Dick's Sporting Goods Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,000 reviews matching the search
Terrible and unprofessional workplace
Associate (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CAJuly 18, 2016
I've worker at DSG for almost a year and I'm already over it. The pay is terrible and the management is even worse! They really try to take advantage of you or don't. Majority of the leads get bored and start to gossip like its high school. I've been Associate of the Month for 5 months and I only get 10 hours a week. HOW FUN.
Pros
The other associates are fun
Cons
Benefits, pay, managers
Dicks sporting goods was a great place to work in the beginning
Apparel Lead (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 26, 2016
In the beginning of my time at dicks it was amazing. My manger was really nice and always open to promoting and helping people advance. After a few years he left and another manger came, she mad the store an awful place to work. She was very rude and talked down to many employees. She was the reason i left dicks sporting goods. I told her i planned on going back to school and she made me step down out of my position that i worked 7 years to get into.she also took my pay down tremendously which caused me to leave the company after so long,
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
Fun environment for people with knowledge in sports
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYMay 25, 2016
As a sales representative for the Team Sports, Golf, and Fitness departments, I was able to assist any customer with any questions they had in a broad spectrum of the sporting industry.

Maintaining high customer service was the main goal of the job, while demonstrating a high level of knowledge to exceed customer expectations.
Pros
Working in a place I loved in departments I enjoyed.
Cons
Short staffed at many times.
Horrible.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMay 24, 2016
The management sucked and they enjoyed picking little things to fire people over. The people I worked with were good and the overall job as a cashier wasn't hard. My schedule was never as I asked considering I was a full time student (IE. Would schedule me during my classes, even when I filled out numerous availability sheets). Pay wasn't terrible but wasn't worth what you had to deal with considering the managers didn't care about anyone but themselves.
Pros
Decent employee discount
Cons
Horrible management
Horrible managers.
Apparel Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXMay 22, 2016
The management here is HORRIBLE. All the managers are childish, will talk about you to other associates behind your back, are not nice when it comes to taking any time off, always have favorites, treats older employees with way more respect than the younger ones, expect you to come in every time they call you in, even if you have requested off, and do NOT follow the corporate rules that are set in place for a reason.
Cons
Short breaks, horrible management
Fun place to work but management can be difficult
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYAugust 15, 2016
Typical day is dealing with customers and making sure everything runs smoothly. Coworkers are good but a few prefer not to do what they were hired for. Management can be laid back and most of the time its good but sometimes it means things don't get done.
Pros
benefits for full time, atmosphere
Cons
certain managers, flexibility
Price and Signage Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 15, 2016
Price and Signage Coordinator.

Conducted weekly departmental audits, and reported scores directly to store managers; combed through individual items in the store, assuring pricing and signage on each floor were correct.

Audits were on a pass or fail scoring system. If failed, the department must correct mistakes, and be prepared to pass the following weeks audit.
Pros
Acquired great knowledge of each brand and product in store
Cons
Audits took 7 hours to complete
Retail assiocate
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Millville, NJJuly 18, 2016
helping customers
working and being with the customers and building that relationship with customers and keep bringing them back.
management is good just have a lot of managers
co-works are really fun to be around and provide a positive attitude.
nothing hard about it.
Cleaning up and making sure everything looks neat before i leave to go home.
Basic retail company
Apparel Associate (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COMay 14, 2016
It took me many months to learn basic procedures at this company. Management was never available, they were rarely their to help resolve any issues or conflicts of scheduling. If you needed to call out; you would be guilted and harrassed. They would force you to give an acceptable reason for not showing up to work.
There was no opportunity to learn or be taught new things; it took 8-years for the Apparel lead to be promoted to HR.

The customers and work environment is good; but the management structure and employees are the issue.
Pros
Team environment
Cons
Management, No benefits, No flexibility.
Cool job, bad management and corporate
Bikes and Fitness/Lodge and Camping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  West Covina, CAAugust 12, 2016
Im a supervisor with Dicks and let me tell you, you dont want to work for most of the stores. Very few stores have good store managers, and the district managers are horrible. The west covina store is the worst. Stay for away from west covina store.
Pros
Product experience
Cons
Bad management, bad corporate

Want to know more about Dick's Sporting Goods?

