Desert Schools Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews in United States

Fun Place to work!
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 6, 2015
Great company. Great Vision and Values. Very fun coworkers and team members. Work life balance is good and they offer great benefits. It's going to be tough leaving this company.
tense, Micromanage enviroment
Credit Assistance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 3, 2015
My Typical day at work consist of, Logging into the system, making sure all application are working. clocking in for work. Making Outbound calls on accounts that are past due, or have negative checking account. analysising why they are negative, and contacting the customer to arrange for them to bring it current before it charges off.
benefits
Cons
management
NEVER recommend this place
Teller (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 24, 2016
You have to be a sales driven person to work here. If you DO NOT meet the sales quota for the month, they'll write you up with a warning. Next time they'll fire you. Simply Corporate GREED. FAVORITISM GALORE. VERY LONG HOURS.
Pros
Health Care
Cons
Corporate GREED, Favoritism & Long Hours
Run. They allow employees to be bullied.
Marketing Employee (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 19, 2015
The good:
They raise a lot of money for the community and have lots of volunteer activities for employees. The pay is competitive in some areas of the business with 401k matching, flex spending, etc. There are employees who really care about the member experience and moving the business forward.

The bad:
If you’re considering working at Desert Schools in any back office position here is what you need to know. At one time I’m sure this place had a heart, cared for their employees and took employee complaints about management seriously. Today leaders are allowed to mistreat, target, bully and create a hostile work environment with no consequence. To read more about how the IT department is managed and how the organization and HR have dealt with complaints please read the review titled “Just. Don't.”

If you’re a marketing professional considering employment at Desert Schools please reconsider. The executive marketing leadership in this company is incompetent with no technical, strategic, tactical or applied knowledge of marketing. Instead of innovating, unactionable member data is presented year after year to executive leadership and never applied to any marketing strategies, tactics or plans. The marketing department has no yearly planning, goals, objectives or accountability for its budget or performance; it simply follows the sales goals set at the beginning of year.

For seven years it’s Groundhog Day, throwing away money on banner ads, sending untargeted emails and tripping over each other to understand the basics of SEM, social media, lead generation and branding.
  more... Each year the Creative Team is a slave to corporate clients who get what they want no matter how ludicrous, ineffective and despite negative ROI.

The real creativity and strategic effort that comes from this department is met with opposition from the all areas of the business because the executive marketing leadership cannot effectively speak to the strategies directors and senior staff inside the department recommend. This includes baseline strategies like content marketing, inbound marketing and targeted campaigns.

Because of this and because one particular executive marketing leader felt threatened or couldn’t deal with conflict; new talent hired within the past two years has been systematically bullied, targeted and unjustly performance managed out of the organization. These are leaders with mottos such as “Make my life easy and make me look good.”

Over the course of the last year, a large group within the marketing team filed a joint complaint against a member of the executive marketing leadership along with several other individual complaints about this individual. These complaints covered items like lack of communication, favoritism, severe lack of integrity, unprofessional behavior, bullying, targeting individuals and trying to get them fired because they disagree, stripping responsibilities from employees in retaliation, moving groups of people to different floors in retaliation, fits of rage and many other items.

