DigitalGlobe

DigitalGlobe Employer Reviews

Good Place to Work
Senior/Staff Research Scientist (Current Employee), Longmont, COAugust 28, 2014
There many interesting and ongoing RD projects at DG. The company is building many tools to extract information from its constellation of satellites. I've learned much about machine learning algorithms and image processing during my time at DG.
Work environment has plummeted
Analyst (Former Employee), Longmont, COMay 11, 2014
Pros: -good benefits, nice facility
Cons: 1. there was no clear path for advancement 2 any employee advancement was based on politics, not employee's work ethic or value to company 3. uneven pay (analyst a made $40k, analyst b made $54k, no justification to discrepancy)
The first two years I worked here, the company was great. Excellent manager, trusting environment, team setting. I would have given the company 4 stars at that time.

After two years, a coworker, with no managerial training or experience, was prematurely promoted to our team's new manager, as was another manager promoted to team director. Both were – more... distrusting, emotionally unbalanced, and paranoid. Huge promotional mistakes. Distrust abounds here; it's common at this company that if a manager doesn't physically see you working, they just assume you weren't working. One week I would be praised for my work ethic, and the next week, without changing a thing, I would be reprimanded for poor performance. Depending on the mood of my manager, I was either fantastic or failing; it didn't matter what the metrics showed. There was just no winning.

The stress became too much. I was constantly sick due to it and I later resigned.

Be warned: This place is a craps shoot. Depending on your manager(s), you'll either have a great experience, or this will be the job from Helle. Or, you'll get one of the bipolar managers, like mine, and have a great experience from Helle. – less
Great Company
Human Resource Operations Intern (Former Employee), Longmont, COApril 28, 2014
DigitalGlobe is a great place to have a career. They understand job/work life balance and allow their employees to work on challenging interesting things.
Good place to work.
Systems Intern (Former Employee), Longmont, COApril 23, 2014
Pros: team building activities. ambitious, friendly employees.
Cons: complex systems.
It is a good place to work with good people. Going through a period of transition to more modern practices, but overall, a good culture.
Great divide between labor and senior management team
Geospatial Analyst (Current Employee), ColoradoJanuary 21, 2014
Cons: little opportunity for growth, learning.
Since merging with Geoeye, DigitalGlobe has been focusing on cutting costs and firming product offerings. Unfortunately this has stagnated internal growth and advancement, in favor of demonstrating gains to investors.
The senior management team is focusing on growing new lines of business without consulting their experienced labor force, resulting in – more... wasted efforts and and constant internal arguments.
A great deal of time is spent developing internal culture at the corporate level, however these values are soon discarded at the individual level. Employee ratings are designed to marginalize above average performance. Lastly, the company prefers to re-title employees over adjusting compensation based on duties; relevant experience will rarely translate into competitive pay.

Overall this company is driven by senior management ego, but takes the time to go through the motions of thoughtful management then ignores all thought at its first convenience. – less
From what I've heard DG is a diiferent place these days
Collection Planning System Engineer (Former Employee), Longmont, CODecember 30, 2013
Pros: interesting and challenging work close to the rocky mountains
Cons: can't think of any you wouldn't find in any job
When I worked at DG the company was going through the process of going from a start-up to a publicly traded company, so it was a period of large changes. Talking to people that work there now it is considerably more stable and still growing.
DigitalGlobe is a great place to work!
Director (Former Employee), Longmont, CODecember 17, 2013
Pros: free soft drinks, bagel/donut tuesday, great benefits, nice facility
Cons: at periods the hours can be long
DigitalGlobe is a fast paced high tech company. They employ only the best and smartest in the industry. It was great to be a part of such a great company and team.

The management is supportive. They have established a vision and strategy. They do a great job of communicating this and business decisions to employees.
Cool Product
Senior Manager (Former Employee), Thornton, COOctober 10, 2013
Excellent experience, good career opportunities, unique product.
Unique Environment
Program Manager (Current Employee), Longmont, COSeptember 24, 2013
A typical day at this job involves 5 hours of meetings, at least 8-10 unexpected email actions with short timelines. As a PM working SDLC in support an imagery satellite build--there are always opportunities to learn. I mostly learn from the aerospace engineers and software developers. The employees are incredibly talented. The hardest part of the job – more... is the 2-hour one way commute. – less
Productive and professional work setting.
Customer Support (Former Employee), Thornton, COAugust 25, 2013
Pros: benefits and fellow workers.
Cons: job security.
Great place to learn about the Geospatial industry.

