Destination Hotels & Resorts

Destination Hotels & Resorts Employee Reviews

Worst Company Bad Morale...if its the last place you can find to work!
Golf Course (Former Employee), Wild DunesApril 5, 2015
Pros: None.
Cons: See above.
Honestly the most backward or upside down managed corp that I've ever witnessed. All directors/supervisors couldn't manage a hamster cage if they're life depended on it. This company must have the highest turnover of all corps in SC. I can't speak for other locations, but this particular location is headed straight down. This company is a bottom feeder with nothing positive to say about it, except for the other associates that were fun to work with.
Only if you have no where else to go
Former employee (Former Employee), Sunriver ResortJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: none really - what was there in earlier years were taken away.
Cons: everything about the place.
The work itself was not so bad. It is just not a place that cares about the "associates" as we were called. Even though we were put through customer service training to "empower" us, what management fails to realize is that the greatest empowerment is an employee that feels valued. Destination Resorts or at least the Sunriver Resort part of the corporation does not value good employees. I do not recall ever speaking with one person that felt they mattered there. Hard work nor loyalty is appreciated. I heard there was a business that had come there for their annual conference for several years that asked some of he associates they encountered, if Sunriver was a good place to work. The associates gave their opinion and this corporation did not like the response the received and did not return to the resort for anymore conference. I wish I knew who it was, it is likely a great place to work.

The likely-hood of ever getting to move up to a better job is very unlikely. If one is doing a job well it seems that is as far as it is possible to good, no matter how much experience one may have.

There was a time that this was a desirable place to work. Not anymore - why drive to Sunriver for a job that is not any better or even as good as any other resort? Resort jobs are a dime a dozen now - Sunriver Resort still thinks it is a big deal to get a job there.

Central Oregon is full of resort jobs. Find a place that will at least appreciate you and reward a job well done. It surely isn't goin to happen at Sunriver Resort.
sales (Former Employee), californiaDecember 30, 2014
After having worked in the hotel industry for a number of years, this company is by far the worst experience I have encountered.

There are far too many hands in the pot, lack of trust, full disclosure is NOT given at time of being brought on board... Ramp up? What a joke... no time given to become acclimated at all.

Threats often given to the team that their jobs are in jeopardy.... poor morale, bad leadership, more like dictatorship. In their eyes one plus one equals five and they will do whatever to make you believe it equals five.

Just an overall poor experience.
Life at the corporate office
Digital Marketing & Social Media Manager (Former Employee), Englewood, CODecember 1, 2014
Pros: fast growing company with a lot of opportunity for the right person
Cons: high stress, low morale, lack of trust
I think that under the right circumstances Destination can be a great place to work, however there are some things everyone should know if they're considering a position there. Full disclosure: the company was a bad fit for me and I left after eight months. This is my own individual experience, so take it with a grain of salt.

Culture: there are a lot of employees that have been there five to ten years or more. This creates a sort of "lifer's club" vibe that feels a little isolating if you're new on the block. Everyone is very heads down, working hard to fulfill on an often heavy workload. Yet, the company also sets the expectation that everyone mix and mingle, leading to awkward events that most people attend long enough to get their name checked off the roll. To their credit, they are working on improving culture but at this point in time there's a long way to go.

Policies: there are a lot of company policies that seem a little dated to me. You can't use the PTO you're accruing until you've been there six months, but if you leave before you're there a year they don't pay out the PTO balance. This led to several unpaid days and a lot of money left on the table. IT policies are restrictive and kind of "big brother" - you can't install a single program by yourself and benign sites like Pandora are blocked in the web filter. You're reminded every time you boot up your laptop that the company could be snooping on your activity at any point - not the greatest trust-builder.

Expectations: this is a company of achievers. That's not bad all by itself, but I saw the bar being set – more... so high that people were killing themselves to meet those expectations. The communication of responsibilities are often not crystal clear. In my role, the day to day responsibilities were downright unreasonable - Destination even admitted that my position should be spread among two or three people. On top of the standard responsibilities, if the company brings on a new hotel (which they do regularly) it's an all hands on deck fire drill to do a transition, meaning a lot of additional work. They talk about work life balance, but the fact of the matter is most people come in early, stay late, skip lunch, work on weekends, etc.

Management/Org. Structure: the org chart is pretty tall here, creating a very corporate and siloed work environment. It's not the same in every department, but I was micromanaged (daily meetings with my superior). Upper management is often unavailable due to work and travel schedules. Every activity is scrutinized under the lens of maximizing profit and ROI, however I also found a lot of certainty of opinion in management. So if you see a way to improve things, there is a heavy burden of proof before the idea is even considered.

