Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health Employee Reviews

Poor management, no training or support.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLNovember 7, 2016
Devereux Winter Haven is the least effective company I have ever been in contact with. I worked there four months until I could know longer take the lack of supervision and the effect of improper training. A typical day lasted 12-13 hours with a fly by drive threw lunch. I learned that case management is a tough job. Loved my coworkers even though they were over worked as well. The hardest part of the job was never feeling like you had completed a job well. The most enjoyable part of the job was spending time with the little ones.
Pros
Office close to home
Cons
No support, poor management
Tough but rewarding job
Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZNovember 1, 2016
Tough but rewarding job with at risk and developmentally challenged children. Schedule hours can be rough with no consideration for personal needs.Follows state work laws to the letter.
Pros
Helping young adults become, productive members of society
Cons
Usually understaffed for work required.
For the kids
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAOctober 27, 2016
This place is a great place if you love to work with children. The biggest pro of working here is the impact you can have in a child's life. That being said, the management does not value the employees. You are overworked, underpaid, and undertrained. Supervisors are always on call and forced to stay for double shifts regularly. Majority of the concern is to save money, often times neglecting the children. Children are often left without hygiene supplies due to management not wanting to purchase them but every three months.
Pros
Teamwork, working with children
Cons
no personal life balance, underpaid, not appreciated.
productive work enviroment
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Township of Deptford, NJOctober 24, 2016
assisting consumer's with incapacities everyday helps you to appreciate life a lot more. Take your time caring for the consumers and helping them to become more independent on basic skills
Would work there again
Therapeutic Staff Support (Former Employee) –  Wayne, PAOctober 24, 2016
I worked at devereux full time for 8 months but had to move states due to family matters. It was a great company that allowed a lot of freedoms and I would work there again in a heartbeat.
Intense work place.
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PAOctober 18, 2016
Okay, places to work. However, management is bad in my opinion. Scheduling, communication between management and staff in horrible. Shift will be cancel and you will not get a call to let you know.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No brakes
Provided additional training opportunities to increase knowledge and skills in mental health
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAOctober 18, 2016
Devereux provides a supportive atmosphere to work in. Co-workers and supervisors were friendly and approachable. Great benefits and supportive professionals.
Pros
Health Care Benefits
Cons
salary
Fancy title babysitter
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAOctober 12, 2016
What to expect
You will start an extensive training course , with a lot of information to take in a two week span. During this training you will basically be learning what will get you fired. I.e. Just about everything.

You will start a class with about 20 people by the second week you will have 10. Out of the 10 after shadowing you will probably have 5. Out of that 5 that survived training , only 3 will remain after that first week. Before your 90 days are up 9 times out of 10 . You will be the lone survivor.

Why people leave
Stressful work environment , you're constantly staring down the barrel of the gun and walking on egg shells.

Which is quite understandable since you are working with kids....but then you ask yourself is the money really worth it.... depends on your situation. Side note most staff who are here have a second full time job.

Now the trick here to making good money i.e. What you would make working one normal job that demands half of the stress . The answer is OVERTIME 16 hr shifts, MANDATED I might add. Due to the lack of an adequate amount of staff and poor management. After that 40 hrs you will then be working for the money you deserve in the first place.

To beat this system you must be steadily looking for another job and not have accepted what you will become staying here.

No ones happy working with the clients my guess underpaid , overworked, the lack of structure of the entire facility, and the lack of leadership from the hierarchy here.

