Developmental Disabilities Institute

Developmental Disabilities Institute Employee Reviews

N/a
Communication Instructor (Current Employee) –  Smithtown, NYApril 10, 2017
Job can be fast pace at times, work is not too difficult, however it is not the place for me, I am looking for something to make into a career and this is not it.
Official response from Developmental Disabilities Institute
April 17, 2017

DDI has many opportunities for career advancement in the fields of Human Services and Special Education! You can learn more about how you can advance your career by stopping by our HR department or speaking to your manager! Have a great day!

learning experience
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYMarch 3, 2017
This was one of my first jobs as an assistant teacher working with the Developmentally Disabled this was the beginning of where I am today. the people working there were very helpful and understood I had never worked in this field before
Pros
great
Great Perks
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Huntington, NYFebruary 27, 2017
Good for advancement, Good with flexibility. If you are in school or have another job, this is the place for you. There is a lot of diversity her. However they don't pay me enough to deal with the behaviors that I have to put up with.
Pros
free schooling, a lot of OT
Cons
short breaks, a lot of hors
good place to work
Administrative Assistant to the Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYFebruary 6, 2017
DDI is a good place to work. You can start at entry level and work your way up pretty far in the agency. Many wonderful people work there.
benefits
Cons
tough work
Okay
DSP (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYJanuary 12, 2017
This place is a good place to work. Just be careful of the people you work with as some of them can be conniving little gossips that will stop at nothing to get you fired if they don't like you.
Sometimes stressful, almost always rewarding
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Smithtown, NYJanuary 10, 2017
Working with the developmental disable is a fun and rewarding job but it can also be stressful at the same time. The responsibilities far out weigh the amount you are paid, so you have to be there for all of the right reasons. One day you can be dealing with very difficult behaviors, up to and including aggression and the very next day you get paid to go to a concert or a special event with the clients. When you see the individuals we care for with a big smile on their face the pay does not matter that much.
Fun to learn new things
Nurses Aid (Former Employee) –  Montgomery City, MODecember 19, 2016
It can be hard to take care of the ones who has a disability depending on their mood that they are in. There is always an up or down moment working with a disability.
Pros
Understanding
Cons
How to handle a bad behavior without getting upset as well
Great company
Level 1 Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntington, NYDecember 12, 2016
Great school to work for and the staff are very compliant and welcoming!! I would love to work there again if it weren't so far from my home. I'd recommend working here.
Very nice place to work, kind people. Not much advancement.
AR-Revenue Specialist (Current Employee) –  Smithtown, NYNovember 21, 2016
Data entry, customer service, analysis.
New accounting and billing software.
Very knowledgeable.
Very nice co-workers.
Going to work every day.
The people.
Pros
Nice working environment
Cons
Not much advancement or wage increase.
Productive workplace
Community Instructor (Current Employee) –  Northport, NYOctober 20, 2016
I have been working at DDI for the past 3 years, and i learned a lot from management and from staff that came and eft, i developed a lot of skills, like my communication skills, my people skills, etc...
Demanding but extremely rewarding work
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Mount Sinai, NYSeptember 28, 2016
Dispense medication to clients, feed and clothe residents, transportation. Learned how to take care of those who cannot take care of themselves. Management was good and fair, reliable and good communication. Co workers were friendly and easy to work with, happy to help another DDI employee if needed. Hardest part of the job was trying to stay professional and not get overly attached to residents. Most enjoyable part of the job was the rewarding feeling you received from helping another human being.
Pros
Great health benefits, friendly staff and management
Cons
Emotionally demanding, hours could be better
Great workplace with Team work as an objective to improving the lives of others
Direct Care Counselor (Current Employee) –  Ridge, NYSeptember 2, 2016
Very professional workplace where we help to improve the lives of individuals with autism
its about being advocate a voice for people in this environment
I do love my job because everyday I am helping someone
Pros
they recognize our hard work
Cons
horrible pay..and health benefits
Had issues with the way clients were treated
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYAugust 20, 2016
The companies management did not treat the employees well and the clients were treated very badly, many times I put in abuse of the clients and every time the allegations came back unfounded when I actually saw the abuse, paperwork like ADLs, and goals met or not met were falsified, there were some employees who were good but most were not, At one point 176 narcs came up missing and the person who stole them and sold them still works there and a person who did nothing wrong was accused and terminated, I was very unhappy with this company and decided to leave.
Pros
Benefits were decent
Cons
management was not good and the clients were treated badly
Very busy, high energy place to work.
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Smithtown, NYAugust 16, 2016
The day is always exciting, stressful, and busy. The work day begins and continues, never a dull moment. Constant turn over at the day habilitation programs for direct support.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Very stressful
Ddi
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Nesconset, NYMay 20, 2016
Good place to gain experience in this field and educate yourself about this population if are not familar with this population
Easy job
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ronkonkoma, NYMay 8, 2016
I enjoyed playing sports and doing crafts in a daycare-like setting. I learned about how to manage a group of children while keeping them safe. My management and co-workers were awesome. The hardest part was that there was little shelter on hot days. Every other aspect of the job was rewarding.
Pros
Outdoors, Fun, Easy
Cons
Low wage, Little room for advancement.
fun and professional place
Assistant Manager/Direct care counselor (Current Employee) –  Smithtown, NYMay 8, 2016
Good environment to work on... the mission and goal is clear for the purpose of this company.i recommend this company to anybody looking for employment. you can build a career here or it can be a great starter job.
Pros
good people
Cons
short breaks, down time
Fun work environment, I enjoyed working with the kids
Community Instructor (Current Employee) –  Huntington, NYMay 2, 2016
A typical day consist of teaching the kids everyday life skills that promote independence. I learned that patience and time is what is needed working in this field because everyone is able to learn something new wether they have a learning disability or not, some just may take more time than others. I feel that management could have been better and more professional. I enjoyed my co-workers thoroughly. The hardest part of the job is knowing that I am responsible for 6 individuals lives and play a major role in their development. What I enjoy most about working with DDI, is knowing that I am there for these individuals everyday in and out and they count on me for their everyday needs.
great staff and individuals
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYApril 20, 2016
this place is fun and easy to work at. but it is also very hard. some days are really rough bc you get physically hurt. you have to do your paperwork everyday. if you dont keep up, it will backfire on you
Pros
good job with benefits
Cons
some staff dont do their job
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Calverton, NYApril 20, 2016
Took care of clients in their homes, assisted with ADL's, gave meds, took clients on outings, household duties, etc...
Learned how to care for the Disabled
Management & Co workers were great
Hardest part was when client became upset
Enjoyable part was helping the client
Pros
Great clients
Benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Developmental Disabilities Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

Developmental Disabilities Institute Reviews by Location