DESOTO COUNTY SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

My review
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hernando, MSOctober 19, 2017
I enjoy working at DCS. The staff is supportive and will have your back on most things. teaching is always hard but the co workers really work together.
Great and productive work environment
Administrative Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Horn Lake, MSOctober 10, 2017
Desoto County School District is passionate about the education of the children, dedication of the staff, and involvement of the community. Everyone works as a team to get the job done.
Productive fun place to work.
Kindergarten Teacher (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSOctober 9, 2017
I taught Kindergarten children to read and write and to learn Math skills. I enjoyed watching kids learn new material. I enjoyed finding out how each child learned best.
Pros
I enjoyed spending time with children.
Cons
I had to do some work at night such as grade papers.
workplace culture
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Hernando, MSSeptember 21, 2017
Desoto County Schools is a good school system to work for. The only problem I had while working there is the getting paid monthly and making only 9 per hour. Had to work 2 jobs. Management is great. Would work there again if only the money was there.
Rewarding Job
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSSeptember 19, 2017
I worked as a bus driver while I took the classes necessary to become a teacher. This job helped me realize that the number one priority for bus driving is to keep the children safe.
N/a
Teacher assistant (Current Employee) –  Southaven, MSSeptember 18, 2017
•Teacher assistant
•Help with daily classrooms needs; as well as behavior documentation, tutoring, and behavior management.
•Scheduling IEP meetings.
•Inputting daily behavior into Review 360.
My job as SPED Director has been rewarding. I have continually learned in the process
Special Educaiton Director (Current Employee) –  Hernando, MSAugust 30, 2017
My job as SPED director has been very demanding and consuming. The most difficult part of the job has been accountability and funding. the most rewarding part of the job has been the students and seeing them grow academically, socially, and behaviorally. A typical day began at 7:00a.m. and last until 5:30 to 6:00 p.m. Each day began with reviewing the needs in the schools and individual student concerns. I learned that hard work is rewarding and children are our number 1 asset. I also learned that resources involve so much more than financial. Finding the perfect human resource for students is a rewarding experience.
Pros
Working with good people and working with students
Cons
extremely stressful
I love my job and the benefits but would like to make more money
Nacotee elementary school (Current Employee) –  Arcadia, FLAugust 24, 2017
I'm a single father of three and I'am a hard worker i enjoy work for the school system because I get to see my kid's daily attend sporting events and have weekends and holidays off
The school that I managed was fun but overall it system was not fun to a part of
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Hernando, MSAugust 20, 2017
The school system food service department was so out of date, that it was like ten years behind other school sytem. You could not advance at all because upper management would not allow it.
Pros
free lunch was the only good thing but we would always do pot luck.
Cons
the pay was once a month which was horrible and it would'nt be anything after waiting a whole month.
If you like to work hard and be under appreciated, this is the place to be
2nd Grade Teacher, Hope Sullivan Elementary (Former Employee) –  Hernando, MSAugust 14, 2017
Hard worker = cheap labor
You will work long hours and get little to no "kudos". The assistants get paid a horrible wage and are treated like babysitters.
Fun fundamentals
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSAugust 7, 2017
A typical day at work is busy and fun. Dealing with 3rd-5th graders daily keeps you busy at all time. There's always something to do. I learn a lot of different things everyday. The hardest part is normally calming them down but afterwards everything evens out perfectly. What I enjoy most is seeing the children learn and progress.
School job
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hernando, MSAugust 7, 2017
I worked here while I was in college. It worked because you could work when you need to so it was not a set schedule it work around your time. It was a cool little job.
Very relaxed and also very team orientated
CAFETERIA WORKER (Current Employee) –  Southaven, MSAugust 2, 2017
I would recommend this job for anyone that is just starting out and would love the weekends off and also holidays. The only down part of this job would be these are not paid holidays and the summer off is not paid as well.
Pros
Free lunches and very good atmosphere.
Cons
I have not noticed and downside to this job.
The children and staff are amazing.
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southaven, MSJuly 7, 2017
The children and staff are amazing. Everyone there is friendly and understanding. I am a people person and so far my co workers there seem to be as well. The children children are awesome!
Already done this
CLASSROOM TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSJune 24, 2017
I have already reviewed this employer once and the same is to be said about this school as well. It was under great administration. Always looking out for the kids best interest/
Good job but has downsides
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Horn Lake, MSJune 6, 2017
I liked working in the school cafeteria. We had free lunch daily. I didn't like that we were only paid once a month. I did not like that w were laid off all summer, every summer.
Pros
free lunch, great kids
Cons
off for summer break, paid once a month
They dont care about substitutes.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Arcadia, FLMay 12, 2017
They don't care about your wishes to advance. The people that call you in to work are often rude and quick to hang up on you. You aren't offered opportunities to advance or educate yourself.
Fun and Positive work environment
Teacher's Assistant Full-time (Current Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSMay 7, 2017
If children are your passion, and you are looking for a fun, positive work environment, then this is the place for you. I learned how to handle conflicts, team build, develop organization skills and how to advance my communication skills.
Pros
environment
Cons
compensation
work history
Principal (Current Employee) –  Hernando, MSApril 4, 2017
I began at Horn Lake High as an ALC teacher and a volunteer basketball coach. I moved from ALC to teaching Science, PE, and Dr. Ed. I was the assistant boy's basketball coach for 2 years. In 1989 I became the head boy's basketball coach and was the head coach for 13 years. After that I coached the girl's for 3 years. The last 2 years at HLHS I was also the Athletic Director and drove a bus route. In the summer of 2006 I was the Principal at DeSoto County Summer School and then moved to Lake Cormorant Middle School as an assistant principal. I was an assistant for 3 years before becoming the Principal. I am currently still the Principal but planning on retiring.
Student Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hernando, MSApril 4, 2017
A great place to interact with educational professionals and help students realize their full potential. Students are given the support and tools needed to move on to whatever their next step after high school may be.