Developmental Disabilities Institute

Developmental Disabilities Institute Employer Reviews

Great agency to get started.
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee), Smithtown, NYJune 7, 2014
For someone new to working with Developmentally disabled adults, this agency is a good place to start. There is usually plenty of overtime so work your fill. I don't believe the agency is run very well do to frequent budget cuts, as well as frequently increased work loads, without proper compensation.
Gained a lot of Knowledge working here!
Substitute Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee), Huntington, NYMay 2, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: unpaid vacations
I learned a lot about working with Special Needs children! I was exposed to some great teaching techniques!
Fun & learning enviorment
Community Instructor (Former Employee), melvilleApril 3, 2014
Pros: helping others
I would wake my individual up shower him feed him take him to school pick him up feed him then go out in to the community and come home give him his meds and wait for him to go to sleep
Their priority is dignity and respect for all
Clerk/Receptionist (Current Employee), Smithtown, NYMarch 30, 2014
Pros: benefits, career opportunities
Cons: salaries are low.
DDI is challenging. Their main concern is everyone's safety,and always having respect for their individuals and employees. Their main emphasis is on education, recertification and making sure employees are always knowledgeable. Updating and making changes for the better are essential in keeping up with today's challenges and this is what DDI is all – more... about. An employee learns and develops fully. – less
Autistic Kids you'll just love
Community Instructor (Current Employee), Smithtown, NYMarch 18, 2014
Working here, you build such a rapport with these individuals they become more than just the people you take care of, I became an advocate. Their intelligence is something that can not be measured by just the way they look, speak with them, talk to them and you'll see just how special, and smart these consumers are.
Great atmosphere if you love working with children
Certified Level III Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Medford, NYFebruary 27, 2014
working with children with autism and being part of their accomplishments
Great company and paid well
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Selden, NYJanuary 2, 2014
While working at this Company I learned a lot. I became very responsible and enjoyed working for this great company for 3.5 years
not bad
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Sayville, NYDecember 13, 2013
A very challenging job field , if looking for a challenge it's for you.
fun place to work with great co workers
direct support profesional (Former Employee), ridge, NYOctober 1, 2013
I loved working for the company and as long as u applied your self there is always room for advancement
Great working with the Developmentally Disabled and Autistic Population
RN (Current Employee), Quality AssuranceSeptember 7, 2013
Enjoy working with adults and children with Developmental Disabilities and Autism
IT really depends on staff and mangers you work with..
DSP (Former Employee), Smithtown, NYJune 28, 2013
The clients that you work with can have severe Behaviors. What you get paid and the amount of work you put into it can be unbalanced. IT is a good way to introduce your self onto the developmentally disabled field,
Really an enjoyable place to work
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Smithtown, NYJune 5, 2013
Pros: four hour break, split shift
Cons: health care
A typical day would be, comming in the morning, getting our individuals up and showered, then get them dressed, feed them breakfast, talk and laugh, put them on the van and take them to program. Come back, make and clean bedrooms. Get things ready for when they come home. Help our guys work on their goals, deal with any behaviors, log in book all data, – more... such as eating,listeing etc. Take our guys on outings. Then night time routine.

What I learned was being AMAP Certified, Skp Certified, CPR and First Aid certified.

Management always willing to work with everyone.

Spending time with our guys. Eating dinner and watching TV with them. – less
Job
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Smithtown, NYMay 20, 2013
Work. Similar to other jobs. Working with the MRDD population. Better than working at other agencies.
A good place to start with caring for individuals
Community Instructor (Former Employee), Smithtown, NYMarch 21, 2013
The hardest part of the job was dealing with the behaviors of the disabled. My co workers were great. Team players for sure.
Great Experience
Shift Supervisor/ Community Instructor (Current Employee), Smithtown, NYFebruary 27, 2013
I've had a great experience working at DDI. I am looking for advancement and a different experience. The workload is not bad but the hours can be demanding and make it hard to have a personal life.
It was a friendly environment
Program Manager/Revenue Support Specialist (Former Employee), Lake Grove/SmithtownDecember 30, 2012
Pros: working for the individuals
Cons: limited room for growth
A typical day at DDI was a busy day. I worked for the revenue department and everyday was a learning experience. There was always an interesting challenge. After careful research and persistance we got the needs of the individuals met.
A lot of hard work but well worth it.
Developmental Aide (Former Employee), Smithtown, NYSeptember 12, 2012
The most enjoyable part of the job is dealing with the individuals I cared for and assisting them. This job taught me a lot about people and life.
Good place to start
Community Instructor (Current Employee), Selden, NYAugust 10, 2012
Pros: great health benefits
Cons: far distance to travel
DDI allows you to lay the ground work for day to day interactions with people of all back grounds; mental and behavioral capacities, culture, mothers, fathers, brothers as well as other medical professionals.

Typical day at work includes following up on what the last shift did so you could finish up or continue something else; making sure medication – more... cabinets are stocked for the week and locked, and turning over medication logs, behavioral charts and other notes related to clients when need be. – less
Morally gratifying
Worker (Current Employee), New YorkJuly 30, 2012
Good benefits/compensation, management varies, low paying, high employee turnover, great hours.
Good school, Bad Management
Field Technician (Former Employee), Smithtown, NYJuly 30, 2012
Pros: fixing computers to help teachers with autistic students.
Cons: no advancement, uncomfortable work environment
It wasn't a great work environment to work in. Bad management.