Dierbergs Employee Reviews

Works with my schedule
Prep (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 3, 2018
Most of my co-workers are great. I enjoy my work and don't get bored. Management is very responsive and always checking to see if I need anything.

The pay and benefits are not that great.

There is a management program for any employee wanting to advance in the company. They like to hire from within.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Pay is a little low
N/a
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 1, 2018
The job is ok, but the people are different. Maybe it's just me, but they are not nearly as friendly on the floor as they are in orientation. I just think they need to work on it.
Deli is a face paced enviroment
Deli/Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 18, 2018
Can be very fast paced, especially during peak days and holidays. Quite a bit of standing/walking. Some moderate lifting. Rare to get a weekend off as the busiest days are Friday, Saturday and Sunday. A union job so part time employees must wait 2 years before they receive medical benefits. Most enjoyable part of the job is doing the best you can to meet the customers needs
Pros
Never boring, can make lasting friendships
Cons
having to wait 2 years for medical benefits
Not worth it
Packaging (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOJanuary 12, 2018
They only list you as a part time employee even though you work 40+ hours a week. No room for advancement. Benefits after 13+ months. No match on 401k. Treat you like your expendable. Talk to you like your less than human. No compassion for you what so ever. Racially motivated job. Little to no people of color in management. The max pay is around $13 per hour takes over 5 years to achieve that.
Pros
you get paid
Cons
everything else
Laid back No brainer job
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Shiloh, ILJanuary 11, 2018
I feel as though I was very misguided in my interview as well as orientation. What I was told and what was available to me at my time of hire were completely different. They interview was filled with how great Deirbergs is, how its a family run business, and all the great opportunities for advancement in which I soon found out real quick when starting from current long time employees this is not the case. I spoke with female employees who have been working for this company for 9 years and was in complete shock when I was told that her pay rate per hour was $10.25. Within my first month 3 employees put in their 2 week notice to quit and took other jobs because they were told there was no place for advancement for them. There was very little to NO training at all. NO training manuals to follow or to refer to between departments, kids training kids/adults, absolute no information given as far as pay raises, incentives, stock, shares, etc.. I found this to be completely absurd as the company they claim to be. I saw more products/items just thrown away for multiple reasons but nothing accounted for. Very very little interaction with any mangers. I dont recall one employee being proud to be an employee there or one that took the extra step to benefit the company. All i can say is there is so much room for improvement within Dierbergs that they would need a whole team to come in an reevaluate. I think the owners and managers would be completely surprised at the amount of waste and shrink that is going out the door not accounted for. With this being said, if this did happen  more... employees would start appreciating their job more and the managers would have more appreciation for the employees.  less
Pros
Relaxed environment, paid weekly, great customers
Easy going work place that rewards hard work
Sanitation Clerk (Former Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOJanuary 9, 2018
I took the sanitation job at Dierbergs after graduating high school as a part-time job, soon enough I was working 40-50 hours a week as an independent member of the team. My coworkers were friendly and it was a low-stress enjoyable working environment.
Pros
Work at your own pace, friendly staff, low stress
Cons
Hard work, never time to sit
Pleasant surroundings gained knowledge of plants and flowers
Phone Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 11, 2017
Worked part time to have something to do, enjoyed the work and got to know many names of plants and flowers.
This was my after airline retirement job.
A typical day was to get plugged in and take orders for flowers to be delivered.
Got to know names of many plants and flowers.
The last manager was very unfriendly.
I enjoyed talking to the customers.
Pros
Got to purchase flowers and roses for a few dollars at certain times
Cons
Nothing wrong with the job.
Fast paced environment
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cottleville, MODecember 5, 2017
Dierbergs is very nice grocery store. They carry a wide variety of products, some of which I never knew existed. Also have extensive gluten free, organic products.
Amazing place
Salad Bar Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILNovember 27, 2017
