Detroit Zoological Society Employee Reviews in United States

Heres my summary
Park Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIApril 21, 2016
Very good place to work. I wish there was more opportunity to grow within the facility. Why are you making me write this? I need a job.
Very Fun and Educational
Park Safety Officer of Park Operations (Current Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIMarch 5, 2016
Been working with the Detroit Zoo for 9 years now. It's a very fun job and you will learn a lot from the staff and you will have the opportunity to experience new cultures.
Fun with tons of perks!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIOctober 19, 2015
Worked here seasonally, the job is wonderful. Really busy during the summer, especially weekends. They definitely make you feel like family there too, tons of opportunities for making friends and having fun. They have good benefits too, insurance, 401K, union opportunities, opportunities for overtime, and zoo perks. Can be stressful at times and you occasionally may have to work late for events but it's really worth it if you love being at the zoo and working with people.
Pros
Discounts, great benefits, opportunities for lots of hours, good environment
Cons
Sometimes working late, working weekends, seasonal job
Enjoyable experience
Environmental Stewardship Intern (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIOctober 15, 2015
I had a lot of fun over the two summers that I worked with the Detroit Zoo. The only issue to me which is not that big a deal to me for this job is that I wish we made the minimum wage which is $8.15. Other than that the job is awesome for a start off job as a teenager. You learn a lot of Job skills and do a lot of work that helps the environment. The supervisor is very nice and will help you to gain experience that can build up your resume.
Pros
Helps to give great experience and is fun in the process
Cons
Only pays $7.40 not min wage ($8.15)
Fun
Guest Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, MISeptember 17, 2015
Fun and nice co-workers, good hours, enjoyed being around the co-workers.
You tell them what you need and they help you get that.
Pros
free zoo
Cons
dirty booths
Listening, Relating, Accommodating and Creating a connection
Sales Associate/leader (Current Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIMarch 15, 2015
A typical day is something you never have at the Detroit zoo. Everyday is something new. Between events, fieldtrips, fundraiser walks, and the weather you never really know what to expect. I thoroughly enjoyed getting a chance to not only work with but interact with guest of every demographic. The excitement found within all individuals who were excited to learn and discover the world of animals is always captivating to see. Its crazy how similar we all are. Yet still each individual has their own needs and beliefs as to what was the experience expected within their visit. It was always interesting and for me and quite easy to find that thing that made them happy or what approach to take to upsell to them. There would be times a guest would want to refund their entire day, not because of just a poor customer service experience but because it wasn't what they thought it would be like that day. Maybe it was to hot, maybe it rained, or maybe they came in at the time the animals were sleeping or more stationary. Well since I haven't learned to control the weather ,or be a Dr. Dolittle I found it easy to find ways to accommodate and express new approaches to their day as well as understanding their concerns. Its always about finding a way to relate and finding what will make that experience worthwhile. As with any business its about making sure their experience is worth bragging about to other future customers as well as making them want to come back. Many if not most times this would be to the extent of no longer wanting a refund but to buy more. Memberships, rides, attractions,  more... merchandise and food. All about finding their needs and discovering a way to explain to them why they needed it. I took pride in my job, and creating an experience for the customer as well as a name for my employer.  less
Pros
union based job security, management that cared
Cons
no healthcare benefits and seasonal layoffs
Good work environment
Park Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIJanuary 15, 2015
Co-workers are easy to get along with.

Fun to see animals on day to day basis.

Management is easy going.

