Destination XL Group Employee Reviews

Absolutely terrible upper management
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Canton, MAAugust 30, 2017
You will get fired if the VPs don't like you, or if someone complains enough about you to them.CEO is so stupid. Company is definitely going bankrupt.
Pros
Out on Fridays at 1pm in Summer, out on Fridays at 3pm any other season
Cons
Terrible management, terrible training, high turnover, no leadership, no accountability
The worst job I have ever had
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Holyoke, MAJuly 28, 2017
I worked for this company for 2.5 years and it was the WORST job I could have. I couldn't get a raise, I had no life at all, and the commission was terrible. This company's management structure sucks and they don't really give the employees a chance to get a promotion. Instead they hire other people who know nothing about the company to come and a manage store. On a good note My district manager was absolutely AMAZING!!! One of the most caring, down to earth people I will ever meet.
Pros
discount
Cons
management sucked, pay sucked
Decent place to work
Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Canton, MAJuly 9, 2017
A typical day at work for me is training our contact center population on various subjects. I truly enjoy the people I work with but find it most challenging to look at my job expectations versus my current compensation.
If you like cut-throat, this is for you!
ASM (Former Employee) –  OhioJuly 6, 2017
I had a terrible experience working for this company. It started off well enough, but I was lied to from jump about potential for pay, advancement opportunities, and management style. Highly cut-throat. A lot of deceitful people with their own agendas. Unhappy clientele was not dealt with appropriately. Overall bad experience. Loved the concept of the store, but not the execution or upper level management.
Cons
No breaks, low pay for responsibilities
Not what I expected
Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) –  Canton, MAMarch 13, 2017
I worked at this company for over a year. I would describe the job and the team I worked for as not very collaborative, and upper management would do anything to save a penny. They would cut buyers and have assistants do tenfold the work with no pay raise. There was little to no direction or training. It was a very sink or swim atmosphere, and very cut throat.

