Dick's Sporting Goods
1,200 reviews

Dick's Sporting Goods Employer Reviews

Hoover location
sales associate (Former Employee), Hoover, AlDecember 1, 2014
Pros: good breaks, work with your schedule
Cons: a lot of extra walking and doesn't train properly
Honestly it's a good job but however my review Is the store manager, this guy Is very unprofessional and very rude I usually don't review on jobs but this one really touched a nerve!.I'm all for respect and all but once you start talking to me like I'm a dog then cooperate or head chief needs to know what type of person is working for their company.I – more... myself feel this store lacks communication and lack respect if I known the "head coach"was such an ### then I would not have applied! .p.s. good luck If you're looking for someone who cares about his associates – less
Over all good company
Under Armour Coordinator (Current Employee), Kennesaw, GANovember 30, 2014
Over all good company, some stores better than others based on management teams.
Fun and hardwork
General Sports Manager (Sales Manager) (Former Employee), Nashua, NHNovember 30, 2014
It's a retail management position, you know what you sign up for. The hours are long and get worse during the holidays, but it is a lot of fun if you're willing to work. Dealing with people and managing associates was great for me and a new task every day.
Fun Place to work
Cashier/Guest Services (Former Employee), Victorville, CaNovember 30, 2014
Managers try to accommodate school schedules. Co- workers are usually friendly but everyone has an off day. I learned how to keep a smile on my face. I do not agree with cashiers getting written up for being on the clock too long because supervisors fail to pull the drawer.
Hectic
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee), Tinley Park, ILNovember 25, 2014
Pros: good company with motivated management.
Cons: lack of manpower
Especially around the holidays, some days we would receive more than double the amount of merchandise than usual. Early hours, and not having a set schedule for the most part was hard to deal with. But i feel that I learned a lot during my time there.
great retail store to work for if your into sports like myself
Customer Service (Former Employee), Milford, CTNovember 24, 2014
My typical day at work consisted of ringing customers out at my personal register or the customer service desk, also i would attend to customers when they needed to find a specific item, i learned how to operate a cash register at this job, my co-workers were great people who were looking to better there opportunity at work just like i was, hardest – more... part of the job was standing up for 8 hours, my most enjoyable part of the job was helping out customers with finding items they desperately wanted and knowing that i was able to help them be happy at the end of the day. – less
stressful, poorly managed, low paying
Freight Flow Lead (Former Employee), Princeton, NJNovember 24, 2014
Pros: employee discount
Cons: management, pay, stress, hours, work environment
By far the worst company I have ever worked for. Terrible management, terrible pay, stressful work environment. Long hours, very tedious, disorganized company,
Corporate job downsizing
PGA Golf Professional (Former Employee), Charleston, SCNovember 23, 2014
DICK'S Sporting Goods terminated all PGA Golf pro's nationwide (500 pro's) in July 2014 as a necessary option to move golf sales in a new and more economic direction.
Great company
Sr. Human Resources Information System Analyst (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 21, 2014
Good place to work. Great talent and good people. Fast paced and growing environment.
Fun sports environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCNovember 21, 2014
 Assist customers by providing information and resolving their complaints.
 Greet customers entering establishments.
 Maintain clean and orderly checkout areas and complete other general cleaning duties, such as mopping floors and emptying trash cans.
 Receive payment by cash, check, credit cards, vouchers, or automatic debits.
Constantly working with customers constantly working on customer service and learning about new products
Sales associate (Former Employee), Kansas City MONovember 18, 2014
Pros: being able to sell merchandise that i was passionate about, helping people, store discoount
Cons: not enough hours on regular basis, not high enough pay
My daily work day at Dicks Sporting Goods would be to pull merchandise from the back stock and restock my department while helping any customers with any questions that they would have on any of the products that we sold. I worked in most of the departments in the store, but my main two departments were the lodge department, dealing with camping, hunting, – more... fishing, snow and water sports, and firearms and the outerwear department dealing with outdoor activewear for both warm and cold weather and being able to help a customer pair their outerwear with the sport that the sport that was their passion. – less
Fun place to work.
Team Sports Associate/ Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee), Ashland, KYNovember 17, 2014
Dick's is a fun place to work with a nice environment. Management will help you out with any troubles with schedule such as school. Hours can be hard to come by but it is still nice there. Management is very friendly and care about the employees.
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Melbourne, FLNovember 17, 2014
Pros: the people
Cons: the pay
A typical day would be to make sure everything in the Footwear Department looked presentable and handle customer service. I learned how to multi-task and to stay professional, even when customers would give me a hard time. Management there was good, I got along with everybody. The co-workers just made showing up to work fun, throughout a typical workday – more... there would always be something to laugh about. The hardest part about leaving was, leaving the people I had known for the time I was there. The most enjoyable part was showing up and doing the job. – less
Fast paced retail environment, with high expectations to meet metrics.
Operations/Sales Support Key Carrying Lead (Current Employee), Maple Grove, MNNovember 16, 2014
Pros: employee discount
Cons: turnover, lack of comminication
I am usually at the store in the morning doing tasks that must be done before store open. Tasks include ensuring cash office accuracy, firearm audits, coming up with projects for opening employees, and processing ship from store orders that must be sent out in the afternoon. We receive a truck about two days a week, so on those days I focus on freight – more... flow and making sure product is merchandised and priced within 24 hours. As a key-carrying lead, I am able to open and close the store if a manager cannot. Therefore, I have learned and performed many tasks that managers are asked to do when I am leading the store on my own.
