Desert Research Institute Employee Reviews

Great work place for Scientists
Soils Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVNovember 22, 2016
Great work environment! Great people and good systems in place to accomplish high quality science. The management cares about their employees and make sure everyone understands expectations.
Great people and I had my own cubicle!
Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 6, 2016
I would leave school and drive to Reno. I would sit down at my cubicle and start on my work. It would be anything that my boss assigned me. Then after a few hours I would drive back to home so I could do homework and study. My co workers were all people who worked with weather programs and were always on their own projects. However they were always willing to help me when I had a hiccup. My hardest part was coding because I had no experience before this job. I had to learn form the basics but at the end I could complete any task my boss gave me! My most enjoyable was that I got to be learning new skills, it also was enjoyable because it felt like a professional job with my own space. They trusted me to get my jobs down and I proved that they made a good choice.
Pros
Own cubicle
Cons
Far away from home, complicated tasks
A very positive environment to work in.
Web developer - Intern (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 2, 2016
Very friendly people.
I have learnt a lot by working in DRI. I have faced the real world problems during the course of the project and learnt how to overcome them successfully.
Pros
Can have a good academic growth
Poorly treated, not organized, unprofessional
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 13, 2016
DRI is not a bad company, however some of the people in higher positions do not treat their subordinates well. I got disrespected and blamed for many things that aren't in my control. My superiors often blamed me for their mistakes and did not believe me when I diagnosised problems in the lab. Pay was quite good, but not much room for advancement. Some of the techniques in the lab didn't seem reasonable, cutting corners at places and superiors don't care to here a fix for it.
Pros
Decent Pay, Interesting co-workers
Cons
Disrespectful management, Get ready to take the blame
Not a bad place to work, but pay is low.
HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 15, 2016
I enjoy my time at DRI. The culture is nice, the people are friendly, and my superiors are understanding of mistakes or trials. There are lots of opportunities for free food as there are lots of catered lunches with leftovers- so that's pretty neat.
Pros
Free lunch (sometimes), nice people
Cons
Low pay.
Great place to work and expand your scientific knowledge.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 30, 2015
DRI has given me a great work ethic and they have a very relaxed work environment. Work hours are very lenient as a research assistant. Co-workers and employees were all very knowledgeable and experienced in there fields.
Exciting workplace with many innovative people
Chemist (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 16, 2015
This is a demanding but exciting workplace, with many intelligent people working on state-of-the-art challenges. I was pleased to be part of their team, but ultimately was not part on their ongoing vision.
Great scientific research occurs at the Institute and I was honored to be a part of it.
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 24, 2013
Air sampling was completed in the field. I was to change out the filters of the automated air sampling machine. I was then to carefully document anything regarding the filters appearance, then package the filter for shipping back to the Research Institute.
I enjoyed working out in the field and learned much of air sampling analysis and data recording.
Ability to plan and carry out assignments effectively
Facilities Building Maintainer III (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 11, 2012
I enjoyed the daily meetings with my co-workers, listened to their imput on projects, everyday maintenance performance to assess situations and handle difficult and sensitive issues effectively, and building strategic working relationships by communicating information and ideas in these meetings. I learned how to make effective decisions dealing with problems, new challenges and change. The most enjoyable part of the job was the comfort of being a team player with different crafted professionals, who had different ideas to share, to represent DRI professionally with regular and consistent teamwork. The hardest part of the job was that I could not utilize my expertise in purchasing and operating budgets to save the Company thousands of dollars a year more, because of established vendors. I have always enjoyed running a tight ship to effectively and efficiently run a project or a business at the lowest cost possible. I enjoyed getting more product for the company's money when I could. Overall the experience was fantastic. I really enjoyed working with all the staff members and my supervisor.
Pros
during monthly safety meetings, the company provided catered meals.
Cons
we as employees had to take 12 yearly furlough days unpaid.
Excellant company
HR Payroll Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 26, 2012
Working at DRI was an excellant challenge and having the ability to advance within the company.
Pros
pay/benefits
Nice, polite people; fun and safe place to work; 98% of the employees treat each other respectfully
Receptionist/Scheduler/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 16, 2012
At DRI, employees stay because of the excellent culture employees, specially the upper management, that has been developed and adopted. Employees don't feel threatened or inferior as everyone treats each other with respect.

Time management and being on top of things are disciplines I have learned a great deal during my employment at DRI. I enjoyed the trust that was given to me by my supervisors that they gave me the chance to do other duties outside the scope of my position.

Truly enjoyable and fun place to work. If offered a position again, I'd be accepting it without hesitation and reservations.
Pros
flexible with time when needed; great benefits; awesome people to work with
Cons
because employees love working at dri, there's limited room for career advancement.
DRI,Productive and a fun workplace
Building Technician Plumber (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas NV,December 27, 2011
as a plumber maintenace at DRI, this was a temporary job,through
Manpower.
Pros
1/2hr lunches
Cons
tow feting mnt; breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Desert Research Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2