The workplace culture in my opinion promoted gossip and little to no movement unless you were a favorite. The hardest part of the job was maintaining a work life balance and communicating with bosses that were rude in their demeanor.
Pros
presentation experience, face to face exposure with CEO
Cons
Work through break (common practice), no colloboration, no direction, or training
okay
Stock Manager (Current Employee) –  Carle Place, NYJanuary 16, 2017
alot of shipment for just one person the other team member do not help you there is no stock team its just you. the hardest part is moving heavy boxes thats stacked up to the sealing and folding them by yourself
Working with the quests is the best part of each day.
General Manager/Disrtict Trainer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 1, 2017
Best part of the job is assisting each quest and give them the complete wardrobe in which they feel good in and look great in.
The guest leave happy and empowered in their new looks.
Great company to work for !!
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2016
A great environment to always learn new ideas from all managers. Its one big family everyone will always guide you in the right direction. Amazing people, Always opportunity to grow with the company and learn ways how to always be better.
Pros
flexibility
Big on Being Ballbusters
Tailor (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 23, 2016
You could pretty much be the perfect employee and still get crapped on here. For Tailoring the training modules stink. You're going to get thrown in and sink or swim. I ran register and stocked in addition to helping customers and had to find my own tailor shop customers. Short handed and helped run the store in a time of crisis just to be thanked with a reprimand instead of praise. the RvP is a joke!!!
Pros
The customers are usually super appreciate of your advice
Cons
Evil business ethics, corporate is clueless
Not Worth it
GSA (Former Employee) –  TexasAugust 3, 2016
No pay raises or promotions, and horrible hours. The assistant managers are great but the store manager was awful and is not fit to be a manager.
Pros
Cons
Hours, Pay
Former Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 25, 2016
This company claims to be laid back and fun, that is not the case at all. Though my situation was unique, it probably should have served as a warning that all was not right. The assistant manager quit, the SM had to go out on leave and the key holder also went out on leave. That left me in the building confused and with temporary managers trying to teach me how to be what I was told I wouldn't be. I was told one thing and given a salary that was commiserate with those duties. To then be told I had to do much more for 7.35 was ridiculous. I can get a part time cashier job and make 8.50 to 11.00 per hour. 7.35 was not worth the stress.
Pros
Discount and really nice customers
Cons
Management structure is horrible. Operations is disorderly and outdated.
Terrible Company, employees take one's eyes to the other enemies are all one another, criticize each other and speak ill of his fellow with the bosse
Master Tailor (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYFebruary 17, 2016
The directors do not respect the professionals who work for that company, such as a master of tailoring they intend to vote rubbish and clean the bathrooms, when a person is hired to do a job should do the job for which he was hired, TERRIBLE COMPANY. 00000.
Horrible company to work for
Regional Store Opening Manager (Former Employee) –  Union, NJFebruary 4, 2016
This job removed my ability to have a life. Being that it was commission base in a very slow moving business, times proved hard. Management in store were okay. Anything from regional manager and higher were horrible people who did not care about the employee at all. I had amazing co-workers. The hardest part of the job was upselling people who could not afford the already stagnant prices for big and tall men's clothes($40 for and Xmen Tshirt you would pay $10 for at Kohl's). I enjoyed traveling to open new stores and teaching newcomers the way of the business. I also loved my store so much, it was beautiful and we kept it very clean, organized and we met our metrics consistently! I wish it would've been recognized with additional development for our store.
Look before leaping
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJanuary 25, 2016
You will spend many days and nights working alone. You will be expected to handle inventory and to replenish stock on your own. You will be doing a lot of what management should do but it will fall on you. If there is a problem with the registers you will have difficulties reaching management. I spent time there working long shifts with little to no help- often I would work an extra long shift and be expected to return early next day for another long shift. Also while there is some commission based pay that can cause issues with people taking credit for your sales., or swiping the customer away in the middle of a sale. Also in the end there was not enough federal tax taken out from my checks! There is little to no morale and often despite good efforts or intentions do not expect any sort of praise. What you did not accomplish will be pointed out
Customers are easy to deal with, there is an employee discount which is very nice. This place seems to be a revolving door of staff.
High End Cloths
Stock Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Novi, MINovember 6, 2015
This place is a good company to work with, great co-workers everyone is easy to get along with. It's not a stressful environment and costumers love to shop with us because we make them feel impotent.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
no health care for part-time
Not a very good place to work
keyholder (Former Employee) –  paSeptember 22, 2015
I worked there for a little over a year, it was nothing but drama. Management doesn't listen. As for work schedules its good for someone who has no life, no family, and work your butt off for little pay. Have management responsibilities without management pay.
Pros
customers
Cons
everything
I was with the company for 9 years
Direct Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Canton, MAJune 12, 2015
I enjoyed my work experience at DXLG. I was with the company 9 years and had 3 positions. I worked with many different departments and have life long friendships. My co-workers were great we were more like a family. I will miss them.
Pros
They had a gym.
Cons
beneifits
Good entry level management opportunity...
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  IndianapolisApril 19, 2015
As a store manager in a sub prime area... we had a store of two... manager and assistant manager. We were held up at gun point. And yet no additional hours were allocated for employee coverage and working open to close 4 nights a week is borderline ridiculous. For someone who does not have a family, has no life, and doesnt mind being treated as a "sweat shop" go for it.
Pros
?
Cons
Reference the above.
Great retail experience,team sales, and always met quarterly sales goals. Exceptional relationships with coworkers and customers.
GSA (Former Employee) –  HoustonMarch 25, 2015
A typical day at work was mostly fulfilling. Keeping the sales floor in order, assisting the WC's with guests needs and requests. Cashwrap. Tasking ,Customer service...fun. I enjoyed building friendships with my (team)coworkers and many regular guests.
The most difficult part, was always being fearful that the store manager would "come undone" over little things. She was easily overwhelmed.
Store Manager is high-strung, self serving, abusive, and lacks humility. Needs anger management training. Not a positive team leader. 4 employees left within 30 days, citing similar reasons.

The most enjoyable part was knowing that I always did my best, and had some amazing interactions with guests on a regular basis.
Pros
Positive "retail" experience
Cons
Needs a stable manager with the ability to lead a successful team, not just have good sales #'s
Great customers/terrible management
Assistant Store Manager of Operations (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAMarch 12, 2015
I worked for this company for a very long time. Put in my time and was finally promoted to an Assistant Manager. After about a year the company made the switch from Casual Male to DXL and I moved with them but was told I had to re-apply. A 20 min conversation with some lady half way across the country who doesn't even work for the company decided I was to be demoted along with my store manager as well. Pay was cut way down, hours were cut way down, and new management was brought it that didn't know anything about clothing or the company. Both myself and my old manager were training them to do our old jobs and then because they were not learning anything we would end up doing our jobs as well as theirs. It turned out that the new store manager was very shady, stealing money and clothing etc. not to mention he was verbally abusive and conniving. Reports of the abuse went no where. He was permitted to get away with all of the horrible treatment of employees and manipulation of their time cards, for 4 months and then they finally sent someone in from LP to investigate. The District Manager was even covering for him and telling him things that were being reported so he would have a heads up. Their investigations proved that he had stolen and I ended up quitting the day before due to all of the stress and I was also offered another job. However, I found out later that they were planning on firing me next because I was around while another employee stole. So even though I reported this manager it wasn't enough and I was supposed to have known the about the other employee and reported  more... them as well. Customers were amazing and things I learned here I still use. I loved everything about my job except the politics. Now, this District Manager that covered everything up and protected the store manager among many other illegal and immoral things he did, got a promotion! Its all about who you know, not how hard of a worker you are. I reported his behavior to HR and they did nothing! They were going to let him fire me if I hadn't quit.  less
Pros
Great customers! Great job! Fun and new everyday!
Cons
Management and bureaucratic bulls**t!