DeVry University Employee Reviews

Glorified Sales Position
Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Addison, ILDecember 1, 2016
Thought it was an academic advisor role to help students prepare for school, but it was a sales position to old calling. The money is very good to stay but the pressure to sell the product is very high. You have to enjoy sales to like this position.
Pros
Money
Cons
Short Breaks, the pressure to sell.
Great place while it lasted.
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCNovember 30, 2016
Loved this job. Great management team, albeit limited in their capacity by corporate micromanagement. Pay was weak but offset by being able to pursue a degree with 99% off of tuition. I would still be there, but thanks to the corporate chopping block, I was let go, and local management had no control.

That's what you get when you play with shoeboxes and finding the right shoe size. (former employees will laugh and know what I am speaking of when they see this - we had a honcho from corp come to us to speak about downsizing)

The admissions team was an absolute joke. Little did they know I setup monitoring on their stations. Each one was either watching soap operas, looking for jobs, and one was selling lawyer subscription packages on company time. I in turn reported this to management. 10 people on the admissions team, they enroll a single student, in a 2 month period.

Most likely the reason for the right shoe size downsizing.
Pros
Local management was stellar. Professors TOP NOTCH. Great team.
Cons
admissions reps were spoiled non productive babies.
Great benefits and colleagues
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 29, 2016
The benefits are very good. The colleagues are great. It is very rewarding to work in the field of education as lives are changed. The culture is very good.
Federal Work Study position
IT Support Specialist & Student Tutor (Former Employee) –  Westminster, CONovember 21, 2016
This position allowed me to become more familiar with my professors and others who work at DeVry University. I learned many things about networking and computers.
Pros
Good work environment
Federal Work Study, Academic Assistant (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CANovember 20, 2016
Great place to work, the greatest part about the job is the look on the students face when they start understanding the material they didn't understand at first.
Fun work place
Student Assistant Librarian (FWS) (Former Employee) –  North Brunswick, NJNovember 16, 2016
Working as a Student Assistant Librarian was the most enjoyable experience i had i got to assist students and learn more about computer technology. I also got to work with well rounded co-workers who taught me allot about working in the Library which would help me out in the job market today. Furthermore i really enjoyed talking to my boss who was easy going and laid back. When i needed help on how to do something or if i didn't understand how a task he would walk me through on how to complete it.
Pros
Enjoyable co- workers
Cons
Bad hours and low pay
Amazng Experience
Visiting Professor (Current Employee) –  Colton, CANovember 15, 2016
I love working for DeVry. Excellent classroom environment. The students are eager to learn and to teach. Professors are well diverse.
Pros
Excellent professors
Cons
You will never advance, and if you do.. not worth it
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILNovember 11, 2016
If you are looking to be tied to a desk, and have to account to every minute that you are not in ready to take calls mode. If you a robot that doesn't mind sucking up to management, and being talked about behind your back, micro managed, and having your bathroom breaks timed this is the place for you. Make no mistake it is an inside sales position with NO comensation, you will get paid exactly what someone who is less productive than you. Management could not do the job of an Admissions Rep to save their lives. Rules change every day, and your supervisor is only worried about their own profuction. Lots of Nepotism, Better be related to someone to survive. You will be openly criticizied if you don't have numbers, even though that is illegal. Slam everyone into classes. STAY AWAY....
Pros
Nice Cafe
Cons
You be monitored at all times. Calls recorded, questioned about every call, unless you are related or friends with management
okay
Director of Financial Aid (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYNovember 10, 2016
Overall good place to work. There were some issues with being able to retain management. Great support staff and culture. Very student centered. Need to work on properly compensating people.
Great place to teach and great people to work with.
Senior Professor and Math Chair (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GANovember 9, 2016
DeVry University has an excellent work environment. The course material is user-friendly, the deans are supportive, and the students are serious about learning. They do not micro-manage but support varying teaching styles suited for the individual professor.
Pros
Excellent benefits.
Cons
No cafeteria.
I love my job
Visiting Professor of English (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 27, 2016
DeVry offers its professors all the systems and processes to make them successful. They are established, reputable, and care greatly about students. It's an honor to serve as an educational champion.
