DESOTO COUNTY SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

Professionalism
Positive environment
High standards
Opportunity
Pros
Service-oriented
For the Love of Teaching
Theatre Arts Director (Current Employee) –  Hernando, MSSeptember 11, 2016
It truly takes a special person who has it in his/her heart to teach. People who love leadership roles would love a position with DeSoto County Schools.
Pros
Kids
Cons
Kids
Very much a learners environment!
Gifted LSC (Current Employee) –  Horn Lake, MSAugust 10, 2016
I am the gifted LSC at two schools within Desoto County and believe it to be a wonderful place to work. I enjoy all the learning opportunities that are offered and I believe in the vision.
Pros
Location/Community
Cons
Pay
Great environment
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southaven, MSMay 27, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the day is everyday, all day, when im interacting with the children and challenging them to do and be their best at all they do.
Fun place to work
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSApril 11, 2016
The schools are great. The people are amazing. Teaching children is so rewarding. The hardest part is seeing the children go through so much change and being there for them emotionally along with physically. The Most enjoyable part is being able to be like another parent to the children and being able to teach them everyday life skils.
Pros
being able to work with kids
Cons
pay isn't great
Great schools with great leadership and a community of learners
Assistant Principal (Current Employee) –  Horn Lake, MSMarch 23, 2016
Desoto County Schools is a leader in education. It is a great place to work with great people, opportunities, and schools.
Teaching
7th and 8th Grade Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSMarch 1, 2016
Very professional environment. The administrative staff leaves no question for expectations of the teachers and other staff members. The students are also held to a high standard.
Workplace
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Arcadia, FLFebruary 11, 2016
I enjoy my job! The group of teachers that I work with are commendable!! All of the students enjoy school and are learning a great deal of information to be four years of age.
working with kids is fun & rewarding
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSNovember 30, 2015
As a teacher assistant, its rewarding to know all the hard work & time you put in really makes a difference in the kid's lives as you can celebrate along with them when they succeed
Pros
working with kids of all ages, christmas/summer breaks, insurance
Cons
minimal pay
Fastpaced, stressful at times
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Horn Lake, MSSeptember 24, 2015
Friendly enviorment, stressful at times beacause dealing with people money but; great culture and great management!
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Pay
Productive and fun place to work
Career Tech East (Current Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSAugust 26, 2015
Working wit student and teachers. Checking students in and out. Responsible for attendance reports. Front door responsibility. Documents and forms for teachers and principles.

I enjoy working with all of my employees and most of all the students.
Pros
retirement, 401K, insurance, hours
Cons
no overtime, not paid for holiday hours
Fun place to work with alot of responsibilities
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Hernando, MSAugust 22, 2015
The day starts with making and dishing up any foods that are needed. Twice a week we unloaded the deliveries and found room for the supplies in the storage room, cooler and freezer. My co-workers made the job fun. The hardest part of my job was cooking 100 pounds of meet at one time in the big pot. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the kids and getting to know their needs, likes and dislikes. I learned a lot about food storage, labeling, along with cooking for very large groups.
Pros
Learning about food safety, cooking for large groups and Health Department regulations
Cons
Not paid enough and only paid once a month
Working with the public daily motivates me.
MSIS/ADA (Former Employee) –  SouthavenAugust 10, 2015
I learned so much at this job. When I left my job daily I fealt successful. I worked with some of the best educators in Desoto County. The hardest part of my job was when the state auditors come in and go through your paper work with a fine tooth comb. It was not hard just very stressful. Registration for 750 students at the beginning of the year can be crazy at times but with a great team, working together could make positive outcomes.
Pros
All of the wonderful parents and students
Cons
limited break time
I enjoy my job
Driver (Current Employee) –  Desoto County, MississippiAugust 7, 2015
I actually chose to drive a school bus so that I could go to a local community college and obtain an associates degree in education and proceed to University of MS to obtain a bachelor's degree in Elementary Education.

I am still driving a school bus because, although I love children, I decided that teaching would not be the best occupation for me at this time in my life. I completed my two years and obtained my Associates Degree.

It has been a good job but I want to move on to something else. I have worked in offices with various companies and would like to work in accounting, bookkeeping, human resources or a similar clerical field.
Pros
Easy schedule. Was able to work around my family
Cons
Politics, no room for advancement
Productive and pleasent place to work
Special education teacher assistant (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSJuly 29, 2015
My typical day is working with my Special Education students. I learned from management you must take the time procedure seriously. Because it affect the whole work load, when it comes to make sure the students have what they need. In aspect to having what they need, is that they where they need to be in order to pass to next grade. The hardest part of my job was learning to be the receptionist, when others was out. The most enjoyable part was working and caring for my students, and seeing them grow.
Pros
Holiday cook outs, and rewards
Cons
the at will position
Family oriented workplace!
First Grade Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  DeSoto County, MSJune 22, 2015
DeSoto County is a welcoming place for working parents. There is sufficient help for teachers. Second grade lead teachers and under have a full time teacher's assistant. The parents in this community are wonderful, and the student's work is usually completed well. I learned the basics of teaching in DeSoto County. I had a wonderful principal, and excellent staff.
Pros
Flexible job, excellent staff support
Cons
Low pay for a teaching position.
Great Place To Work
Special Education Algebra I Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lake Cormorant, MSJune 13, 2015
Great people to work for. I would highly recommend this county to anyone wanting to pursue a job in education. This is a very ethical and respectable place to work.
Very positive atmosphere
Payroll Representative (Former Employee) –  Hernando, MSDecember 29, 2014
DeSoto County Schools was a wonderful place to work, with a positive workplace atmosphere. Supervisors and managers were skilled at training and motivating employees. Those in our department were considered family, celebrating holidays and accomplishments, and grieving together during loss.
Previously Rated
Teacher's assistant/PCA -Special Education (Current Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSDecember 3, 2014
DeSoto County schools are an "A" rated district with many great leaders!
Good district
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Horn Lake, MSDecember 1, 2014
Good district to work for. Teaching the students on a daily basis
Pros
schedule
Cons
a little drama among teachers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DESOTO COUNTY SCHOOLS. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2