Dick's Sporting Goods

Dick's Sporting Goods Employee Reviews

Found 1,761 reviews matching the search
Fun, Vibrant and Enjoyable Workplace with staff that's a second family
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MIMay 22, 2015
Working at Dicks Sporting Goods was not only enjoyable but also a fun place to work. I worked back in the footwear department, and knew a lot about all the different types of shoes that were sold at my location. I am a runner and also played soccer for many years so those were my specialty area's.
On a typical day I would make signs for the shoes and displays, put away any backstock as well as organize all backstock. I answered multi line phones and transfered them to the department they needed. I was very organized and that helped on busy days. I also helped unload the trucks on mornings they came in. Helped other departments when they needed it. Always made sure every customer left with a smile and also made sure that if we didn't have what they were looking for that I could help direct them to where they could find it.
I learned a lot from my job at Dicks Sporting Goods regarding other sports and equipment. I loved my co-workers they were like a second family to me. The hardest part of the job was just managing time to finish everything before my shift was over, I always pulled through though and did it very organized. The most enjoyable part of my job was just my job in general and the people I worked with. I loved what I did and wished it went full time before I left but I really enjoyed every moment I spend working with my co-workers and customers.
Productive company overall, needs improvement in work place environment and compenstion standards.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lake CharlesMay 19, 2014
A typical day working at Dick's Sporting Goods for me personally entails daily entries of store shrinkage, company fiscal reports, and employee information updates electronically as well as manually. I also maintain employees time clock punches, new hire selections and job postings, interview scheduling, and many other HR related endeavors. Including the day to day needs of upper level management such as running errands or any other assistance needed. By juggling the many tasks I have become accustomed to I have learned a great deal about the inner workings of a company financially and managerially. I do feel that the management internally could be run in a more organized and sufficient manner. My co-workers for the most part are dedicated and hard working individuals. The hardest part of my job is the high demand for certain tasks to be completed in very short periods of time, I am often handling more than one task at a time. Luckily the same thing that makes my job difficult is the very thing that is most enjoyable for me. I thrive under pressure and love facing a challenge. I believe that being challenged in the work place betters you as an employee as well as a person.
Pros
exposure to knowledge in hr and fiscal reports
Cons
compenstion, benefits
Horrible Management
Cashier & Front End Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 1, 2015
I worked here for about 5 months, the first month was okay. After working there I found the management to be horrible, first off as a cashier you have to keep the score card amount up above a specific amount. The managers focused so hard on that to where they didn't care about the customers, employees or the customer service. All they wanted was you to keep the score cards up. Some managers even cheated to do so by signing customers up without there permission, even if they said no they don't want one and don't have one they would begin the enrollment and ask them for phone number email and address and more. They pushed it so hard that if they gave there name an zip they would pull up an account and even if it didn't belong to them or there family they would use that account for that customer anyways. They would get really upset if you didn't make the quota and would publicly make it known by announcing the lowest scorer on the radios. Also they would schedule you for times you clearly placed you weren't available for even after placing that in the system online. They also were very under staffed and unorganized. They also clearly chose favorites among the staff and most cashiers walked away and disappeared for a while leaving one cashier in front.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Terrible management, co-workers, employee favoring.
Quick paced energetic place to work.
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, TNJanuary 27, 2015