The hardest part about the job is the turnover among managers and employees. I have had 8 store managers in 7 years and around 30-40 sales managers. The inconsistency of leadership in the store has had a negative effect on the culture and persistent problems with communication.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction with employees and customers. My position allows me to develop other employees and ensure high satisfaction for customers. I have been able to conduct interviews and train new employees, teaching them company best practices and various everyday tasks.
Over my years at Dick's I have learned about the...
- evolution of customer service, and practices at the store level
- what it takes to work in a fast paced environment
- e-commerce within the stores
- training and developing employees
- resolving customer service issues
- dealing with high turnover – less
Typical Day In Retail
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee), Milford CTNovember 15, 2014
There is never really a dull moment being in the retail business, you always learn new things, and you constantly meet new faces. I learned the only way to balance great customer service and finishing your game plans is to, stop everything you're doing and get the customer everything he/she needs in a fashionably timing manor. The only way to give great – more... customer service is to, find out the exact need of the customer, and making sure their needs are met before they reach the checkout or before the exit the store. My job was to be the "helper". I love helping people, whether what they need help in is big or small. No job is too big for a person who sets no limits. Being able to work with coworkers is a plus. Its like they become part of your family. You don't have to like people to work with them, but team work makes the dream work! The hardest part of the job is not being able to meet the needs of customers due to inventory of the merchandise. The most enjoyable part is knowing that we don't have the product the customer is looking for, but being able to best match the product with a similar product we do have. I love to be the helper who is determined to make the customers leave happy and make their time with me the most memorable. Customers first , they are always right! – less
Fun yet unorganized
Lodge Lead/Apparel Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Lake Charles, LANovember 13, 2014
Working at Dicks Sporting Goods is a fun environment to work in but they expect you to consider work your number one priority. If you are in school they don't want you to think it's as important as your job. They can't keep employees. The scheduling is hardly ever right. They are always having to fix it.
Assistant Buyer/Buyer
Assistant Buyer/Buyer (Former Employee), Coraopolis, PANovember 13, 2014
• Responsible for analyzing, forecasting performance, and plans to look for sales, margin, and turn opportunities that can exceed plan.
• Develop merchandise for assortments by category.
• Communicate & coordinate with planners, allocators, eCommerce, marketing/visual, and advertising department.
• Work with stores to make sure they are set up and help – more... them with sales to achieve their goals during key time frame.
• Manage Open to Buy, ladder plans, vendor plans, pricing, markdowns, e3, allocations, and backstock.
• Work with the Advertising Department on strategies and plans and Marketing/Visual Department on floor plans.
• Negotiate with vendors to develop merchandise with the best price, quality, communication, and partnership.
• Keep up on changes, market and consumer trends, and reorders.
• Train the new merchandising trainees: I play a vital role in their education and development to help their future.
• Work with top vendors: Under Armour, Nike, Adidas, New Balance, Asics, and Reebok. – less
I enjoyed my other employees.
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee), York, PANovember 12, 2014
I liked working there with my other employees and the costumers.
Fantastic
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Winston-Salem, NCNovember 10, 2014
Loved the Job! Loved the Staff! Worked very well and effectively with one another.
Excellent place to work
Team Lead/Manager (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALNovember 9, 2014
I have enjoyed working for this company. The opportunity to advance in this field has been very simple and easy. With my educational background, hard work, determination, and relentless amount of energy and organizational skills, this place has plenty of room for advancement. The district manager wants me to advance to be a store manager at a new store – more... that will be opening up in Tuscaloosa.
I manage around 7 different employees in my department. This number is about to increase especially since it is getting close to the holidays and we will be hiring part-time holiday workers. I have come to realize that I feel more comfortable in a managing position than an average employee. I feel comfortable giving direction to the employees under me and figuring out different ways to display our product in order to increase sales.
I am able to go into the system and see exactly what we are selling and what we are not in order to better advertise different product and analyze sales in general. I am very much a number person and base most of my decisions of how things should be done based off of these sales numbers.
I have been able to give direction and teach the employees how to go about dealing with upset customers or handling any sort of difficult situation, such as mismatched shoes.
I have organized the entire back stock of women's, men's, and kid's shoes/cleats in a way that is easy for any person in the store to go into the back to find a pair of shoes. I am very much an organized person. It is crucial in this business to be organized because when it comes to inventory time or when we have a ship from store order, or even claims, we need to be able to find the product.
I love working with my coworkers, they are easy to get along with and they all respect me as an individual and are easy to manage. One of my coworkers actually told me that he had matured a lot every since I became the lead of the department which meant a lot to me and says a lot about my managing skills.
The hardest part of the job is trying to fix kinks in the system and getting all the employees on the same page since I do not always work with every single one of them. Communication is the ultimate key for this success and it's hard to do when you are not personally working with them, so leaving notes is the best solution to this.
I have enjoyed this position a lot and I have learned a lot about myself while being in this managing position. – less

About Dick's Sporting Goods

See Dick's shoppers run, putt, dunk, drive, dribble -- and buy. Fast-growing Dick's Sporting Goods operates about 480 stores in 40-plus – Read more

Dick's Sporting Goods Photos