Digital River Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Smart Employees, Challenging Work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNAugust 28, 2017
Digital River is what you make of it. A person needs to have drive and willing to work with very little structure. Processes are not documented but proactive initiative is highly rewarded.
Not well managed
Manager (Former Employee) –  MNAugust 23, 2017
When I first joined the company it was a friendly, exciting place to work but once it was purchased it went down hill quickly as the parent company squeezed the life out of it.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Very poor leadership
Unpredictable management and poor benefits
Cloud Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNMay 21, 2017
The only health insurance offered is a high-deductible option with HealthPartners. Management will say one thing and expect another. Performance reviews are erratic and warnings are draconian.
Pros
Loose schedule
Cons
health insurance, low salary
Amazing coworkers and oppertuntity to develop and learn.
Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, WAMay 18, 2017
My issue with Digital Rivers is how the upper leadership has a sorry but not sorry attitude when misleading the employees. I feel its better to say less then be dishonest. Management rating was reduced to three starts due to the top leadership.
Great people work at DR, but the ELT does not have the right vision for the company.
Employee (Current Employee) –  OfficeOctober 28, 2016
DR has a hard time finding it's correct journey. This is all based on the issues at the executive level.

The employee is base is great. Hard workers, fun people, but we are not getting anywhere despite the great teams because the ELT really seems to not understand how to drive the company to a more successful place in the market.

There have been too many staff reductions to the point there is not enough people to actually get the work done that is needed to get us to the right place. But, we can't get headcount as the parent company is only worried about their bottom-line.

They really need to understand that you cannot get more done with such a reduced workforce.

But, it appears we all tolerate it due to the fact that we really like our co-workers.
Pros
Unlimited PTO, great co-workers.
Cons
Healthcare is not good - expensive, not great options. Too many layoffs over the years.
great place to work
Fraud Analyst (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNOctober 17, 2016
I enjoyed working here very much, I would recommend it to anyone think of applying here, my particular manager was great and treated all his employees with dignity and respect.
Great people, bad management
SENIOR WEB DEVELOPER (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNApril 10, 2016
I was at Digital River for 10 years, had great reviews every year, always finished my projects, had a good attitude, but was laid off in the last round because the "company did well, but not well enough."
Morale in the office is at an all time low because everyone is afraid of being laid off.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Layoffs every year, expectations are very high (with less staff), morale is horrendous
Good palce to work
Backup Administrator (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNMarch 23, 2016
I was a backup admin for them and I enjoyed it. Management was OK, could have been stronger. CO-workers were fun to be around.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Management could have been better
Fast-paced environment with beer Fridays and "bring your dog to work" days
Store Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNOctober 20, 2015
Digital River is the global leader in ecommerce solutions. They have more than 20 years experience in the digital and physical vertical. Their clients include some of the top software vendors in the world. Great learning experience if you want to get into the ecommerce/internet/software market space.
Horrible, terrible and generally miserable
Director (Former Employee) –  minnetonka, MNSeptember 28, 2015
Simply a mess of a company. They ousted their founder/CEO and brought in a new leader who lived in CT but commuted to MN weekly...Gave the impression he wasnt committed.

When they ousted their founder, they kept many of his former direct reports in leadership roles. They would only follow the direction of new leadership when they agreed with it or had no other choice. People did what they wanted, when they wanted...complete disarray.

Terrible work life balance, below market salaries and poor leadership all made for a poor experience.

But they hope that weekly beer happy hours and a once per month "bring your dog to work day" will make you overlook everything else that is wrong...
Pros
Decent location
Cons
everything else...
Great Place to Work
Sr. Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNMay 23, 2015
here were a lot of opportunities for advancement and to work with cutting edge technologies. The people are very motivated to excel and to produce products that are important to the customers.
Used to be stimulating; now stifling
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNMarch 19, 2015
Digital River is a company in transition, and I can't say that the transition has been smooth. They lack clear direction and switch goals from one day to the next. They have recently lost many of their best and brightest. It used to be a very fresh environment that stimulated new ideas and brought lots of energy. More recently, it stifles creativity and encourages adherence to the party line.
Pros
Gorgeous location, many perks (Beer Friday, fitness classes, etc.)
Cons
People management is not rewarded
Smart People.
Technical Manager - Network Engineering (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNDecember 23, 2014
Great team. Fun place to work. Can be hectic, but has it's benefits.
Pros
Beer Friday
Cons
Lots of fire drills
Productive fast paced
Technical Writer - Product Marketing (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNNovember 26, 2014
Terrific place to work. The people are really dedicated to the mission of the company. Great communication, very talented people.
Fun place to work.
Customer Service Escalation Tier 2 (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNOctober 20, 2014
One of the best places to work, in my opinion. I felt valued and appreciated.
Productive fun place to work with ping-pong tables.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNOctober 13, 2014
Great passionate people, all with outgoing personalities.
Just plain awful
Unspecified Role (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNAugust 27, 2014
Simply put, Digital River is a company made up of some of the brightest and hardest working people I have encountered. Unfortunately they are serving a leadership group that simply is not competent.

Work/Life Balance is non-existent. If you take a position there be prepared to be fitted for a digital leash. You are expected to be available after hours and weekends. If you are not available you are shamed by leadership for not being committed to the company etc.

I wouldn't recommend anyone with a family they care about taking a job there.
Excellent
Symantec Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNFebruary 26, 2014
Working for the United States Military provides discipline and creates self confidence
Very stressful Environment to Work
tell you later (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNJanuary 31, 2014
There are some good people at DR.
The building is nice and tech friendly. Nice technology.
Had 3 different managers within a year. Forget about raise on yearly basis even with good performance. The manager is always checking on you and can be mean if you are not part of their segregated group. When you need to WFH they make it a big deal, but if other co-worker in the same team decide to WFH they play jokes. Most of the people come in, get the experience and move on.
The work is always plenty, you will get burnout very quickly, and prepare to work 55-60 hrs per week.They will certainly work you to death. Plus the yearly layoff, they have let go almost 10% of the total employees.
Pros
free lunches, nice gym
Cons
Micro management, very stressful environment, high turnover
Productive fun place to work with excellent colleagues and great working atmosphere.
Client Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 12, 2014
A typical day would consist of client management which included training, technical support, accounts receivable, project management, and consulting. Over the past 7 years I have been fortunate enough to learn and understand the global Affiliate Marketing industry. One of the most significant items I learned was how much fraud is experienced in the industry and what steps are taken by Advertisers to protect their businesses from fraudulent online activity.

The office management atmosphere was very laid back. Managers made you feel like they were friends. They were always very supportive and available for assistance. They turned out to be the best management team I have ever had the pleasure to work with.

Since the office had only about 50 people, it was easy to get to know everyone on a personal level. I have met many colleagues which have become close friends. It has been a pleasure to meet and get to know them well.

The hardest part about the job was managing hundreds of clients based all over the world, but only having office hours from 8am - 5pm M-F ET. This would make a typical day move at light speed.

The absolute most enjoyable part of the job was experienced every Friday also known as "Beer" Friday. Fridays would be geared towards team building and enjoying various IPAs, Stouts, and micro brews. Our internal teams would engage in various tournaments including, video games, darts, ping pong or simply include social time. It was always a great way to end what was always a tough week.
Pros
Career advancement, challenging, friendly atmosphere
Cons
Healthcare, compensation, career training