Destination Hotels & Resorts Employee Reviews in United States

Don't waste your time, this company is a joke
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 27, 2016
Horribly run location in NC! Management, or lack of, needs some management lessons before given the title with no experience. They hire young and inexperienced so they can pay small. They also don't require their "managers" to be present and support their staff. The GM isn't even present to know what that the managers aren't accountable. As a bartender I would run the bar alone for 8+ hours with no break and no help. There were nights when NO management, for the entire hotel, was present to handle guest complaints. They have the bartender making food for the guests while leaving the bar unattended for up to 10 minutes while filling the role of a cook because they won't pay for someone to be in the kitchen for the evening menu that they require to be honored while the bar is open, even on a busy weekend night. The weekend clientele is sketchy and there were times I needed backup and help with the drunk and unruly but security was no where to be found. And to top it all off in the rare times a bar manager was present she would take a portion of the tips for "helping" while she was paid a salary. Is this even legal?

Those looking for a job be advised: KEEP LOOKING! This is not a place you want to associate yourself with. Thus the high turnover in the entire hotel staff. No one is happy working at the NC location!
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Rotten !!!
facilities engineer (Former Employee) –  Stowe, VTJanuary 25, 2016
TERRIBLE company to work for !
Worked EVERY weekend !
They treat their help like animals !
They have kids as managers & supervisors of departments.
I saw more people LEAVE or get FIRED, than I saw get hired !
I worked in Engineering & we were required to account for EVERY minute of our time. The Chief Engineer was a KID, and acted as such. We were watched on camera CONSTANTLY !
15.00 an hour to work days, eves, nights, and weekends- NO shift differential.
NO sick or vacation time.
I wouldn't let my DOG step foot on the property.
NOT a good place to work !
They have an ad for TWO Engineers EVERY winter.
( That's a red flag folks )
DON'T work for them !
Pros
NONE !
Cons
EVERYTHING !
Lovede the corporate staff and their mentorship
Controller then Consultant (Former Employee) –  Controller in Del Mar CA & Home Based ConsultantApril 1, 2016
I was promoted through the ranks when it was a brand new company. I started as accounts payable, to accounting manager to hotel controller. My first supervisors were the executives that formed the corporate office so I learned from the very best. The opportunities were significant.
Pros
Wonderful upper corporate office managmeent
Cons
Amount of time working did not allow balanced life
an entepernureal company
Food and Beverage Manager (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COJanuary 10, 2016
lots of freedoms to make descions how to manage your people. But kind of 'old mans club". Promotions given to golf buddies rather than those most qualified.
Pros
good people good staff
Cons
short sited ness, on obvious changes to better the company
Inspiring fitness program to stay healthy
Director of Sales & Marketing (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 16, 2015
Destination Hotels is a great company. The health and fitness program inspired me to stay healthy by participating in the program. My office collaborated on the challenges and stayed fit from our working together for a common mission.
Pros
Health tracker
Cons
Never achieved work-life balance
great experience
Executive Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Del Mar, CAJune 27, 2016
Forward thinking company. great location and wonderful staff to work with. looking forward to finding an employer of this caliber soon.
Pros
diversity, growth, forward thinking.
Cons
expensive area to live in, cost of living and wages dont match.
Fellow employees abd managers lack respect for other departments
Steward supervisor (Former Employee) –  Isle of Palms, SCMay 9, 2016
since I left last year I see that no one else wants to step up for my former position and with good reason. I worked there for approximately a year & a half and in that time I was recognized for my hard work, responsibility, and motivation within a few months but since starting I felt there was no respect for the my department and the work we did. We were the least staffed department in property and yet where made to assist every department with work although none besides the set up department helped us in return. Days before my leaving there was an argument that I was being disrespectful because I said my team was not goin to help the cooks do there job and I was told by a front of house manager it was in our contracts to assist when a member of management asked you to do so if within reason however when I brought up that my manager would ask for help no one is made to do so it's jus my department, at which point I was told we need to hire more workers to assist us. The day this happened there were 10 cooks present and 10 or more servers working front of house while I only had myself n maybe 3 oother employees The workload is unfair and management fails to acknowledge complaints of employees regardless of what my manager said or did. I would not recommend working here unless you have an administrative position
Bad place to work
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  YVE MiamiApril 22, 2016
Housekeeping manager very disrespectful,scream at employees, bad management don't care about employees, cheap pay, very high cost benefits, HR never ever seen to be working, really bad place to work.
Pros
Cero compensation, no one cares
Cons
Bad pay, high cost benefits
worst yet
management (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 12, 2015
The worst company I have ever worked for. Management spent more time bullying their employees. This company has very little future and cannot see it continuing much longer. Friends in the hospitality industry warned me this was a bad company with a bad rep.
Solid company with good core principles
Director of Finance (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 3, 2015
Very satisfying place to work and enjoyed my peers immensely. Learned a lot about acquisitions and owner relations. Recruiting was difficult as the company turned to a lot of short term contracts and had constant turnover, which is typical of the industry, Overall good company with a bright future.
Pros
Good experienced people in key positions.
Cons
Although a company focus, work life balance was difficult
Staff and Work view is a pleasure
Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  Olympic Valley, CAMarch 15, 2016
The Staff for the company is always a pleasure to work with. The Staff some time like everywhere is sometimes challenging to work with.
Enjoyed my time
Manager, Homes Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Sunriver, OROctober 8, 2015
Great culture, low pay, fun environment and I learned a lot from this position. Hard position but if you stay positive the job becomes easy
Great place to work in paradise!
Top of the Village Front Desk Manager/Concierge (Former Employee) –  Snowmass Village, COJune 19, 2015
Ski breaks? YES! This is a wonderful company to work for.

