Developmental Disabilities Institute Employee Reviews in United States

Fun work environment, I enjoyed working with the kids
Community Instructor (Current Employee) –  Huntington, NYMay 2, 2016
A typical day consist of teaching the kids everyday life skills that promote independence. I learned that patience and time is what is needed working in this field because everyone is able to learn something new wether they have a learning disability or not, some just may take more time than others. I feel that management could have been better and more professional. I enjoyed my co-workers thoroughly. The hardest part of the job is knowing that I am responsible for 6 individuals lives and play a major role in their development. What I enjoy most about working with DDI, is knowing that I am there for these individuals everyday in and out and they count on me for their everyday needs.
Easy job
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ronkonkoma, NYMay 8, 2016
I enjoyed playing sports and doing crafts in a daycare-like setting. I learned about how to manage a group of children while keeping them safe. My management and co-workers were awesome. The hardest part was that there was little shelter on hot days. Every other aspect of the job was rewarding.
Pros
Outdoors, Fun, Easy
Cons
Low wage, Little room for advancement.
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Calverton, NYApril 20, 2016
Took care of clients in their homes, assisted with ADL's, gave meds, took clients on outings, household duties, etc...
Learned how to care for the Disabled
Management & Co workers were great
Hardest part was when client became upset
Enjoyable part was helping the client
Pros
Great clients
Benefits
fun and professional place
Assistant Manager/Direct care counselor (Current Employee) –  Smithtown, NYMay 8, 2016
Good environment to work on... the mission and goal is clear for the purpose of this company.i recommend this company to anybody looking for employment. you can build a career here or it can be a great starter job.
Pros
good people
Cons
short breaks, down time
great staff and individuals
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYApril 20, 2016
this place is fun and easy to work at. but it is also very hard. some days are really rough bc you get physically hurt. you have to do your paperwork everyday. if you dont keep up, it will backfire on you
Pros
good job with benefits
Cons
some staff dont do their job
Great Workplace
Payroll Assistant (Current Employee) –  Smithtown, NYDecember 21, 2015
The people whom work here are always bubbly and happy to complete their task every day. A typical workday is writing employee verification letter, inputting earnings for payroll, doing excel spreadsheets, and much more. I learned how to use Albra and Empower programing software. Overall, great place to work.
Pros
learning new programing software
Cons
some slow days
It was a good place to work.
DSP (Former Employee) –  Riverhead, NYDecember 2, 2015
As a former employee I was happy with the company until they hired staff that didn't care, more on their cell phones than being with the individuals. Staff lied didn't care, came in hung over which was reported and nothing done. This is why I left what if this was your family member. Searching a site on the IPAD (looking for a date). I don't think the guys were searching for dates. REALLY!!!!!!!!
Pros
great health insureance
Cons
Not caring!!!!!!!!!! Stealing food from the guys, salary sinks
Great compassion, difficulty in maintaining a happy, positive, upbeat atmosphere in which to work.
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Smithtown, NYSeptember 26, 2015
This agency has great compassion for the individuals we serve everyday, however, there are many matters of policy and regulations overseeing the staff within, that are redundant, overbearing and create a hostile work environment through no fault of the direct support staff or residential managers.
Pros
Individuals served, co-workers, managers
Cons
Internal policies, micromanaging, internal regulations
Good place to work.
Community Instructor for Adult (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYDecember 4, 2015
Important work being done; supporting individuals with varying disabilities; the work is rewarding and dynamic. Management is often supportive, and responsive.
Pros
Helping disable individuals lead meaningful lives.
Cons
Commuting time.
Its a personal awarding job but that is really it.
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Ridge, NYSeptember 16, 2015
Its really great working with the special needs, but the company is very poor. Unorganized, poor management, payroll makes mistakes on checks all the time and poor staff appreciation. Great staff on the other hand.
Pros
Working with special needs
Cons
management, unorganized, no appreciation, little pay.
had fun working with children
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYAugust 28, 2015
this was an opportunity for growth for me working in the mental health field. I was able to work in a school that teaches children with autism how to appropriately deal with stressful and upsetting situations. Also teach them basic skills, like how to read better or write their name or even use a spoon correctly. it was a rewarding experience.
Pros
everything that i learned
Cons
It is a rewarding place to work .
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Nesconset, NYOctober 21, 2015
Having a chance to make a difference a difference in the individuals day is an experience all in itself and that is a reward all on its own. Putting a smile on there face and changing there day and making there day makes mine.
Being the change you want to see in the world
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntington, NYAugust 1, 2015
On a typical day I would assist students attending the Starting Early program by working with them to complete their IEP goals as well as implementing outlined behavior plans.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with multiple behaviors but the most enjoyable part was watching these children progress all thanks to your hard work and consistency.
Nice to work
Community Instructor (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYOctober 9, 2015
Nice to help take care of children and show them daily living skills. Have fun with the children. I enjoyed helping and teaching.
Pros
Everyone helps each other
Cons
children are very diffcult to handle at times.

