DHS Employee Reviews in United States

loved working with people
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILMay 19, 2016
i worked with this company for a few years and was overall satisfied with the pay and the ability to work directly with people. i love to be social so this job was perfect.
Pros
good pay and advancements
Cons
not being clear enough on rules and regulations
I like helping people.
Specialized foster parent (Current Employee) –  Fort Collins, COMay 3, 2016
I learn some thing from every one of our boys.It has been a adventurer and rewording to work with boys with different disability..
DHS/TSA is not a career friendly organization.
Supervorory Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Saint Ann, MOApril 21, 2016
DHS/TSA is chronically understaffed and underpaid for the responsibilities involved. The work force is highly dedicated but under appriciated by the travelling public, media, and public officials.
assisting clients
Program Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ARApril 15, 2016
excellent, I enjoyed working there and helping the clients and being a team player, helping out as needed. The work environment was positive.
Pros
positive workplace
Cons
irrate clients
this was one of the best job i ever had, the management was great
dietary specialiest (Former Employee) –  Benton, ARApril 14, 2016
start the day at 4am loading the truck to be brought over to the other kitchen for the ladies to put together for the residents. help prepare for the next days meals. then get it prepared for the next day delivery. i had one of the best managers i had ever worked for to this day!. id say the hardest days was when their was a bunch of parties that had to go out at the same time that didnt happen to often.
Fast paste and highly productive environment
Contracting Officer Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 9, 2016
The Federal Emergency Management Agency coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.
I love this job. The job was great
Admin Assist. III (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 18, 2016
A typical day at work was Medicaid. I have to know the death policies at in line with state guidelines. Trust funds and everything needs to be known in order for applying for Medicaid Waiver.
Pros
Likable job
Cons
Short breaks
Good department
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, ILMarch 5, 2016
Working in in-home health care is rewarding. Bathing, meal preparation, transportation of client, and housekeeping. Great clients, productive co-workers.
Does not take care of their providers.
Home Care Provider (Current Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 5, 2016
I love working with my client. But working threw the state I make near to nothing. I also am asked to do more then what I am paid for. They only give you so many days to do to certain task even tho I have to do it more often.
Pros
I get to work with a great client.
Cons
No insurance, Not enough for what I do.
taking care of my sisters children while she is at work
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJanuary 13, 2016
I change diapers, cook them meals and give them a bath and take them to school. running the kids to schools and running my sister to her errands
Pros
love taking care of kids
Cons
Gain lots of experience, some Management Divisions are not so responsive
NETWORK MANAGER, IT & TELCOM Specialist (Current Employee) –  National Resevist Cadre - Washington, DCJanuary 9, 2016
DHS/FEMA provides lots of good experiences. From personal satisfactions of helping others to advanced projects participation with other stakeholders (i.e. State, County). Since Emergency workers are not covered under Federal Labor Law since we are Emergency employees "workerss" under the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (Stafford Act) which has no coverage to protect us "workers". There are very few PFT "permanent full time" positions in it and Management has been a revolving door for the last decade. I am glad for all the FEMA employees, state, city and county employees I ever met from different states, they all try to do a good job. FEMA will continue to attempt to evolve with all its budgets constrictions and management improvisations.
Pros
Most employees are hard workers needing no supervision, FEMA base of employees are mission oriented, lots of satisfaction doing this job despite some serious job issues, good experiences, lots of instant hands-on training on the field, lots of grateful people from city, state, and the public, Advanved Technologies to install and configure
Cons
Personnel is not too happy with working conditions, serious job compensation and civil protection issues to be resolved, too many implementations, to few follow ups on the Management level
Amazing
Personal Assistant/Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ILDecember 29, 2015
Amazing place to work and the staff has welcomed me with open arms. I've received no problems during my time there. I work with one person only which is great!
Not that great
TSA Officer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 28, 2015
There are a number of thing wrong with working here, the only good thing is that its the government. Everything else could use improvement.
Allows Advancement Opportunties
Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Glynco, GADecember 14, 2015
Excellent benefits; opportunities for advancement available; clearly defined work requirements; component is committed to improving student training experience.
I enjoyed the job
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 10, 2015
I am a people person so helping the disabled was something that I really enjoyed. I would still be working there if my client had not moved. I also enjoyed the fact that I could pretty much make my own schedule. It was an interesting experience.
Pros
I was able to make my own schedule.
Cons
They did not offer healthcare nor overtime.
Rewarding experience
Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIDecember 2, 2015
The administration is different now, but I can speak to my time I was employed. It was a very rewarding experience and I enjoyed all the students I worked with.
Excellent company to work for
Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2015
Excellent company to work for, the team is attentive and responsive when called with a concern or training. The Union is quite an asset for the DHS employees, very glad to be a part.
fast paced always changing
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOOctober 4, 2015
I deal with around a thousand people a day, some of these passengers are your typical everyday travelers but for the area that I work in majority are first time traveler. You need to have patience while still directing and maintaining order. I have learned that jobs need to be completed in a timely manor but not rushed and to take pride in my position. The best part of my job is managing my fellow co-workers, these are some of the best people I have ever had the privilege to know let alone work with. The hardest part of the job is just the demand from higher ups do more with less. I understand their point of view, but I still believe we could make changes in other areas. On a different note the best part of my day is watching everyone pull together and perform their mission as a team.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Family Time
A great program for disabled people.
CERTIFIED NURSING ASSISTANT DHS/DRS (Former Employee) –  Gibson City ILSeptember 29, 2015
The Dors. Program allows people who are disabled to stay in their home and receive a caregiver/personal assistant and come in and help them with their daily living needs. This is a great [program because it allows the disabled person to remain comfortable in their home and or normal surroundings.
flexibility
Home Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILSeptember 28, 2015
I like working for DHS, My hours are flexible, I work when I am needed each day. I help people that need it. My typical day consists of cleaning and cooking. I enjoy the people I work for. The hardest part of this job is that there are not enough hours.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
not enough hours.