Detroit Diesel Corporation (DDC) says keep on truckin' -- it will continue to make a full lineup of engines. DDC sells its heavy-duty, diesel engines and hybrid line to the commercial truck market. It offers 190 to 560 horsepower engines for vocational and on-highway customers. The Series 60, a heavy-duty diesel engine with electronic controls, is its #1 seller. DDC has built more than 5 million engines since 1938; more than 1 million power trucks worldwide. DDC also remanufactures two- and four-cycle engines. It services its engines through a network of some 800 outlets in North America. Most sales are made directly to truck makers in the US. Detroit Diesel is a brand affiliate of Daimler Trucks North America.
Under Daimler, DDC has continued to update its Redford manufacturing facility and lineup. In mid-2010 DDC announced plans to invest $194 million in the facility. Its renovation and expansion, which is supported by a number of state and local incentives, will provide manufacturing capacity for Daimler's BlueTec® selective catalytic reduction (SCR) technology. Installed on the DD15® heavy-duty diesel engine, the technology is designed to meet EPA 2010 emission standards. The investment follows a facility expansion in 2007 for original production of the DD15®, a replacement for the Series 60 diesel engine that set a new benchmark in meeting environmental standards for heavy-duty, on-highway engines.
Detroit Diesel traces back to a predecessor business, established in 1938 as the GM Diesel Division, part of General Motors. GM Diesel became the Detroit Diesel Engine Division in 1965. Five years later, GM consolidated the division with the Allison Division (a manufacturer of automotive transmissions and gas turbines) to form the Detroit Diesel Allison.
In early 1988, Detroit Diesel Corporation was created as a joint venture between GM and Penske Corporation. DDC went public less than six years later. DaimlerChrysler bought DDC in 2000. The German-American carmaker combined DDC with the industrial engine business of Mercedes-Benz into a business unit called DaimlerChrysler Powersystems.
As part of a larger restructuring in 2006, DaimlerChrysler sold DDC's off-highway engine operations to investment firm EQT. Following DaimlerChrysler's break up (into Daimler and Chrysler) in 2007, DDC emerged as a wholly owned subsidiary of Daimler.