Ask a question
Footwear
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  West Springfield, MAJuly 11, 2016
Helping people figure out what shoes they need. Learned how people run. Management is good. Co workers help out and work as a team. The hardest part is probably up selling another product most times the customer isn't interested. Helping customers and working as a team makes my day at work worth it.
Pros
Team Building and helping customers
Cons
Call outs / recovering
Good Short Term Summer Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMay 7, 2016
Dick's Sporting Goods has a very friendly and relaxed working environment. All of the employees show respect for one-another and are able to work together without issues. A typical day (depending on the shift and department) usually entailed unloading the morning truck and restocking the floor before open. It was important to make sure the floor stayed clean and organized and each customer was greeted and assisted. Management was friendly, reasonable, and enjoyable to work with.
Pros
Great Employees
Cons
Little opportunity for raise/ advancement
Great Place to Work
Freight Flow Lead (Current Employee) –  Sandusky, OHJuly 18, 2016
Great place to work and friendly and personable managers. Ranking very high in the district most of the time, the managers know what they are doing and can task very well. Unfortunately my position makes it hard to advance and the benefits offered are poor.
Pros
Great management, excellent environment
Cons
Poor benefits, difficult to advance
Dick's was a transition job for me after the Marine Corps
Lodge and Hunting Department/Lodge Lead (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCJuly 23, 2016
I was quickly promoted through the Lodge department. Overall, management was fair. During my employment our store went through multiple general managers and staff turnover.
Pros
Quick promotions and raises for hard work
Cons
multiple changes in management and staff
Fun yet professional environment.
Apparel/Cashier/Customer Service/ (Current Employee) –  Brooksville, FLApril 22, 2016
A typical day at Dick's Sporting Goods always started out with a morning team meeting to discuss each employee's personal goals for the day. Working here with so many amazing unique people I was able to learn a lot and take something from each and every one of them to improve my day to day customer service skills. I would have to say the hardest part of my job was taking on five departments getting crossed trained, though also the most enjoyable.
Pros
The biggest pro would be the 25% discount the company gives to the employees.
Cons
The only con I would say is the company doesn't offer much room for full time.
was not the worst place to work but it wasnt the best.
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOAugust 11, 2016
working at Dicks we were short handed a lot on staff which made the job hard. The managers were hard to work with and was sometimes rude. The rest of the staff that worked there we're all nice people and fun to work with.
Pros
The managers would work with you on your schedule
Cons
had no benefits
Friendly work environment
Retail Sales (Current Employee) –  Freehold, NJMay 20, 2016
Employees help each other out when needed. Everyone helps with the phones. It can get pretty busy. In apparel, customers most of the time leave stuff in the fitting rooms. Customers also return things that we have to put back out. On days we have a truck we do our best to put everything out from the truck that day.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
can have bad customers
Great work enviroment
Front-End Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAJuly 28, 2016
Dick's Sporting Goods was a fun company to work for. I had great relationships with my coworkers and my customers. Although it was pretty difficult to move up in the company, I learned a vast amount about management and the importance of communication. Love the credit card and protection plan benefits.
Customers with similar interests.
Team Sports Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYApril 18, 2016
A typical day involved speaking to customers all day, assessing their wants and needs and suggesting certain products based on desired spending range, quality needed, and more. I learned a lot about sports that I had never known much about at all, as well as sports that I have always been passionate about. A lot of the day was spent interacting with co-workers to assist them in finding products, information about products, or working on floor projects. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping a father find his son his ideal first baseball glove or first set of football pads and see the excitement within the child.
Was Fun
Store Management (Current Employee) –  MAJuly 7, 2016
All depending on upper management, More Conference calls and emails than are necessary. More store managers need micro management so all of us get it. Used to be a fun place to work, now it is a punishment. We are never told if we are doing a good job. But we always told that we are not doing enough. This comes from upper management .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dick's Sporting Goods. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9