Desert Dunes Animal Hospital is a privately owned, busy, Veterinary Hospital in the Coachella Valley. We are looking to hire a personable, energetic, and reliable Veterinary Technician that is comfortable working with both small and large animals. Must be able to lift 25 lbs, perform general physical activities that require bending, standing, stooping, moving from room to room; may be required to walk or stand for long periods of time; will use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel; will reach with hands and arms. This position requires a working knowledge of pharmaceutical drugs, common disease; their symptoms, means of transmission, treatment and prevention, and other basic preventative health care recommendations. Must have common knowledge of the structure and content of the English language, including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar. Must have strong communication and client service skills. Considerable tact and diplomacy is required. Ability to work well with team members, clients and patients in a professional, friendly, hospitable manner. Regular attendance and timeliness are an essential function in order to fulfill the requirements of this position. Candidates at times will be required to work weekends and evenings. This position requires a minimum of 2 years experience, graduate of an accredited technical training program is preferred.
Primary job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Obtain and record patient histories.
- Collect specimens and perform routine laboratory procedures and tests in hematology, biochemistry, chemistry, microbiology, urinalysis, and serology to assist in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health problems.
- Dispense and administer medications, vaccines, serums and treatments as prescribed by veterinarians.
- Take digital radiographs.
- IV catheter placement and maintenance.
- Administering fluids and blood products prescribed by the veterinarian.
- Prepare patients, instruments, and equipment for surgery.
- Provide specialized nursing care for injured or ill animals.
- Clean, maintain and sterilize instruments, equipment and materials.
- Inducing, monitoring, and maintaining animals under anesthesia.