DESC Employee Reviews

Great clients, terrible management and HR
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 30, 2016
Never before have I experienced such a poorly managed nonprofit. There is no upward accountability whatsoever, and managers might as well be able to get away with murder. Complaints to HR get forwarded directly to the subject of the complaint, with no attempt whatsoever at mediation.

On a more positive note it is some of the most fulfilling and worthwhile work you can do, it's just a real sad state of affairs that people are taking advantage of the need for housing. (Hint: It's not the clients.)
Pros
Pto, great clients
Cons
Pretty much everything else
I love this place!
Residential Counselor (On-Call) (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 29, 2016
The employees are amazing, and I learned a lot in the short time I was there. I would immediately go back if I ever return to WA
Proud leader in homeless services
Crisis Diversion Facility Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 20, 2015
A national leader in developing services for chronically homeless adults. A pioneer in harm reduction, client-centered, recovery-oriented, housing-first services. I am proud to have been associated with DESC.
Difficult work, but a respectful workplace.
Mobile Crisis Team Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 15, 2014
It's difficult to work in crisis intervention, but DESC does its best to help their employees. The wages aren't the best, but it's not bad considering it's a non-for-profit organization that tries to help everyone regardless of other issues that might bar them from other places. PTO acquires fast, but that's because there are no holidays that are guaranteed off. Good for those who don't celebrate holidays like Labor Day; bad for those who hope to have Christmas and Thanksgiving off. The culture is relaxed--language, attire, even tattoos aren't an issue, as long as you're good to each other and your clients.
Pros
Culture, Pto, client-centered/harm-reduction approach, EXCELLENT (*free*) health insurance
Cons
No holidays off, lower wages
Productive work place
Shelter Counselor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 18, 2014
deal with a lot of homeless adults. Some with mental health issues some who just feel on hard times. Co-workers are nice and easy to work with.
Pros
helping people in need
Cons
Mental health adults could be very hard to deal with at times.
Defense Electronics Supply Center
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Kettering, OHJune 22, 2012
I began working at the Defense Electronics Supply Center in 1986 as a Clerk Typist in the Accounting Department. In 1988, I transferred to the Disbursing Office as a "Cashier" and was later promoted to the Deputy Disbursing Officer in 1990. From 1990-1994, I received two Sustained Superior Performance Awards. The Deputy Disbursing Officer reported to the "Treasurer" and was the 2nd person in command. Their were four people assigned to "The Cage". The office was named "The Cage" because it consisted of a large vault where all financial instrument forms (blank checks and bonds, completed checks that were ready to be mailed, and cash intake). I was responsible for the daily balancing of my drawer and had to prepare a daily deposit for the Brinks Delivery team. I was also responsible for providing in-house employees with travel allowances, and reimbursing their expenses when they returned from travel. Our office prepared three bi-weekly payrolls. The first payroll was the payroll for DESC which consisted of 3000 employees. The 2nd payroll was for a Washington DC payroll, and the 3rd payroll was for the Office of the President of the United States. The 3rd payroll required that I pass a "Top Secret" security clearance. I was also the 2nd in command and was asked on a several occasions to approve the President's payroll amount through the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland. Our office processed President George Bush Sr.'s last payroll check and President Clinton's first payroll check. As with any accounting position, the hardest part of the job was to make sure that everything balanced  more... to the penny. During my employment, I NEVER had a cash balancing error. The most enjoyable part of the job was that it was very active and kept me very busy. I also enjoyed a sense of accomplishment. My co-workers were great and my friend Sue and I still keep in touch through the social networks. During my career, I have a numerous supervisors and I can honestly say that my supervisor, the disbursing officer, and the Accountant still provide me with warm memories.  less
Pros
great co-workers, great daycare, flexible hours.
Cons
i truly can't remember any now.