DFCU Financial Employee Reviews

N/a
MRR (Teller) (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 2, 2017
a typical work day is balancing offerering loans to members, being proactive, you'll learn different products and how to balance the management is okay its great environment more like a family.
Good Workplace
Cash Operation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Garden City, MIAugust 25, 2017
I enjoyed working at DFCU and was sad I had to leave because of relocating for my husbands job. I would recommend them. There are sales goals but as long as you do your job it will be fine!
Calm and inclusive
Teller (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MI 48108July 15, 2017
DFCU Financial has a very nice work environment that includes everyone. Along with being professional, DFCU is still friendly and can make employees feel safe.
Great place to learn about banking
Member Service Representative- Cash line (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIMarch 30, 2017
I really enjoyed working here and would go back if I still lived in the state. I moved away after school but DFCU made me realize I really like working in business.
No Sense
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJanuary 23, 2017
They said that they're not ones to hire then fire or layoff and look what they did. It is a great place to work it just upset me. The suporvisors are great but it just upsets me
Micromanaging to meet sales goals, very sales driven job.
Acting Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 14, 2017
working with the members and co-workers is a great atmosphere, but is a high pressure sales position. Micromanaged to meet goals, including daily and weekly meetings with management to review and role play. Has great benefit package as long as you can handle the micromanaging. Team atmosphere is great, co-workers typically get along and enjoy small competition games with awards.
Pros
Great Customer Service and great benefit package
Cons
micromanaged, sales goals
Great organization
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIOctober 7, 2016
DFCU is a great company to work for. I appreciate the open communication and honest feedback from management. The benefits package is hard to beat!
Pros
Earned paid time off
Cons
Unknown in the Lansing market
Awesome training and good company
MRR/Teller (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 2, 2016
The training that they give is fantastic. By the time I was through with training, I was more than prepared to work on the teller line. The sales goals are easy to meet and exceed, and compensation is decent. The positive side and the down side is that in metro-GR there are only part time positions available. All in all, the pay is good and raises aren't out of reach. Great company with lots of pride, which shows in their employee activities and outings.
Pros
great member base and management
Cons
only part time
Great place to start
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MISeptember 14, 2016
DFCU gave me a job when I needed it most. I graduated college with the help of this company working around my school schedule. I would recommend DFCU to any college student looking for a job that pays decent and is flexible.
MRR (Former Employee) –  MichiganJuly 26, 2016
Great place to work. Wonderful staff. Lots of perks for staff. Some benefits are available to pt. events as well. More like family Enviornment.
Pros
Part time supplement
Cons
Older software
Very conservative. Favoring Senior Leaders.
Assistant Member Relations Manager (Current Employee) –  DearbornJuly 20, 2016
Great company will be presented to you upfront. You will be successful if you do what you are told and DO NOT VOICE YOUR OPINION if you disagree with ANYTHING! It will come back to haunt you.

If you agree to do what the SVPs and Branch Adminstration tell you to do, Great! If you dont, shut up and do it or you will be fired!

Minorities are held to a higher standard than Caucasian employees.
Pros
Paid Lunch, Higher Salary than most; well defined procedures
Cons
Micromanagement ; favorable treatment to some and not all, not accepting of assertive people
Externship
Human Resource Externship (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIMay 11, 2016
When I did my externship I had a lot of fun. I was shown how the HR department is ran on a day to day basis. I got to sit in on meetings and also had the chance to meet the President of the company.
More of a sales job than they let on
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  MichiganJuly 7, 2015
I am currently a part time teller. The job allows me to finish college while working.

The pay is decent, but most branches are understaffed. Tellers are expected to handle just about everything in branches, while management spends their time in meetings and working on sales strategies.

Not once in the interview were sales goals mentioned, it was all customer service related questions and cash management/cash handling experience.

Turns out as a teller we are required to push products on EVERYONE that we wait on. This could be the member we see 7X per week or a 15 year old that doesn't even make his own financial decisions. If you don't ask for a loan or product, management will get on you.

I once had a member in tears at my window about a family member passing. They left and I didn't ask about loans or investing, and was questioned and reprimanded for deviating from the script.

Serious micromanagement from the top. They fire a lot of employees for policy related items or minor balancing differences.

But it probably beats manual labor and the pay for a teller can work out to close to 15/hr with small sales incentives.
Work at DFCU
Teller (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIFebruary 3, 2015
I am a teller at DFCU financial. I serve as the face of our credit union to each member that walks in. Along with serving their transaction needs i am also responsible for acquiring loan and investment referrals to promote our branches growth. Customer service, organization and follow ups are an essential part of my job and are skills i intend to bring to my next employer as well.
Working with members that have different objectives
MRR Cash/ Teller (Former Employee) –  ann arbor miDecember 11, 2014
Typical day consist of getting your cash drawer and open for business. It is a lot of on the job training. We work together to make sure we meet deadlines with sales. Friendly environment. At times management don't express how they feel about their employees.
Pros
Paid lunch.
Cons
Management that support your growth
Good coworkers
Cash Operation Specialist (Current Employee) –  MichiganAugust 9, 2014
This company makes you feel like an individual. The managers have an open door policy and try to help you exceed your goals. The company provides training for all advancement opportunities. A typical day is assisting members with issues that they may have. My task is to listen for clues and offer products that will benefit our members. The most enjoyable part of my job is problem solving. I enjoy helping members or coworkers and provide the best customer service that I can.
Pros
Helping others
Great Teamwork
MRR Cash/ Teller (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor MichiganJanuary 26, 2014
Room for quick advancement. a typical day consist of preforming typical transactions. The company focus on selling the business. If you are into sales this is a great job to lean from.
No chance for advancement! I was here 2 yrs before at pt before 1 manager finally saw potential in me and made me FT!
Vault Custodian (Former Employee) –  michiganJanuary 23, 2014
This is a horrible place to work! I was let go because the manager didnt like the fact i wasnt putting up with their control and scare tactics anymore. I saw employees fired out of the blue for no good reason! Then they didnt even talk about it when we knew one of our coworkers were no longer working there. But they didnt talk about it, it was like it never happened. They had almost daily mtgs about the same things over and over. And then sent u home with homework every wk. After exceeding their sales goals again and again I was let go. i was told I wasnt a good fit and I didnt meet the goals!! If this was true why did it take 4 yrs to realize i wasnt a good fit?? Strange I think?? And a very poor excuse. They dont care about there employees, they care more about donating to all kinds of local schools or business and putting there name out there. And anytime i go in there they have new employees and u have to wait in line for a really long time because they are always shorthanded.
Pros
I had one great manager for a short time.
Cons
Lunches r too short & u cant lv bldg
entry level bank job...
mrr cash (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 27, 2013
Good banking start, nothing else. Hire in to the position you want, moving up is not an option(they DO NOT promote from within, at least i'm not waiting years to do so, i left and am making $5 hour more, have 2 weeks vacation, full time with benefits). So happy to leave, crapppy hours, you have to put this job ahead of others peak hours(no chance to get a second job), no benefits(don't plan on getting sick your on your own), you could work 6 days and get 30 hours, wasting time and gas, company doesn't care new people every 3 months, no one wants to put up with that garbage. They were a job when i needed them... i was a good worker who exceeded all my sales goals, and they hired in someone for the position i wanted buh bye!!!
Pros
my checks were never shorted....
Good pay, but difficult to advance
MRR (Current Employee) –  MichiganOctober 22, 2012
I have been with DFCU for about two years. The branch I work in feels like a family because of my coworkers, but I feel as though I'm at a stand still, being that I've been in that same position all that time.
Pros
good pay
Cons
difficult job advancement