1,436 reviews

Dick's Sporting Goods Employee Reviews

an ok part time job if you dont need to save money
Cashier, Under Armour Scout (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLMay 22, 2015
under staffed constantly
management very lazy
expected you to do not only your job but everyone else's
pay wasn't very good
Fun, Vibrant and Enjoyable Workplace with staff that's a second family
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Chesterfield, MIMay 22, 2015
Working at Dicks Sporting Goods was not only enjoyable but also a fun place to work. I worked back in the footwear department, and knew a lot about all the different types of shoes that were sold at my location. I am a runner and also played soccer for many years so those were my specialty area's.
On a typical day I would make signs for the shoes and displays, put away any backstock as well as organize all backstock. I answered multi line phones and transfered them to the department they needed. I was very organized and that helped on busy days. I also helped unload the trucks on mornings they came in. Helped other departments when they needed it. Always made sure every customer left with a smile and also made sure that if we didn't have what they were looking for that I could help direct them to where they could find it.
I learned a lot from my job at Dicks Sporting Goods regarding other sports and equipment. I loved my co-workers they were like a second family to me. The hardest part of the job was just managing time to finish everything before my shift was over, I always pulled through though and did it very organized. The most enjoyable part of my job was just my job in general and the people I worked with. I loved what I did and wished it went full time before I left but I really enjoyed every moment I spend working with my co-workers and customers.
Good Emplyees
Greeter, Cashier (Former Employee), Concord, NCMay 22, 2015
The employees are very outgoing nice caring down to earth people, but some management in unfair. Some management is great and caring but some are not.
Productive and fun work environment
PRICING AND SIGNAGE COORDINATOR (Current Employee), Brunswick, GAMay 21, 2015
My job at Dicks Sporting Goods is very fun, I am just looking for new opportunities. During my work days all employees join for a morning huddle and we start our day as a team, the management is very organized recently and improving very much. My co-workers are very lively to work with and make work days go very quickly.
Actual job was fun, management was difficult
Team Sports Sales Associate (Former Employee), Lawrence, KSMay 20, 2015
AS this job was part time while I was a student, I was relying on a little bit better communication between myself and the management to make work and school work together and they were not supportive of that.
Great place to work if you like a fast paced eviornment with dynamic inventory. Need to have open availability!!!
Department Lead-Footwear (Former Employee), Dublin, OHMay 20, 2015
Pros: Discount on awesome merchandise, interactions with customers, BEST HEALTH BENEFITS I'VE EVER HAD!!!
Cons: Random schedule every week and limited staff.
I worked in the Footwear Department my entire career there which was a combined 4 years. I would come in and before I did anything I would make sure our customers were taken care of. Then I would make sure that the sales floor was properly merchandised and stocked. Next was to make sure the back stock was clean and properly stocked. As Footwear Lead my main responsibility was inventory control and troubleshooting any customer issues. I now have a great working knowledge of most of the footwear technology available today. Unfortunately there is a revolving door of staff and this includes management. The only hard part of the job was the fact that we were understaffed. Without getting too into it, if we could put more people in each department the customers as well as employees would be much happier. The wait to try on a shoe could be borderline unacceptable at times. The only other rough part of working there was the completely random weekly schedule. Prepare to work all weekend and there are times where you would clock out at 11:30pm then have to be back there at 5:30am. We created the term "clopening" to describe it. All things aside, I genuinely loved what I did. My first real job was retail and I learned how to sell and sell well. I really enjoyed helping the customers too. Of course sometimes the job was thankless as any job can be but more often than not I had great experiences there and was sad to leave but long term I don't see how anyone could have a full life when you have no idea when your time off will be from week to week.
Laid back environment with advancement opportunities
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Columbia, MDMay 20, 2015
Learned how to work well with others in a high paced environment. A typical work day included keeping area clean and safe as well as assisting customers with my knowledge of items.
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Athens, GAMay 20, 2015
- Team Sports Sales Associate
- Retail Experience
- Learned how to interact with a various number of consumers
- Great co-workers
- Hardest: Inventory
- Easiest: Customer Service
Good environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Worcester, MAMay 19, 2015
Good environment with a management team that makes you feel at home. I've always got the right amount of training needed and never felt lost on the job.
Productive and fun work environment
Sales Support Manager/Hard lines Manager (Current Employee), Palmdale, CAMay 19, 2015
Pros: get to try new items for free
Cons: not enough time to learn or training
very rewarding place especially when you hear the feedback from your customers.
this company is definitely would only be good for the college student not for a carrier change
Great management, work with people that enjoy sports
Store Manager (Former Employee), Colorado, OklahomaMay 19, 2015
Pros: Fun, supportive work environment
An excellent place for those that enjoy the typical trappings of the retail experience. A company that is very committed to training and developing employees. There are lots of opportunity for advancement for those individuals that are highly adaptable and customer focused
Very exciting and fun environment with twists of challenging situations.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ladera RanchMay 18, 2015
Pros: Very helpful colleges and overall a great experience
Cons: Sometimes hours are limited.
Each day was always different and special. There were new situations and learning experiences each day allowing an individual, like a sales associate like myself, to gain more knowledge about different techniques to use in the work environment. Every individual was hard working and dedicated to their work. The management was exceptional, keeping everyone on task and always are productive. It was easy to make friends with the coworkers because they were all nice and had a positive attitude.