Dierbergs was a fun and energetic place with lots of options for advancement! Worked with a great group of management! In the future I could see myself going back after getting some more experience!
very fats paced and fun work enviorment
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Creve Coeur, MONovember 13, 2017
dierbergs was the best job I had ,the managers and customers were very friendly . I had fun while I was at work but when it was time to get serious we were very busy.
Busy but friendly atmosphere.
NIGHT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Ellisville, MONovember 6, 2017
In a typical day, I open the store, and order or help stock (depending on the day) the loads for the store and provide direction for the morning crew for the day. I have learned how to manage my time, take pride in my work, be accurate in what i do and how to manage others. It is a relatively friendly place to work; the managers are approachable and nice. The hardest part is staying caught up with everything that needs to be done while the office and upper management cuts hours as much as possible. Conversely the most enjoyable part is seeing friendly faces and building relationships; and for me personally, using my creativity to build product displays.
Pros
Union mandated breaks, fairly cheap health insurance, steady hours and there is always something to do.
Cons
sometimes there is too much to do and things can get backed up.
Good Entry-Level job
Salad Bar & Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Charles, MONovember 2, 2017
This is a good first job for high school students, but once you obtain a reasonable amount of experience, it would be best to move on and find another job. Work at Dierberg's is easy, but that can almost be problematic. Many workers experience boredom. Additionally, management is mediocre at best. Most managers appear to be focused more on the store, and not their employees, causing high employee disatisfaction and turnover.
Pros
easy work, paid break
Cons
union, lousy management, work on holidays
Relaxing, good managers
Cashier/ Floral Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILOctober 23, 2017
Typical part time shift was four to eight hours long. I learned a lot about customer service being in floral and being a cashier. Flexible hours. They work with you around school schedules.
Good part-time job
Cashier, Self - Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOOctober 15, 2017
Good part-time job for students, stay at home moms, retirees and the like. Flexible hours, low wages and union dues. Friendly customers, fresh food and clean stores. Great deals and discounts in the deal isle. Customer Service is a priority. Helpful managers and some nice co-workers.
Pros
Hiring Bonuses, weekly paychecks, and discounted food for employees.
Cons
Put simply, some employees with tenure kill productivity, and ultimately tenure kills culture.
its a job
ASST MANAGER SHPPING (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOOctober 13, 2017
cant stay staffed effectively, working with no proper training and high demand for working overtime , no room for advancement or merit advancements for hard work and dedication.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
repetive
Nice for a first job, stay for a few years if possible.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, MOOctober 4, 2017
Having multiple managers tell you to do one thing in 3 different ways can make it a more stressful job.
They will switch it up, put all the work on the newbie and let others laze around.
It can be nice if you make friends.
You'll have a mix of odd coworkers, nice ones, and rude ones but the job can be nice. Working as a courtesy clerk will only get you so much, but as a high school student its okay money.
Pros
Can buy food in store, discounts
Cons
Very short breaks
productive and sometimes fun
ASST DELI/SEAFOOD MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOOctober 3, 2017
it is a place to start at an early age and plan on being there for many years in order to get advanced.
a union job so there are numerous rules different from the actual business itself
not my cup of tea
Deil
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 18, 2017
If you like working with customers then this could be the job for you its fast paces. Hands on an have to work with heavy machinery. The employees are always to work around.
Stressful and not fun
Courtesy Clerk and Trainer (Former Employee) –  Warson Woods, MOAugust 31, 2017
Could be long days with very little breaks. Management would get onto you about anything and everything but everyone was still nice for the most part. Some drama. CARTS SUCK!
First job, poor management
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Des Peres, MOJuly 31, 2017
managers don't do a very good job and lose a lot of employees because of their attitudes. Especially the maintenance team. Lots of people come and go on the maintenance team. The head manager is really nice, but the others do not know how to manage at all and expect way too much out of you. The other managers will call you out for forgetting to do a thing or 2 and stop treating you nice.