Detroit Medical Center

Detroit Medical Center Employee Reviews

Good learning environment, work & responsibility challenges
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 21, 2016
Good learning environment, work & responsibility challenges. Learned much about environment & workplace ethics, dealing with departmental requirements regarding patient needs, healthcare management and importance of network communications within a corporate environment.
Pros
Good learning environment
Cons
Some workplace stress
GREAT COMPANY...But will break your heart
Corporate Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 25, 2016
I absolutely loved this company with my heart and soul I started off and worked until I got to corporate. If you have a true desire to help those whom are less fortunate or just need help medically financially etc this is a great place to get that opportunity. The culture is really diverse and like all places there are a few bad apples the only problem is the direction of the company. I personally have been laid off twice and it took me three years to get benefits. The experience was truly heart breaking I really loved working there and their is many opportunities they just somehow end up in the wrong hands. Nevertheless I wish this company nothing but the best the community depends on their success
Pros
The Community
Cons
Job Security, Promotion
not a very good place to work,
Sterile Processing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 20, 2016
You will learn a lot but there is a lot of back stabbing, talking behind your back, if you don't agree with everything going on management will be out to get. retaliation is real there.
Pros
there is room for advancement
Cons
stressful real stressful.
Collection, Billing, registration, computer training
Billing analyst/Collection clerk (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 23, 2016
Contact insurance company for payment on insurance claims,
there was no hard part of my job the most enjoyable part was getting claims paid and training staff on link system
Good pay
courier II and courier I (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 9, 2016
I enjoy my job but the leadership is very poor. Working there is like high school all over again, too many immature and unprofessional people starting from the top. However, if you can get past all of the above the pay and benefits are good.
Pros
good pay, good benefits
Cons
poor mgmt, overall lack of professionalism
Great Environment
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 16, 2016
• Scheduled meetings with developers, System Analyst and testers to collaborate resource allocation and project completion using MS Project, MS Visio.
• Engaged client groups to determine requirements and goals.
• Support the projects as per PMO standards and met SLA’s.
• Utilized Waterfall methodology to configure and develop process, standards, and procedures and create a Business requirement Document.
• Responsible for preparing Software Requirement Specification (SRS) and documenting them.
• Created Process Work flows, Functional Specifications documents and documented system requirements.
• Provided implementation assessment, strategy, and mentoring services for Rational Rose.
• Interacted with various cross-functional teams on building business use cases, and understanding expenses and revenue stream.
• Involved in the formulation of Business Requirements Document (BRD) after all business requirements were defined clearly.
• Worked with clients to better understand their needs and presented solutions using structured SDLC approach.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Long Hours
POOR! Dept. Management!
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 6, 2015
Management and Supervision will do anything to get you fired if you do not side with them. New hires are not trained or treated right. The Director always go along with the manager, since he appears to know nothing,
Pros
Great place to get started in the field.
Cons
Management is subpar and untrustworthy.
Management is horrible
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MINovember 22, 2015
MANAGEMENT IS HORRIBLE, UNDER PAY, DON'T WORK. AROUND YOUR SCHEDULE , ALWAYS SHORT ON WORKERS

