Desert Sands Unified School District Employee Reviews

Management changes often, with different ideas
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  La Quinta, CAJune 21, 2017
This is a wonderful place to work, with job security, if the Management likes you. The workload is heavy, but fun and keeps your day busy. I learned a lot, and the people there are friendly. My job was auditing, and paying utilities, and recycling.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
managers
Great Company
Applied Behavior Assistant (Current Employee) –  La Quinta, CAMay 16, 2017
Great Company to Work for, I have great coworkers, the pay is decent and it is a great schedule for my family. I am in by 8 and out by three o clock. I get to see my family more often. The kids are fun to work with.
Wonderful district
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  La Quinta, CAApril 24, 2017
Great opportunity for future work in schools. Comparable pay. Great administration to work with. Allows guest teachers to afford to work on a flexible schedule.
Very good school district
Substitute Para-educator Special Education (Current Employee) –  La Quinta, CAFebruary 14, 2017
Desert Sands is an excellent school district serving the needs of all public education students. We have the most amazing teachers and staff. A very positive work environment.
Creative Place to work at
Yard Supervisor (Current Employee) –  La Quinta, CADecember 13, 2016
Desert Sands Unified School District is a great place to start at if you enjoy working with children. It's a friendly family like environment, Has benefits and career advancing opportunities.
Pros
Friendly environment
currently working with special needs children in a classroom setting and also one on one.
Substitute Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Desert Sands Unified School District areaOctober 16, 2015
currently employed as a substitute para educator working with special needs children. Mostly children with severe disabilities. Working in a group setting with other aids in a classroom and also a one on one with a student.
autonomous and full of variety
Guest Art Teacher (Current Employee) –  La Quinta, CASeptember 3, 2015
In this structured and at the same time autonomous environment,
I was given a great deal of opportunity to experiment and grow as a teacher and manager. Each day had such variety and unexpected occurrences, that I was constantly challenged, able to further develop problem solving skills, and hone and refine my interpersonal relationships with people. Because of the bureaucracy of a large organization, it always took a lot of time to get the supplies I needed or things fixed, but with that I find ways to work with whatever I had at the time and with what was working. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with students. Had great support from the administrative staff and co-workers.
Pros
close to home
Cons
low pay, no benefits
Great school district
LONG TERM SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Bermuda Dunes, CAFebruary 5, 2015
I enjoyed working in the Desert Sands Unified School District. The teachers I worked with were professional and caring.
Demanding work environment
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  La Quinta, CAJanuary 6, 2015
Wonderful way to make a difference, high stress and little support from management due to unrealistic caseloads. Not a family friendly place to work. A good match for independent self-starters and self-managed people.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
poor balance between work and family life
Continually searching for new methodology and .making changes
Bilingual Primary Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  La Quinta, CAAugust 30, 2014
This is a challenging environment for teachers and administrators who want to make an impact on the lives of students.
Teachers are supported with new methodology and new technology in order to keep records and employ new teaching strategies.
Hardest part of the job is supporting students as they are subjected to tests on nearly a daily basis. The balance of time for learning vs the time spent on testing in the students day could be improved to allow more time for teaching and learning.
The most enjoyable part of the job is serving children who are really in need of a relationship with a teacher who cares about their welfare, their learning and their future.
Pros
Buildings are modern and have updated technology. Good air conditioning
Cons
Uncredentialed staff work with students on class assignments in after school programs
Enjoyable job
Teacher (Former Employee) –  La Quinta, CAJanuary 10, 2014
Avery enjoyable job. teaching is rewarding but also very time consuming.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Time consuming after school day is over.
DSUSD appears to be an excellent school district.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  La Quinta, CASeptember 4, 2013
Our student loves her teacher and has had a excellent education so far.
Business, educator and Administrative
High School Teacher, Computers, Business (Former Employee) –  La Quinta, CAAugust 4, 2013
Clerical
Administrative
Managerial
Organizer
Engaging
Detailed oriented
Pros
Busy
Cons
Great place to work but not very steady.
Para-Educator (Current Employee) –  La Quinta, CAMay 3, 2013
I work here as a substitute so work is not generally steady. I love working with the children but I need more steady work.
Fine
substitute teacher (Former Employee) –  La Quinta, CAFebruary 6, 2013
Fine. It was a good place to work with lots of nice people and students. Most of this area is middle to upper middle class.
Desert Sands Unified is committed to the well-being of both their students and their teaching staff.
Long-Term Substitute Teacher - Intervention (Former Employee) –  La Quinta, CASeptember 4, 2012
For four years, I worked primarily as a long-term substitute teacher in the Desert Sands Unified School District. At each job site, they treated me with the same respect as the regular teaching staff. In short, it was a very professional work experience.