DESOTO COUNTY SCHOOLS

DESOTO COUNTY SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

Previously Rated
Teacher's assistant/PCA -Special Education (Current Employee), Olive Branch, MSDecember 3, 2014
DeSoto County schools are an "A" rated district with many great leaders!
Good district
Teacher (Former Employee), Horn Lake, MSDecember 1, 2014
Pros: schedule
Cons: a little drama among teachers
Good district to work for. Teaching the students on a daily basis
Fun Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Olive Branch, MSNovember 6, 2014
I really enjoyed working here, I was under the guidance of very wonderful teachers who loved what they did and were very passionate about the children actually learning.
Assistant
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee), Horn Lake, MSJuly 10, 2014
Great work environment. Great management staff as well as all other employees. Flexible with life occurrences.
Productive and children friendly work environment
Special Education Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), Olive Branch, MSJune 17, 2014
Kid friendly environment and a productive and fun place to work.
Productive and fast work place
Food Service Worker (Current Employee), Olive Branch, MSMarch 23, 2014
Pros: free lunch, summers off
Cons: no sick pay, no holiday pay, no over-time pay
A typical day is 7:00-2:00pm. washing, peeling, weighing, cutting, assembling, sorting, mixing foods, and cooking large scale food. Operating kitchen production equipment including fryers, mixers, ovens, choppers, slicers, steamers, compactors, scales, dishwashers, etc.; maintains defined standards of safety in handling equipment and tools. I work with a small group of co-workers and a supervisor. We do all our prep work within a few hours and set up for three lunches which feed 750 students in 1 and 1/2 hours. The job is physical and demanding with little pay but rewarding.
great place to work with children
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), Hernando, MSJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: room for advancement
Cons: pay
Cook the food in the morning, set up lunch line, tear down line, clean entire kitchen, go home. had a great manager , she was trying to teach me how to become a manager The greatest southern ladies anyone could hope to work with. They really cared about coworkers they helped out anybody that needed it. the heat was the hardest. The children was the most enjoyable. They made me feel so loved when I left.
The best school system in Mississippi and one of the top in the nation
School Nurse (Former Employee), Southaven, MSJanuary 26, 2014
Loved this potion. I left for higher pay in home care and have regretted leaving ever since.
Fun filled work environment.
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee), Horn Lake, MSDecember 5, 2013
Pros: good insurance
Cons: payed once a month
A typical day at work consisted of working with children of all age groups. I learned how to deal with children with developmental disabilities. Management was great and informative, and the co-workers were very helpful. The hardest part of the job was dealing with some of the children during their rages. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the children smile after their accomplishments.
enjoyable work place
Sign Language interpreter (Former Employee), Hernando MSNovember 26, 2013
Pros: working with students
Cons: having students and teachers assume i was a student due to my young age.
a typical day at work involved my following a group of 3 deaf students to their classes at Hernando high school and interpreting the lectures as well as voicing any questions posed by my students. what I learned through this experience was how to work as part of a team for the benefit of my students. the management where I worked was not overly involved in the process and I was allowed to figure it out for myself. my coworkers were excited to help and eager to learn how. the hardest part of my job was trying to explain to the teachers that the deaf students needed to be treated like every other students as well as helping them to understand that it was not within my responsibility or scope of practice to teach my students the material. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my students do well in their classes and graduate.
Enjoyable work place and flexible hours
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Arcadia, FLOctober 6, 2013
Pros: flexible hours to fit my schedule.
Cons: sometimes the disruption of class by unruly children.
I worked from 7 am til 2:30 pm.

I learned how to organize groups of children and to teach them different subjects.

My fellow teachers were very helpful to me.

Having unruly children in each class was a challenge.

The children that were eager to learn and helpful in the classroom made the entire day enjoyable!
Fun work environment
In-School Suspension Teacher (Former Employee), Southaven, MSApril 16, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: emotionally draining
I taught at Southaven High school. My classroom was were the students that had gotten into trouble came. I had to make sure they completed their assignments from their regular classes.
Multicultural work environment
Special Education and Read 180 Teacher (Current Employee), Horn Lake, MSApril 6, 2013
Pros: my students gave me the utmost love and respect.
Cons: handling these 3 read 180 classes, handling my special education students, and caseload can be quite overwhelming.
I run 3 Read 180 classes along with my special education students. The students were provided with excellent instructional classroom strategies and instruction. Classroom management skills were a must with the students I serve. They deserve the best there is from me. I provided them with the utmost classroom instructional time.
Enjoy working with children with needs
SPED Asst (Current Employee), Hernando, MSSeptember 3, 2012
Pros: same hours as my children
Cons: low pay
Work with special needs children grades 6-8. Daily blessings
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee), Southaven, MSApril 2, 2012
The hardest part about starting a new job is finding someone that makes you feel at home. The ladies at Hope Sullivan were so quick to make that happen. From the moment I walked through the doors I did not feel like a stranger at all! They were warm and friendly and I couldn't ask for a better group of ladies to work with!
My school is a fun place to work
Special Areas Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), Hernando, MSMarch 27, 2012
A typical day for me is working with students who have IEP's. Making sure they get some type of understanding of the work they need to pass to the next grade. My co workers are great we are a TEAM.