Dick's Sporting Goods

1.6K reviews

Dick's Sporting Goods Employee Reviews

It was alright
Footwear Associate (Former Employee), Gresham, ORAugust 15, 2015
I didn't work there long, but it was a good place to get some retail experience while also going to school. It is a great part time job.
Teams sports lead
Team Sports Lead (Former Employee), Hickory, NCAugust 14, 2015
I was a Team sports lead and also was trained as a bicycle specialist. The job consist of assisting customers in both areas to ensure great customer service along with expert advise with anything involving sports.
Can be very frustrating
Footwear associate (Current Employee), Richmond, KYAugust 14, 2015
The work is not hard, just very frustrating. The company is poorly managed. They do not care about work ethic, or responsibility so your job will be safe regardless, but they do not determine hours based on work ethic, responsibility, etc. If you like sports, most of the customers will be easy and fun to deal with though. It also pays good for an unskilled position. If it weren't for such poor management, I would have very little complaints.
good work place great people to work with
Bike Tech, Sale associate (Former Employee), milford ctAugust 14, 2015
Pros: good hours and easy to learn
Cons: better training
fun environment helpful workers and learned a lot good training but could be a little more training and a little more help would be good as well
not my favorite place
Cashier (Former Employee), Nashville, TNAugust 13, 2015
A typical day at work was checking out customers and offering them warranties and credit options with their purchases. I learned how to multitask my managers were not my favorite group of managers I have ever worked with. They were not as friendly but they were always around to help. My coworkers were friendly and always willing tot fill in for me if need be. The hardest part of the job was knowing that i was putting in 110% and was never going to get rewarded for it. The most enjoyable part was looking at my paycheck.
Great management, fun atmosphere
Golf Sales Associate (Current Employee), Palm Desert, CAAugust 13, 2015
Pros: great managers, fun enviroment
Cons: minimum wage pay, no commissions and not big enough discounts
Working at Dicks is my first time working in the retail environment. It is a fun and easy going atmosphere considering the store sells sports equipment and apparel. In my department, I'm a golf sales and repair associate mostly but I do help out in other departments too. The customers for the most part are in the store buying something for a sport or activity they enjoy doing in their spare time. We don't receive commission, even though I wish we did, but it does make for a less pressurized working conditions which the customers can feel. Overall, it is a fun place to work, there's excellent managers and co-workers. The only thing that would make it a better place to work is if we received commission for larger sales and if we were to get a bigger discount on things we wanted to buy.
Instant Headache Whenever I Walked in the Store
Cashier, Sales Associate (Former Employee), Richmond, VirginiaAugust 13, 2015
Pros: Not Sure If There Were Any
Cons: Low Discount, Management, Lack of GOOD Employees, Management, New Dress Code, Management!
A typical day at work is doing your job plus everyone else's. There's always someone who calls out of work or just doesn't show up (and I mean this happens every day), and management just expects you to pick up their slack. You're stuck at the registers, usually alone, and no one on the floor answers you when you call for back up or ask them a question on the radio.

I learned that you can't rely on anyone there; it's every man for themselves. The new managers are not ideal at all, and the district manager is a cold-hearted person. "The customer is always right" rule definitely applies. Whenever there is an issue with a price or something that a customer wants, management doesn't try to resolve it the right way. They simply just tell the cashier to adjust the price or "take care of the customer", regardless of the price adjustment or the problem.

The co-workers use to be great. But once new management took over the majority of them left and found better opportunities. The new batch of employees do not fit the Dick's Sporting Goods brand at all.

Not a job for someone who is trying to save up money. You won't get enough hours, especially if you're in school. They'll only schedule you once a week when you're availability is 5 days a week. There are no benefits at all! You may get an opportunity to move up in the company, but it's rare! There are better jobs out there!
Typical retail
Golf Club Sales Associate (Former Employee), Carmel, INAugust 12, 2015
Pros: Relaxed Atmosphere
Cons: hours and pay
Dicks Sporting Goods is a typical retail sporting goods store and very fitting for a college student or even a high student. If you can get a good hourly wage when your hired it can be a bonus because you may not get another raise for awhile.
Fast pace work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYAugust 12, 2015
Pros: Discount
Cons: short breaks, understaff
Depending on the store a typical day at work can be easy.
I learned to deal with customers on a first hand experience
Management based on store can range from complete dictatorship to compassionate/understanding.
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers find the right gear for their competition or just day to day workout/training.
Great place to work.
Sales Associate (Storewide) (Former Employee), Cranberry, PAAugust 11, 2015
Retail shift work. Management is good and co-workers are fun. Hardest part is pleasing customers. The company discount is awesome!
Footwear sales associate
Footwear Associate (Former Employee), Bee Cave, TXAugust 9, 2015
I would interact with the customers greeting them and finding out what they liked and disliked as well as expressing my opinion on what would be the best fit for them.
Holiday Worker
Cashier (Former Employee), Fishers, INAugust 9, 2015
I feel I am unable to give a thorough review regarding my short time I spent working for Dick's Sporting Goods. I was a cashier working the holidays, I enjoyed my time while I was there.
OK
Sales Floor/ Bicycle Assembly Lead (Current Employee), Durham, NCAugust 9, 2015
its and OK job I don't really care for it to much, but the schedule is pretty flexible. and the pay is straight but your hours are not consistant every week its a good job for a student
Golf Club Technician (Current Employee), Clarksville, TNAugust 9, 2015
Great work environment. Great management. Very friendly and very customer focused. Always worked with your schedule no matter what you had going on. Great hours.
Typical Retail
Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYAugust 9, 2015
Dick's is a typical retail environment in which your experience is largely determined by who is directly above you. There is a large disconnect between executives at the corporate offices and employees at the store level.
Through the years the management became laxed
Office Coordinator for the Dicks Sporting Goods (Former Employee), Racine, WIAugust 9, 2015
Cons: To much resonsiblities and not enough time to get things done
Enter payroll. Print out job applicants. Order supplies. Print out sales signs. Help out in the warehouse. Schedule departments.
Produtice and fun work place
Footwear Associate (Former Employee), Lisbon CTAugust 7, 2015
Dicks sporting goods is a fun and exciting work place. You get to deal with all types of athletes and hear and learn about their hobbies.
great opportunity.
Footwear Sales Lead (Former Employee), Louisville, KYAugust 7, 2015
helped mold me into an adult. core values. relationships that last a lifetime. was able to pursue my education and able to purchase my own home.
productive and friendly work place
Operations Assistant (Current Employee), Garden City, KSAugust 6, 2015
friendly environment and always lots to do and keep you busy
management always works with you! best job I've had so far, every department employee are very friendly and try to help each other and customers as much as they can, always go out of their way to help.
Productive/fun enviroment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Monaca, PAAugust 5, 2015
Pros: Work around your schedule if you are in school.
Cons: Short breaks
I enjoyed working there, staff was very friendly and would help you out if you didn't know how to do something or understand what computer was asking you to do.
Industry