Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health Employee Reviews

Outpatiet Services are self motivated
Behavior Coach (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 21, 2016
Management for out patient services are self motivated and while expressing empathy verbally do not show it. Words only no action. Great program but VERY big employee turn over rate. It's a job but not a place to call your forever job.
absolutely awful
Residential Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Red Hook, NYSeptember 14, 2016
No staff, low pay, awful management, can't get days off due to lack of staff because they fire everybody, treats employees terribly and no compassion for employees.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
treats employees terribly, lack of staff
not a fan of devereux
Direct Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Rutland, MASeptember 9, 2016
I don't even know where to begin. I'm an on call staff and it seems like everyone is an on call staff, and when you're on call you can basically get away with anything like, not showing up to work, calling out, not getting mandated etc. Unfortunately for the very few full time workers that means working longer than expected, dealing with disrespectful management, and constantly getting abused by the students. No one is safe, they fire people before they can even find their replacement. I also hated when they switched my unit. There are certain units I purposely make sure I do not pick up shifts for, just to avoid feeling uncomfortable and unsafe. Management will trick you into thinking they put you on for the unit you picked up a shift for and then when you show up they'll tell you to go to the unit that you hate because no one wants to work there, and its either you take it or get fired. Fortunate for me I was in school and only worked overnights, but I've seen and heard a lot of stories. I do not work there anymore and I will never go back. Oh yea I forgot you barely get any breaks. Especially working the overnight. Overnight shifts are ten hours long and they only offer 15 minute breaks and that's it. What the is 15 minutes going to do? and after 8 hours a day aren't you suppose to get overtime? Well at Devereux you don't. The pay is horrible especially for what the kids put staff through on a daily basis. It's not worth it. I make more at my new Job as an assistant and I barely do difficult task or have kids hitting and insulting me for fun.
Pros
My on call position
Cons
Management. Unstable working conditions
Excellent Benefits
Behavior Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLSeptember 8, 2016
Great families and children in programs. Office structure can be challenging at times. Training inconsistent across sites.
Pros
Benefits are pretty good
Cons
Low pay, No holidays off even for office staff.
not good with new workers
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Danville, PASeptember 7, 2016
the workers are rude and mean the boss does nothing to help belittles you they are not good to work for didnt like the place or bosses
DSP-Howell,NJ June2016
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Howell, NJSeptember 2, 2016
The clients are difficult, behaviors ranging from, hitting, spitting, yelling, and bitting you, deficating, and urining on themselves . So be prepared to do a lot of cleaning up, for me that's the least. The staff I found had a haughty disposition, and were down right disrespectful. If you imagine you will be spoken to in the best Corporate American phone voice think again. More like housewives of anywhere, or seedy back alley speech. Ps I have yet to hear supervisor say anything about that either. If those 3 things don't bother you apply now.
Pros
Free dinner
Cons
Schedule, disrespect
Work at Devereux
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PAAugust 23, 2016
There is never a typical day at Devereux. There is always something going on since i work with artistic children. Working with artistic children help builds your character. One great thing about Devereux is that by working there you truly began and understand how to use patients' and also how to brake things down for people to understand to a T.
Pros
leaning patients
Cons
Having to restrain children
Great Part-Time Job
Mobile Therapist (Current Employee) –  Wayne, PAAugust 23, 2016
This position has really taught me a lot and I enjoy my time working with my clients. Utilizing skills that meet the clients' needs are essential and the client making progress is rewarding. Great part-time job with flexibility. Collaborates well when still attending college and having children.
Rewarding job
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Red Hook, NYAugust 17, 2016
The overall job is very rewarding. It can be a stressful environment but being able to see the individuals grow and make progress makes all the punches, hair pulls, and bites feel worth it.
Management is ok. They're always short staffed which can interfere with safety a lot. The management higher up is ridiculous. They have absolutely no right to be in charge of what happens because they wouldn't last 5 minutes actually working in the field.
The hours and benefits are nice. The only thing that is undesirable is working holidays but you adjust. Pay is lower than it should be but you do get raises and a bonus in the summer.
The environment with coworkers is pathetic. It's high school but even worse. Everyone is in everyone else's business and has nothing better to do than cause problems and drama. There are a lot of cliques. I've seen many people come in and leave too quickly because of the petty nonsense of jealous female workers.
However, you can also form really tight, close bonds with some coworkers. You learn who to trust, although it is not many people there.
