Dillard's, Inc.
1,956 reviews

Dillard's, Inc. Employee Reviews

Good for college
Retail Associate (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCJuly 1, 2015
Not the best place to work if you are in retail. The sales expectations seem to intentionally set employees up for failure and workplace gossip is a common occurence.
Great Start For Retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Fort Myers, FLJuly 1, 2015
The pay is very good for retail but sales quotas can be hard to maintain for the most part especially during the summer months. You can also expect working almost every weekend. The work environment is also very competitive which can lead to unhappy co-workers. Some people either last serval years or only about one year. Overall, it's great to learn and awesome pay but be ready to handle several different things at once.
Great environment in the right location
Fragrance & Cosmetic Sales Associate (Former Employee), Bossier CityJune 30, 2015
Days were long, business was slow, there were a lot of requirements for sales goals when market was slow. I learned a lot about the products but it was only from independent company training and experience, no prior training from company.
Productive environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Oxford, ALJune 28, 2015
Pros: good pay, hr lunch
Cons: inconsistency, favoritism, & racism
It is a high stress environment, your sales determine whether or not your job is secured. The managers and co-workers would rather be gossip then worried about their jobs.
good experience with the customers
Shoe sales consultant (Former Employee), OgdenJune 27, 2015
I had a hard time with this job. When customers needed help this is a position that people need extra individual time with. When I had a sale it was big, but it took a lot of time. The company focused a lot of time on sales instead of customer service. If you didn't make your quota for the month you lost your job. I couldn't be a good customer service representative and keep my job.
Fun Place to work
Clarins Counter Manager (Former Employee), El Centro, CAJune 25, 2015
Pros: Learning about skin care and free gifits
Cons: no benefits and unreasonable management team that favors others that do less work
I was a Make-up counter manager, i would manage my counter team. conduct meetings on new products, inform customer on new products, also i would ring up customers and order and stock products, that also included product ordering and data entry. and cold calls

I learned what it takes to be a Manager, i also learned the correct way to care for your skin,

Manage was horrible and judgmental and never willing to help

The hardest part was producing higher numbers then the previous year.

i enjoyed working with fun helpful and amazing co workers.
It hard to work with people that are never pleased with the job you're doing.
Sales Person (Former Employee), Oakwood Mall, New OrleansJune 25, 2015
Working at Dillards was a challenge you almost always had someone how was not satified for some reason. My co-workers were easy to work with. A typical day for me was when the head people were pleased with the sales made at the end of a day. The most enjoyable part of my job was when I got to shop sales.
Clarins Counter Manager and MAC Artist (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNJune 24, 2015
Dillard's is a great work environment with exceptional benefits and a hard-working management team. Discounts available to employees are helpful and the location provides for a safe work place.
Fast-paced and challenging work environment.
Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee), Sugar Land, TXJune 24, 2015
I really enjoyed my time at Dillard's and feel as though I learned a lot by participating in their leadership development program. I was able to develop my leadership skills while learning about the retail industry and the challenges faced by management. While more and more shopping is being done online, it is now, more than ever, important to push customer service and maintain client relationships. I was able to participate in many activities such as scheduling and inventory control. I was also able to monitor sales goals and participate in employee coaching.
Good place to work with compensation packages
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Shreveport, laJune 24, 2015
Pros: monetary compensation
Cons: The quota system
My experience at Dillard's has been good, it is a nice place to work. The pay is better than most retail positions. I have been able to better hone my customer service skills dealing with people one on one and have built great relationships with my co-workers. The hardest part of this job is keeping up with the quota that has to be met because your job depends on it. I enjoy working with my customers and my co-workers.
Very professional
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Odessa, TXJune 24, 2015
Boosts up your self confidence with dealing with customers, and you make a quota to get paid. Have to have a sense of fashion to make you projects in your section work.
Difficult commission and not so great work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Waco, TXJune 24, 2015
A typical day at Dillard's was spent unpacking new merchandise, greeting customers, assisting customers and shoe sales. I learned how to up-sell, how to work with commission, etc
Management was not great. It was like a revolving door at this certain Dillard's, always hiring because employees were constantly quitting. Most avoided management at all cost because certain managers were known for unprofessional behavior. My co-workers in the Shoe Department were not the best either, since we worked off of commission, it was like a shark tank. The hardest part of the job was making weekly commission sales, and I only say that because we had 12+ people in this one department at all times. The competition was unreal. The most enjoyable part of the job was having a happy customer, making sales and knowing that the product was of good to great quality.
The average working day.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJune 23, 2015
My work day consisted of stocking merchandise, keeping inventory and being able to sell the merchandise to customers. The hardest part and the most enjoyable part of the job were both the fact that there weren't too many customers. Not too many customers meant not meeting the quota but also it gave time to stock merchandise.
It's Retail.....
Sales Associate - Home Department (Former Employee), Lithonia, GAJune 23, 2015
Pros: good pay, fun people, incentives, discount, easy job
Cons: management, constant rude customers, competition, huge sale goals, poor hiring decisions
I somewhat enjoyed my experience with Dillard's. Had a great boss who was the assistant store manager who really cared about the employees and worked really hard. It was great for a while, employees came and went in my department quick for a couple months. Had a lot of fun working there. HOWEVER, training was not very well done and most of what I knew I learned on my own. Had very little full price traffic come through and many customers were rude at that particular location and would haggle over extremely cheap pricing. The computer system is very easy to learn if you take your down time to play with it. If new employees came you had to train them which is why training was often no good for some. We had a lot of credit application pressure but one a week was reasonable compared to other places and a credit class on Sunday was not bad either. If you are a hard working employee but have bad traffic coming through then you stand no chance. Once that sale goal disappears in the system it is only a matter of time. Management was okay beyond the ASM but sketchy and lied unless you confronted them. Had to rearrange the department often and it was rarely to what Dillard's actually wanted but we were forced to redo and redo. If they are in a pinch for a manager, instead of hiring within or looking even they will just pick whatever sketchy lazy person they are friends with and competition for sales is huge. Pay is good though if you can keep your job. Every 3 months you're suppose to get reviewed for pay raise and such but the management that this location did not do so which will make you gone fast. And if you upset a manager in any way your hours will be cut big time.