Love Sports aand taking care of customers needs
Team Sports Lead/Lodge Key Holder (Current Employee), Roseville, MNMay 16, 2015
Pros: Seeing a kid smile after you break in his or his glove
Cons: pay is low for retail
Love sports! fun low key Enjoy helping customers and educate on sports that aren't familiar with and get them into the right product.
Went to interview, said max was 37 hours a week
applicant (Former Employee), Binghamton, NYMay 16, 2015
Pros: Got a better Job
Cons: Never have to find out now.
I went to an interview in Binghamton, NY at an industrial park where they returned all the damaged goods from all the stores in the country and where the first store started and they told me the most I could get was 37 hours because they had a study that proved employees were basically worthless after that point. They said the owner or largest shareholder was the son of the founder and he was on drugs and alcohol every day in a small town upstate.
Terrible company to work for, if you're not in upper management.
Sales Support Associate (Current Employee), Harrisonburg, VAMay 15, 2015
Pros: Little notice of schedule updates/changes (For the exciting types)
Cons: Scheduling is not up to par one bit.
A typical day at Dick's Sporting Goods includes the basic retail experience. The main focus for DSG is pushing Customer Service, and Sales. The leadership that the management shows is very poor, as there is very little training, and little-to no experience in upper management. Co-workers are at the usual retail level of education (high school, some college). The most enjoyable part of the job, is the end of the day, as most employees are treated without respect & compassion.
Management Ruined my time here
Apparel Associate (Former Employee), Saginaw, MIMay 15, 2015
Pros: discounts
Cons: i had to quit
Managers were rude, disrespectful, and could care less of the things you needed.
I wouldn't go back even if they begged me.
Coworkers were all awesome though.
Very productive workplace and fun to work with co-workers
Cashier/Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee), Morganton, NCMay 13, 2015
Pros: Free lunches, great management
Cons: Short break times
My typical day as a cashier and sometimes a footwear sales associate at Dick's Sports Goods was a very great experience. My duties as a cashier/footwear sales associate were to operate the register, help customers, sale men, women, and children shoes, put up stock, and displays on the sales floor, clean my workplace, and operate orders through our online website back in the footwear department. By working at Dick's Sporting Goods I learned the different types of hunting games and outdoor games there are, as well as how to sell hunting/fishing licenses. The management that I worked under was very great. All managers were equal to everyone in the workplace as well as very nice. They would not tell you to do something that they wouldn't try to help you do if you needed help. Co-workers that I worked with sometimes would make indirect comments about other co-workers which I thought was very rude. There wasn't really anything to hard at Dick's, besides trying to get to the shoes and items that were very high up for displays. I enjoyed working at Dick's Sporting Goods because the management was outstanding, the job was great, and it's a sporting retail store considering that I play softball and basketball.
Very Nice Work Place
Apparel Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILMay 13, 2015
Pros: A lot of hours. Good pay
Cons: Not very flexible.
Very competitive environment that is very fast paced. My managers were great and my co-workers made it fun. Over all it was great.
Decent money depending on your age, annoying to deal with people
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Midwest City, OKMay 12, 2015
Pros: Commission for credit cards and warranties, benefits if you're full time
Cons: Entitled and rude customers, not enough hours
Dick's Sporting Good's is great if you're freshly out of high school and going into college. As a cashier, you have certain responsibilities like making sure you're executing perfect customer service, keeping an eye out for shady individuals, enforcing polices, signing people up for scorecards (whether they want one or not), asking if people would like to sign up for a credit card, opening/closing the front end, etc. There are many things to do, but you soon get use to them.
Since the store is fairly expensive, you tend to get a lot of high end people in the store. So usually that means dealing with people who have a sense of entitlement; they think they can coerce you into doing something that you have no power or authority to do, and they throw a huge hissy fit. Just call over a CSS or manager.
A CSS is basically a manager in the front. You have to have their code in order to do tax exempts, cash returns, post voids, etc. They typically enforce policy when the customer is exceptionally persistent. At my store, CSS usually was override by key holders or other managers, much to our frustration. That's pretty annoying, because when you tell a customer "we can't do this, it's against policy" and another manager just does it anyways for the sake of "the customer is always right", it makes us look incompetent.
At my store, we had a lot of 18-24 year olds working in the departments. In the front end, we began to have work related drama, which was pretty annoying. Be prepared to have to deal with those people who are still stuck in high school.
Also, reward cards/ scorecards. – more... These are our free rewards program that we offer. Dicks often uses this as a method of selling and letting customers know when we have sales going on. It also sends you coupons, holds a copy of your receipt for ninety days, and for every dollar you spend you get a point, and when you hit 300 points you'll get a ten dollar reward that you can use in store or online, off of anything. It's basically giving you back ten percent of what you spend in store. The annoying part is that you're required to be at a seventy five percent with them. As in if people don't have one, you HAVE to sign them up. I've been told that I couldn't leave when I was scheduled to because I was below a seventy five. I ended up staying over an hour later, which is okay if you want hours, but not okay if you have plans. – less
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Rockford,ILMay 12, 2015
Pros: good coworkers
Footwear sales associate, speaking to customers on a daily basis, knowledge of shoes is the hardest part of the job. Learned a lot about shoes.

1 2 3 4 5

About Dick's Sporting Goods

About Dick's Sporting Goods See Dick's shoppers run, putt, dunk, drive, dribble -- and buy. Fast-growing Dick's Sporting Goods – Read more

Dick's Sporting Goods Salaries