Developmental Disabilities Institute Employee Reviews

great place to work for
Accountant (Former Employee), Smithtown, NYJune 20, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: none
love my job, co-workers are friendly. flexibility and fun place to work for. I missed working for them. Still keep in touch with some people I worked with
Generally easy going if you have a little patience.
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee), Smithtown, NYJune 2, 2015
Pros: Helping people out, can eat the food at the house, not to difficult with a little patience
Cons: Can be extremely stressful sometimes
Worked with the mentally disabled in residential home, required to; dress them, help them use the bathroom, help them eat, and various activities.

Typical day; get them ready for morning program, drive – more... them there, pick them up in a couple hours when it finished. Then various activites would prepared for them to do in the house. At night they were showered and put to bed.

I learned to be grateful for the simple things in life such as the fact that i don't need anyone to help me get ready in the morning or to help me shower. I also developed a little more patience and self control as some times the patients seem to act out on purpose or do things to intentionally annoy you, but must remember they have a disability.

The managment and co-workers were very friendly and helpful. Also very understanding if you had to be late or miss a day.

Hardest part was just having self-control as some times the patients get violent and spit on you. You were only to restrain them if necessary, however very tempting to not all the time.

The experience itself was very enjoyable. The environment was great and from working with the patients everyday you connect with them and possess genuine happiness when you know they're doing better from your services. – less
a very high intense atmosphere. yet very self rewarding by ability to help others in need
Instructor (Current Employee), riverheadMay 27, 2015
Cons: the pay
on any given day there are many behavioral issues that arise in the classroom setting. depending on the level of function capability the individuals can be very disruptive. so it is our responsibility – more... to create safeguards to limit these behaviors as much as possible. the hardest part of the job is as you get to know the patients more you see how little there immediate family seldom sees them. the most enjoyable is showing them genuine care and concern for them. – less
Great learning experience!
Cook/Direct Care Professional (Current Employee), Smithtown, NYMay 21, 2015
Pros: Giving Back
Cons: Bad pay
The most important thing I learned from DDI is patience. I always thought working in the hospitality field and dealing with numerous customers on a daily basis gave me the ability to be patience with others. – more... It wasn't until I started at DDI that I realized how to truly slow down and take each moment as it comes. Not only did DDI give me one of the greatest life lessons I have had the pleasure to work with amazing people from my individuals to my coworkers.

Everyday we do something new and exciting. As a mentor in my field i have taught new employees the perks of taking our guys out into the community, to live and teach a healthy life style, and to just enjoy the simple things.

The hardest part of my job was learning how to teach each individual. Trying to find that perfect way to explain something is very challenging. – less
It's ok
Community Instructor (Current Employee), East Northport, NYMay 13, 2015
I work overnight so although my hours are typically ideal for a student that goes to school full-time, after a while it gets tiring.
productive and fun workplace
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee), Nesconset, NYMay 3, 2015
DDI is a very fun and productive workplace. I learned excellent interpersonal and patience from this career. The management is excellent.
Teacher Assistant
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee), Huntington, NYApril 23, 2015
I am a teacher assistant for Developmental Disabilities Institute and work alongside many other friendly staff as well as tend to a special-needs child and review their current treatment plans as well as individual goals.
fun and active workplace
Community Instructor (Former Employee), Huntington, NYApril 3, 2015
Pros: fun and active workplace
Cons: inconvenient work schedule
assist individuals with disabilities in day to day habits. Develop teaching techniques to promote positive learning with daily life skills.
Good entry level job
Direct Care Counselor (Current Employee), Huntington, NYMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Laid Back environment
Cons: Finding coverage, requesting days off, lack of communication
Overall the job is pretty good. Friendly staff and a very cleaning nurturing enviornment. There are various opportunity to move up depend on your career path.
Awful
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Smithtown, NYMarch 12, 2015
Pros: Nothing
Cons: Everything
I worked for them for all of 8 months. While I worked there, I was written up for doing my job, twice. BOTH times I was with my assigned child, trying to work on their programs and when the situation escalated – more... to me being written up.
The management wouldn't/didn't care about my side of the stories and are FAR to rigid. One example is that you cannot leave the premises to get lunch if you forget yours, this happened to me once. – less
Good job
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee), Copaigue , NYMarch 8, 2015
Good job. Worked with kids and great staff. Good job. Worked with kids and great staff. Good job. Worked with kids and great staff
management was not professional
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee), Smithtown, NYJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: great experience for nursing
Cons: management was unprofessional
I loved working with the autistic children at DDI. I stepped down from the company after I made a complaint that I felt I was becoming a target of reverse racism. My father suggested that I find a healthier environment to work in, one that is more conducive to success, and I took his advice.
Family run atmosphere in our division
Program Director (Former Employee), SmithtownJanuary 17, 2015
Loved working with this group of people. The Children's Residential Program had a unique and talented group of professionals supporting the 41 children and adolescents in a campus based setting. Each day – more... was a challenge but my staff were a wonderful group of dedicated individuals who put the lives of these children over their own personal lives. Although many have gone separate ways we are still close from our experiences together. – less
Productive and positive work envoriment. The house residents are so much fun.
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee), Smithtown, NYDecember 4, 2014
Pros: wonderful place to work. salary is decent.
Cons: the hiring process is too long.
Overall, I enjoy working for DDI. The staff is great and the individuals always keeps a smile on your face. Such a rewarding job.
Productive workplace, management needed some work
Employment Specialist (Current Employee), Smithtown, NYAugust 13, 2014
The hours were very appeasing for my personal life. I learned how to work better as a team player. I was able to show my creativity and leadership skills often. My co-workers were great. At times they – more... were competitive especially when going for higher positions, but overall great to work amongst. The hardest part of the job was management and the lack of communication between them and the staff. The most enjoyable part of the job was fulfilling the lives of the individuals that we provided services to. – less
Provides training to excel in your field of choice
Recreation Specialist (Current Employee), Smithtown, NYAugust 13, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: non-profit does not have a big budget for raises
I had the opportunity to work with incredible people. The environment emphasized dignity and repect for the individuals we served. We were offered trainings to improve our skills. I was given the confidence to try new and exciting activities with our clients.
DDI
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Huntington, NYJune 19, 2014
DDI can be a very difficult place to work in. The students we work with can be very difficult and demanding. However when the students even accomplish the simplest feet there is great joy felt.
Great agency to get started.
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee), Smithtown, NYJune 7, 2014
For someone new to working with Developmentally disabled adults, this agency is a good place to start. There is usually plenty of overtime so work your fill. I don't believe the agency is run very well do to frequent budget cuts, as well as frequently increased work loads, without proper compensation.
Gained a lot of Knowledge working here!
Substitute Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee), Huntington, NYMay 2, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: unpaid vacations
I learned a lot about working with Special Needs children! I was exposed to some great teaching techniques!
Fun & learning enviorment
Community Instructor (Former Employee), melvilleApril 3, 2014
Pros: helping others
I would wake my individual up shower him feed him take him to school pick him up feed him then go out in to the community and come home give him his meds and wait for him to go to sleep