Desert Research Institute Employee Reviews in United States

Not a bad place to work, but pay is low.
HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 15, 2016
I enjoy my time at DRI. The culture is nice, the people are friendly, and my superiors are understanding of mistakes or trials. There are lots of opportunities for free food as there are lots of catered lunches with leftovers- so that's pretty neat.
Pros
Free lunch (sometimes), nice people
Cons
Low pay.
Poorly treated, not organized, unprofessional
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 13, 2016
DRI is not a bad company, however some of the people in higher positions do not treat their subordinates well. I got disrespected and blamed for many things that aren't in my control. My superiors often blamed me for their mistakes and did not believe me when I diagnosised problems in the lab. Pay was quite good, but not much room for advancement. Some of the techniques in the lab didn't seem reasonable, cutting corners at places and superiors don't care to here a fix for it.
Pros
Decent Pay, Interesting co-workers
Cons
Disrespectful management, Get ready to take the blame
Nice, polite people; fun and safe place to work; 98% of the employees treat each other respectfully
Receptionist/Scheduler/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 16, 2012
At DRI, employees stay because of the excellent culture employees, specially the upper management, that has been developed and adopted. Employees don't feel threatened or inferior as everyone treats each other with respect.

Time management and being on top of things are disciplines I have learned a great deal during my employment at DRI. I enjoyed the trust that was given to me by my supervisors that they gave me the chance to do other duties outside the scope of my position.

Truly enjoyable and fun place to work. If offered a position again, I'd be accepting it without hesitation and reservations.
Pros
flexible with time when needed; great benefits; awesome people to work with
Cons
because employees love working at dri, there's limited room for career advancement.
Great place to work and expand your scientific knowledge.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 30, 2015
DRI has given me a great work ethic and they have a very relaxed work environment. Work hours are very lenient as a research assistant. Co-workers and employees were all very knowledgeable and experienced in there fields.
Exciting workplace with many innovative people
Chemist (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 16, 2015
This is a demanding but exciting workplace, with many intelligent people working on state-of-the-art challenges. I was pleased to be part of their team, but ultimately was not part on their ongoing vision.
Excellant company
HR Payroll Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 26, 2012
Working at DRI was an excellant challenge and having the ability to advance within the company.
Pros
pay/benefits
Ability to plan and carry out assignments effectively
Facilities Building Maintainer III (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 11, 2012
I enjoyed the daily meetings with my co-workers, listened to their imput on projects, everyday maintenance performance to assess situations and handle difficult and sensitive issues effectively, and building strategic working relationships by communicating information and ideas in these meetings. I learned how to make effective decisions dealing with problems, new challenges and change. The most enjoyable part of the job was the comfort of being a team player with different crafted professionals, who had different ideas to share, to represent DRI professionally with regular and consistent teamwork. The hardest part of the job was that I could not utilize my expertise in purchasing and operating budgets to save the Company thousands of dollars a year more, because of established vendors. I have always enjoyed running a tight ship to effectively and efficiently run a project or a business at the lowest cost possible. I enjoyed getting more product for the company's money when I could. Overall the experience was fantastic. I really enjoyed working with all the staff members and my supervisor.
Pros
during monthly safety meetings, the company provided catered meals.
Cons
we as employees had to take 12 yearly furlough days unpaid.
Excellent place to work.
Community Environmental Monitor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 21, 2014
I enjoyed everything about the job. The training and pay are very reasonable. Everyone was enjoyable to work for until the economy went sour.
Pros
the summer workshops and training.
Cons
the attitudes of some of the supervisors during the past four years.
DRI,Productive and a fun workplace
Building Technician Plumber (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas NV,December 27, 2011
as a plumber maintenace at DRI, this was a temporary job,through
Manpower.
Pros
1/2hr lunches
Cons
tow feting mnt; breaks