On a typical day I can be all over the board, we can be calm and steady paced with customers throughout the day. Or we can be exceedingly busy, with many different things happening at once. During the course of the week I am typically managing the entire cashiering and customer service are independently, ranging from regular ringing customer up to running fishing licenses, as well as keeping up with phone calls. I am also responsible for the opening and or closing of store's cash office area, handling deposits, arranging register drawers, filing, inputting info into the computer system. Weekends I generally am still managing front end as well managing other coworkers on front end and customer service in addition to previous stated duties. I've learned a number of different talents and skills anywhere from managing nearly any customer issue, to simple store operations, counting large quantities of money quickly, organization skills, great multitasking ability, management of others, etc. The hardest part of this retail based job is the never consistent job schedule, up and down hours. The most enjoyable part is being able to find out what the customer needs and help them in as many way possible to achieve that.
Pros
good benefits, fun enviroment
Cons
poor advancement opportunities
Don't make a career out of it
Freight Flow Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Macon, GADecember 7, 2012
When I first started with this company it was all about taking care of the customer. Then some corporate big wigs came up with useless programs and marketing ideas that cost the company millions of dollars which they decided to make up for it by cutting back on payroll which kills all customer service by taking all employees time with tasks. There is no such thing as a full time job at this company. I am considered full time and one of the most knowledgeable employees my store has and my hours have slowly dropped to under 30 per week. Other full timers have dropped to almost 20. The pay is not very good as you start just over minimum wage unless you have a decent amount of experience but the raises only come once a year and the most you can get is 5 percent but the store average across the board has to be 3 percent so your if you work really hard at $10 an hour you may get a $.40 raise. My stores management is great and has great people to work with but with corporate people sitting in a cubicle having never step foot in a store controlling everything you do and expecting you to perform miracles it's not fun anymore. This job is great for someone needing a part time job to work around school but don't make a career out of it.
Pros
not much anymore
Cons
low pay. no hours. hard to move up unless you're willing to relocate.
Very productive workplace and fun to work with co-workers
Cashier/Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Morganton, NCMay 13, 2015
My typical day as a cashier and sometimes a footwear sales associate at Dick's Sports Goods was a very great experience. My duties as a cashier/footwear sales associate were to operate the register, help customers, sale men, women, and children shoes, put up stock, and displays on the sales floor, clean my workplace, and operate orders through our online website back in the footwear department. By working at Dick's Sporting Goods I learned the different types of hunting games and outdoor games there are, as well as how to sell hunting/fishing licenses. The management that I worked under was very great. All managers were equal to everyone in the workplace as well as very nice. They would not tell you to do something that they wouldn't try to help you do if you needed help. Co-workers that I worked with sometimes would make indirect comments about other co-workers which I thought was very rude. There wasn't really anything to hard at Dick's, besides trying to get to the shoes and items that were very high up for displays. I enjoyed working at Dick's Sporting Goods because the management was outstanding, the job was great, and it's a sporting retail store considering that I play softball and basketball.
Pros
Free lunches, great management
Cons
Short break times
You are a drone, a cheap drone
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Mishawaka, INJune 23, 2013
Dick's Sporting Goods survives on the backs of under-trained employees and a high markup on most of its products. Of the retailers I have worked for or have been involved with, this is the only large company that does not utilize a night crew for stock, and associates have no ability to order the merchandise in their store, nor posses any knowledge of what merchandise is due to arrive.