If you make it past the 3 month mark congratulations you've accepted the fact you
  more... are trapped on this island. Good luck.  less
Pros
Benefits, Nice campus
Cons
To many to list
positive work environment
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  New York StateOctober 9, 2016
I truly enjoyed my time at Devereux NY. They were an exceptional employer. There was a feeling of being appreciated and chances for advancement. I enjoyed a very positive work experience for almost 14 years and left only because I moved out of state with my family.
Great experience
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAOctober 5, 2016
I work for this company for almost two years. They have numerous sites and positions for whichever career you pursue. Only downside is the commute from Philadelphia.
Outpatiet Services are self motivated
Behavior Coach (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 21, 2016
Management for out patient services are self motivated and while expressing empathy verbally do not show it. Words only no action. Great program but VERY big employee turn over rate. It's a job but not a place to call your forever job.
absolutely awful
Residential Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Red Hook, NYSeptember 14, 2016
No staff, low pay, awful management, can't get days off due to lack of staff because they fire everybody, treats employees terribly and no compassion for employees.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
treats employees terribly, lack of staff
Varied schedules and responsibilities, working to improve individual's quality of life
CSP/CRT (Current Employee) –  Strafford, PASeptember 13, 2016
There was not necessarily a typical day at work because the cases that I have been assigned to have varied so much based on the support I was given by the supposed team I was working with, as well as the goals and capabilities of the individuals with which I have worked. Some typical goals that my individuals may have worked on included: fitness, house hold chores, cooking skills, budgeting skills, socialization, communication, hygiene maintenance, appropriate management of emotions, etc. I learned many things from every case that I worked on. I learned to think quickly in order to solve problems and be proactive. I learned to interact positively with individuals who function and express themselves in different ways than I do or than what might be considered "normal" and appreciate the strengths and uniqueness of each person that I worked with. I learned how to advocate for my clients and I learned that I cannot make everything perfect. I learned how to be flexible, giving, but also the importance of setting boundaries. Most of my coworkers have been pleasures to interact with, but some have come across as uncaring, distant, or disdainful to the individuals that they work with. In recent years there has been turn over in all levels of the company, including the loss of the head of our program whom I had learned to rely on as a mentor and supervisor, especially in times of crisis. Now case managers are coming and going that they barely work long enough to even understand the job they are supposed to be doing. Behavioral specialist are sometimes involved, sometimes not, sometimes  more... leave the case and don't get replaced. Sometimes you are sent in blind and with absolutely no support from the agency. This was the most challenging part of the job, although not the hardest. The hardest part was dealing with parents who seemed to stand in the way of their grown children's progress. Routine is important for individuals on the autism spectrum, but if things become too routine it becomes monotonous. My favorite part of the job has been the relationships that I developed and the wonderful individuals I have met along the way. Another favorite part of the job is when I can see someone progressing on the goals that they are working towards and when I know that I am doing something to positively impact another person. I also loved the variety of each day in my week. I loved the flexibility of the job, despite the lack of security, as well as the opportunities that I was given as a contractor to be a part of a team, and have my opinions heard, my experiences and interactions with my individuals incorporated into the plans which we would work on.  less
Pros
Flexibility, Variety of hours and individuals to work with
Cons
No benefits, No guaranteed hours, No security
not a fan of devereux
Direct Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Rutland, MASeptember 9, 2016
I don't even know where to begin. I'm an on call staff and it seems like everyone is an on call staff, and when you're on call you can basically get away with anything like, not showing up to work, calling out, not getting mandated etc. Unfortunately for the very few full time workers that means working longer than expected, dealing with disrespectful management, and constantly getting abused by the students. No one is safe, they fire people before they can even find their replacement. I also hated when they switched my unit. There are certain units I purposely make sure I do not pick up shifts for, just to avoid feeling uncomfortable and unsafe. Management will trick you into thinking they put you on for the unit you picked up a shift for and then when you show up they'll tell you to go to the unit that you hate because no one wants to work there, and its either you take it or get fired. Fortunate for me I was in school and only worked overnights, but I've seen and heard a lot of stories. I do not work there anymore and I will never go back. Oh yea I forgot you barely get any breaks. Especially working the overnight. Overnight shifts are ten hours long and they only offer 15 minute breaks and that's it. What the is 15 minutes going to do? and after 8 hours a day aren't you suppose to get overtime? Well at Devereux you don't. The pay is horrible especially for what the kids put staff through on a daily basis. It's not worth it. I make more at my new Job as an assistant and I barely do difficult task or have kids hitting and insulting me for fun.
Pros
My on call position
Cons
Management. Unstable working conditions
Excellent Benefits
Behavior Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLSeptember 8, 2016
Great families and children in programs. Office structure can be challenging at times. Training inconsistent across sites.
Pros
Benefits are pretty good
Cons
Low pay, No holidays off even for office staff.
not good with new workers
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Danville, PASeptember 7, 2016
the workers are rude and mean the boss does nothing to help belittles you they are not good to work for didnt like the place or bosses
DSP-Howell,NJ June2016
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Howell, NJSeptember 2, 2016
The clients are difficult, behaviors ranging from, hitting, spitting, yelling, and bitting you, deficating, and urining on themselves . So be prepared to do a lot of cleaning up, for me that's the least. The staff I found had a haughty disposition, and were down right disrespectful. If you imagine you will be spoken to in the best Corporate American phone voice think again. More like housewives of anywhere, or seedy back alley speech. Ps I have yet to hear supervisor say anything about that either. If those 3 things don't bother you apply now.
Pros
Free dinner
Cons
Schedule, disrespect
Work at Devereux
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PAAugust 23, 2016
There is never a typical day at Devereux. There is always something going on since i work with artistic children. Working with artistic children help builds your character. One great thing about Devereux is that by working there you truly began and understand how to use patients' and also how to brake things down for people to understand to a T.
Pros
leaning patients
Cons
Having to restrain children
Great Part-Time Job
Mobile Therapist (Current Employee) –  Wayne, PAAugust 23, 2016
This position has really taught me a lot and I enjoy my time working with my clients. Utilizing skills that meet the clients' needs are essential and the client making progress is rewarding. Great part-time job with flexibility. Collaborates well when still attending college and having children.
Rewarding job
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Red Hook, NYAugust 17, 2016
The overall job is very rewarding. It can be a stressful environment but being able to see the individuals grow and make progress makes all the punches, hair pulls, and bites feel worth it.
Management is ok. They're always short staffed which can interfere with safety a lot. The management higher up is ridiculous. They have absolutely no right to be in charge of what happens because they wouldn't last 5 minutes actually working in the field.
The hours and benefits are nice. The only thing that is undesirable is working holidays but you adjust. Pay is lower than it should be but you do get raises and a bonus in the summer.
The environment with coworkers is pathetic. It's high school but even worse. Everyone is in everyone else's business and has nothing better to do than cause problems and drama. There are a lot of cliques. I've seen many people come in and leave too quickly because of the petty nonsense of jealous female workers.
However, you can also form really tight, close bonds with some coworkers. You learn who to trust, although it is not many people there.
Pros
Free lunches, great benefits, good hours, rewarding experience, union
Cons
Drama, working holidays, pay, no support from higher ups

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9