DESERET BOOK Employee Reviews

Calm and Creative Environment, Limited Budget.
JUNIOR BOOK DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 6, 2017
It was overall a wonderful place to work, with great management and creative design work. However, there was no budget for art, and jobs aren't secure.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Small company
Uplifting and beneficial to customers and employees.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 31, 2017
A typical day included stocking product and helping customers find products they needed. I learned about upselling products to benefit the guests needs and how to effectively communicate with guests. The culture here is AMAZING! Definitely a supportive group. It was nice to feel like you were part of a team that was there to help each other. It was often busy in the middle of the day and the number of customers could become stressful. Over all a great experience.
Pros
Great environment and people
Excelente infraestrutura internacional!
Cantora Lirica (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake County, UTAHOctober 30, 2017
Competência:
COMPROMISSO COM RESULTADOS
Contribuições Efetivas
O trabalho se adiciona voluntariamente sem beneficio salarial, mas, comprometido a conceder, total estrutura, procedimento a qual é dado aos voluntários convidados a ceder seus dons e talentos para boa ações filantrôpicas e sem fins lucrativos.
Assume responsabilidades diante das situações e demandas profissionais, observadas suas atribuições.
Administra o tempo para execução das atividades, finalizando os trabalhos dentro dos prazos acordados, otimizando a utilização dos recursos.
Monitora e avalia o trabalho de forma sistemática, fazendo as devidas correções em busca de melhorias contínuas.
Assessoria de impressa
Cultura organizacional
Estrutura organizacional
Mapa estratégico
Missão, Visão e Valores
Normas e legislação da área de atuação
Projetos Estruturadores
Técnicas de gerenciamento de projetos
Adaptabilidade/ flexibilidade
Análise de situações / cenários
Multifuncionalidade
Planejamento
Priorização de tarefas
Solução de problemas
Visão de longo prazo/ futuro
Visão sistêmica
Respeito à diversidade
Ser dedicado
Ser integrador
Ser otimista
Ser proativo
Pros
Excelente estrutura
Cons
sem contras
Sales Associate/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTAugust 30, 2017
This was a great place to work. Helping customers with their needs was wonderful. Very productive, sometimes it was very busy but all in all I loved working there.
Pros
good atmosphere
Easy going atmosphere and amazing people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 7, 2017
You will get to work with some of the most amazing people. The people that come into the bookstore are incredible. You'll get to meet people from all over the world. It's an amazing job and people there are always so kind. The hardest part about the job will be gaining product knowledge, but that will come after you've been there for a little bit.
Learn new things and enjoy work environment.
Supply Chain Intern (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 9, 2017
As a Supply Chain Intern, I have learned a great deal about supply chain such as making inventory decisions, creating inventory related charts, and working as a team to meet desired inventory levels. I enjoy the everyday work environment.
Great Atmosphere - Poor Wages
Bookseller & Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  UtahMay 9, 2017
Working for Deseret Book is emotionally fulfilling and engaging. The customers are usually cordial and friendly, and the staff are charming people. A typical day at work is filled with basic maintaining of the organization of the store, greeting customers, restocking shelves, and knowing about upcoming items. There is quite a bit of standing but it's not too bad. Management is fantastic, they are intelligent, driven people with an ear to lend to their employees. They are always easy to work with, and work hard. The hardest part of the job is the uncertain hours and long hours on your feet. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people; coworkers, customers, management, and corporate team members are all wonderful.
Pros
Great Atmosphere, Fun People, Special Events
Cons
Short Breaks, No Benefits, Low Pay
Uplifting atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDApril 8, 2017
Loved working for this company. They really treat their employees with love and respect. They really encourage customer service and they follow through with their promises.
High-production publishing company with great culture and home/work balance
EDITING AND PRODUCTION INTERN (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 30, 2017
The management at Deseret Book consists of very down-to-earth, kind people for whom a good work/home balance is a priority. The office culture is upbeat and manages to be highly productive while never feeling terribly high-pressure. As an intern, the pay is of course nowhere near as good as a full-time employee, but the networking opportunities and résumé-building projects you're entrusted with are well worth it. Plus, once again, it's great office culture and great people you get to work with.
Pros
Free soda machine, very nice people, work/home balance
Excellent Company
supervisor (Former Employee) –  American Fork, UTJanuary 11, 2017
I enjoyed working at Deseret Book very much. They care about you as an individual and your own personal needs. It helps that they are a family oriented company that offers the best products for you and your family.
Pros
wonderful enviroment
Cons
doesnt pay very well
Once a great place to work - not anymore.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  USAOctober 24, 2016
It used to be a great company to work for, but this has changed. There is no trust in this company. The current VP of Retail Sales does a lot of things to undermine the store manager's relationship to the rest of the store staff, as a result the staff doesn't trust the manager because they think corporate doesn't, the manager doesn't trust corporate because they don't have the managers back, the manager doesn't trust the store staff because they are encouraged to talk about the manager behind his/her back, corporate doesn't trust the manager because of all the stuff said behind his/her back (without bothering to find out if it is true or not), and the staff doesn't trust corporate because they can see they way they are being manipulated by corporate.

