Detroit Public Works Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Not Loyal
Paraprofessional, Trainable Aide (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 8, 2017
Does not respect handworkers and give employees hard time. Are not trust worthy and do bad things to people who speak up against wrong doings. I will never recommend this place!!!
look forward to teaching kids the joys of learning
Special Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 5, 2017
I learned to be patient and consistent with kids.While also preventing them from harming themselves and others.I learned to adjust to the needs of the kids and to teach only what the students were willing to learn.
Pros
Lots of half days and off days
Cons
Not a lot of room for advancement
Detroit Public Schools
Secretary - Comer Office (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 5, 2017
A typical day involved processing work for administrative staff. I have learned most of my administrative skills in this position. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning how to work in a professional environment
Work Review
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 30, 2017
Working for Detroit Public School was terrible I had 45 kids in one classroom.The kids were doing violating the student code of conduct and they were not being suspended. The work load required work outside the classroom such as writing lesson plans and attending professional developments. I was teaching all subjects and most of the time never even got a prep period to prepare for my lessons. Many days I could not even go to the restroom. I had to hold it. This job is the worst and I don't recommend no one to work for Detroit Public School. It is the lowest paying district in the world.
Pros
Cons
expensive healthcare, oversize classrooms, no preps, no bathroom breaks
Detroit Public Schools (DPS)
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 14, 2017
I enjoyed working with the students; primarily the kindergarten. It was a pleasure to watch first the transformation from the beg ining of the school year until the end.
detroit works
Visual Arts Teacher (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 9, 2017
I enjoyed working with this organization I had many responsibilities and duties. A typical work day starts with lots of reading AND PHONE CALLS. M co workers were challenging to say the least.
Pros
non
Cons
non
Fast paced learning enviromenet
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 7, 2017
My typical day at work assisting parent with their children opening of the office switchboard making copies. What I have learned is that we are a fast pace but accurate working environment. I have been with Detroit Public School Community District over 21 years with various school. There has been laid offs with every company; but the grace of God I always been able to stay a float. To me the most difficult is leaving great and awesome employees that you have met and begin to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning different aspect of the job.
Pros
Learning
Cons
Moving from school to school
A great way to connect and meet new people
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 7, 2017
i enjoyed working with the children and meet some really cool people. Some of the supervisors are really nice and efficient. Corporate offices are a total mess.
Fast-paced and challenging work environment.
Executive Director of Information Technology (CIO) (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 25, 2017
There is no typical day as urgent issues continuously changed scheduled activities. The culture changed every two years with new management goals and objectives. Annual reviews of staff were not executed as required.
Pros
Good benefits including paid time off
Cons
Continuous change in leadership, Never able to disconnect from work
Detroit Public Schools
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 17, 2017
I have no comment at this time.Although the children were excellent and a pleasure to work with over the years. I was glad to move onto a job where the environment was welcoming.
Pros
Off for the hoildays
Cons
Reduction in paid and pay increase
love it
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 22, 2017
good company to work for, Excellent benefits, job is very easy to understand. Very pleasant environment. Management is helpful and willing to coach you.
SECURITY GUARD (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIJune 15, 2017
I work the night shift this allows me to easily complete my work task. I able to secure the area and make sure that the employees and residents are safe. I have a good a relationship with management and I make sure I am compliant with company policies and procedures. I am able to complete all required paperwork in a timely manner.
nice place to work
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 21, 2017
Detroit Public Schools was a nice place to work because of advancement opportunities and the people. I also liked the environment most of the time and the benefits were fair.
I enjoy helping and teaching the kids.
Special Ed Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 16, 2017
Working for Detroit Public Schools has its advantages and disadvantages. The advantages are teaching and connecting with the kids to make a difference in their lives. It feels good to have students ten-years from now and come back to you and "say you helped them out". Watching the students struggle with problems or with writing hurts, but to see their eyes light up when you show them different methods of learning or different techniques of how to write or problem solve its shows that you as a teacher has accomplished your job.
Pros
job sercurity
Cons
having hoildays off
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MIApril 26, 2017
I worked for Romulus Community Schools for about 3 years as a substitute teacher. The entire experience was wonderful. The staff, the principals, the students and the community were helpful, concerned and involved. This was a great place to start my career.
Great School District to Work for
Band Director / Music Teacher (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 24, 2017
DPS offers a great working environment for staff where collaborative efforts are made to educate students to become college bound and productive citizens in today's society, as well as strong contributors for a brighter future for all.
Great company
Helpdesk IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 14, 2017
I learned much when I worked here, I had no information and tech experience, great benefits and employees were very knowledgeable, I enjoyed this job very much
Productive Work place
SCHOOL SERVICE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 20, 2017
A typical day at work consist of office work. I learned how to have patience from this job. Management was very pleasant, caring and helpful. Loved it
Work Setting
Administrative Assistant / Title (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 13, 2017
20 Plus years and out. After 20 years with DPS and the political environment I retired. I had experienced and learned many things, mainly because DPS believes in training their staff. The work setting was always applicable to the job and the administration though sometimes a challenge was workable to some degree or another.
Good employment
Custodian/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 6, 2017
Custodial work. I learned how to work with what I got. It's kind of fast paced. It's a very physically demanding job. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning how to operate the different machines and tools used in commercial cleaning.