If you work hard and play hard... head to the Rockies! You can learn all you need to know about hospitality at one property.. and you can take this knowledge to either move up in your area or move on in the would. They will offer ongoing training as long as you are willing. I loved it there.
Pros
Life Balance Honored
Cons
Hard to leave!
Disappointmnet
Spa (Current Employee) –  Rancho Palos VerdesApril 26, 2013
Not very considerate to the employees needs. Cuts hours of the full-time therapists, saying that there's not enoughwork but, every quarter your manager gives you a letter saying that you are in danger of losing your benefits because you didn't work enough hours and yet they continue to hire on-call and part-time therapists to avoid offering benefits.
You are hired to provide a service and are paid by a tier catagory where you only qualify a higher percentage if you meet a list of crazy requirements.
Pros
The View, The Guests, The Pay.
Cons
Bad management. No room for growth.
DH&R is one of the best hospitality companies to work for
Assistant Controller (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92037April 10, 2012
This was one of the best jobs I have had with not only the opportunity to work with good people, but for a good company that encouraged life balance. We still worked hard and got the job done, but time was taken when needed and it was always challenging and exciting. My boss was great to work for and was interested in seeing me continue to develop and advance and those that worked with me were very supportive. If it wasn't for a change in ownership I would still be there today.
Pros
great company core values, flexible work schedule, free lunch 7 days a week
Cons
limited advancement at this location, sold to another company with different values
Life at the corporate office
Digital Marketing & Social Media Manager (Former Employee) –  Englewood, CODecember 1, 2014
I think that under the right circumstances Destination can be a great place to work, however there are some things everyone should know if they're considering a position there. Full disclosure: the company was a bad fit for me and I left after eight months. This is my own individual experience, so take it with a grain of salt.

Culture: there are a lot of employees that have been there five to ten years or more. This creates a sort of "lifer's club" vibe that feels a little isolating if you're new on the block. Everyone is very heads down, working hard to fulfill on an often heavy workload. Yet, the company also sets the expectation that everyone mix and mingle, leading to awkward events that most people attend long enough to get their name checked off the roll. To their credit, they are working on improving culture but at this point in time there's a long way to go.

