Detroit Zoological Society Employee Reviews

Horrible
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIAugust 22, 2017
Long hours little pay I worked for SSA and Its sucks zero benefits. The assistant ROM doesn't do anything but takes credit for the work that others have done. He hired in a bunch of his dramatic friends who steal.Minors have terrible pay supervisors and leads make the same amount but do two different jobs.If you enjoy no benefits, terrible pay, terrible management, and no organization this is the job for you.
Pros
Nice guest
The Detroit Zoological society
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIJuly 6, 2017
The Detroit Zoological society had a great workplace culture. I enjoyed working there because I love animals. I took pride in making sure the zoo grounds were clean and free off trash and inappropriate behavior.
Pros
Being around animals
Fun and productive work place
Fundraising Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIOctober 17, 2016
A typical work day is busy and energetic but varies, you will not do the same thing everyday. My coworkers are amazing, hardworking and caring.
My second home
Park Safety (Current Employee) –  Royal OakOctober 13, 2016
As a Park Safety Officer at the Detroit Zoo, I have responsibilities and growth opportunities. Not only can I grow within the department, but in the zoo. For example, there are so many other departments that you can transfer to, as an intern or employee, if giving the opportunity. My responsibilities as a Park Safety Officer is insure the safety of guest, staff, and the animals. We are also first responders to medical and non-medical emergencies. Every officer is CPR, First Aid and ADE trained. During the busy seasons and during busy events, we have the opportunity to work alongside a trained medical professional. Most officers are also certified by LMBA (bicycle trained). We have the opportunity to earn certifications through FEMA and earn a CPO (Certified Protection Officer)license. These are only some of the skills we learn. Others are, responding to bomb threats, active shooters, weather emergencies, and knowing all the zoo’s polices. Management is great and easy to talk to. Most employees are great, but you always have the few bad apples. The best part about this job is working at the zoo. I love animals and with this job I’m able to go behind the scenes (safely), and also see the animals every time I come in to work, and making sure they stay safe. Park Safety is also a part of customer service. Dealing with guest issues, concerns, and safety is what most of our days consist of. The down side is the pay, but that isn’t up to our mangers. The “higher ups” delegates budgets.
Pros
Working in an enivornment with animals and connceting and helping guests
Cons
the pay
Love the zoo,poor employee appreciation
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIOctober 8, 2016
I love the zoo, but the management team there like to belittle the employee,especially grounds work. Also, the pay sucks,$8.50 and they want you to go above and beyond. Even if you make team lead you won't get you raise. They don't like outspoken women.
Pros
When you work there you meet some great people.Plus enjoyment of looking at animals.
Cons
Employees apperication
Fun workplace
Seasonal Sales Associate (Guest Relations) (Current Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIAugust 22, 2016
My work day usually consisted of a morning briefing at 8:30 am. The Zoo opened at 9 am sharp each day and from 9 am until 5:30 pm I would be taking and selling tickets to guests. Occasionally I would be moved to a different work location such as directing parking, special projects, or selling giraffe feed tickets. I really enjoyed the people that I worked with each day and being able to interact personally with guests to help them have the best time possible. One of the hardest things about my job was that the management team was not always on the same page, and some days I would not receive a lunch after working for 6+ hours.
Pros
Free entry, discounted food
Cons
Long work days with no breaks
Heres my summary
Park Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIApril 21, 2016
Very good place to work. I wish there was more opportunity to grow within the facility. Why are you making me write this? I need a job.
Very Fun and Educational
Park Safety Officer of Park Operations (Current Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIMarch 5, 2016
Been working with the Detroit Zoo for 9 years now. It's a very fun job and you will learn a lot from the staff and you will have the opportunity to experience new cultures.
review
Park Safety officer (Current Employee) –  Royal Oak, MI/ belle isle, detriot michiganJanuary 16, 2016
A typical day at work is starting my patrol either inside the park or at our satellite campus on belle isle, Detroit Michigan. my job is to ensure the safety of guest and staff/animals and to make sure that all rules are being followed safely, my job also includes responding to medical and emergency situations inside the park. I have been trained in almost all aspects of my job, starting with inside the park patrols, to being stationed at a stationary post to monitor who comes and goes into the service areas of the park. I have been trained to ride a bike with crowds in the park, patrols with a vehicle during and after hours of park. I have also been trained on how to handle medical and emergency situations. the hardest part of my job is when we get unruly guests who try to give a hard time to employees. and the enjoyable part of my job is interacting with guests and coworkers.
Pros
little supervision, guest interaction, watching animals interact in their exhibit
Cons
unruly guests, work hours can be strainious
Fun with tons of perks!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIOctober 19, 2015
Worked here seasonally, the job is wonderful. Really busy during the summer, especially weekends. They definitely make you feel like family there too, tons of opportunities for making friends and having fun. They have good benefits too, insurance, 401K, union opportunities, opportunities for overtime, and zoo perks. Can be stressful at times and you occasionally may have to work late for events but it's really worth it if you love being at the zoo and working with people.
Pros
Discounts, great benefits, opportunities for lots of hours, good environment
Cons
Sometimes working late, working weekends, seasonal job
Enjoyable experience
Environmental Stewardship Intern (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIOctober 15, 2015
I had a lot of fun over the two summers that I worked with the Detroit Zoo. The only issue to me which is not that big a deal to me for this job is that I wish we made the minimum wage which is $8.15. Other than that the job is awesome for a start off job as a teenager. You learn a lot of Job skills and do a lot of work that helps the environment. The supervisor is very nice and will help you to gain experience that can build up your resume.
Pros
Helps to give great experience and is fun in the process
Cons
Only pays $7.40 not min wage ($8.15)
Fun
Guest Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, MISeptember 17, 2015
Fun and nice co-workers, good hours, enjoyed being around the co-workers.
You tell them what you need and they help you get that.
Pros
free zoo
Cons
dirty booths
Listening, Relating, Accommodating and Creating a connection
Sales Associate/leader (Current Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIMarch 15, 2015
A typical day is something you never have at the Detroit zoo. Everyday is something new. Between events, fieldtrips, fundraiser walks, and the weather you never really know what to expect. I thoroughly enjoyed getting a chance to not only work with but interact with guest of every demographic. The excitement found within all individuals who were excited to learn and discover the world of animals is always captivating to see. Its crazy how similar we all are. Yet still each individual has their own needs and beliefs as to what was the experience expected within their visit. It was always interesting and for me and quite easy to find that thing that made them happy or what approach to take to upsell to them. There would be times a guest would want to refund their entire day, not because of just a poor customer service experience but because it wasn't what they thought it would be like that day. Maybe it was to hot, maybe it rained, or maybe they came in at the time the animals were sleeping or more stationary. Well since I haven't learned to control the weather ,or be a Dr. Dolittle I found it easy to find ways to accommodate and express new approaches to their day as well as understanding their concerns. Its always about finding a way to relate and finding what will make that experience worthwhile. As with any business its about making sure their experience is worth bragging about to other future customers as well as making them want to come back. Many if not most times this would be to the extent of no longer wanting a refund but to buy more. Memberships, rides, attractions,  more... merchandise and food. All about finding their needs and discovering a way to explain to them why they needed it. I took pride in my job, and creating an experience for the customer as well as a name for my employer.  less
Pros
Union based job security, Management that cared
Cons
no healthcare benefits and seasonal layoffs
Good work environment
Park Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIJanuary 15, 2015
Co-workers are easy to get along with.