Management = Great
Co-Workers = Great
Benefits = Best perks I have seen
Great Place to Work
Senior Geospatial Analyst (Current Employee), Saint Louis, MOAugust 7, 2013
Pros: great workers, good perks, flexible hours
Really liked my coworkers and the atmosphere. Not much room for advancement though. You can get a different job title but do the same job.

Office is closing though.
Hi
Systems Engineer (Current Employee), Herndon, VAMay 23, 2013
Great company to learn the industry because I was able to move around a lot.
Productive and stimulating place to work
Project Specialist (Former Employee), Thornton, COApril 23, 2013
Pros: great environment, great people
Cons: company was bought out by competitor, uncertain if standards will remain the same as when i worked there.
Comfortable environment with people who are encouraging and cooperative. The company makes a good effort to provide incentive and employee appreciation activities, as well as offering good benefits. Opportunities for training and advancement are available and encouraged.
Senior Writer/Editor
Senior Writer/Editor, Marketing Communications (Current Employee), Herndon, VAApril 1, 2013
Working as a writer/editor for GeoEye has been an amazing experience. I learned a great deal over the past 3-plus years. The executive team was generous with their time and knowledge, and it was a joy to work with them.
Formerly Geoeye
Sr. Mission Controller (Current Employee), Herndon, VAMarch 31, 2013
Geoeye was recently acquired by Digital Globe. As I have not worked for Digital Globe that long I can not give a fair enough review, but I look forward to the changes being made and giving them a fair chance.
Great potential. Senior management inability to execute caused company demise.
Director (Former Employee), ThortonMarch 28, 2013
Pros: competitive salaries and benefits.
Cons: poor strategic thinking and employee management.
Smart, hardworking, dedicated co-workers.

Promotion based more on politics than performance.

Senior management's inability to recognize and/or willingness to pursue and capture new business opportunities led to company downfall.
Since absorbing their main competitor, DG is turning into a profit-driven company.
Quality Control Engineer (Former Employee), Longmont, COMarch 27, 2013
Pros: physical working conditions are good, free gym
Cons: lack of feedback from supervisors, located in longmont, no cafeteria
After three years at DG, I can honestly say it is a decent company to work for; however, some of the management is lacking in the ability to communicate ways to improve to their employees. The result is getting a lower evaluation at the end of each year and wondering why since you never got any direction or support on how to meet the expectations of – more... your supervisor. Too many managers. – less
Fun stressful place to work
Mission Controller, Satellite Operations (Former Employee), Herndon, VAMarch 14, 2013
For satellite operations the hours are positive and negative. Twelve hour shifts are tough but the multiple days off in a row really help. Good job if you are young/single with few commitments. Company holds many social gatherings to get people to know each other. Satellite operations can be stressful but is very rewarding.
Good learning environment
Senior Manager, Enterprise Transition Programs (Current Employee), Herndon, VAMarch 4, 2013
Pros: training and benefits
Cons: no promotion policy
Great opportunity in performing systems engineering and managing various multi-million-dollar engineering projects and programs, challenging work in the development, implementation and operations of satellite ground systems.
Friendly, helpful co-workers and flexible work schedule
Senior Geospatial Analyst (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOMarch 4, 2013
Pros: lots of morale functions to participate in, friendly co-workers and managers, flexible work schedule
Cons: closed door politics, issues not always listened to and resolved
Willing to work with individual schedule needs. Managers are understanding and easy to work for, but company lacked solid communication and had very little advancement opportunities. I enjoyed the type of work, benefits and social functions they offered.

About DigitalGlobe

DigitalGlobe has its eye on you. The company provides satellite imagery¬†used for a variety of applications, including mapping, – Read more