Diageo Employee Reviews in United States

A good place to work with friendly people.
Dry Supply Bottling Team Member (Former Employee) –  Relay, MDApril 16, 2015
The ability to learn new things. The most enjoyable part of the job was working in the dry supply dept,and working in the quality control lab.
Great company, but ALWAYS layoffs, so it lacks stability
Finance Manager, Global Licensing (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 31, 2015
REALLY enjoyed working for this company, but the upper level folks always make decisions that don't seem to work out, do another re-org, and then lay the lower level people off. It's a constant churn about every 18 months. I'd be VERY wary of the stability here.
Pros
Quarterly allotment and Work/Life balance
Cons
OLD stale people in the decision making roles
Representing iconic Guinness brand
Market Development Manager-Ohio East (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 23, 2015
Diageo - Guinness USA role consisted of managing four wholesalers in the Ohio East market - NE Ohio territory.

In charge of all aspects of the market, which were able to help me grow in my role and learn the basics in market management position.

Representing iconic brand such as Guinness was very exciting.

Developing relationships in the market with both wholesalers and retailers was rewarding.
Pros
Solid core brands
Cons
Role stability due to brand extension risk
Fun learning experience in the making of alcohol.
Line Team Member (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, ILMarch 20, 2015
Days at Diageo varied by crews and position. On a 12 hour shift, a typical day at work varied. There were either very productive work days where records were broken, or days where we would stand around not being able to run a line. I've learned the responsibilities it takes to prepare and ship out alcohol. Management is great and takes care of issues right away, they show great recognition, and are always available when needed. Co-workers are very helpful and kind. Nights can go by very fast if lines are running and work is being done, but when lines go down that we have no control over, the hardest part on a 12 hour shift can be staying awake trying to look for work to do. Being very productive and getting orders done in time is the most enjoyable part.
Pros
free alcohol giveaways.
Excellent environment
Legal Extern, Global Intellectual Property (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTMarch 4, 2015
Great attorneys who afforded externs a fantastic opportunity to learn the ins and outs of global intellectual property. There is also a bar in the office serving up new Diageo creations.
Layoffs breed excessive internal competition
Materials Planning Lead (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTMarch 3, 2015
The company has layoffs every few months. It has created a pretty negative environment as everyone is trying to compete so they don't get laid off. It brings out the ugly in the folks I knew over the past 4 years.
Fun place to work
RESOURCING COORDINATOR - HR (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTDecember 29, 2014
A really busy but fun place to work. Very fast pace with a great culture.
It used to be a much stronger company in the past... unfortunately many positions are outsourcing overseas.
Great company with an entrepreneurial environment.
Transformation Priorities Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 26, 2014
Typical day at work:
- Listen to phone messages and review any unread emails from the day prior.
- Set tasks to complete for the day.
- Get on calls with management and or co-workers to discuss programs, issues, ways of working, etc...
- Get on calls with distributor to discuss programs, current state of business, issues, accomplishments, etc...

What I learned:
- What I learned is this is a company for competitors. This is not a bad thing. In my opinion, most of the employees are competing so hard to beat the next person out that often there is disregard for your fellow employees well being. The competiveness is good to a certain point but at times appears to be callus. Alignment with the right VP/GM's is the key to survival in this company. One cannot survive the constant re-orgs without it.

The hardest part of the job:
Simply put, the hardest thing to do here is to rebuild programs that have been sent to execute without being thought out or complete. I found there was a constant re-building of programs that should be ready to go.

Co Workers:
Some of my co-workers in my opinion are some of the brightest people I've ever met.