Most associates are hired in at or around minimum wage, with almost no promise to ever advance, or receive a respectable pay raise.

Dick's is also obsessed with figures and statistics. They cite these ad nauseum. Management is usually so concerned with daily metrics, they often ignore the needs of customers and associates alike. A credit card or warranty sale receives far more attention and praise than repeat business or a happy customer.

A typical day here is essentially disassembling what you or your coworker did the day before, reassembling it some different way somewhere else, all while covering all of the other positions they spread so thinly. Resets are a daily occurrence, and task lists are monstrous.

Many DSG associates are often reprimanded or punished for providing customer service, as it interferes with your daily reset.
Cons
low pay, poor company culture, incompetent management, resets

Comment – July 12, 2013

They are horrible people to work for. These people only care about the metrics, they dont care what the customers want or how the employees feel. i only got 5 hours for 3 street weeks n got in trouble for talking about it!! They forced me to get food stamps and tca because i was so dirt poor n they NEVER cared i have a baby!!

Fun place to work at. More project focused than customer service
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Northwest regionJuly 26, 2013
The benefits for a part time employee are horrible. If they like you and there is no full time positions open. They will work you full time and then cut your hours every 12 weeks. As part time...medical is expensive for bad coverage and unlike walmart and Target there is no accumulative vacation time. A typical day at work is hearing how you should be customer service focused to drive sales, raise score cards percentage and etc. In reality, they want you to get all these projects done first. If it's busy the store is more than likely under staffed. Corporate doesn't seem to have a clue as to what they're doing because when they make a plan and send it out to stores they change there mind and make you re-do it twice or they dont send you the product or fixtures needed for it. Which waste more time and money. Also, they try to recycle but they use crazy amounts of paper by folding shirts with copier paper. All around, co workers are good people. Managers are good workers that should get compensated more. They work harder and work way more than 40 a week but corporate is run by people who just graduated Business School and have never worked as an associate in a retail store in there life.
Pros
25% off discount
Cons
this job is for college kids that need extra cash
Great People, I really enjoy helping others.
Price and Signage Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Morehead City, NCJanuary 2, 2014
My job duties for Price and Signage Coordinator can be overwhelming at times. However I enjoy the busy work schedule. There are set tasks that need to be done on each day, and that never changes at all. Besides the normal duties of this position ( ensure all items in the store are accurately priced, correct signs are up for specified items, and to audit each section to ensure that price accuracy is at %100), I am responsible for the graphics for each department and have to set up the displays for each section / brand graphics that need to be displayed. And the best part of it all is the Customer Service. Part of my duties is to ensure that any customer(s) that I see are being taken care of, and if the item they are looking for is not in the store then I will try and order it from the website. The hardest part of the job is my hours constantly being cut. When you get a schedule and it shows 32 hours for that week, and by weeks end almost %40 of those hours have been taken away due to lack of payroll. However the best part of the job is interacting with customers, meeting new people, and to see a customer leave the store with a smile on his/her face to me is Priceless.
Pros
meet new people on a consistent basis
Cons
hours constantly getting cut due to lack of payroll.
Typical Day In Retail
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Milford CTNovember 15, 2014
There is never really a dull moment being in the retail business, you always learn new things, and you constantly meet new faces. I learned the only way to balance great customer service and finishing your game plans is to, stop everything you're doing and get the customer everything he/she needs in a fashionably timing manor. The only way to give great customer service is to, find out the exact need of the customer, and making sure their needs are met before they reach the checkout or before the exit the store. My job was to be the "helper". I love helping people, whether what they need help in is big or small. No job is too big for a person who sets no limits. Being able to work with coworkers is a plus. Its like they become part of your family. You don't have to like people to work with them, but team work makes the dream work! The hardest part of the job is not being able to meet the needs of customers due to inventory of the merchandise. The most enjoyable part is knowing that we don't have the product the customer is looking for, but being able to best match the product with a similar product we do have. I love to be the helper who is determined to make the customers leave happy and make their time with me the most memorable. Customers first , they are always right!
Even if you know the industry it's hard to get anywhere.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAJanuary 26, 2015
I have a degree in sports medicine. I know a lot about feet and gait analysis/kinesiology. I went in with a BA and an Associates degree (unrelated field) and yet I felt like I was treated like I knew nothing.

The days were ok, don't get me wrong if you like sports this is a good place to work but don't expect to get many hours (I got no more than 13 a week). It's fun though, the coworkers are nice and the management of the store is cool however upper management has some mean people who don't seem to really care.

Hardest part of the job? The customers. Some parents want their kids to join the NFL and be professional baseball players so many are high strung. Most are really cool and I LOVED meeting new people but some were tough.

Best part of the job is probably getting to show your prowess. It's egotistical but I love showing what I know to people.

Overall Dicks isn't bad, it's just the upper management seems to not care about people like me. Also the pay stunk, I knew more than my bosses but got a lot less than they did.