I would still go back though. The actual cooperate people I met were great and nice but it is a shame how trusting they were to lies they were told.
friendly and productive environment
sales associate/stockroom associate (Current Employee), KennerJune 22, 2015
It is an ideal place to work for. The people are friendly, the environment is welcoming, and the regular job stress is manageable and minimal.
Good pay
Selling Specialist (Current Employee), Maumee, OHJune 21, 2015
Pros: Good pay, benefits, hour lunch break
Cons: Sales goal, punished if you don't open credit cards
Starting pay is excellent. For many warehouse/production/factory jobs in this area, you start out pretty good. This is a retail/pseudo-sales job, and starts you out at more or less the same. If you're doing well, they put you at full time and raise you up even better with pay!
However, there is a daily sales goal, which goes into an annual sales goal. This is very difficult to do unless you can somehow connive people into giving you their contact info to come in and purchase from you (not likely) or you are fortunate enough to work with very few coworkers on a busy day (very unlikely).
Still, the people are good and the money is good. Plus they offer full benefits, and don't have a union (that is something that is necessary in some jobs, but completely pointless in a place like this). Get ready for annoying, repetitive music and lots of standing for hours at a time, but hey, it's a job. What more do you want?
Great Pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Ocala, FLJune 20, 2015
Pros: Flexible
Cons: Bad upper management
My Cosmetic managers were great and always worked with my schedule, the pay was great but none of the store managers cared about you, they only cared about how much you sold in a day.
productive and fun atmosphere
Estee Lauder Counter Manager (Former Employee), Cary, NCJune 18, 2015
Dillards brought a lot of enjoyment to my day. As employees we were allowed some freedom with our sales techniques as long as they remained productive. It was a competitive atmosphere which constantly keeps you on your toes. There was a high turn over rate as far as management is concerned but it allowed a diverse working community which I enjoyed very much.
not very great benefits upper managers do not care about you as a person
Cosmetics Sales Manager (Former Employee), floridaJune 17, 2015
Salary positions have no life/work balance. Their benefits are not as great as well as their pay. It is a very stressful environment to work in
wishy washy
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Savannah, GAJune 17, 2015
Pros: great pay
Cons: management
They don't mind giving raises. They even start you off with a decent wage. They don't mind overtime. Your birthday is considered an holiday and you are paid time nd a half. With all these good things mentioned nine of it matters when management sucks.

1 2 3 4 5

About Dillard's, Inc.

Tradition is trying to catch up with the times at Dillard's. Sandwiched between retail giant  Macy's and discount chains, such – Read more

Dillard's, Inc. Salaries

$11.00 per hour
Business Manager
$32,000 per year

Dillard's, Inc. Photos

I took pride in making this beautiful!
Christmas Sweater Day