Devereux

Devereux United States Employee Reviews

apply at your own risk
Residential Counselor (Former Employee), Deptford, NJApril 24, 2015
Pros: great clients
Cons: management and staff are not on one accord.
They hire anybody as long as you do not have a criminal history. the clients that you work with are great however the staff is very young minded and do not want to pull their weight. Management will use you to get what they need done but when it comes to getting a raise or trying to change your hours, they give you a hard time. If your supervisor feels as though you are an asset to the house that you are working in be prepared to stay there forever. the bend the rules for people that they like and fire the people that attempt to fight for their own personal believes. if you can stomach not moving up in your career then this is the job for you. also if you attempt to get a union and they find out you will loose your job. seen it happen four times while working there.
Incomplete training, unhelpful, backstabbing co-workers
Former employee (Former Employee), Pascoag, RIApril 24, 2015
Pros: Working with and building a rapport with the kids
Cons: Cliquey coworkers uninterested in helping new staff become acclimated to routines and procedures
The first red flag was being told, after three months of waiting for one particular background check to be done, that I was being hired only as a fill-in staff, when I applied to be a full-time employee. Having been told by co-workers this would lead to full-time, I stuck around. Strike two is when I was sent to only two days of training, despite the fact that it takes place over a period of two weeks. Strike three is when a member of management, filling in, assured me it would be ok, after my questioning it, to do something that was unapproved(I hadn't been trained to do it) and then turned around and reported me for doing it. Factor in that coworkers aren't much interested in helping you learn the ropes, but more interested in stabbing people in the back. I was witness to them gleefully in the process of getting a co-worker fired. How does this environment contribute to the care of the children in the residence? I don't blame Devereux, but certain staff who don't have a grasp of the word "teamwork." I will say that management in this particular residence is quite good as is the clinician. Some employees there need to shift their focus to where it belongs; on the kids.
Worst place ever
Program supervisor (Former Employee), GeorgiaApril 21, 2015
Pros: Kids great
Cons: no breaks, bad management, over worked, no incentives for the kids to do good.... It's a set up don't do it!
kids are great management is horrible very disorganized not about the kids!! Abuse gets swept under the rug and they just juggle staff around to other departments!....if you work here say goodbye to your personal life!!
The worst place I have ever worked in my behavioral health career
Direct care staff (Former Employee), Kennesaw GeorgiaApril 21, 2015
Pros: It was a job
Cons: Lots
I work for the Devereux Ctr., Georgia. It was one of the most dangerous jobs that I can ever imagine working with human beings. It was a very unsafe environment lack of staff coverage all the time incident occurred that required hospitalization for clients and staff on several occasion, like of support from administration and supervisory staff lack of diversity in administration to diversity in the population served. I work they are almost 9 years felt I couldn't go anywhere else was able to go to graduate school when distant learning was unpopular. I got out of there.

I learned a lot about what kind of counselor I did not want to become.

20 years later a whole lot has not changed at the Devereux Georgia. Neither has my views about this agency or 90% of the past and present employees very telling.

Enter at your own risk.

The CEO went to jail for embezzlement
Supportive Co-workers
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee), Glenmoore, PAApril 15, 2015
Pros: free breakfast, lunch, and dinner
Cons: no breaks, stressful environment, location is in a mountain area, little job advancement
I have been with this company for 20 yrs both full and part time. Its a great place to work for experience. It took a while for me to move up the ladder but you can only advance so far before you become stagnant. I work with a bunch of good co-workers who are caring and supportive and makes coming to work fun. I oversee boys with different diagnosis from the age of 8-21. My facility is a residential treatment facility for boys. We are in charge of their daily routine from waking them up for breakfast, getting them ready for school, monitoring them in school for those who go to school on campus, making sure they have breakfast, lunch, and dinner, recreating in the evenings, and ensuring that they are all safe during sleeping hours.
They care about Children
Foster Care Learning Specialist (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 14, 2015
In all of their departments there is a high level of engagement with children. They found extra support systems

Co-workers are kind and lend support.

