NORTHEAST AREA SALES MANAGER
The role of the Area Manager is to generate sales by providing exceptional service to all customers and to direct all activities required to achieve sales, service, merchandise presentation/visual excellence, human resources management, loss prevention, and expense control goals within the expectations consistent with the Design Within Reach mission. Sets and monitors own and staff goals, including Area Studios. Determines, manages, and delegates Studio and Area Studio priorities. Evaluates, coaches, and trains. Addresses sub-standard performance and recognizes achievement. Upholds all company standards through personal example and professional management.
- Drives sales through proper supervision, goal setting and evaluation, Account Executive coaching and training, staff motivation and recognition, and personal effort.
- Ensures the consistent performance of outstanding customer service personally, with studio staff and area Studio staff.
- Achieves Studio and Area goals: drives sales to achieve Studio profit goals through effective sales generation, promotion of outstanding customer service, merchandise presentation, hosting Studio design events, loss prevention, and inventory and expense management.
- Ensures Studio’s and Area Studio’s adherence to merchandise standards: Maximizes Studio and Area sales and profitability through interpretation of visual objectives and directives (regular, promotional, etc.) to create a strong visual impact, adherence to merchandising standards, sales floor set-up, appropriate representation on floor, price change implementation, fixture use, signage, inventory preparation and execution, and communication and training of those standards with the staff.
- Loss prevention: ensures the Studio meets its shortage goal and 100% staff compliance with loss prevention and safety procedures through awareness, training, and consistent action. Addresses and resolves all internal and external loss prevention or safety situations.
- Operations and systems: manages all procedures to maximize profit (e.g., scheduling, shipment receiving, processing, transfer, and control, controllable expense and supply management), and ensures daily compliance by the staff of all Studio policy and procedure, including systems procedures, dress code, attendance, etc.
- Statistical plans: with emphasis on sales, product knowledge, customer service, and visual excellence, meets or exceeds all Studio financial plans. Organizes and maintains all store business files.
- Develops a strong Studio staff and Studio Proprietor teams: through recruitment, selection, training, development, and inspiration. Identifies and resolves human resource issues, supports all Area staff in maintaining a positive and productive work environment, provides for delivery of all management training programs, conducts timely performance reviews, and spends at least 50% visiting Studios within their respective areas.
- Work environment/staff development: maintains a positive and productive work environment by managing and supervising with integrity and professionalism, daily coaching, regular open communication, good humor, and positive associate relations. Ensures and facilitates all product information, merchandising, and operations training. Also shares responsibility for own personal development through regular communications with the VP of Sales.
- Sales generation: ability to provide outstanding customer service, deal effectively with concerns or problems, function as a role model, and ensure sales are generated through customer satisfaction. Ability to provide leadership, training, and direction throughout the Area in:
- Merchandising: knowledge of visual presentation techniques, ability to interpret and achieve visual objectives while tailoring them to fit the Studio’s sales floor configuration and space, disciplined to maintain merchandising and stock processing standards. Ability to interpret Studio needs, analyze and communicate assortment issues with Studio Operations.
- Loss prevention: ability to lead the Studio and Area in meeting its shortage goal and 100% staff compliance with loss prevention and safety procedures through awareness, training, and consistent action. Ability to address and resolve all internal and external loss prevention or safety situations.
- Organization/leadership skills: ability to set priorities, delegate, and follow-up on all Studio-related issues including personnel actions, loss prevention issues, and safety standards.
- Supervisory skills: including the ability to direct and motivate associates to meet sales, service, and visual standard goals and to proactively address associate issues directly, privately, and professionally within company policy and procedure.
- Human resources: ability to recruit, select, develop, motivate, and retain a successful Studio and management team.
- Communication: ability to communicate effectively with customers, associates, managers, outside contacts, and corporate office.
- Decision-making: ability to make effective and timely decisions concerning customer service, merchandising, and human resource issues.
- Ability to manage independently: for long periods of time.
- Financial analysis: ability to analyze business trends and complete Studio budgeting procedures on an Area-wide level.
- Internal: Vice President of Retail Sales, Area Managers, Studio Proprietors, Studio Operations, Manager of Studio Design, Human Resource, Merchandising Dept., Finance Dept., inventory Management, Distribution Center, trainees, and account executives.
- External: Customers, industry peers, potential candidates, Landlord/building management, general contractors.
Responsible for assisting in the attainment of Studio sales, payroll, and financial goals as set by the Vice President of Retail Sales. This includes Annual Sales/Expense, Sales volume, Payroll expense, and Controllable expenses
Level of Decision Making
Has Area-wide authority to:
- Make decisions to comply with Studio, visual, and company policies and procedures.
- Make out-of-policy decisions regarding customer service and satisfaction.
- Develop, gain approval, and administer budget and payroll expenditures.
- Adjust scheduling and resource expenditures to support the Studio’s current sales trend while maintaining overall profitability.
- Act as second and final interview and make the decision to hire Studio Account Executives and Studio Proprietors.
- Evaluate all Studio and Area Proprietor staff performance and recommend salary adjustments within company guideline. .
- Administer directions to achieve Area compliance to operations directives, review and recommend enhancement to any company-initiated program or task request, including training and incentives, representing the field’s point of view to corporate.
- Recommend real estate opportunities, policy and procedures changes, visual and merchandise suggestions.
Educational Training and Experience
- Associate, B.S., or B.A. degree or equivalent
- 5-7 years of transferable retail management and multi-location responsibility
- Annual sales volume responsibility of $1 to $5 million with a proven successful track record of increasing sales.
Experience must include furniture, design, and/or luxury retail space.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Indeed - 10 months ago
- 6 days ago
- 22 hours ago
Executive Network Inc
Town of Southeast, NY
Executive Network Inc
- 11 days ago
Design Within Reach (commonly referred to as DWR) could be just out of reach for the average Joe furniture-shopper's wallet. The...