Worked at Sinai-Grace Hospital on the west side of Detroit. Building falling apart, elevators hardly worked, Always worked short staffed. Management never addressed any issues. Lowest pay in the city.
Pros
THE BENEFITS
Cons
MANAGEMENT
Laid back department
Communications Operator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 15, 2015
This department is a easy going and very relaxed atmosphere. The management team is very accommodating as far as scheduling changes for school or family needs. The other Communications Specialist in the department are a very tight knit group who treat one another like family. Working here, I have had the opportunity to join several different committees and learn the various functions and inner workings of other departments that I was not familiar with. The Medical Center also offer many helpful professional development classes that I have had the opportunity to take advantage of.
Pros
There is always a celebration on birthdays and holidays.
Cons
There is no room for advancement within the department itself.
productive and education work place.
RIM Sitter (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 6, 2015
typical day included checking in with nurses for any special instructions. Watching the patient, conversating, and helping as much as possible. Assisting in feeding sometimes. Notate patient condition ( mental behavior, whether patient was calm or abusive toward self or others). Make sure patient does not hurt self or others, help out of bed for bathroom (if permitted).
Pros
One on one with patient, feeling of accomplishment and touching a life like no one else can. Satisfying.
Cons
Contingent/ temporary.
Okay place to work for
surgical technician (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 2, 2015
Henry Ford is better, DMC has budget issues and also has a large disconnect between staff members. Management says they listen to employees but don't and the lower your position the more you're concerns are ignored.
Hardest part of the job
Patient Attendant Safety (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 13, 2015
The hardest part of the job is having so many patients and not being to come to their room as soon as they want you to because you want to help everyone. It can get busy in a hospital and you want all your patients to get better but sometimes you have to spend 10 extra minutes in one room because of complications. But overall fun work place. Some people can be too uptight because they have a hard time balancing life and work. Not really a place to grow and develop, once you get the job that's pretty much it. I enjoyed the patients the most, even though some of them are sick and hurting they make sure that the employees smile and laugh.
Pros
Discounts at a lot of places, helping people, sometimes free lunch
Cons
breaks rooms, no room for growth, easy to get sick, cold
overall experience
Executive Secretary (Current Employee) –  detroit, mi 48238September 2, 2015
My overall experience was great, I learned a lot, the co. has great benefits, unfortunately the DMC is outsourcing my dept..so I have to look for other employment....but I love my job as executive secretary to the executive director of Linen Services..I the most difficult part of the job was the payroll deadline around the holidays..Overall I enjoyed my job and the people I worked with.
Pros
great benefits, learned a great deal, loved my job
Cons
the DMC is outsourcing the dept that I work in as of 11/2/15
Decent people, poor upper management
Health Plans Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 10, 2015
No help, not enough people in positions to assist adequately. Lack of communication from middle management to upper management.
Team atmosphere
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 18, 2015
When I started at DMC over 8 years ago, the company had great benefits and incentives....now fast forward to the years of ownership under Vanguard and now Tenet the environment isn't the same but I am still proud that I work here. Tuition reimbursement was cut out earlier this year and most of the people that plan on furthering their education are looking for employment elsewhere. If you are a new employee the benefits package is not very good.
Cons
Tuition reimbursement is no longer offered
HVSH is still a great place to work
Operations support (Current Employee) –  Commerce, MINovember 18, 2015
Job security and advancement are not available right now. The people who work at the DMC are awesome, but the growing pains are hard pills to swallow.
Pros
Good people
Cons
No advancement oppertunities
Very educational learning environment
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MiAugust 19, 2015
Being given the opportunity to work with the Detroit Medical Center's summer internship was beneficial to me. It gave me insight on the medical system; not just dealing with patients but also the paperwork as well as hard work and dedication put forth by not only the physical therapists but the secretaries and other office workers as well.
Pros
$10 per hour pay; Diversity
Cons
30 minute lunch; no breaks; no paid off days
Remote Charge capture
Charge Capture clerk-Remote (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 30, 2015
Working remotely with little to no supervision. You are expected to complete 25-30 accounts an hour. The hardest part of my job is when system goes down. Will have to go to Hospital and go through paper charts to and then enter once system is restored.
I do miss seeing my E.D. friends.
Most enjoyable I don't have to drive long distance. Especially in the winter. Working from home there is less time traveling and more time working.
Pros
Not driving in winter.
Emergency Nursing is rough
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 15, 2015
I think emergency nursing is tough in general. I feel like we're expected to perform the job duties of 3 people in one job.. especially when it gets busy. It's rough, but worth it.
Nice people, but need to upgrade technology
Admin Employee (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 17, 2015
Technology upgrade needed when it comes to administrative tasks.

Would be able to save time and money if upgrades to software licenses were made.

Have to use vacation time instead of sick/personal time if you call in sick for one day and again the next.

The medical benefits are good, but only if you see a DMC doctor.
Pros
Downtown location
Cons
I don't feel like it's ok for me to take time off to go to the doctor or use vacation time.

4.2