PS: the store management (head coaches) are actually really cool. I know my boss would've paid me more if he could it's the upper management.
Pros
passionate co-workers, nice head coaches
Cons
underpaid, crazy customers (sometimes)
Long hours but a lot of fun in a great environment with great co-workers
Team Sports Associate (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 23, 2013
Dick's is a great place to work, unfortunately it allows for very little work/life balance. I had a lot of fun while working there, we were always striving to be the best and not allow other companies like Bass Pro, Cabela's, Academy, REI, and Sports Authority beat us or take our customers. To do this was tough, and required a lot of extra hours. I think that poor culture came from the executives at the corporate office. We would get emails stating they were adding new managers and creating new positions all the time, but never adding payroll to the stores. We would also get direction changes all the time, the company culture is unstable. My Store Manager was great, he always stayed positive with us and kept the culture competitive, yet fun. Our District Manager and District Loss Prevention Manager were a lot of fun, they were both very easy to talk to and were always teaching us new things and appreciative. My store did have a visit from someone important, I think an executive, and he was very rude and did not smile or talk to very many of us.

I left this job due to transferring to another college
Pros
fun, cool brands, great management
Cons
company culture and executive management
Great organization to work for. Worked there for five years and develop great relationships.
Warehouse Lead shipping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  East Point, GAJuly 14, 2014
My recommendations would be a good place to work. Everyday a new challenge in a industry that is constantly changing and growing. The training you received is first class and the associates look forward in learning new and better ways to improve their work performance. Your success with this company is in the hands of the associates, how well they can follow policy and procedures determine their future . Great people to work with that knows their job. Do to job turn over make the work challenging for one to do their job effectively.
. Upper management don't understand what problem supervisors,and leads are faced with on the floor, due to the turnover problem. The lack of sensitivity cause an effect in the moral of the team. However attitude will pull anyone through adversity , that what makes the job so rewarding when you can rise above understanding. The attitude on the floor is" Get it Done". teamwork makes the scheme work. When things get difficult co-workers really rally and come together, making the work place enjoyable to work.
Pros
excellence organization
Cons
director of operation/ hr-dept. need improving
Enjoyable environment and customer interaction with occasional management communication issues
Cashiering and retail sales (Former Employee) –  OrlandoOctober 16, 2014
A typical day started off by counting your money drawer, making sure your work space was in order, and then checking out customers. When the rush would die down the job consisted of teaming up with other department employees, or other employees that were cashiering alongside you, and doing miscellaneous jobs; Hanging up go-backs, putting sensors on things, replenishing the refreshments in the front, ect. I felt that communication with management was off at times, considering that we would have 1-4 managers on duty at a time. Aside from the occasional communication hiccup, I enjoyed the position very much. I have to say my favorite part of it was being able to meet people that made you fall in love with them withing thirty seconds. I met some of the most special and giving people and that job in particular taught me how a simple few kind words can change your day, and how you feel about yourself. Overall it was an extremely rewarding experience and I feel like I learned a lot about myself, as well as interaction in the professional setting.
Pros
good work environment, great team of people
Cons
lack of communication
Decent job
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 10, 2015
Working at DSG is not bad. Depending on the store, the management engages its associates well. They set up little incentives to get the most credit card sign ups, like a $10 gift card for every 5 you get or other items like that. Safe work environment as well.

A typical day for a cashier is to clock in, get your till and get your register and prepare for the customers. If its slow, prepare to clean or straighten areas close to your register, like apparel or footwear. The hardest part of the job is when customers come in with many coupons and want you to use them all on their purchases, but when you tell them you cannot, they complain to management, which usually sides with the customer all because they want to keep their "customers" (and making you look like the bad guy, or don't know what you're doing).

