Dick's Sporting Goods Employee Reviews

Found 2,574 reviews matching the search
unproductive and frustrating
Sales Associate/LAX Specialist (Current Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAJanuary 6, 2017
You cannot get any goals set here because they top people in corporate are always cutting hours so they can get a raise. When you bring this issue up they fire you. They also fire employees for using coupons that managers tell the cashiers to use. Even though most of the stolen items are from customers allowed to walk out the door with duffel bags filled with merchandise.
Pros
Cons
short or no breaks, awful customers, awful corporate managers
staffing issues
Running Specialist (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAJanuary 9, 2017
associates are required to work with little to no help since corporate only approves for a limited staffing hours. They will try to get the most out of you with min pay and expect you to do their work for you. the pay between the management and the sales associates really is embarrassing the management do little work with high compensation while the rest of the employing are working there but off just so they can make bonus
Productive fun loving place with amazing staff
CSS/Pricing Signage Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTJanuary 4, 2017
On a regular day I would start off with imputing the deposits from the day before, make sure tills were set to the right amount, and front end was stocked with this needed throughout the day. I would deal with any issues customers had with sales, coupons, and returns. I was the head cashier and made sure everything went smoothly throughout the day. Did hourly metric updates informing staff where we were at with sales, reward cards, and credit cards. I absolutely loved my job, I had been there for 3 years, but felt like I was stuck with the company which didn't provide me a place to grow.
Pros
Flexable, easy going, and enjoyable
Cons
Managaement became an issue
Fun Workplace
Apparel Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 20, 2017
I enjoyed my time at Dick's Sporting Goods. My typical day included assisting guests as they shopped for particular items, I helped everyone find what they were looking for. I gained a great amount customer service experience, and was great at helping people. The management wasn't bad, during the time I worked there they were making changes in management. Everybody in that place was friends with each other, we were all one great big team and loved each other like a family. The hardest part was only when you would spot people stealing and could not stop them from doing it. The most enjoyable part for me would be the times people would come in not sure of what they wanted and asked for me to help them pick out outfits for them to try on.
Pros
Discounts, flexible hours
Cons
short breaks
Fun workplace, sometimes communications is lacking
Footwear Associate (Current Employee) –  New Hartford, NYJanuary 11, 2017
I enjoy working in the footwear department and have a passion for sneakers. Our footwear lead is very fair and a hard worker. A frustration of mine is that there are a handful of people who do minimal work, come in late, call-in sick all the time etc. and there are no repercussions. I have heard that it is more of a pain for management to fire people so that is why they do not
Productive and fun work place
Sales Floor (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CADecember 27, 2016
Engaging in customer service to provide guest with a good experience when they walk into our store. I learned a lot about cash management along with managing footwear sales. Its a great place to learn how to move up in retail. Co-workers and management work really well together to make everyone feel comfortable about their job. Work environment is very positive. The job is pretty self explanatory unless you want a challenge, the most enjoyable part about the job is the amazing group of people you work with on a daily basis.
Pros
Free Lunches
Not what it was hyped up to be...
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Coraopolis, PAJanuary 23, 2017
In the corporate office, it was very clique-y and while many of the staff are very NICE, no one really makes an effort to be welcoming to new staff members. Our department was questionably run, there was very little actual training in place - you just kinda have to figure it out for yourself and try not to get fired. And trying to figure out how their hiring/promotion practices work is a full-time job in itself. These people are the masters of wasting time & money, which is fine until it's YOUR time that's being wasted working on something that is BOUND to change 2 days later. I have never felt more excluded and treated so questionable by a company in my life.
Pros
Amazing food, great workout facility, amazing environment aesthetically
Cons
questionable hiring practices, inattentive management
Mediocre at best
Front End Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOFebruary 9, 2017
This job can be a complete waste of time if you're looking to move up. If you're a college student with almost no bills, it can be a good fit. The pay was pretty terrible. The management was almost exclusively unresponsive to feedback. HR will cut your hours to almost nothing if you close some availability.
Pros
Simple.
Cons
Low pay. HR is petty with availability and hours.
Fast paced and fun
Cashier Associate (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJanuary 12, 2017
Dick's Sporting Goods is a big store even with its individualized departments. So working apparel was a lot of ground to cover and a lot of area to maintain. So I always had one or two co workers along side of me helping me and really using team work to get our jobs done.
Pros
helping people with such an array of sporting questions/gear
Cons
little to no breaks, does not listen to your availability
Best job I have probably ever had.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 19, 2016
My header says it all. From the co-workers to the management to the overall job tasks I had, Dicks Sporting Goods was hands down my favorite job. Not only was it fun, but it taught (management/procedures) how to manage my time wisely, be productive, responsible, give better customer service, and a taste of how retail works. My managers were all like friends and my co-workers became my close friends outside of work. The only hard part was having to do inventory overnight.
Pros
Awesome managers, free food, great co-workers, fun.
Cons
Overnight inventory.
Room for improvement
Seasonal Cashier (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALDecember 17, 2016
If the work life balance was better; and management cared more about the sake of their employees, then this would actually be a cool company to stay and work for.

