Job Title: Designer-Checker – Senior Mechanical Designer/Checker
Department: Mechanical Engineering
Reports to: Mechanical Engineering Team Leader
Purpose: Working in a team environment, responsible for completion of designs, drawings and models for customer specific off-highway trucks and equipment. Depending on need and experience, this position may occasionally work in the hydraulics and/or electrical engineering environment.
Location: 26105 Lannys Road, Novi, Michigan corporate headquarters.
Background: DHTE, LLC is a design and engineering firm developing the world’s largest diesel-electric mining dump trucks, mechanical-drive dump trucks, and various mining equipment, for global sales and usage. We are also working with international customers to further optimize their existing off-highway vehicle capacities, efficiencies, and longevity.
Functions and Responsibilities:
- Work with an international team on the design, development, manufacturing and assembly of 400ton diesel-electric mining trucks, 100ton mechanical-drive dump trucks, and related off- highway equipment.
- Research, develop, plan and design specific mechanical parts and components to meet customer specifications. Occasional assistance may be provided to the hydraulics and/or electrical teams as needed for specific drawings, layouts and/or modeling.
- Interface with integrated engineers as required during the design process.
- Develop a detailed Technical Data Package (TDP) including CAD models, Layout and Drawings, Bill of Materials (BOM’s), Requests for Quotes (RFQ’s) and associated engineering documents.
- Assist Chief Engineer and Engineering teams on problem resolution of field, logistic and manufacturing issues.
- Prepare engineering instructions for manufacturing
- Work with the prototype shop on the fabrication and validation of prototype structures and appendages.
- Develop engineering design concepts via design and optimization software including SolidWorks, ProE, AutoCAD and coordinate related stress analysis verification.
- Provide status to functional and program management an assigned tasks as required.
- Assist in the preparation of Bill of Materials (BOM), Requests for Quotes (RFQ), Parts Numbering system parameters and other engineering related documents.
- Areas of responsibilities include component systems, front wheel and spindle assembly, rims, front and rear brakes, front suspension system, rear axle, and running gear systems.
- Critical eye for detail, proven ability to bring engineering design concepts to completion.
- Ensures products and systems conform to engineering design standards and customer specifications.
- Meet program timing deadlines
Essential Job Duties:
- As a Checker, will perform comparative checks of drawings and models (both components and assemblies) and related engineering documents, to ensure completeness and accuracy against marked prints, to customer, corporate and industry standards. Will identify and correct minor mistakes or deviations and/or bring to the attention of the engineering staff. Responsible for “red-lining” of drawings for corrections.
- As a Designer, will complete drawings, schematics, models, BOM, RFQ, and various documents and other communications to insure essential information is understandable, complete and comprehensive.
Required Experience, Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- 5/6 or more years experienced in SolidWorks 2D drawings and 3D modeling
- Bachelor’s degree or better, in an Engineering related field
- Ability to learn new software quickly and easily and move between different software programs as required
- Must be “hands on” and willing to work with all levels of production and engineering personnel, with a good mix of practical, and analytical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of ISO and DIN standards
- Ability to work well in a team environment and under tight deadlines
- Ability to work well in a diverse, multi-cultural environment
- Ability to work flexible hours when needed.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Other skills requested but not required:
- Chinese language skill a plus
- Hydraulics experience a plus
- Working knowledge of ProE, SolidWorks, and/or AutoCAD
- A valid passport or the ability to obtain one within 30 days. Note: it is not expected for this position to involve travel to Asian customer sites, but the ability to travel is a plus.
- A valid Driver’s License
- Valid work eligibility
Indeed - 2 years ago
Founded to specifically develop a new 400 ton ultra-class haul truck for a Chinese manufacturer, DHTE has expanded to design and engineer...