The most enjoyable part of the job:
Representing some of the biggest and best Spirit brands in the world. That's a good feeling.
Pros
great brands
Cons
callus approach to managing business and people.
Fast Paced Company with aggressive Targets
Supply Innovation & Brand Change Manager (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLNovember 12, 2014
Freedom to succeed with aggressive targets in place. Amazing brands.
Pros
weekly social hours
Cons
constant reorgs
Will soon be completely outsourced
Manager IRS Audit, Int'l Tax, Gov't Relations (Former Employee) –  NorwalkOctober 20, 2014
Does not respect their employees below the VP level. Has been outsourcing many departments over the last few years.
One of the Big Four
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTSeptember 12, 2014
One of the Big Four companies doing Audit, Tax and Compliance
Fun company to work for.
Receptionist, Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Napa, CAAugust 6, 2014
This was a great company to work for with lots of fun things to offer both employees and customers.
Tough culture but rewarding
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Norwalk CTAugust 5, 2014
Culture somewhat snooty. Okay for a pit stop in your career but nothing long term
Quit a job that I shouldn't have for this one.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, ILJuly 18, 2014
This job is terribly managed. Only worked there for a year. I worked my butt off and any of them care less. They made sure they won an award for best place to work in Illinois then two weeks later announced layoffs and lower people's pay drastically. That company ruined a lot of people lives. They was not losing money at all. Just greed that has to come from the share holders. I found out first time what birddog meant never heard that word before. When I say terribly manage we found emails that was sent from manager to manager in detail to "birddog" employees. This is upper management! Now a CEO can make decision to layoff but he make 11mill a year? I will never understand that but I guess that's the way things are. I had a job before I worked there. I thought I can make more and enjoy working for a reputable company. That wasn't the case. Their attitude and this is all the way up the chain of this company is : keep them drunk make more money. Because if alcohol wasn't addictive then they wouldn't be in business.
Solid place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTJune 25, 2014
Solid place to work...lots of change. Sometimes loses its way in terms of what it is trying to accomplish.
OK Place
Risk Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimmore, MDJune 17, 2014
Great Pay and Insurance. No work/life balance. Long hours, high management turnover.
High Energy, Dynamic and Performance Driven
North America Learning Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTJune 1, 2014
I spend the majority of my time partnering with our HR Business Partners to create and execute learning plans for all functions in North America. I manage a number of stakeholders and have visibility to senior leadership. Most of my co-workers are remote so I spend a significant amount of time connecting via email and phone. The hardest part of my current role was to get up to speed quickly on the expectations of my stakeholders and become the expert in our region on learning interventions. I enjoy my role because it allows me to positively impact our organization and help to build capabilities thus affecting the quality of our talent.
Challenge and joy of Africa
Route to Consumer Supply Implementation Manager (Former Employee) –  Netherlands, Cameroon, GhanaMay 26, 2014
I got the opportunity to move as an Expat to Africa.
I am now experiencing Ghana and before Cameroon.
This job is into project management to move from current route to market (Key distributors ) to a 1000 customers (retailers, wholesalers...).
That brings to set up several new distribution centers and the adequate service to supply and satisfy our new customers.
I work in a friendly environment.
Challenges seat mainly to move at the right pace considering all challenges that Africa can bring.
The most enjoyable part is when we move into action like recently the depot for pilot went live and we started supplying new customers.
Also, I really enjoy when assumptions are confirmed, processes are working and costs related match what we expected.
I dont give up easily and I like when I am facing strong challenges.
I also believe deeply in the power of the relationships that can unlock and enable anything.
Dynamic and forward thinking company
Marketing Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 21, 2014
Diageo is a great place to work with world class brands with a diverse culture and thinking. As with all large companies that are owned by shareholders, you have to contuously drive profit through innovation and keeping costs low. This makes for a very fast paced & ambitious work environment, but most of the employees thrive under this type of pressure, as the results and acheivements are so rewarding. But at the same time, it has become less fun and more relentless as the years have gone on.
Pros
fun events & employee perks
Cons
long hours & no work/life balance
Money focused
Human Resources Director (Current Employee) –  NorwalkMay 19, 2014
Company is money focused. They talk about engagement until there is a slip in the numbers. While employees are being terminated, management is getting promotions.