Diagnostic Laboratory Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Favoritism
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  GuamNovember 3, 2016
Management exhibits favoritism among employees. Listens to only certain employees. There is no encouragement to those that wanted to move up into a higher position. Hard working employees are not so much appreciated whereas new employees hired that came from the competitor are treated with special privileges. Employees multitask, breaks are limited and being monitored, employees are bounced from one satellite to the other without any orientation of how the satellite flows. There is unfair employee evaluation. Lazy workers received the same evaluation rate with hard working employees. Overall, management needs to undergo supervision training including employee recognition and performance evaluation training. Free sponsored tickets are being sold to employees.
Pros
Low premium on Health and dental benefits
Cons
Limited and monitored breaks
Don't work at QMC
Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant 1 (Current Employee) –  ‘Aiea, HIApril 4, 2016
This is a great company to work for unless you're working at Queens Hospital. I've never been more encouraged by my own co workers to quit then when I transferred from Satellite to Queens. There have been so many complaints from staff on all shifts and nothing is ever done about it. Management is horrible. They play favorites, I'm assuming the good reviews here are from the favorites. And the pay is no where near good for the amount of work and stress we go through on a daily basis. If you do work here, satellites is a much better place to work. You have supervisors and seniors that actually care about you. They listen to your problems and take action! (This review is for Phlebotomist)
Pros
Satellites
Cons
Short break, heavy work load, poor management, very stressful environment(just the lab not the hospital itself), constantly short staffed, high turn over rate, poor training
Professional, friendly, fast-paced
Lab Assistant I (Current Employee) –  ‘Aiea, HIMay 7, 2015
A typical day at work includes collecting, accessioning, processing, and distributing specimen in a fast-paced environment. I have learned the various tests doctors order, how to resolve discrepancies for lab techs, how to properly process specimen, and how to work lab machinery.
My co-workers at DLS are friendly and professional--always cheerful and competent about their job duties. The training is excellent and efficient as well, although it was the hardest part of the job because there was much to learn (and there still is).
I enjoy working at DLS because it gives me a whole new perspective of the health care system (non-direct patient care). Doctors, nurses, and other clients rely on laboratory assistants to order correct tests and make sure they have been tested, to properly diagnose a patient so then they can treat them.
Pros
Friendly, healthcare, occasional free lunch
Cons
Location: Driving through traffic (start at 530 pm)
Excellent Company with people skills
Laboratory Assistant/ Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIFebruary 5, 2014
I've worked all 3 shifts with this company in a major hospital. The morning shift always started with morning rounds. Which meant going to the floors and obtaining the blood specimens for the tests that the physician ordered and is monitoring on the patients.

My co-workers were awesome. We would always look for each other when we where done to see if they needed help with a hard stick or whatever.

Management always listened to us and tried to always keep that working communication/ commitment open to all.

The work was steady and sometimes you worked past your lunch and took it late.

We always had fun working because we always played after.
Pros
We would have contest with the other sites, being in the hospital didn't always let us win though
Cons
Can't think of any
Supervisors NEEDS to learn and listen
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  FloridaOctober 3, 2013
Great place to work,IF you have the luck of get a good supervisor who don't take sides and REALLY LISTEN when employees try to speak.
You can learn a lot, but they can abuse you too, after the team lead in charge finish with your training, and he let you do ALL the work in the back.
The company can loose good workers, because of the lazy ones, who sit in their desk to play with their I-Phones and sign your requesitions under her name, but have at her side the supervisor.
Think a little bit, why the phlebotomist don't last longer at this office?
Is the new person or is some thing else there?
Why they left after 6 months?
Pros
Great patients, nice working place
Cons
Not listening employees complains, or patients requests
Great company. Great benefits.
Lab Employee (Current Employee) –  GuamFebruary 5, 2013
No breaks. Multitasking. Must be able to run test, process patient, answer phones, and more all at the same time. By the end of the day you are exhausted. Supervisors and manager are incompetent and need more training and should not be working at another job. Management gives preference to employees that are most obedient regardless if that employee makes a critical error. Coworkers are hardworking, however there is a need for more ethnic deversity, better communication skills, and better customer service. The most difficult part is not being unrecognized for achieving a goal and then given goals that are unrealistic. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to put our differences aside and support the cancer event "Relay for Life".
Pros
good benefits
Cons
there's always a lot of work to get done in such little time.
unpredictable schedules
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  OahuNovember 30, 2012
Good company but satellite employees always work short staff and under much stress.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
always short staff
Great enviornment
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 24, 2012
Laboratory with a steady flow and many responsibilities to fill. Drew blood in laboratory and inside physician's offices upon request. DNA procedures included taking blood, photograph and cash payment transaction. Hardest part of the job would handing over or finishing a blood draw and other laboratory procedures in order to answer a physician's request for a blood draw in their office. Physician's requested this thru phone or pager. Although it added a little pressure, I still showed the current patient courtesy and personal attention while finishing their blood draw. Most enjoyable part of the job would be all the goodies the patients brought to the laboratory in order to show their gratitude on the great service my co-workers and I gave them. Knowing we made some sort of impact on them is a great feeling, not to mention how delicious their pastries and dishes were.
Pros
great co-workers and hawaiian spirit.
Cons
running up and down the stairs to get to the physician's offices as fast as we could.
I have a good enviroment work palce
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  ‘Aiea, HIOctober 4, 2012
Being a employee in Diagnostic Lab for almonst 8yrs. i would say i love my job, i have great bosses and co-workere. Theres a time that very prostrated but by the end of the day, everything ok. Its hard sometimes when you can't please every body. I enjoy drawing and helping patients.
love my Co workers very productive & fun
PAR1 (Current Employee) –  Halawa. AieaMarch 9, 2012
I love DLS benefits, wish they would pay more. However the benefits are top notch.