One night I was called at home by my staff because there was some water leaking in from a nearby restaurant. I was home alone with my 3 year old daughter, who was asleep, and had no vehicle to get there, so I told my staff they would need to handle it until I could get there (and they were perfectly capable of doing so). The VP was later told that I simply told my staff to "deal with it". When I explained that I couldn't go to the store right away that night I was told by the VP that I should have woken up my 3 year old daughter, bundled her up, (it was a cold night) and walked to the store. It was at that point I knew I was no longer working for a family friendly company. Lately there have been more store managers hired who are single than those who have families, and those who have families have been pushed out.
  more...
Communication is horrible. I was often criticized by the VP for not communicating with my staff, when he was guilty of the same thing. Heaven forbid you point that out to him. He loves his "Yes" men and women. If you can kiss up you will do fine. The VP loves to make changes to the way things were done before he joined the company, but he would rarely admit to a decision of his needing to be changed. He would just dig in his heels and claim that the problem was elsewhere.

Also money always comes first at Deseret Book. There is a lot of focus on engaging customers and giving great customer service, but that is only so customers will spend more.

There are some great people at Deseret Book, but unfortunately because of the current VP and some of thing things he has done in the last few years there is a great culture of distrust at Deseret Book. It was once a great place to work, and could be again, but I don't see that happening until some personal at corporate are gone.
Pros
Great people and products.
Cons
No trust, pay is low, retail can be brutal.
Good Learning experience
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTAugust 24, 2016
Working at Deseret Book was good. It was a great learning experience. I loved the people I worked with, but the management wasn't the best. I felt like I wasn't really listened to and they didn't respect you. But I loved the people I got to know and my other coworkers.
Awesome work environment!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saint George, UTAugust 22, 2016
Great work environment and benefits through investing. Co-workers are great and all work in a team. The management really cares about the employees. Low pay.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low pay
A fun company that put the needs of the customers and families first.
Purchasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 11, 2016
Deseret Book is a great family-oriented company to work for. My job was to manage inventory in the stores. I needed to make sure that the stores had what they need and fulfilled special orders for customers.

A typical day would be to run reports and make sure that the stores had enough inventory in the stores, to answer item requests from the stores, and to make sure that the Oracle system was ordering what the stores needed.

I have learned that one person cannot handle the inventory alone. It is important to have a team who can help handle the load. Teamwork is important when making sure that the stores have what they need for their customers.

The manager was great to work with. He was understanding and helped make sure Oracle was running as it should be. He was fair and made sure that everyone had what they needed in order to do their job.

I worked with a team of Purchasing Specialists who worked together to make sure the customers came first. We would help one another with questions and cover for each other when out of the office.

The hardest part of the job was to make sure that the store's had enough inventory. Sometimes the stores would end up with too much inventory. It is never easy to get the numbers right, but I worked to get as close as I could.

The most enjoyable part of the job was making sure the customers had what they needed. To be able to fulfill requests and watch as the stores receive the product for their customers who requested them.
Pros
Adjustable Schedules
Cons
Some reports were boring, but needed to be done.
Good atmosphere
Cashier/Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTMay 13, 2016
Really good music, co-workers were good to work with. Management was confused and did not all say the same thing. Would like to work there again in the future just with different leaders.
It's a great place to work when you are attending college.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDJanuary 13, 2016
It has a great atmosphere and it really is a good job to have. You have the sense of accomplishment when you help a customer find the right book that they need at that time.
Internships here are very fun, just don't get too attached
Product Development (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 12, 2015
I interned here and it was probably the best job I've had so far. The people I worked with were fun and the work was engaging and challenging. I could have stayed on forever, alas internships here don't pay a whole lot ($10/hr) and are only part time. I couldn't support a family on this income, but it was a great experience while it lasted.
Pros
Fun environment, honest and hard work
Cons
Not enough hours or pay to support a family
no way up
Lead Business Intelligence Developer (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 16, 2015
management trusts outside consultants more than trained employees

low pay

dropped the pension when they realized they could save a penny
Fun Work
Bookstore Sales (Current Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORJanuary 18, 2015
an excellent work environment, products you can stand behind and great people to work with.
Productive and fun work environment
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 30, 2014
The people in our office are very productive when it comes to answering phone calls and up-selling any newly released items. When the days are tough, and everyone has been working hard, we feel accomplished just as much as we feel exhausted. We make it a point to let someone know how well they're doing by giving them, what we call, a "You Rock"-buck (which allow you to buy books, CDs, and more; that we have on our "You Rock" bookshelf).