Job Title: Fluid Power Team Leader
Department: Hydraulics Engineering
Reports to: Director of Engineering Services
Purpose: Manage and assist the Hydraulics team with a line of Diesel, Electrical, and Mechanical mining trucks and off-highway equipment. Manage a team of designers, engineers and drafts-people in the design, engineering, and layout of hydraulic components and systems; to locate them on the frame and structural members of various types of mining and construction equipment. Work with a team to produce 2D drawings and 3D modeling for all fluid power systems on a vehicle. This is a functional engineering position: approximately 70% of the time spent on engineering work, 30% managerial for a team of 2-4 professionals.
Location: 26105 Lannys Road, Novi, Michigan corporate headquarters, plus occasional global travel to remote customer locations including mining sites and assembly facilities in China or elsewhere.
History: DHTE, LLC is a design and engineering firm, developing the world’s largest diesel-electric mining dump trucks, mechanical-drive dump trucks, and off-highway equipment, for global usage and sales. We are also working with international customers to further optimize their existing off-highway vehicle capacities, efficiencies and longevity.
- Work with an international team on the design, development, manufacturing and assembly of 400ton diesel-electric mining trucks up to 400 ton capacity, 100ton mechanical-drive dump trucks, and various other mining trucks and related equipment
- Provide managerial oversight and assistance to the hydraulics group, including system/sub-system development, field support, and troubleshooting
- Assist in planning and scheduling hydraulic systems projects with emphasis on hydraulic system component layout
- Determine loads and forces required to properly attach and operate those components.
- Select fittings and hoses for all ranges of flow and pressure and produce assembly drawings for production.
- Develop hydraulic system piping layouts.
- Provide status reports to management as required.
- Meet with vendors and suppliers to qualify their components.
- Work at customer sites to validate operation and performance of various subsystems including steering system, auto lube system, braking, hoisting, and weight display systems, as well as start-up, shut-down and safety systems.
- Collaborate with other departments on design integration and scheduling, and represent the hydraulics team at design, customer, vendor and/or managerial and staff meetings.
Hydraulics Team Responsibilities:
- Determine the size of an accumulator to operate a steering or brake system with no engine power.
- Calculate flows required to drive a hydraulic motor with given torque requirements.
- Determine forces required to hydraulically operate levers and linkages.
- Determine hydraulic motor and cylinder operating speeds and times.
- Match electrical control elements to a directional control valve.
- Layout a piping arrangement with minimal supervision using the correct sized components and hydraulic conductors, maintaining a reasonably efficient system.
- Create models using SolidWorks systems.
Essential Job Duties:
- Efficiently and effectively manage a team of professionals including designers, engineers and fluid power specialists.
- Establish timing deadlines and design criteria; ensure drawings, models, schematics, layouts, and all required documentation are completed accurately and on time.
- Provide managerial oversight of diagnostic systems development, field support and troubleshooting.
- Perform hands on testing and verification during development (including bench, factory, and field) at remote sites.
- Establish and maintain the documentation system for software or component application that supports records for further development, and operation and field maintenance.
- Collaborates with other engineering personnel in designs; fabrication of test control apparatus and equipment, and determines methods, procedures, and conditions for testing products.
- Directs activities to ensure that manufacturing, construction, installation, and operational testing conform to functional specifications and customer requirements.
- Directs and coordinates operation, maintenance, and repair of equipment and systems in field installations.
- Uses computer assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform engineering tasks.
- Ability to interface and communicate with other departments and field personnel within the company.
- Create Bill of Materials (BOM’s), Request for Quotes (RFQ’s) and other engineering related documents.
- Create and manage Engineering Change Orders (ECO) with internal and external team members
- Meet with vendors for special devices development and evaluate vendor capabilities and negotiate/coordinate with new vendors as necessary.
- Research and recommend new technology.
Required Experience, Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
NOTE: this position is as a functioning engineer as well as managerial. CAD knowledge is required.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Mature Design Experience.
- 5+ years Systems design experience in construction vehicles, mining equipment, or other off-highway vehicles, with design responsibility for the overall design. Other industries will be considered if the engineer has had total design responsibility.
- Component selection experience based on mechanical design requirements including forces moments and component sizing. Experience in determining the force levels, flows and pressures required to operate the system.
- Understand the operation of pumps, motors, pressure and directional control valves, motors and cylinders. Should be able to analyze system response based on component actions and reactions.
- Experience in SolidWorks preferred; AutoCAD 3D, Pro-E or similar CAD programs will be considered.
- Experience in field installation of hydraulic components and systems.
- Hydraulic tank design. Experience in determining height requirements and efficient design to prevent cavitation and provide adequate cooling plus minimum volume for cylinder operation.
- System cooling calculations and sizing of coolers. Designing for efficient operation of system.
- Knowledge of fluid conveyance products. Aeroquip products preferred.
- Hands on prototype development including field-testing, evaluation and corrective actions.
- Prior experience creating, documenting, developing, testing and troubleshooting fluid power systems/hydraulics systems.
- Prior experience as a team leader or in a managerial role is a plus.
- Chinese language skills a plus but not required
- Must have excellent English-language oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work well in a team environment and under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work well in a diverse, multi-cultured work force.
- Ability to work flexible hours when needed.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point).
- Valid driver’s license
- Valid work eligibility
- Valid passport and/or the ability to acquire one within 30 days
- Ability to travel internationally and obtain China Visa
- Ability to travel globally to remote customer sites in China and elsewhere; may include travel up to 25% and include remote locations such as mining sites and assembly facilities overseas.
Founded to specifically develop a new 400 ton ultra-class haul truck for a Chinese manufacturer, DHTE has expanded to design and engineer...