DESERET BOOK Employee Reviews

Internships here are very fun, just don't get too attached
Product Development (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 12, 2015
I interned here and it was probably the best job I've had so far. The people I worked with were fun and the work was engaging and challenging. I could have stayed on forever, alas internships here don't pay a whole lot ($10/hr) and are only part time. I couldn't support a family on this income, but it was a great experience while it lasted.
Pros
Fun environment, honest and hard work
Cons
Not enough hours or pay to support a family
no way up
Lead Business Intelligence Developer (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 16, 2015
management trusts outside consultants more than trained employees

low pay

dropped the pension when they realized they could save a penny
Fun Work
Bookstore Sales (Current Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORJanuary 18, 2015
an excellent work environment, products you can stand behind and great people to work with.
Productive and fun work environment
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 30, 2014
The people in our office are very productive when it comes to answering phone calls and up-selling any newly released items. When the days are tough, and everyone has been working hard, we feel accomplished just as much as we feel exhausted. We make it a point to let someone know how well they're doing by giving them, what we call, a "You Rock"-buck (which allow you to buy books, CDs, and more; that we have on our "You Rock" bookshelf).
Publications Intern (former)
Publishing Intern/Freelance Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 18, 2014
Deseret Book was a wonderful experience! Interns were given work ranging from proofreading to substantive editing and allowed to work on projects that were of most interest to them. Especially helpful were the weekly intern trainings on a variety of subjects; we were even allowed to suggest things we wanted to learn.
Pros
wonderful people to work with, variety of projects, opportunity to see a big publishing house
Cons
not likely to gain employment after, low compensation, no parking
productive days with calming enviroment.
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTAugust 11, 2014
Began the day with a meeting, then it was putting away merchandise, helping customers with questions, and keeping the store clean. I learned that it is easier to work in the environments where everyone is so nice, helpful, and the area is cleaner. The management is amazing there! They are so kind and loving, they help at any given moment and love their work areas. The co-workers are the same. The hardest part was remembering where to put the books with the different categories. The most enjoyable was the calming environment and how you always leave happy there feeling well.
Pros
the enviroment, the management, the co workers
Cons
the schedule
Wonderful workplace with wonderful cooworkers
Bookstore Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTAugust 1, 2014
I loved my time at Deseret Book. I felt the atmosphere there was one of genuine customer service, feeling that customer satisfaction was held at the highest importance. Co-workers got along well and I felt they were very loyal to one another. Creative suggestions were listened to and appreciated. Manager was fun, grateful and quick to express appreciation.
Pros
30% discount on all products
Hiding in the back of Deseret Books
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 24, 2014
Come in, organize product on shelves in back of store, pull porduct from floor, box and prepare product for shipping.
I learned to keep work and home life separate and communicate with customers as much as possible along with safety is very important in the work place.
The management seemed gossip hungry and lazy. they didn't much care about anything, but being on their computers.
Not being on the floor with customer service was the hardest part and I loved working with personal friends as employees.
Pros
work knowledge, experience
Cons
not much to be excited about
Great Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDAugust 4, 2013
This is a great company, the employees are friendly and I'm always happy to go into work. On a normal day I restock shelves with product, assist customers in finding the items they are looking for, and make sure the store is clean and presentable. On certain days of the week we get freight, and I will help scan in and accept the product into our system. I love my co-workers. Everyone has such a positive attitude and everyone is willing to help each other. It really makes work a pleasant place to be.
Pros
positive environment, great discounts on store product.
Cons
no full time positions available.
Slow, Quiet environment, busy at times but not busy enough.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJune 6, 2013
Working here I have learned more about customer service and about the retail world. I love everyone I work with, occasionally I would have difficult customers and I learned how to deal with people who needed unavailable things right away, or who needed to put themselves before other customers. During the week, it's pretty slow, especially in the evening. I never really found much to do unless we received a shipment or if it was the weekend. The hardest part of the job was not knowing certain pieces of information that I should have known and staying motivated to promote certain things when being constantly turned down. The most enjoyable part was being to help customers find what they need, or helping them find what they don't know they are looking for.
Pros
great people, great environment
Cons
slow weekdays
Peaceful, enjoy helping others work at your own pace
Sales Lead/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  American Fork, UTMarch 1, 2013
It was nice to be able to walk around a store and help others find something to help better their lives. You could work at your own pace and the day went fast or slow depending on you. Co- workers are always friendly. The hardest part of the job was when we would be slow it would be hard to find things to do, the most enjoyable part was the calm atmosphere.
Pros
pay was low, no benefits
Cons
calm friendly atmosphere, job security
Great Atmosphere
Circulation Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 18, 2012
-Great balance between work and life
-Great co-workers who are helpful
-Hardest part in limited ability to grow with the company
Great fun, spiritual atmosphere, management at the time was poor
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Downtown Salt Lake CityNovember 30, 2011
Great people to work with, fun job, up to date software, large inventory, but the manager was very difficult to work with at the time. No one really got along with her which resulted in a lot of devout people quitting including myself.
Pros
really great people for the most part, state of the art software, uplifting environment
Cons
bad manager (at the time), part time mostly, not fit for a career minded person