DexYP Employee Reviews

Great work from home atmosphere, good product set
Senior Media Consultant (Former Employee) –  Middleton, MASeptember 13, 2017
Dex media is a decent place to work although it's bread and butter print advertising has been declining in in use for years. When the company was Verizon/Supermedia they were still at the top of their game. There is still money to be made but the industry is very congested.
Pros
Work from Home, decent commission plan
Cons
main product is dying
Fun place to work
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 12, 2017
Great company. Think it will be ever better now that we are getting new leaders .... I'm excited to see the new company and where we will go from here!!
Pros
Great money
Cons
Dealing with other people's loss
Productive day
Vendor Management Expediter (Current Employee) –  Camarillo, CASeptember 11, 2017
Its always a productive day. Its a new experience every day as its different vendor we are in contact with. The most enjoyable part of the day is helping my fellow team.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
healthcare
Used to be a great place to work, but not in recent years
Senior Media Consultant / Premise Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 9, 2017
I absolutely loved working here for most of my almost 16 years there. However, as the company continued to shrink and lose revenues, it became very difficult to find enjoyment or a sense of purpose/longevity. Over time their product mix became less and less effective, and I lost confidence in them being able to truly help my clients.

Management has changed several times over the years as well. They used to value the employees, however, it seems like that has changed since the most recent management team has taken over. They lost sight of the value of more veteran employees that had strong relationships with our clients.

It's a shame to see what once was a strong company back in the day when it was Verizon Information Services slowly sinking like the Titanic. They just keep trying to plug the holes to slow it down by doing things like filing three separate bankruptcies, and cutting employees.
Pros
Good compensation if you can sell well, good benefits
Cons
no real upward mobility since company is losing revenue, high stress, poor fulfillment after the sale
Good company overall - definitely gaps
Software Sales Consultant - Remote (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 6, 2017
I have enjoyed my time at Dex Media - I'm currently looking for new opportunities, but that doesn't mean it's a bad place to work. The culture is hard to judge, since all sales reps are remote. That gives us the autonomy to do our jobs, while still having a social life. The management and executive team is great - they promise a lot of things, but unlike most corporate environments, they actually deliver.

Being in a client-facing role has it's ups and downs. A lot of our clients have been through the wars with Dex Media, so as a sales rep, I get to shoulder a lot of that burden, which makes even the smallest client (dollar wise) a challenge at times. One part of the job that is tough is that as the local sales rep, you act as sales, account management, and billing. Dex has all of these departments in place, but because we are the only person the client actually sees, we are their first call, which sometimes makes it hard to actually sell.

The biggest reason I'm looking to leave Dex is salary. While the commissions are uncapped, and the benefits are decent, the base salary is down-right low. Understanding that commission is how a sales person really makes his or her money, as in every sales jobs there will be highs and lows, and when the salary is low, it sometimes forces you to live paycheck to paycheck. Additionally, even if you kill it, there's no room for a raise, and there is no room to grow.

All in all, it's a great company, and if the salary situation was different, I most likely wouldn't be looking to make a move.
Marketing Specialist
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 5, 2017
Poor management, and very high school type atmosphere. If you're not "in" with the management you'll never be promoted. If you enhoy cold calling you'll like it though.
Pros
good pay/benefits
Cons
poor management
Its Ok
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 5, 2017
Dex is a place you start but you will never finish your course. The company had so many drastic changes over the years it causes a lot of uncertainties for the employees. The management just depends on what department . The workplace culture isn't too bad they try to have annual activities for everyone to participate, benefits are good! The part I enjoyed were my coworkers otherwise everyday was scary the company has went bankrupt several times. Great company to get started to learn Marketing ..hope they will get better ..
Benefits
Cons
too many changes
Sales job with pressure and rewards
Media Consultant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MASeptember 2, 2017
An average day starts early am with prospecting for contractors. Out in the field after 8am sales huddle until at least 4pm then back to your home to do paperwork and follow up on tasks. Get organized for the next day.

You work multiple markets and need to be self-motivated and highly organized. You have support through a solution center and your area manager however you are mostly on your own and responsible for your account base and new business sales.