Work environment is laid back.
Pros
walk around freely, see animals
Cons
low wages, no advancement
A great place to work with children and the public and making sure children are safe.
security officer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MichiganJune 17, 2014
I love outdoors and working around children seeing that I'm a parents of five son's and one daughter and six grandchildren, I want people to have a great time and go home to there family safe...
And that would be my job!
Pros
seeing families enjoying themselves.
Cons
being responsible for any events that may have taken place wrongly
Fun workplace I enjoyed watching families have fun and enjoyment of nature life myself
Service System Associate (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIOctober 28, 2013
A typical day at work would be to prep and then cook food aside from that cleaning up the mess getting to standard protocol.
Very rewarding workplace!
Communications Internship (Current Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIApril 9, 2013
I loved interning with the Detroit Zoo. I learned many skills in communications that I can take with me. My writing improved dramatically from the first day. I was welcomed by all employees within the first week, it was sad to say goodbye. The hardest part of the job was having to edit documents so many times and not missing errors each time. After reading a document over more than a couple times, it becomes easy to miss mistakes, it was crucial to read closely. Overall, the Zoo was an amazing place to be and I loved my internship.
Sweep it under the rug
Park Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIJanuary 6, 2013
A typical day here I was greeted by the latest gossip first thing in the morning. I witnessed on more then one ocassion OSHA rules being disreguarded. I learned a few emergency response procedures that where thankfully never put into practice. The daily management I interacted with were childish and unprofessional, letting their opinions and slanderous comments be recorded by the new emergency system. Grounds employees were told that they were not allowed to take breaks on busy summer days and were not permitted to carry water bottles with them as it made them look unprofessional. Most co workers were decent to work with, the animal staff were always more then willing to teach co workers and the public on the animals in their care. The hardest part of the job was the fact I performed at the top but was not getting the hours I deserved and was promised, the pay was also unacceptable for someone with a college degree. The part I enjoyed the most was interacting with the public, and getting behind the scenes, learning and being up close and personal with the animals.
Pros
keeping public safe and educated
Cons
bad hours, unacceptable management.
Rewarding and interesting workplace.
Guest Relations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Royal Oak, MISeptember 4, 2012
My first task is to arrive at my work location on time. Once there making sure that area is clean of debris and that signs are clearly visible and clean. Depending on what postion your assigned to opening procedures include counting cash, cleaning attraction area and performing test runs on machinery. Daily responsibilities include giving information to guests, answering phones, operating machinery, cleaning equipment and assisting with crowd control. I've learned many skills from my experience working here such as public speaking, inventory and upselling products.

The hardest part of the job would be working in bad weather while dealing with large crowds of people in a short amount of time. The most enjoyable part of the job is working so close to wild animals you normally would not be able to see on a daily basis. Another advantage to working at such a popular place would be the ability to meet so many new people from around the world who choose to visit. Our work environment is very positive and entertaining. My co-workers are very close friends and we have created a very tight bond with each other.
Pros
working near wild animals and meeting new people. sometimes even celebrities
Cons
working in extreme weather conditions and work locations are long distances away.
Camp Counselor / Camp Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIJuly 15, 2012
great experience, and work enjoyed working with the children in program
Bad place to work
EMPLOYEE (Former Employee) –  michiganJuly 10, 2012
Im a High school student and they cut my hours too after the college students got out of school. They put me on the schedule and then when i get there they tell me that I can go home because the weather is too hot and they dont need me. Or they text me 1/2 hour before im supposed to be there telling me not to come in.

One day i saw another kid leaving when i came in and he said they sent him home also, so they do this all the time... i dont think they understand that we count on this money and its not fair that they hire and schedule all these people and call off at the last minute. Its not fair.

I asked a college kid why he came back and he said because he could not find another job. They have a ton of employee turnover every year, so I was suspicious that they were not a good employer when I heard that
Pros
customers are fun
Cons
they dont pay you for your break even though you've been there 5 hours.
No need to apply here
Entry level job (Current Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIJuly 5, 2012
I am a high school student and they told my High school about a job fair. They needed seasonal workers starting from spring break and through he summer I got decent hours at first, but then the college students came back and the HS kids hours got cut and we have almost no hours. Thats not the worst. I drive to work and they tell me that they dont need me, claiming they text me, but they never did. They cancell hours all the time at the last minute, but this past weekend they cancelled my hours on both days without even calling me. I counted on this money for the summer and they dont even care about us.

And they make you pay for your own uniform and they charge you full retail price for the shirt AND coat. its expensive. And they make you pay for food every day at the concession stands - and the food is very bad and unhealthy . They take this money out of my pay check, so between having all this stuff taken out of my pay check AND paying for gas to drive to a job and they tell me they dont need me, im looking for another job and i would suggest "no need to apply here"
Pros
some nice people that work there
Cons
pay for own uniform (even first one), force you to pay for their bad food, call off work after you already are there, manager is very mean to employees
Fun place to work. GREAT people to work with.
Guest Relations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIMay 2, 2012
I loved everything about this job. I made wonderful, lifelong friends and had an excellent time doing it. Don't work here if you lack a sense of humor!
Pros
working outside, excellent coworkers, lots of exercise, the job was fun!
Cons
angry customers, people that don't read signs, bees.

2.9