This wasn’t the first time that complaints had been filed against this particular executive leader by marketing employees, it had occurred more than once in previous years. But, despite the continued efforts of the employees to get help and defend against this marketing leader, the situation was swept under the rug and blamed on poor communication. HR provided no relief from the leader's systemic vindictive actions; they handled it casually with no communication or visible consequence. The CEO/President, Executive President and HR allowed this executive marketing leader to continue to destroy morale and target employees for termination.
amazing company to work for and grow
Assistant Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 22, 2016
manager always available to coach and support staff and made it fun to come into work everyday. every employee loved their job and it showed in the results. customer service was key in our organization and it was not uncommon to see employees being recognized for going above and beyond for assisting members. I learned a lot and I was able to utilize all my skills on a daily basis
Pros
great people, amazing organization
Cons
no cons
No work advancement in departments
Consumer Loan Funding Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 21, 2015
Management always changing. Co-workers always complaining about low pay advancement unless you were upper management.
Pros
Clean building
Cons
Turn over high
Very closed environment
Employee (Current Employee) –  PhoenixSeptember 8, 2015
It will be hard for new comers because of the very closed environment. Closed environment enables good work/life balance and job security but it also means refusal to change and improper behavior can be tolerated because of your seniority.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
slow and closed environment
Caring People but Slow to Chnage
Quality Analyst (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AzMarch 10, 2015
With a company primarily focused on members located within Arizona you would assume that changes could be made at a quicker pace. The people are amazing and very caring about you as a person and employee. It became tougher and tougher to believe in the direction of the company with each new day. The top down approach for many important topics was not commonly used.
Pros
people, benefits, atmosphere
Cons
slow to change for the better
Sales driven, but enjoyable atmosphere
Teller (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 9, 2015
Overall an enjoyable job, save for the constant pressure to sell products to every member that comes in. There were also constant promotional campaigns that often did not fit the needs of each member but were required to be discussed anyway. Management was decent, save for constantly pitting coworkers against each other in sales competitions. Customer service and satisfaction did not matter as much as the numbers at the end of the month.
Pros
Great coworkers, lots of life-relevant training and work, excellent members
Cons
Continuation of employment depends on sales, not customer service
More like a bank, bad management, cant work with schedule, FAVORITISM
Teller (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 15, 2015
More of a bank, only tries to help the community out so they can look better, the manager doesn't even act like a manager and doesn't even know what they are doing, The teller knows more what they are doing in then manager, doesn't care about the customers only wants the solutions. They cannot work with your schedule, once you are stuck you are STUCK. DO NOT RECOMMED WORKING HERE
Pros
benefits for part times
Cons
favoritism, unfair, selfish
Produnctive, fun, rewarding.
Teller (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZFebruary 24, 2016
I Loved working at Desert Schools Federal Credit Union it was unfortunate that I had to leave, if I had the opportunity to go back to work there I WOULD DEFFINATLY TAKE IT.
Business Loan Dept
Lender (Former Employee) –  Pho townJuly 9, 2015
No one including human resources will do the right thing when it comes to hostile work environments. Director of Credit is a psycho, yelling intimidating tyrant that has a dislike for women. His favorite things include temper tantrums, throwing around his laptop, and dropping f-bombs in staff meetings. So glad to not work there anymore. And people are required to participate in "anonymous" surveys that rate the company on the list of Best Places to work. If you don't participate, your manager gets an email list of names who did not participate in surveys. Go figure, but stay away from this credit union. Too political, too small company with a small minded management in a big city
Pros
paycheck
Cons
work environment and managers
Awesome people and place to work for.
Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 16, 2015
Great place to work with. All employees, and management are very professional. Constant training provided as well as helping the community and each other.
Environment that promotes learning and expanding your skill set.
Service Manager of Enterprise Services - Desktop (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 1, 2014
I started with Desert Schools over two years ago. Upon learning about my skill rich background they allowed me the freedom to use those skills, even outside my own department, to assist those within I.T. who needed help. I originally started in a Tier 2 Support Role in Desktop but worked some responsibilities of Network Engineering into my day to day duties. I played an integral role in the programming and deployment of Cisco 7940 and 7960 phones. I also managed to gain responsibilities working with Network/System Administration in the creation of packages in SCCM 2007 and 2012 as well has setting up Printers, DHCP Reservations and managing User/Group accounts.
Pros
credit union access, community and charity involvement, learning environment, great culture.
Cons
compensation not particularly on par with regional averages.
This job is not exactly my cup of tea!
Teller/Member Solutions Representative (Current Employee) –  Surprise, AZOctober 23, 2012
At DSFCU, I deal with members on a daily basis. I provide them with the best possible solutions to help them meet or exceed their financial goals. I open accounts, perform account maintenance such as adding joint owners, ordering copies, etc., all while giving them exceptionally outstanding customer service. At DSFCU we hold our service standards extremely high. I do love this about Desert Schools. The hardest part of the job is exceeding our monthly sales goals. There are times that I am so busy with helping members and handling their initial request and resolving certain issues that I am forced my management to sell something I don't think will benefit them. What I do enjoy about the job is the administrative tasks and the interaction with the members. They come to me, personally, to solve all of their banking needs and that makes me feel very humble. However, I am currently looking for a different job where I can utitlize my skills with possible room for advancement.
Pros
benefits, paid time off, floating holidays
Cons
high sales goals, long and late hours
Nice place to work but had it's drawbacks.
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 29, 2015
Okay place to work but difficult management. Manager would get angry at times. I helped the company with improvements in their financial analysis methods
Pleasure to work for them
Teller (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZNovember 10, 2014
Process members transactions, offering new services to members help members with any kind of problem. co-workers where a pleasure to be with them I don't think my duties where hard at all
the most enjoyable part of the job was helping out costumers.
Pros
great benefits
Fun working environment with excellent management team
Teller (Former Employee) –  Phoenix ArizonaJune 3, 2015
Working at Desert Schools FCU was such a learning experience. It was my very first job and I was unsure of many things such as working environment, customer services and co-workers but after excellent training and in-branch support, I felt very comfortable with my job duties. I loved the fast paced work environment. Being a teller requires you to be fast, accurate, friendly. I was very quick to learn how to navigate computer system and was the fastest teller in my district. However it was very difficult to achieve my sales goal when there was a large line of people waiting in front of you. It was easier once I learned how to prioritize and balance fast service and quality service but it was a learning process. I enjoyed interacting with customers every day.
Pros
discount on better checking account
Cons
low wage
Productive and fun place to work
Collections Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 16, 2015
A typical day at work would be me coming into work and initiating my own work load. With this ability to initaite my own workload, I would be able to call our members, and talk about their options for negative or neglected checkin/savings accounts. My co workers were very influential in both the job and any other wuestions that I had in regards to the task at hand. The hardest part of the job would have had to be when i first learned the job, everything was new. My most enjoyable part of my job was the job itself. I was able to conduct my own work load, while still being able to meet my goals and quotas by the end of my day. I enjoyed being able to take time and research each members account before I called them to discuss options on their account(s).
Pros
great evironment, great people
Cons
location
A company that cares
Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 16, 2015
Desert Schools is a company that truly tries to do the right thing. It is wonderful to know that I am not working for a company that is into shady things and has their employees' best interest in mind. I would definitely recommend working here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Desert Schools Federal Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.