Pros
Visiting Professor so work in a SILO
Cons
Not part of a daily team
A tipical day
Facilities worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Washington, PAOctober 24, 2016
Entered campus, proceeded with a quick inspection before opening doors to students and employees (staff and facility) ensure safety of campus. After opening campus proceeded with a full inspection and noted all infraction then proceeded with repairs as needed. In my time at DeVry University I acquired some management skills, how to setup purchaser orders with vendors and suppliers, also the operation of the buildings HVAC system. i gained the respect of students, co-workers and management. The hardest part of the job was going back to school to get a degree in Project Management and keep the campus in perfect working order. My most enjoyable part of the job was getting the job done and having it done correctly.
Pros
Doing the work I enjoy
Cons
After years of working co-workes where removed, job became harder
Former Admissions Advisor
Admissions/Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILOctober 14, 2016
Just don't do it. he company is in a revenue free fall. DeVry University is hurting for profits, so they short change the new hires on salary and fire those who make too much money. Most management has never done anything outside of working for DeVry, so they have no clue what it means to be a real manager or team leader. They completely take advantage of aspiring students with ridiculous tuition costs and pipe dreams. If you have a integrity and morals, find something else.
Pros
great cafeteria
Cons
everything
Productive workplace
FWS - Faculty Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CAOctober 11, 2016
This was my very first job. Here, I was able to work on my customer service skills and learn how to service students and faculty members to the best of my abilities. If I was ever unsure, I would refer them to the appropriate department to have their questions answered. I gained so much experience and met some unforgettable people. Overall, it was a joy working here.
Pros
Flexible schedules
A for-profit University with over 80 years in business. Excellent management and opportunities for feedback and advancement.
Senior Executive Advisor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 7, 2016
Outbound call to students who have expressed an interest in furthering their education.
Phone and on-site interviews to identify prospective students.
Peer mentoring of other Advisors.
Training of new Advisors.
Daily and weekly reporting.
Pros
Excellent work environment and recognition.
Cons
The University has been minimizing the number of campuses in resent years.
Subpar management bringing subpar job conditions
Student Support Advisor (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAOctober 2, 2016
I used to enjoy working for DeVry when they actually valued their employees and students. Nowadays it is all about the bottom line. Management makes the poorest business decisions that impacts everyone from the bottom up. No job stability or advancement opportunities. Everyday we were on pins and needles wondering if we would have a job tomorrow. Hardest part was seeing people lose their jobs session after session. Students were always effected because with every job cut their was an impact on service levels. Many times we didn't even have enough professors to teach the classes we had on the schedule (which were not many). Spent months understaffed and over-worked. Pay is ok, not enough for everything you deal with. This is not a school, this is a business.
Pros
Free tuition, competitive pay
Cons
Lack stability, Unethical, Corporate Focused instead of Education Focused
Job security is a major concern and leadership moves to slow
Admissions (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILSeptember 27, 2016
There's no true sense of direction from top to bottom. The minute you buy-in to a new process, resource, ideology, or even leader it's immediately changed.
Private Equity owned
Director of Marketing (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 26, 2016
Don't waste your time. Find a more viable alternative for your skill set. This entity will not value your efforts and when it becomes necessary to meet the P&L obligations of the business you become expendable.
Cons
Highly Engaging workplace- Great opportunities.
Manager, Partner Engagement (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 20, 2016
The company is always looking for ways to drive its employees into positive areas- training, development, games, workshops, outings all while focusing on helping people achieve their educational, career and professional goals.

Very Fulfilling place to work if you enjoy helping people meet their goals.
Pros
Free education for employees and discount for dependent and spouse.
Cons
too many process changes and reporting requirements
Horrible campus and management
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Crystal City, VASeptember 19, 2016
Don't waste your time here. The management will lie to you if needed. Classes are not consistent. You don't know if you are teaching until a few days before the class starts.
Pros
Compensation per class is fair
Cons
Management! Watch for Valerie!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DeVry University. Our community is ready to answer.