Fun to see animals on day to day basis.

Management is easy going.

Work environment is laid back.
Pros
walk around freely, see animals
Cons
low wages, no advancement
A great place to work with children and the public and making sure children are safe.
security officer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MichiganJune 17, 2014
I love outdoors and working around children seeing that I'm a parents of five son's and one daughter and six grandchildren, I want people to have a great time and go home to there family safe...
And that would be my job!
Pros
seeing families enjoying themselves.
Cons
being responsible for any events that may have taken place wrongly
Fun workplace I enjoyed watching families have fun and enjoyment of nature life myself
Service System Associate (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIOctober 28, 2013
A typical day at work would be to prep and then cook food aside from that cleaning up the mess getting to standard protocol.
Educational and fun workplace
Guest Relations Associate (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIJuly 18, 2013
Start the day at 7am and end around 6pm if there was not a special event. Provide customer service to all guest. Control admission and chargers into the zoo and for Giraffe feedings. Assist with crowd control of 750 people or more. Assist with Giraffe feedings. Offer guests the option to rent strollers during their visit to the park. Respond to guest emergencies. I learned a lot about the animals working at the zoo. The employees and management were fun to work with and it was a great experince to work at The Detroit Zoo. I loved the expression on the childrens faces knowing they were going to have an wonderful time enjoying the animals during their visit.
Pros
Working with some of the animals. The one on one with the guests
Cons
Was a seasonal position
Very rewarding workplace!
Communications Internship (Current Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIApril 9, 2013
I loved interning with the Detroit Zoo. I learned many skills in communications that I can take with me. My writing improved dramatically from the first day. I was welcomed by all employees within the first week, it was sad to say goodbye. The hardest part of the job was having to edit documents so many times and not missing errors each time. After reading a document over more than a couple times, it becomes easy to miss mistakes, it was crucial to read closely. Overall, the Zoo was an amazing place to be and I loved my internship.
Sweep it under the rug
Park Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIJanuary 6, 2013
A typical day here I was greeted by the latest gossip first thing in the morning. I witnessed on more then one ocassion OSHA rules being disreguarded. I learned a few emergency response procedures that where thankfully never put into practice. The daily management I interacted with were childish and unprofessional, letting their opinions and slanderous comments be recorded by the new emergency system. Grounds employees were told that they were not allowed to take breaks on busy summer days and were not permitted to carry water bottles with them as it made them look unprofessional. Most co workers were decent to work with, the animal staff were always more then willing to teach co workers and the public on the animals in their care. The hardest part of the job was the fact I performed at the top but was not getting the hours I deserved and was promised, the pay was also unacceptable for someone with a college degree. The part I enjoyed the most was interacting with the public, and getting behind the scenes, learning and being up close and personal with the animals.
Pros
keeping public safe and educated
Cons
bad hours, unacceptable management.
Rewarding and interesting workplace.
Guest Relations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Royal Oak, MISeptember 4, 2012
My first task is to arrive at my work location on time. Once there making sure that area is clean of debris and that signs are clearly visible and clean. Depending on what postion your assigned to opening procedures include counting cash, cleaning attraction area and performing test runs on machinery. Daily responsibilities include giving information to guests, answering phones, operating machinery, cleaning equipment and assisting with crowd control. I've learned many skills from my experience working here such as public speaking, inventory and upselling products.

The hardest part of the job would be working in bad weather while dealing with large crowds of people in a short amount of time. The most enjoyable part of the job is working so close to wild animals you normally would not be able to see on a daily basis. Another advantage to working at such a popular place would be the ability to meet so many new people from around the world who choose to visit. Our work environment is very positive and entertaining. My co-workers are very close friends and we have created a very tight bond with each other.
Pros
working near wild animals and meeting new people. sometimes even celebrities
Cons
working in extreme weather conditions and work locations are long distances away.