Pros
Free lunches, great benefits, good hours, rewarding experience, union
Cons
Drama, working holidays, pay, no support from higher ups
unsafe environment
ALDCP (Former Employee) –  Cape Coral, FLAugust 15, 2016
upper management needs to pay more attention o the house and to its employees concerns about safety and structure. Staff needs to be better trained to care for the clients that come into the home.
Pros
working with the clients
Cons
security of the workers
Great experience with low wages
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Westminster, COAugust 5, 2016
I began working at Devereux in direct care. While I gained a lot of experience through working with clients, the cons outweigh the pros. Because it is a nonprofit, wages are awful and do not reflect the type of work you do. You work long hours, and often work into over time each shift. A lot of times, campus can be really unsafe, which causes staff to put their health and well-being on the line. I have been assaulted numerous times, and was sent to awful workers compensation doctors that did not know what they were talking about. The one awesome thing is that all the direc care staff are a tight knit group, and are very supportive. Without them, I wouldn't have lasted as long as I did. I have moved into an administrative role, and while the pay still sucks, I'm still getting a lot of experience while not being in danger every day.
Pros
Coworkers, free meals, experience
Cons
Pay, management, health, hours
Busy
Direct Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Rutland, MAAugust 5, 2016
Devereux is a great learning experience if one has an interest in behavioral health. It is a very intense work place. Also, it is not a restraint free organization.
learning experience
Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cumberland County, NJAugust 2, 2016
they gave me a new outlook on my life and career goals. I have learned alot from the managers i have worked under. I wish i could have progressed in the company but it was not in the time frame needed.
Pros
could make my own hours
Cons
always on call
Lazy co-workers
special (Current Employee) –  south JerseyAugust 2, 2016
coworkers outside smoking or on there cell phones. the clients are made to do coworkers jobs or made to sit for 8 hours. managers lie about workers signing up for work. its horrible. computers where you have to clock in never work. theirs never a full meal for the clients. sit down sit down sit down. why do they have to sit down all the time? its supposed to be there house!!!! all the specials are hated because they take away overtime for full timers!!! and the full timers tell you this!!!! house managers only like staff that fills hours. they can sleep all night ,,,never talk to clients nothing as long as theirs a body there. if the parents of the clients REALLY knew what this company did they would pull there grown autistic children out of there today!!!! spiteful house managers and liars.
Pros
Cons
hundreds
Good
Barista and Special Event Caterer (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COJuly 28, 2016
I was a worker as a client not a staff i manly just helped in the kitchen and coffee shop. I did like the work place. I learned a few things that i never knew how to do!
Pros
Free Meals, Free Drinks
Cons
Little Pay
Lots of change at management level
Family Support Counselor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 27, 2016
Interesting job but poor work life balance and compensation. Lots of change at management level. Co-workers are wonderful but wish management was more accessible.
Interesting Work
Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJuly 21, 2016
I love the work I do, I enjoy working with the clients. But some of the managers could use some training in professionalism. The pay is terrible. I looked up how much DSP's were making at kelsch and I found that their pay rate for FT is nine cent less then what a Program Supervisor makes at Devereux . Did I mention there's tons and tons and tons of paperwork! No worthy appreciation is given to the Supervisors or the staff. The pay scale is the same for both night staff , full time staff, Pt staff and subs...This company has the potential to be great if they would bother to care about the people who are charged with taking care of the money (clients). The turn over rate is horrible and probably due to the low pay rate. If you're looking to gain some experience accomapanied with low pay ,then this is the place for you. If you're looking to make a difference despite the low pay rate then this is the place for you.
Pros
Flexible schedule, fast paced, working with the clients
Cons
Too much paperwork, low pay, no incentives
Welcoming and loving workplace
Therapeutic Staff Support (TSS) (Current Employee) –  Downingtown, PAJuly 17, 2016
Teamwork, the employees are very concern about the well being of the children. The company shows appreciation to the employees, its a nice environment to work in.
It's a good place to work.
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 13, 2016
People who work there are great, willing to help with anything they can, very friendly. I basically am the IT dept. except for some network people who work from home. I work for Devereux Arizona whereas the network folks work for Devereux Corporate located in Pennsylvania. They are there for anything I need though. During a typical day I do some imaging of laptops, desktops, support for local printers. Maintain the inventory, also in charge of creating FOBs for new employees access to the Sweetwater campus and also maintain the surveillance cameras throughout the campus.
Pros
You can have breakfast and lunch there.
Cons
Break in period for new employees, didn't really show me how to do anything including logging in my time properly.
Dcw
Activities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COJuly 5, 2016
Difficult clientele but positive co-workers. Facility with 100+ residents which makes job difficult when working in building by yourself.

2.9