DESERET BOOK

DESERET BOOK Employer Reviews

Publications Intern (former)
Publishing Intern/Freelance Reviewer (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: wonderful people to work with, variety of projects, opportunity to see a big publishing house
Cons: not likely to gain employment after, low compensation, no parking
Deseret Book was a wonderful experience! Interns were given work ranging from proofreading to substantive editing and allowed to work on projects that were of most interest to them. Especially helpful were the weekly intern trainings on a variety of subjects; we were even allowed to suggest things we wanted to learn.
productive days with calming enviroment.
Book Seller (Former Employee), West Jordan, UTAugust 11, 2014
Pros: the enviroment, the management, the co workers
Cons: the schedule
Began the day with a meeting, then it was putting away merchandise, helping customers with questions, and keeping the store clean. I learned that it is easier to work in the environments where everyone is so nice, helpful, and the area is cleaner. The management is amazing there! They are so kind and loving, they help at any given moment and love their – more... work areas. The co-workers are the same. The hardest part was remembering where to put the books with the different categories. The most enjoyable was the calming environment and how you always leave happy there feeling well. – less
Wonderful workplace with wonderful cooworkers
Bookstore Supervisor (Former Employee), Ogden, UTAugust 1, 2014
Pros: 30% discount on all products
I loved my time at Deseret Book. I felt the atmosphere there was one of genuine customer service, feeling that customer satisfaction was held at the highest importance. Co-workers got along well and I felt they were very loyal to one another. Creative suggestions were listened to and appreciated. Manager was fun, grateful and quick to express appreciation.
Hiding in the back of Deseret Books
Product Manager (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMay 24, 2014
Pros: work knowledge, experience
Cons: not much to be excited about
Come in, organize product on shelves in back of store, pull porduct from floor, box and prepare product for shipping.
I learned to keep work and home life separate and communicate with customers as much as possible along with safety is very important in the work place.
The management seemed gossip hungry and lazy. they didn't much care about anything, – more... but being on their computers.
Not being on the floor with customer service was the hardest part and I loved working with personal friends as employees. – less
Great Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Boise, IDAugust 4, 2013
Pros: positive environment, great discounts on store product.
Cons: no full time positions available.
This is a great company, the employees are friendly and I'm always happy to go into work. On a normal day I restock shelves with product, assist customers in finding the items they are looking for, and make sure the store is clean and presentable. On certain days of the week we get freight, and I will help scan in and accept the product into our system. – more... I love my co-workers. Everyone has such a positive attitude and everyone is willing to help each other. It really makes work a pleasant place to be. – less
Slow, Quiet environment, busy at times but not busy enough.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Bellevue, WAJune 6, 2013
Pros: great people, great environment
Cons: slow weekdays
Working here I have learned more about customer service and about the retail world. I love everyone I work with, occasionally I would have difficult customers and I learned how to deal with people who needed unavailable things right away, or who needed to put themselves before other customers. During the week, it's pretty slow, especially in the evening. – more... I never really found much to do unless we received a shipment or if it was the weekend. The hardest part of the job was not knowing certain pieces of information that I should have known and staying motivated to promote certain things when being constantly turned down. The most enjoyable part was being to help customers find what they need, or helping them find what they don't know they are looking for. – less
Peaceful, enjoy helping others work at your own pace
Sales Lead/Key Holder (Former Employee), American Fork, UTMarch 1, 2013
Pros: pay was low, no benefits
Cons: calm friendly atmosphere, job security
It was nice to be able to walk around a store and help others find something to help better their lives. You could work at your own pace and the day went fast or slow depending on you. Co- workers are always friendly. The hardest part of the job was when we would be slow it would be hard to find things to do, the most enjoyable part was the calm atmosphere.
Great Atmosphere
Circulation Manager (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJune 18, 2012
-Great balance between work and life
-Great co-workers who are helpful
-Hardest part in limited ability to grow with the company
Great fun, spiritual atmosphere, management at the time was poor
Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Downtown Salt Lake CityNovember 30, 2011
Pros: really great people for the most part, state of the art software, uplifting environment
Cons: bad manager (at the time), part time mostly, not fit for a career minded person
Great people to work with, fun job, up to date software, large inventory, but the manager was very difficult to work with at the time. No one really got along with her which resulted in a lot of devout people quitting including myself.

About DESERET BOOK

While the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints handles the spiritual, Deseret Management takes care of the worldly. The – Read more