Comment – March 24, 2016

The parents of our students are extremely grateful for the care give to our students. Thank you!

Great Place to work
HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYJuly 7, 2015
My typical day would start with conducting background checks that included fingerprinting for new employees for the NYS Division of Criminal Justice. I also provided letters of employment verification at employee's request and responsible to contact references furnished by potential candidates via telephone. Enjoyed working with previous employees, communication was great.
Teacher Assistant
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntington, NYSeptember 19, 2015
I perform student teacher responsibilities, sometimes being a 1 to 1 aide for a child with special needs. I also maintain classroom order and help/assist in any way possible. I was trained in DTT and ABA as well.
a very high intense atmosphere. yet very self rewarding by ability to help others in need
Instructor (Current Employee) –  riverheadMay 27, 2015
on any given day there are many behavioral issues that arise in the classroom setting. depending on the level of function capability the individuals can be very disruptive. so it is our responsibility to create safeguards to limit these behaviors as much as possible. the hardest part of the job is as you get to know the patients more you see how little there immediate family seldom sees them. the most enjoyable is showing them genuine care and concern for them.
Cons
the pay
Great place to start
Assistant Residential Manager (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYSeptember 14, 2015
I learned alot working with ddi. It can become very stressful and overwhelming at times. It taught me more patients then what I had when it comes to behaviors, how to handle situations with the individuals, and they do become like family to you. You teach them everyday living, speech, dressing themselves, toileting, eating at a pace and how to express what they want even when they can not speak. I loved working with the children at ddi. Hours and pay suck but if you applied yourself there always room for moving up with company, some staff was not about team work or helping others but when there is great staff on the shifts went smooth. Some people made it horrible to work because they complain about doing there job or when ask to do something they refused or complain. Some staff was very disrespectful to management. Training and support from office and staff could be better.
Pros
Teaches you patients, team players when applied, fun environment at times.
Cons
Hours suck, pay suck, no support from others, staff calling out not finding coverage, left management and house short.
Great learning experience!
Cook/Direct Care Professional (Current Employee) –  Smithtown, NYMay 21, 2015
The most important thing I learned from DDI is patience. I always thought working in the hospitality field and dealing with numerous customers on a daily basis gave me the ability to be patience with others. It wasn't until I started at DDI that I realized how to truly slow down and take each moment as it comes. Not only did DDI give me one of the greatest life lessons I have had the pleasure to work with amazing people from my individuals to my coworkers.

Everyday we do something new and exciting. As a mentor in my field i have taught new employees the perks of taking our guys out into the community, to live and teach a healthy life style, and to just enjoy the simple things.

The hardest part of my job was learning how to teach each individual. Trying to find that perfect way to explain something is very challenging.
Pros
Giving Back
Cons
Bad pay
Awful
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYMarch 12, 2015
I worked for them for all of 8 months. While I worked there, I was written up for doing my job, twice. BOTH times I was with my assigned child, trying to work on their programs and when the situation escalated to me being written up.
The management wouldn't/didn't care about my side of the stories and are FAR to rigid. One example is that you cannot leave the premises to get lunch if you forget yours, this happened to me once.