The downside I had was there wasn't any advancement. Store managers will always push for more metrics, even if you are signing up customers, or getting credit card sign ups. They will say "its not enough". With past management experience, this is how you create turnover and lose your valuable employees.
Pros
safe work environment, clean store, pay is decent.
Cons
no advancement, not very flexable with scheduling.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, New YorkJuly 26, 2013
I was with this company for six years and the only negative comments go towards drama between other associates and store management. Although management wise outside of the store and great people, the turnover rate for employees at this particular store is outrageous compared to other companies and it is because of management. They receieve orders from the top and pass them down to the subordinates, however there needs to be motivation, goal-setting, to really drive your employees to want to succeed. When you are told trained monkeys could do your job and if you dont want to be here you are replaceable, that doesn't motivate me, its a setup for failure. Although in the six years I was there, I tried to not let the negativities of that store affect me, I knew this wasn't the company that I wanted to contiune advancing with. I couldn't make the money I knew I deserved because management wouldn't allow it and at this point I had my degree so it was time to search for better opportunities. I made great friends working for that company and before it became a corporation that company was the best! You had fun while you were at work, it wasn't just strictly business and all about numbers.
Fun workplace with great employees and managers
Cashier/ Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 12, 2015
I love working at Dicks Sporting Goods, it's great wearing work out clothes to work. I have been with the company for 19 months and I have enjoyed it even with the busy weekends and different events going on through the store. A typical day at work would be ringing out customers in a timely fashion and make sure they use their Scorecard to get points from their purchase. If they do not have a Scorecard, it is my job to get them one because its free and helps them get coupons. I have learned how to be patient and deal under pressure when it becomes really busy on the weekends. I love all four of my managers, they all help out when they can in whatever department needs it. I also love my co workers, they are some of the most down to earth people I have met and they are the reason why my shifts go by so fast and become fun. The hardest part of the job is to balance all the customers who need help when its the weekend because that is when we are the busiest. The most enjoyable part of the job is when everyone works together and we reach our sales goal for the day because of that.
Pros
wear exercise clothes as the uniform.
Cons
not enough hours for all the departments.
Fun job, management not up to par
Lodge Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chico, CASeptember 2, 2014
I worked as a lodge associate in the hunting/fishing/camping department and loved the lifestyle behind the products I was selling since that's why I got the job in the first place. My particular store was brand new and started working there before the doors opened. Everything about this company is on a trickle down effect. Being the bottom of the totem pole as a hourly associate, different managers would give completely different orders that always seemed to conflict with everyone. Their were three managers at my store, the general manager, the hard lines manager and the apparel manager. All three came from different workplace backgrounds and were all new to Dick's Sporting Goods. One manager would cry and throw a fit over a product display, we would change it, then the district managers would see it when they visited, make us change it back, and then when they left the manager would make us switch it back again! I enjoyed the work, easy and fun job, but this company has a large turnover rate for a reason. It's not lousy employees, its ill-suited management.
Pros
i got to sell firearms
Cons
always had someone breathing down my neck even though i made efficient outcomes
Great "First Job" Opportunity
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  West Nyack, NYAugust 11, 2014
Dick's Sporting Goods is an excellent retail employment opportunity for young adults looking to develop their professional customer skills, but it is not the best working experience for tenured retail workers looking to advance and make a living in a department store environment. With a high turnover rate and underdeveloped hiring model, employee retention rates are low and you'll likely use Dick's as a launch pad for other career opportunities rather than as a home base for long-term employment.

Employee training, promotion structure, and operational programs are all very nebulous and poorly developed. However, day-to-day requirements are fun and easy, whether you're running a register or moving merchandise. Don't be too complacent, however, or else you'll spend too much time making too little money year after year, seeking reviews only once per year and suffering a poor full-time benefits structure which include one week's vacation after a year of service, no 401k matching incentive program, and zero paid personal/sick days.
Pros
fun work environment, easy responsibilities
Cons
bleak advancement structure, poor full-time benefits package
Great work environment and staff
Administrator and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 27, 2014
I assisted many customer's in the best choices for athletic apparel. Prior to that I assisted my internal customer's with payroll questions and HR support.

I truly embraced my interpersonal skills while I was with Dick's Sporting Goods. I was able to have many relative and serious conversations with my co-workers regarding process and time.

Management was also always very supportive. I truly felt that I could approach all members of management in regards to anything, big or small.

I worked along side a great bunch of people. From young college kids to older adults working a second job to just make ends meet. The spectrum was great which made each day different and dynamic.

The most difficult part of my job was making sure that every internal co-worker was taken care of in regards to their correct hours worked and benefits owed. I embraced that challenge to every extent and succeeded.

Once again, the most enjoyable part of my time at Dick's Sporting Goods was involving my co-workers and management team. It was a fun and light-hearted environment at all times. The energy was always positive.
Pros
great work environment energy
Cons
wages