Developmental Disabilities Institute Employee Reviews

No advancement
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Smithtown, NYFebruary 7, 2018
Low pay for a high risked job. Management is great, coworkers are amazing. Very stressful environment, but the individuals are amazing and deserve love, respect and lots of attention. Patience is key.
Pros
the individuals
Cons
the hours
Stressful and over worked
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYFebruary 7, 2018
Many of the staff are underpaid and overworked. Staff are not compensated for their time and effort. Management can be little to no help in time of need. There also is lack of staff creating unsafe work environments.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYJanuary 26, 2018
Staff is amazing and management is great
The training you receive is very beneficial and a great jump start to become a teacher in a district. The pay is not great though. The kids are life changing. They are beautiful souls who WILL change your life. The behaviors can be scary can turn people away but the good days are great and I miss them every day.
Pros
Kids, hours, co-workers, training, paid time off
Cons
Pay, have to work summers, student behaviors/risk of injury
Relaxed,slow-paced working environment
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYJanuary 8, 2018
Slow pace working environment that requires a great deal of patience and care taking abilities. Also must be able to teach, lead and coordinate small-to-large group outings. A typical work day was 10 hours and spent mainly in the house cleaning and helping individuals. The workplace culture is very laid back but can become very stressful during certain situations or time periods. Accountability. Accountability. Accountability. Must be responsible. Management is more MBO. Rarely any micro-managing. Hard to balance work and life on work days. Learned a lot about this community and myself on this job.
Pros
Mid-Day Break, Relaxed
Cons
Long Shifts, Underperforming Colleagues
Don't waste your time
DIRECT CARE COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Smithtown, NYJanuary 4, 2018
There is no advancement at DDI i worked here for 2 years looking to more up but have not yet. My manger only moves up people who she is friendly with and likes. The individuals are great! Staff constantly taking about each other, and new staff want to tell other staff what to do. I have no write ups or corrective actions or med errors. I've been in this field for 7 years and I cant move up because I'm not best friends with the manger. SMH. Even when i tried to transfer when they call and ask for a referral, from what I've been told shes telling them that I'm a bad worker so theirs no winning here so finding a new job is next on my list !
A job for fresh college students
Direct Support Counselor (Current Employee) –  Huntington, NYDecember 25, 2017
Not a place to work if you need money to pay bills. This place is good for college students who have support already and need money just to spend. Not an ideal job, and the management and staff are not good at all.
Very strict, stressful, and rewarding job
Behavioral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYDecember 14, 2017
Working in this company, was very stressful because you work with so many different kinds kids with mental disabilities and sometimes they’re very aggressive at times, but very rewarding to work with the residents.
Pros
Very good benefits
Cons
Respect and love for residents but not much for the employees
Unorganized & Careless
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYNovember 28, 2017
If you would like to pursue a degree in teaching - this is not the job for you. Very low hourly rate and no ways for advancement. Office culture is very poor. Management works off of feelings and not facts or science. Employees are careless. Would not recommend.
great
Children's Day Program- Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Huntington, NYNovember 18, 2017
I have been working at developmental disabilities institute for 3 years. Over these years I feel that I have learned an immense amount of information about working with students with various disabilities.
Great Experience
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntington, NYNovember 14, 2017
Challenging work environment with the children however the staff works together as a team. Teaching kids is more than just a career to me; it’s my passion. “Be the change you wish to see in the world” is one of my favorite quotes and has become my teaching philosophy. The expression on a child’s face when they learn something new, when they achieve something that they never have imagined achieving, showing them how proud I am is something that is priceless. This is an experience I received working at DDI
Pros
Children
Cons
I do not have my masters in Special Eduaction
Fun work place
Teachers Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntington, NYOctober 28, 2017
DDI is great for a entry level job and can learn a lot.
You are provided with lots of great training and work with amazing staff. The children are wonderful.
Abuse of clients was frequent
Overnight Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lake Grove, NYOctober 23, 2017
Due to the nature of the job, there was a significant amount of physical abuse towards the clients. Management was unaware and if one were to step forward to report abuse, they were labeled a "snitch." The hours were incredibly difficult to work (split shifts on the day shift, long hours on the overnight shift) and allow one to have a normal work / life balance.
Productive and fun workplace
Assistant Residential Manager (Current Employee) –  Smithtown, NYOctober 23, 2017
Typical day at work consists of getting consumers ready in the morning handling meds taking and picking up the consumers to their day-hab programs. Managers were great and I learned a lot from them. They were always willing to teach so I can learn new things. The consumers in my specific home made the job for me as they are all adults they tend to like the same things that the staff does which makes it easier for myself to address their wants and needs.
Pros
Consumers, Outings
Cons
Long Days, Split schedules
Great Support for the clients
Medicaid Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Huntington, NYSeptember 19, 2017
Supporting client in performing everyday activities ,placing them in programs with waiver services .making home visits .Asststing clients in finding employment and monitoring the clients in the work environment.
Pros
very good benifits famlies are involved the agency.
Cons
not enough staff
Managing a group home for 10 autistic adults is quite humbling and rewarding.
Manager, Assistant Manager, Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYSeptember 18, 2017
As a member of a team working with and for autistic adults in their home, you come to appreciate that everyone is different and contributes their own history and perspective to everyday living.
rewarding
Teacher Assistant in Day Facility (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYSeptember 12, 2017
i received great pleasure in helping people with disabilities. it was challenging at times, but the work was mentally and emotionally rewarding. i had completed my degrees and also had a desire to help students learn a variety of subjects in a school setting, so i changed careers-but i would like to return to the field someday.
Pros
metnally and emotionally rewarding
Cons
low pay
Loved what I did there but...
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ronkonkoma, NYAugust 24, 2017
I absolutely loved working with the children I had, but the whole experience was stress inducing. Barely anyone there was truly professional, no one seemed to care enough, and you weren't paid enough to deal with many of the things you dealt with...
Pros
The kids
Cons
Pay
Good Experience
Clinical Intern (Former Employee) –  Huntington, NYAugust 15, 2017
I enjoyed working here for the experience. I got to work with kids with a variety of disorders/disabilities, so it was a really good learning experience.
Awesome
Overnight Manager (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYAugust 10, 2017
Although I only worked for the organization for 1 month, they were AMAZING. I worked in the CRP & the director was amazing, she was extemely dedicated & was really hands on. I've never worked with children before, this was a first but they were amazing, unlike any group of kids I've ever had the pleasure to be around. I was hired as an overnight manager & that was quite the problem for me. I did all of my training in the day time & completely fell in love, however the overnight simply was not for me .. had there been an open position in the day time, I would have stayed with the organization. Great place to work & the staff are dedicated & the kids are great.
productive
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Central Islip, NYJuly 28, 2017
very stressful job requiring a lot of lifting and intervention. Sometimes the work could be a bit overwhelming. the staff could be a bit much at times
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Developmental Disabilities Institute. Our community is ready to answer.