Industry: if you're not already in the hotel industry, know that the business is complex and there is a big learning curve. There is a whole glossary of insider concepts and acronyms. At Destination, the onus is on you to learn all the ins and outs of the business as quickly as possible - formal training is not provided. It's certainly do-able, but understand that there's an additional component to ramp-up if you're not already familiar with REVPAR, DORO, DOSM, POG, MK12, MK16, etc.

In closing, I don't think Destination is necessarily a bad company to work for but there are some serious issues that people should consider so that they're going into the company eyes wide open. If you're not already in the hotel industry, or you don't have a clear strategic opportunity to advance your career, I'd advise asking lots of questions during the interview process to make sure it's the right place for you. I know this is a long review, but I hope it helps you make an informed decision about working there. – less
Very Good People
Director of Finance (Current Employee), 3 locationsMay 27, 2014
Technologically challenged company, each group (marketing, revenue, accounting, engineering, etc) off doing their own thing, instead of coming up with systems that work together

Great revenue management group at the 3 properties I worked at.
Hospitality
Hostess (Former Employee), Olympic Valley, CAApril 18, 2014
Progressive & High spirited workplace atmosphere and people
Long hours, Bad management
chef (Former Employee), coloradoNovember 5, 2013
Pros: pay rate are above average
Cons: very poor managment.
In one year working there never had a day off without multiple calls from manager... once a week had to go to work on day off. Manager lefter early every day!
Management is inexperienced.
Accounting (Former Employee), ChicagoSeptember 29, 2013
Not a good company to work for. Management want you to be friendly and excited about your job, but they are not. This company do not treat their employees well.
Productive & Fun workplace with room to grow
Spa Concierge/Sales Clerk (Current Employee), Miami, FLSeptember 12, 2013
Pros: discounts on rosetta stone
Cons: pay for lunch
DHR is a great place to work.Operations run well, great coworkers.
Great customer service standards, not great to employees.
PT and FT positions (Former Employee), ColoradoJune 26, 2013
Pros: great environment to learn about customer service
Cons: do not generally treat employees well
The company overall has incredible customer service standards and you can learn a lot here. The collection of hotels is amazing but you may not get the time off opportunity to enjoy them. The insurance benefits are great but suggest not becoming a monetary liability and covering only yourself.
If you show your willingness to work and drive to learn more you will probably be overworked.
Most positions do not pay well.
Disappointmnet
Spa (Current Employee), Rancho Palos VerdesApril 26, 2013
Pros: the view, the guests, the pay.
Cons: bad management. no room for growth.
Not very considerate to the employees needs. Cuts hours of the full-time therapists, saying that there's not enoughwork but, every quarter your manager gives you a letter saying that you are in danger of losing your benefits because you didn't work enough hours and yet they continue to hire on-call and part-time therapists to avoid offering benefits.
You are hired to provide a service and are paid by a tier catagory where you only qualify a higher percentage if you meet a list of crazy requirements.

June 10, 2013

Over all would you not recommend working there as a LMT. I have 7yrs experience at one of the top spas in the US. They are advertising for massage therapist but haven't gotten back to me about a job of witch I am very qualified. Seems to me like a lack of organization and good management. If I was hired part time would it be easy to make it up to full-time given I'm reliable ? Also are you somewhat busy year round? Thanks so much for your time.