Policies: there are a lot of company policies that seem a little dated to me. You can't use the PTO you're accruing until you've been there six months, but if you leave before you're there a year they don't pay out the PTO balance. This led to several unpaid days and a lot of money left on the table. IT policies are restrictive and kind of "big brother" - you can't install a single program by yourself and benign sites like Pandora are blocked in the web filter. You're reminded every time you boot up your laptop that the company could be snooping on your activity at any point - not the greatest trust-builder.

Expectations: this is a company of achievers. That's not bad all by itself, but I saw the bar being set
  more... so high that people were killing themselves to meet those expectations. The communication of responsibilities are often not crystal clear. In my role, the day to day responsibilities were downright unreasonable - Destination even admitted that my position should be spread among two or three people. On top of the standard responsibilities, if the company brings on a new hotel (which they do regularly) it's an all hands on deck fire drill to do a transition, meaning a lot of additional work. They talk about work life balance, but the fact of the matter is most people come in early, stay late, skip lunch, work on weekends, etc.

Management/Org. Structure: the org chart is pretty tall here, creating a very corporate and siloed work environment. It's not the same in every department, but I was micromanaged (daily meetings with my superior). Upper management is often unavailable due to work and travel schedules. Every activity is scrutinized under the lens of maximizing profit and ROI, however I also found a lot of certainty of opinion in management. So if you see a way to improve things, there is a heavy burden of proof before the idea is even considered.

Industry: if you're not already in the hotel industry, know that the business is complex and there is a big learning curve. There is a whole glossary of insider concepts and acronyms. At Destination, the onus is on you to learn all the ins and outs of the business as quickly as possible - formal training is not provided. It's certainly do-able, but understand that there's an additional component to ramp-up if you're not already familiar with REVPAR, DORO, DOSM, POG, MK12, MK16, etc.

In closing, I don't think Destination is necessarily a bad company to work for but there are some serious issues that people should consider so that they're going into the company eyes wide open. If you're not already in the hotel industry, or you don't have a clear strategic opportunity to advance your career, I'd advise asking lots of questions during the interview process to make sure it's the right place for you. I know this is a long review, but I hope it helps you make an informed decision about working there.
Pros
fast growing company with a lot of opportunity for the right person
Cons
high stress, low morale, lack of trust
Comfortable yet professional working environment with potential for advancement
Hostess, Shula's Steakhouse (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 13, 2012
Working for Destination Hotels and Resorts is a wonderful experience. I have learned extensive information about the hospitality and food and beverage industry. I almost always look forward to work and always feel great giving my best at work. I get along great with my co-workers. Management is excellent except for one manager who doesn't seem to add anything but frustration to the establishment. The most enjoyable part of the day is giving a guest excellent customer service and them smiling with satisfaction.
Pros
hotel discounts, health insurance
Cons
food gets wasted
Low paying. No room for advancement, Piece rate pay.
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Kihei, MauiNovember 6, 2012
Working here is not the best housekeeping job out there. Elua village in particular, pay by piece rate. The amount of work that is expected, and the pay that you make is not worth your time. Piece rate means you get paid by each task performed. If you don't do each task up to par, they take away some of your money. The best way to know how much your getting paid, is to add up all the money you make each week, and divide it by the hrs you worked that week. The pay scale is different each week. Sometimes you will be making a lot of money, sometimes you'll be making less than minimum wage. (It really depends on how fast and thorough you are.) At Elua village, the housekeepers here are mainly old timers. Most of which, don't perform their jobs really well. There is a strong lack of communication here. The management don't really do their jobs very well either and don't seem to care very much about anything. When It comes to suspending or write ups, the management just let the incompentent go. Mainly because they never have enough workers and anyone that gets freshly hired, quit within a week.
Cons
lousy pay, lack of comunication, lazy management.
Unbelievably Ridiculous
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  New OrleansApril 29, 2015
Horrible management and unprofessional! Just a horrible work environment!! Inconsiderate to the employees, Just a nasty filthy hotel all around.
Pros
Absolutely none!
Cons
Just a horrible work environment!!
Working pleasant and interesting
Conference Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VAAugust 22, 2015
nice and fun job that allows you to grow professionally. all the staff is willing to do their best to satisfy the customer and let up the name of the hotel
Pros
delicious meals

2.9