Desert Schools Federal Credit Union

Desert Schools Federal Credit Union Employer Reviews

More like a bank, bad management, cant work with schedule, FAVORITISM
Teller (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: benefits for part times
Cons: favoritism, unfair, selfish
More of a bank, only tries to help the community out so they can look better, the manager doesn't even act like a manager and doesn't even know what they are doing, The teller knows more what they are doing in then manager, doesn't care about the customers only wants the solutions. They cannot work with your schedule, once you are stuck you are STUCK. DO NOT RECOMMED WORKING HERE
Pleasure to work for them
Teller (Former Employee), Glendale, AZNovember 10, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Process members transactions, offering new services to members help members with any kind of problem. co-workers where a pleasure to be with them I don't think my duties where hard at all
the most enjoyable part of the job was helping out costumers.
Just like Home
Teller (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZNovember 4, 2014
An early morning meeting with breakfast and sometimes Starbucks to get ready for another Sales-matic day. Every day a contest was given to each individual employee do thrive for better results. I've learned how to work with the professional world and to keep a smile on my face at all times. My superiors and coworkers were like family on a day to day basis. We have shared many tears; laughs & hugs to form, a great team. The most enjoyable part of my job was sharing my success stories all over the valley that inspired many employees to become better with their sales techniques.
Decent place to work
BOSS Specialist (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 23, 2014
Pros: full hour lunches, paid vacation, sick time, paid holidays
Cons: very sales oriented, operates more like a bank than a credit union
Working at Desert Schools was leaps and bounds better than working anywhere in food or retail. When I started in a branch I was fortunate enough to have a strong team that worked very well together for a long time. I even went on to become more or less a "Teller line general" in my manager's words. Meaning I was regarded highly by my coworkers, old and new, as someone who knew what I was doing and knew it well enough for them to approach me with questions or looking for advice. Being there from open to close wore on me after about a year and a half however. I also felt that our opinions as employees weren't valued very highly. I had great coworkers and an excellent management team for most of my time working in the branch. I was also part of a great team when I made the move back office. The department I worked in was crucial to the day to day operations of the credit union so there was definitely a feeling of being on an all-star team. while observing in other departments however I got my first look at some of the office cliques and overheard way more gossip than I personally care for. There was also a big "us vs them" mentality displayed by some of the other departments I had to contact while trying to help a branch or call center get the answers they needed to help their members. Overall not a terrible place to work at all.
Productive and fun work environment
Loan Servicing Specialist/Home Equity Closer (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 4, 2014
Pros: friendly co-workers
Cons: pay not very competetive
Held several positions here. Always kept me busy, which I prefer. Handled all Home Equity loan closing, funding and servicing.
N/A
Support Staff (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 2, 2014
great company, good culture. Small organization makes learning opportunities rare as the resources can be limited
Co workers were my best support
Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 14, 2014
Pros: well know and respected institution
Cons: new to the business market
Developed and trained branch teams to look for consumer and business opportunities from new and existing clients.
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Maricopa, AZAugust 12, 2014
Desert Schools was a great and comfortable place to work. The VP's were very engaged with all staff members and my immediate supervisor was available to me at any request.
What I learned
Mortgage Specialist/Processor (Former Employee), Phoenix, ArizonaAugust 9, 2014
In 20 years at a major credit union, I have learned it takes a good team of people to make good things happen and to help an organization succeed.

It also takes positivity, enthusiam, hard work and a love for service to others, to help you maintain the kind of attitude that helps a company thrive and become the main financial source for its customers.
retail
Teller (Former Employee), Peoria, AZAugust 6, 2014
assisted customers with purchases, worked cashier, stock
FUN
Teller (Former Employee), Scottsdale, AZJuly 23, 2014
Pros: work with "alternative" people
Cons: waste money on clothing
Great place to work as a young adult. Fashion forward. Rewarding; they stopped giving out bags when you buy something. Donates to charities around the community. Your personal style is easily attainable.
Ehhhhhhhh
Assist & Lead a Sales Team (Former Employee), Tempe, AZJune 24, 2014
Have worked for several Credit Unions and this one operates like a bank. Was not a big fan.
Great Place to Work
Director of Quality Services (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 13, 2014
If want to work for a well respected company this is the place
Very productive
Teller/MSR (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 22, 2014
Pros: always winning a prize
Cons: short staffed at times
Very productive always smiling enjoying the time that you spend with the customers anytime we have worked really heard we will get treated to breakfast by management. the hardest part at times was trying to meet our goal if we were short by two accts. I enjoyed working with the team good people.
Fun work environment and high paced
Branch Mentor-Member Service Representative/Teller (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 15, 2014
Enjoyed working here and saw a lot of growth potential! Lots of opportunity.
Environment that promotes learning and expanding your skill set.
Service Manager of Enterprise Services - Desktop (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 1, 2014
Pros: credit union access, community and charity involvement, learning environment, great culture.
Cons: compensation not particularly on par with regional averages.
I started with Desert Schools over two years ago. Upon learning about my skill rich background they allowed me the freedom to use those skills, even outside my own department, to assist those within I.T. who needed help. I originally started in a Tier 2 Support Role in Desktop but worked some responsibilities of Network Engineering into my day to day duties. I played an integral role in the programming and deployment of Cisco 7940 and 7960 phones. I also managed to gain responsibilities working with Network/System Administration in the creation of packages in SCCM 2007 and 2012 as well has setting up Printers, DHCP Reservations and managing User/Group accounts.
Fun place to work at work until management changes.
TELLER (Former Employee), mesa, AZJanuary 22, 2014
a typical day at work would include, doing members transactions, selling bank products for the members needs, answering questions for members about their accounts, balancing the cash drawer assigned to you, getting members into their safe deposit boxes, working Drive Thru at least once a week. This company prides itself on the members satisfacation and that would be happy employees. They regularly have training available to further your position. The co-workers were great and worked as a team even when new management came in and didn't communicate. The hardest part about the job was not being able to help a member because of them not being qualified for a product. The most enjoyable part was talking to the members.
Fun work environment
Teller/Trainer/Loan representative (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 11, 2013
Pros: happy environment and family quality
Cons: no cons
Helped customers open accounts and understand different products that worked for them.
Wii play games area.
Purchasing Clerk (Former Employee), 148N, 48th Street Phoenix, AZ 85034July 20, 2013
Typical day at Work: Works to achieve goals...I learned to builds effective working relationships with others, management promoting a spirit of cooperation my co-workers seek and expands on original ideas.
Not a good place to work
Teller (Former Employee), Tempe, AZJanuary 15, 2013
Pros: good managers
Cons: horrible pay, no advancement, good-old-boys in upper management.
This is completely unlike any other credit union. They're turning very much in to a bank that does not care about their members. They don't treat their employees well and pay them lower than any other institution in the area. Upper management is coming from Wells Fargo and bringing over the sales focus that shouldn't be in the credit union.

About Desert Schools Federal Credit Union

One of the largest credit unions in Arizona, Desert Schools Federal Credit Union¬†operates more than 50 locations in the Phoenix – Read more