Best Job ever
Assistant Director of Food and Beverage (Former Employee), Palm Coast, FLFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: free golf, free food, beautiful resort
Cons: liesurely lifestyle
I loved this job so much! The resort has had many owners sinced I left, but what a great place.
Ok Company to work for.
Director of Engineering (Former Employee), Florham Park, NJFebruary 10, 2013
Overall nice work enviroment, challenging but nice job.
Job got tougher in the past years due to economy which lead to staff reduction but same expectations.
No room for advancement, Horrible Management, Pay not worth the labor
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Elua, Ekahi, Polo, GrandchampionsDecember 18, 2012
Pros: no free lunches for housekeepers! no overtime pay!
Cons: no breaks, and bad medical and dental insurance premiums
Everyday you start in the morning from 6 or 8am. You start bagging you towels or linen. You would make at least five bags a day. They would want you to start with a towel service or a linen first. All by yourself you provide fresh towels and linen to your guest. Then you would do your cleans, if and when the guest check out. It may be late like three that they may check out but you have to make sure that you finish the job. Now the downfalls of this occupation, especially with destination resorts, the property managers really suck! Here on maui the property managers, accuse, assume, they really don't have the knowledge to manage their housekeepers or maintenance right without disrespecting them. Obviously because most of them dont have the knowledge to do such a job. So if youre interested be careful, most of the property managers for elua and ekolu and ekahi, grand champions are very hard to work with. there was nothing I had learned that they intentionaly thought me. Co workers are long timers, been thru probably what once was the best of management. However their not that patient because they all are piece rate workers. Day to day you need borrow what they call their personal vans, make sure you dont leave extras, or you dont take any supplies, because they claim its theirs but its actually the companies of course. So with that being said alot of harrasing goes down when these actions are taken into place. The hardest part of the job is knowing that your a good and awsome worker with great aloha spirit. But the co-workers you work are snobby, and ignorant. They dont a good job on their cleans, majority of the time, and as a new comer you have to clean what they had missed. There is nothing to enjoy working for this company, best bet is to get your experience and get out!
A fun place to work
DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING (Former Employee), Suncadia Resort and Skamania LodgeDecember 12, 2012
Destination Hotels & Resorts is a very forward thinking company, innovative, caring of our carbon foot print and what we can do together to serve others and having fun doing so. A happy life creates happiness for others and in turn will create future happiness and caring.
Low paying. No room for advancement, Piece rate pay.
Housekeeper (Current Employee), Kihei, MauiNovember 6, 2012
Cons: lousy pay, lack of comunication, lazy management.
Working here is not the best housekeeping job out there. Elua village in particular, pay by piece rate. The amount of work that is expected, and the pay that you make is not worth your time. Piece rate means you get paid by each task performed. If you don't do each task up to par, they take away some of your money. The best way to know how much your getting paid, is to add up all the money you make each week, and divide it by the hrs you worked that week. The pay scale is different each week. Sometimes you will be making a lot of money, sometimes you'll be making less than minimum wage. (It really depends on how fast and thorough you are.) At Elua village, the housekeepers here are mainly old timers. Most of which, don't perform their jobs really well. There is a strong lack of communication here. The management don't really do their jobs very well either and don't seem to care very much about anything. When It comes to suspending or write ups, the management just let the incompentent go. Mainly because they never have enough workers and anyone that gets freshly hired, quit within a week.

December 5, 2012

I had worked at this company for over a year. I wish i had never came to this job. This job is all about harrasing, favortism, low paying, and favortism. When I started I got accused for stealing from other ladies vans, everyday since I am being harrased for their accusation.The housekeepers get in my face and yell at me while managers are in their office smiling. you work with company vans. the housekeepers claims that it s their personal vans. Oh and they hate when you use their vans (without a choice,) and you leave extras in their vans.For example a box of kleneex or two toileit paper rolls, they turn into a beast and harass and pick on you. They get in your face, and ask you whyd you leave in there. Total harrasment, and do you see management doing a thing aboutit . no, I feel like I'm getting picked on. Favortism, managers control on how much you get paid, because your not geting paid by the hour, and you get paid on what kind of job you do in how big of a room. a towel service may cost 4.00 and you best be in that room for at least an hour, so you wont get deducted from your managers. 4.00 for an hour, can you believe this shyt!!!! however their favorite workers can bring home 90 dollars a day. They may not do a good job as much as you but they get paid more. YOu can walk into their room and there sand and dirt on the floor but they wont get deducted from their paycheck. when i started i trained with all housekeepers and the first thing management said to me, we hope we put you with someone that cleans good ...huh? SO everything that i do is the way i was trained, and to get written up for the on how i was trained is bull. managers arent fair, and from h.r. to supervisors they are all best buds so you have no where to go to talk to about your managers. I thank god that i dont work here anymore, they wrote me up for so many minor things that it eventually got me fired.

Great Staff & Beautiful Hotel
Tele-Sales Agent (Current Employee), Denver, COJuly 31, 2012
No two days are the same. It is a very fun place to work. This company has high expectations of is employees, but at the same time gives you the tools to meet these expectations. The hotels is legendary, therefore making the staff willing to perform at high levels to maintain the integrity of the property.
Sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Vail, COJune 3, 2012
Pros: lunch provided, great coworkers
Cons: offices don't have windows
Group sales, reservation sales, running reports. Coworkers were very helpful and always willing to take time away from what they were doing to asset one another.
Comfortable yet professional working environment with potential for advancement
Hostess, Shula's Steakhouse (Current Employee), Tampa, FLMay 13, 2012
Pros: hotel discounts, health insurance
Cons: food gets wasted
Working for Destination Hotels and Resorts is a wonderful experience. I have learned extensive information about the hospitality and food and beverage industry. I almost always look forward to work and always feel great giving my best at work. I get along great with my co-workers. Management is excellent except for one manager who doesn't seem to add anything but frustration to the establishment. The most enjoyable part of the day is giving a guest excellent customer service and them smiling with satisfaction.