Dexter Community Schools Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Good staff environment and manager
Para Educator (Former Employee) –  Dexter, MIJanuary 14, 2018
Poor incentive to stay getting no paid time off the 2 weeks for holidays like the rest of the staff got was a difficult time for our family makes no sense right.
Pros
Good work environment manager
Cons
No paid holidays for 2 weeks for Christmas no benefit package like everyone else who works there
Fair Principals
Para Educator (Former Employee) –  Dexter, MINovember 13, 2017
The principals and administration were fair. However the whole district is underfunded so it has limited ability to achieve its goals. Very little career mobility.
Pros
Nice coworkers, well meaning staff and administrators
Cons
Underfunded
Good first working experience
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Dexter, MIJuly 7, 2017
Learned a lot working there for over four years. Had two separate jobs there Swim instructor and Lifeguard. Will take skills I learned here and apply them to my future jobs.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
not enough hours
Growing school district
Spanish Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dexter, MIMay 11, 2017
Working here is great and I have enjoyed my time with the staff and students. When other school districts were struggling we were still doing well. We had to make changes of course in the face of crisis.
Planning and meaningful interactions
Preschool Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dexter, MIApril 12, 2017
A typical day for me starts as I get up early and try to get to work at least 20 minutes before the ‘start time’. In this way, I can avoid any delays due to traffic jams and can still be on time for work and also find a close parking spot. Then, I sit down and check the lesson plan for the day. I jot down what all plans I have to complete and prioritize them depending on their importance. I always keep in mind that the plans for the day may not go the way I have planned so I always keep a plan B. I check my voice mails and emails and the calendar and try to make plans accordingly. This way I can increase my pace for doing work and be more productive for the entire day.
Great students and amazing program
Band Camp Counselor (Current Employee) –  Hillsdale, MIDecember 4, 2016
I got to work with the Dexter High School Band and as a future music teacher, I loved working with this band. I spent a week this summer teaching their band camp and instructing them how to marching and running 3 field rehearsals a day as well as teaching their band the music they play for their show.
Pros
Working in the field I want to teach, lunch/dinner included.
Cons
Days were usually 7am-9pm
Fun place to work with all the holidays.
Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Dexter, MISeptember 28, 2015
Dexter Community Schools has a lot to offer. The staff cares about the students and the education they receive. The community is also a great place to live.
Pros
The school schedule
Cons
Healthcare.
Productive fun workplace with Staff and Children
Child Care Assistant / Brochure Designer (Current Employee) –  Dexter, MIJanuary 27, 2015
I have worked for Dexter Community Schools for five years. I have learned a great deal about my self and I have learned a great deal about working with all different types of people.
My typical day as a Child Care Assistant consists of checking in the children after school as well as the care, management, creative challenges, parent interaction, and fun filled activities to engage children that I look after. My day as a Brochure designer consists of the designing and creating of an informative material, that is distributed throughout the community.
I would say the hardest part of the job is watching the children you come to care for move on. Though your happy that they are advancing in their lives, you can't help but miss their fun filled childish wonder and thought processes. Whereas the Brochure making, becomes hard due to the fact that you always want to over prefect the work that you're creating, and making it the best it can possible be.
With Child Care the best part is the impact you make on another human beings life, by inspiring them to be more confident, out of the box, and independent their by giving them tools that will last and help them throughout their lives. With Brochures and Design, it's seeing your work displayed around and thinking, "I made that" "I was a part of something that impacts others". It's an affirmation that the work you're doing and perfecting is being recognized and benefitting others.
Nice place to work
Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Dexter, MIJanuary 13, 2015
I grow as an educator each day with new challenges and experiences. The staff is friendly and the students are great. There is opportunity for personal development. I work with several students so my day is broken up and this adds a lot of variety to the job.
loved my job working for the schools, I like working with kids
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Dexter, MIApril 21, 2014
When I first started out I did Lunch aid, sub in library, sub in office, did chapter 1 which was to help kids with reading and math (etc.) and I also helped in classrooms when teachers needed help.
Then I started working in the Food Service and I prepared meals, ordered food, clean dishes and ran a cash register at lunch.
Pros
Did not have any
Cons
I loved working with kids and the teachers
It was great to work with students and staff at Dexter Schools.
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dexter, MIAugust 21, 2012
I prepared and cooked and served the lunch meal for students
and staff and Dexter Community Schools.
Fantastic learning environment
Spanish I teacher (Former Employee) –  Dexter, MIJuly 18, 2012
Mill Creek Middle School was a wonderful place to teach. The administrative and instructional staff were warm, welcoming, collaborative and professional. I felt that the honor of the profession of teaching was upheld at every turn by using clear communication, hard work, self-reflection, collaborative planning and true care for each student.
Pros
excellent support, wonderful students.
Cons
lowest wage for long-term subs in washtenaw county.