However, the work life balance is not good. An 8-hour shift can easily turn into 12 due to management asking workers to stay longer. Yes they supply food, but how do higher ups expect their employees to perform efficiently if they're tired and over-worked????
Pros
Meals and snacks supplied during holiday season; co-workers are helpful
Cons
Lack of concern from management; work/life balance
retail is retail
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  MichiganMarch 18, 2017
You have to do more with less - a lot less. The company gives you a lot of tasks to accomplish and you do not have the people to do it. You are always behind. The pay is not the best. The health benefits are sound. But there needs to be better offerings to all employees. There needs to be a greater focus on work life balance and actually allow your employees to take the time that they need and want off. Too many restrictions due to being understaffed ALL THE TIME!! The company may need to invest more in the human capital end of the business if they want to survive. With the contraction in the industry you also need to have a focus on retaining and advancing the talented employees that you do have and focus on the development of the others that need to be developed
Cons
Understaffed constantly, too many tasks and not enough time/people to complete
Fun workplace, but did not align with long-term work goals
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN, SDecember 16, 2016
This was a customer-service based job dealing with the Sporting Goods industry, which I enjoyed. I mainly worked as a Cashier, but also processes returns and organized the store. My interaction with employees was pleasant.

The hardest part of my job was working with difficult situations and coming to compromise my beliefs for the benefit of some customers.

I certainly learned patience and acceptance in this job.
Pros
Free Lunches, close location
Cons
Low Wages
Horrible
Apparel Associate (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYFebruary 3, 2017
It was good until their attendance policy. After that policy everything started going downhill. I saw good employees getting fired 24/7. The managers don't really care if you have an emergency and are upto your last point. You will be fired. Don't work here if you have a problem with being on time.
Pros
The 25% off discount
Cons
Attendance, managers, breaks, basically everything
Productive and fun work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYJanuary 12, 2017
An typical day there wasn't that bad I was a cashier but I would rather be in the footwear department or team sports department where I can walk around. The coworkers were friendly and welcoming when I first came there. The management was ok . I would the hardest part of the job was probably on Black Friday and standing in one place for hours.
Pros
Fun coworkers
Cons
Bad hours
Fun Workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXMarch 11, 2017
A typical day at work would be attending customers, balancing your register, keeping your area clean, and credit card applications. Working here really taught me what a retail environment is more like. I learned how to do credit applications and how to handle pricing. Management was always kind and supportive, they always took care of staff first in order to provide great customer service they ensure we were safe and comfortable. The hardest part of the job was cleaning up when closing because on a busy day, merchandise was either on the ground or on the other side of the building. We were expected to have every thing tucked and folded neatly but we worked as a team to get it done together. The most enjoyable part of the day was well the whole day actually, never had a day I had a problem not wanting to show.
Pros
Flexibility and employee breaks
Cons
closing
Fun and Productive
Lead Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLDecember 13, 2016
A typical day at Dicks Sporting Goods was recommending and helping customers select merchandise based on their needs.

I Managed a wide variety of customer service and administrative tasks to resolve customer issues quickly and efficiently.
I Trained new employees on company customer service policies and service level standards.
I learned how to opened and closed a store, including counting cash, opening and closing cash registers and creating staff assignments.
My co-workers were incredibly helpful and fun.
There was not hardest part of the job and the most enjoyable customer service.
Pros
team work
warehouse
Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  East Hanover, NJFebruary 28, 2017
Unloading and loading trucks for shipments.I learned packing and shipping skills as well as managing a full warehouses staff.The workplace culture was to put customers first and to make them happy.The hardest part of the job was that there wasn't enough hours to get everything done. Since it was a retail store they were cutting payroll all the time.
Overall good place to work if in high school or college and a summer job
Footwear Specialist (Current Employee) –  Florence, KYFebruary 4, 2017
Management is good, cooperative, they help out the store. Raises once a year
Typically day last for 5 hours to 8 hours
Work culture is good, athletic younger people
Most enjoyable part of the job would be helping people
Pros
25% discount. Access to other discounts from 3point5
Cons
Time consuming, pay
Diverse Atmosphere with youthful employees
Cashier, Apparel (Current Employee) –  Midwest City, OKFebruary 9, 2017
Dicks Sporting Goods is a fun place to work and has many different personalities. The environment is organized and layed-back. It is a low stress job, and applying for 1 position does not limit you, you are allowed to work other departments for experience and learning.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Highly employed/ Many co-workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dick's Sporting Goods. Our community is ready to answer.