This is a high pressure and can be stressful.
Pros
Incentives for Increase and New Business sales
Productive & fun
B2B Collections/Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSAugust 28, 2017
Very fun and relaxed place to work. The employees were celebrated, once I won the Chairman's award. The company also gave bonuses to those that exceeded the goals and even an occasional free breakfast or lunch.
Pros
Very relaxed and fun workplace
Cons
Former Yellow Page Giant trying to find their niche in the new Digital World.
Digital Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 28, 2017
Inside sales position consisting of account management and new business acquisition. During the several years I worked there, I witnessed well over half the company get laid off, which naturally feeds constant concern regarding long term security of any position. I did make very good money for a few years; afterwhich average compensation all levels steadily "decreased" as swell as likely opportunities for growth.
Pros
New Sales/Account Mgt Hybrid role, explosive industry.
Cons
Antiquated processes. Financial instability
Great learning and challenging environment.
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COAugust 24, 2017
It was a fun job. We were fixing a database prior to a datadump/conversion. There were other highly intelligent people to talk with. The initial training was awesome. Too bad it wasn't a permanent job, but we were all hired on a temp basis.
Pros
Great Training
Cons
Lack of direction on the part of the supervisior
Financial Insolvent
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 21, 2017
Dex Media has be financially incapable of competing in its market place for over 10 years. That dynamic minimizes any work/life benefit experiences be many top rated companies.
Digital Campaign Manager
Digital Campaign Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXAugust 20, 2017
Fast paced environment with professional management and fellow associates. Work with internal and external clients is rewarding yet very challenging. Consistent changes in the Internet environment which allows each associate to stay top of all Social Media updates and changes and communication with the Marketing world. Company displays excellent benefits.
Pros
Consistent Training
Cons
Work can be overwhelming with mandatory overtime.
Fun
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXAugust 18, 2017
Love the company. Management is amazing. They make the atmosphere a non stressful atmosphere. Has great hours as well as bonus and insurance benefits.
Defunct old media company
Digital (Internet) Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCAugust 18, 2017
Went from publishing white pages to Web searches to ---i dunno, cookbooks? Long ago and I dont want to discuss it. Some people I worked with were nice.
Opportunities Abound
Manager (Current Employee) –  VirtualAugust 17, 2017
Great organization with high earning potential for driven sales professionals. On the product and marketing side, LOTS of very smart and engaged folks.
A work from home virtual job - super challenging and fun!
Social Media Content Writer (Current Employee) –  ColoradoAugust 14, 2017
Great Company - to work for from home. It is contract work without benefits but pays good. It is piece work so it is for driven people. You can do it part time or full time. I really like it!
Pros
You can work when you are available! Best part!
Cons
No benefits - but a great part time gig!
Some great people, learned alot,,, including what not to do or who to trust, hopefully the company has made it through the ugly....
whatever they call you that month (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSAugust 8, 2017
most definitely some managers in positions who should not have been.

* moving targets
* low integrity
* low accountability
* service layers were broken
* high turnover
* favortism and heavy politics

the good**

*great pay
*great benefits
* weekends off
* 1 out of 10 of your clients you might actually help so that makes it feel just that much better when there is a success.
* they DID REALLY ATTEMPT to create a positive results oriented environment...

unfortunately the Name of This Game was outsell OUR churn from what WE lied about the first time....

Sad and unfortunate
Pros
early out fridays if you produce, lots of recognition
Cons
recognition for BAD BEHAVIORS led to lies lack of integrity, numbers over integrity on all levels, too much to move through and keep quality HONEST people, on all levels UNABLE TO PERFORM AS SYSTEMS INDICATED
Hardcore sales culture for outdated products
Advertising Consultant/Outside Sales, SuperMedia (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAAugust 7, 2017
Lots of cold calling and convincing customers in the benefits of their products that may or may not be realistic for the average business. outdated products that provide little results for most businesses.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
sales quotas
Unsettled
Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucker, GAAugust 2, 2017
Since the acquisition of YP by Dex Media there has been a tremendous amount of change. Dex is still trying to figure out the integration plans for the YP folks, so the future is uncertain.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Job Security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DexYP. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7