The best part was working with the families.
Great job for a well organized and on time individual.
Case Manager (Former Employee), Winter Haven, FLApril 6, 2015
This job consists of a lot of hours worked after or before work hours. The co workers are some of the greatest people to work around.
Devereux
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee), West Chester, PAApril 2, 2015
Pros: love the children
Cons: Management should care more about the needs of the kids
The children make this job wonderful, but the management does not put these children first. Most of the staff are friendly and helpful. Team work is a big deal. There is a lot of overtime available. It is hard to move up unless you know the supervisors.
Great and helpful company to work for
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Former Employee), Berwyn, PAMarch 30, 2015
Pros: dinner outings
Cons: job promotions
The day to day work at Devereux was something I use to look forward to, the individuals I work with were heart warming, at times the day was a little rough when one of the individuals was admitted to the hospital, but over all I had a great time working with co-workers that try their best to assist and care for these guys that needed it the most. the management was good, the hardest part of the job was when I had to come back to work and find out we lost an individual. the most enjoyable part of the day was musical activities
Difficult and Stressful
Boarding Faculty Member (Former Employee), Washington, CTMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Free food, decent pay
Cons: stressful work environment, poor life/work balance
Each day was extremely stressful. Student to faculty ratio is far to high. Immense amount of pressure put on staff. Students have very bad behavior problems and can be violent. No consequences for students behavior problems. Staff forced to work weekends, which results in having no social life.
SMH
Lead Staff (Current Employee), West Chester, PAMarch 25, 2015
management is horrible , everyone has their head stuck so far up their a**its insane. Lack of appreciation throughout the organization as a whole for their entry-level employees
Good Company.
Program Director (Former Employee), Orlando, FLMarch 24, 2015
Overall great company to work for and has a lot of opportunities for development and growth. Ideal for both students and professionals.
not a supportive work place
former worker (Former Employee), Rutland, MAMarch 21, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: poor support from management
Poor place to work and not supportive of employees. Treat people as dispoable goods and poor quality employees. Training is poor and all seem to be out for themselves. I do not reccommend this for anyone.
work environment
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Newfoundland, PAMarch 10, 2015
best part working with the clients worst part too much work for so little pay. no chance to move up in the company even when i graduated.
helping with kids with homework and play games
client (Former Employee), greenhouseMarch 4, 2015
Cons: doctors appointments
I wanted to work with the kids at the play area and go on field trips and help them with their homework and etc. And I wish I was living in Santa Barbara, CA and be with my friends and i know they miss me and i know i miss them
its an ok company
Clinical Case Manager (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 2, 2015
People who work here are ok, the bosses are ok too. The salary is fair. I'm ready to see what else the world has to offer. I love working with the kids.
Milieu Management for at-risk youth
Senior Mental Health Worker (Former Employee), Westminster, COFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: great experience
Cons: n/a
Mental health workers at Devereux Cleo Wallace are the direct care staff for at-risk youth. Administrative staff are supportive of everyone. Great activities programs such as swimming and basketball.
Very positive work experience
PROGRAM DIRECTOR (Current Employee), Berwyn, PAFebruary 26, 2015
As per Devereux’s website:
Devereux’s extensive array of services enables us to provide many service options ranging from intensive residential treatment programs and inpatient and outpatient services, to community-based services, group homes, individualized family services, day schools, employment programs, and therapeutic foster care.
Our Philosophy of Care focuses on the unique needs of the individuals and families we serve, utilizes positive approaches, and emphasizes evidence-based practices for the most in effectiveness, accountability and positive outcomes.
Productive and fun workplace
Assistant Program Manager (Current Employee), Kennasaw GeorgiaFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: sometime no break
I was the oversee of 10 plus employees and had to ensure the daily living skills of 40 plus children was done and charted of a daily basis. The hardest part of the job was everyone not working has team players. What I have learned being organized and structure is key and very important.T he most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the kids smile and be happy. I work with a great group of people.
stressful but potentially rewarding position
Behavioral Health Counselor (Current Employee), Morristown, NJFebruary 10, 2015
A typical day consists of ensuring that clients adhere to the daily schedule, supervision, dinner preparation, administering medications, facilitate social/life skill groups, taking clients on trips into the community and completing daily paperwork.

Management is supportive and available whenever assistance is needed, and I have not yet experienced any issues with co-workers.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with the stress that comes with working with teenagers who can be verbally and physically aggressive or oppositional/defiant.

The most enjoyable aspect of the job is when you are able to connect with the youth and see them making progress towards reaching their goals.

1 2 3 4 5

About Devereux

Devereux is a leading nonprofit behavioral health organization that supports many of the most underserved and vulnerable members – Read more

Devereux Salaries