DESOTO COUNTY SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

working with kids is fun & rewarding
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSNovember 30, 2015
As a teacher assistant, its rewarding to know all the hard work & time you put in really makes a difference in the kid's lives as you can celebrate along with them when they succeed
Pros
working with kids of all ages, christmas/summer breaks, insurance
Cons
minimal pay
Fastpaced, stressful at times
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Horn Lake, MSSeptember 24, 2015
Friendly enviorment, stressful at times beacause dealing with people money but; great culture and great management!
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Pay
Productive and fun place to work
Career Tech East (Current Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSAugust 26, 2015
Working wit student and teachers. Checking students in and out. Responsible for attendance reports. Front door responsibility. Documents and forms for teachers and principles.

I enjoy working with all of my employees and most of all the students.
Pros
retirement, 401K, insurance, hours
Cons
no overtime, not paid for holiday hours
Fun place to work with alot of responsibilities
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Hernando, MSAugust 22, 2015
The day starts with making and dishing up any foods that are needed. Twice a week we unloaded the deliveries and found room for the supplies in the storage room, cooler and freezer. My co-workers made the job fun. The hardest part of my job was cooking 100 pounds of meet at one time in the big pot. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the kids and getting to know their needs, likes and dislikes. I learned a lot about food storage, labeling, along with cooking for very large groups.
Pros
Learning about food safety, cooking for large groups and Health Department regulations
Cons
Not paid enough and only paid once a month
Working with the public daily motivates me.
MSIS/ADA (Former Employee) –  SouthavenAugust 10, 2015
I learned so much at this job. When I left my job daily I fealt successful. I worked with some of the best educators in Desoto County. The hardest part of my job was when the state auditors come in and go through your paper work with a fine tooth comb. It was not hard just very stressful. Registration for 750 students at the beginning of the year can be crazy at times but with a great team, working together could make positive outcomes.
Pros
All of the wonderful parents and students
Cons
limited break time
I enjoy my job
Driver (Current Employee) –  Desoto County, MississippiAugust 7, 2015
I actually chose to drive a school bus so that I could go to a local community college and obtain an associates degree in education and proceed to University of MS to obtain a bachelor's degree in Elementary Education.

I am still driving a school bus because, although I love children, I decided that teaching would not be the best occupation for me at this time in my life. I completed my two years and obtained my Associates Degree.

It has been a good job but I want to move on to something else. I have worked in offices with various companies and would like to work in accounting, bookkeeping, human resources or a similar clerical field.
Pros
Easy schedule. Was able to work around my family
Cons
Politics, no room for advancement
Productive and pleasent place to work
Special education teacher assistant (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSJuly 29, 2015
My typical day is working with my Special Education students. I learned from management you must take the time procedure seriously. Because it affect the whole work load, when it comes to make sure the students have what they need. In aspect to having what they need, is that they where they need to be in order to pass to next grade. The hardest part of my job was learning to be the receptionist, when others was out. The most enjoyable part was working and caring for my students, and seeing them grow.
Pros
Holiday cook outs, and rewards
Cons
the at will position
Family oriented workplace!
First Grade Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  DeSoto County, MSJune 22, 2015
DeSoto County is a welcoming place for working parents. There is sufficient help for teachers. Second grade lead teachers and under have a full time teacher's assistant. The parents in this community are wonderful, and the student's work is usually completed well. I learned the basics of teaching in DeSoto County. I had a wonderful principal, and excellent staff.
Pros
Flexible job, excellent staff support
Cons
Low pay for a teaching position.
Great Place To Work
Special Education Algebra I Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lake Cormorant, MSJune 13, 2015
Great people to work for. I would highly recommend this county to anyone wanting to pursue a job in education. This is a very ethical and respectable place to work.
Very positive atmosphere
Payroll Representative (Former Employee) –  Hernando, MSDecember 29, 2014
DeSoto County Schools was a wonderful place to work, with a positive workplace atmosphere. Supervisors and managers were skilled at training and motivating employees. Those in our department were considered family, celebrating holidays and accomplishments, and grieving together during loss.
Previously Rated
Teacher's assistant/PCA -Special Education (Current Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSDecember 3, 2014
DeSoto County schools are an "A" rated district with many great leaders!
Good district
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Horn Lake, MSDecember 1, 2014
Good district to work for. Teaching the students on a daily basis
Pros
schedule
Cons
a little drama among teachers
Fun Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSNovember 6, 2014
I really enjoyed working here, I was under the guidance of very wonderful teachers who loved what they did and were very passionate about the children actually learning.
Assistant
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Horn Lake, MSJuly 10, 2014
Great work environment. Great management staff as well as all other employees. Flexible with life occurrences.
Productive and children friendly work environment
Special Education Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSJune 17, 2014
Kid friendly environment and a productive and fun place to work.
Productive and fast work place
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSMarch 23, 2014
A typical day is 7:00-2:00pm. washing, peeling, weighing, cutting, assembling, sorting, mixing foods, and cooking large scale food. Operating kitchen production equipment including fryers, mixers, ovens, choppers, slicers, steamers, compactors, scales, dishwashers, etc.; maintains defined standards of safety in handling equipment and tools. I work with a small group of co-workers and a supervisor. We do all our prep work within a few hours and set up for three lunches which feed 750 students in 1 and 1/2 hours. The job is physical and demanding with little pay but rewarding.
Pros
free lunch, summers off
Cons
no sick pay, no holiday pay, no over-time pay
great place to work with children
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Hernando, MSJanuary 30, 2014
Cook the food in the morning, set up lunch line, tear down line, clean entire kitchen, go home. had a great manager , she was trying to teach me how to become a manager The greatest southern ladies anyone could hope to work with. They really cared about coworkers they helped out anybody that needed it. the heat was the hardest. The children was the most enjoyable. They made me feel so loved when I left.
Pros
room for advancement
Cons
pay
The best school system in Mississippi and one of the top in the nation
School Nurse (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSJanuary 26, 2014
Loved this potion. I left for higher pay in home care and have regretted leaving ever since.
Fun filled work environment.
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Horn Lake, MSDecember 5, 2013
A typical day at work consisted of working with children of all age groups. I learned how to deal with children with developmental disabilities. Management was great and informative, and the co-workers were very helpful. The hardest part of the job was dealing with some of the children during their rages. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the children smile after their accomplishments.
Pros
good insurance
Cons
payed once a month
enjoyable work place
Sign Language interpreter (Former Employee) –  Hernando MSNovember 26, 2013
a typical day at work involved my following a group of 3 deaf students to their classes at Hernando high school and interpreting the lectures as well as voicing any questions posed by my students. what I learned through this experience was how to work as part of a team for the benefit of my students. the management where I worked was not overly involved in the process and I was allowed to figure it out for myself. my coworkers were excited to help and eager to learn how. the hardest part of my job was trying to explain to the teachers that the deaf students needed to be treated like every other students as well as helping them to understand that it was not within my responsibility or scope of practice to teach my students the material. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my students do well in their classes and graduate.
Pros
working with students
Cons
having students and teachers assume i was a student due to my young age.