Dillon's

Dillon's Employee Reviews

Nice enjoyable place to work at
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Newton, KSApril 20, 2015
I would stock shelves with various merchandise and carry out groceries for nice little ole ladies and gentlemen,then back to stocking or doing dairy products etc.
Dillon's
Curtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Wellington, KSMarch 19, 2015
Pros: great enviroment
Cons: n/a
I absolutely loved my job when I worked at Dillon's.
It has a great environment, great co-workers, great staff anyone could have had.
When I worked for them, I put my all into making sure the store was ran the way it was suppose to.
Structured Environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Wichita, KSMarch 4, 2015
Pros: advancement opportunities, employee discount, good number of breaks
Cons: inconsistent scheduling
Every position held at Dillon's had the single goal of customer service in mind. A typical day at work consisted of helping customers with any and all issues and helping them check out in a timely, friendly matter. I learned to help customers with difficult problems while being courteous and friendly. Management was stern and created a productive environment. Co-workers were friendly and understandable. Some of them may not have been as enthusiastic as others about their job. There wasn't anything too hard about this job. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people.
Condescending, apathetic.
Front End Associate (Current Employee), Lawrence, KSFebruary 15, 2015
You are paid ALMOST every week on time... Except that one time where they didn't have anyone to pick up the checks. Lots of peer-level employees and many customers are fine folk. Fairly flexible when it comes to time off (if you do it more than a week in advance, and providing there are no issues with the program.)

----------------------------------------------------------------

No way to get a raise beyond twenty cents over minimum as a front end associate: despite how hard you work, despite how reliable you are, despite how long you've worked there, despite that you may be one of a very few who is capable of speaking more than one language. You are worked to death if you give any care about your job at all (not even your occupation, but self-respect in your own effort as a person--they'll take advantage of that.) You're not guaranteed hours, and if there are any issues with scheduling, you're essentially SOL in many cases.

Despite what all the "training" nonsense says, you're not valued as a worker, or even as a person. You're a tool and nothing more. On that subject: the training can be underwhelming, and then you get thrown to the sharks and get in trouble if you do something wrong: They gave me no real formal training on how the scheduling worked when they changed to electronic and that was apparently my fault.

They put rules in place and then either do nothing to keep those rules functioning (see: keep the cigarette cabinet locked to prevent theft and underage access to cigarettes, since they can totally reach into the case from the walkway, and almost never replacing – more... the doors when the keys get broken due to the shoddy cabinet design), or they are so obsessive about minutia of certain rules that it makes it hard to do the rest of your job,

At one point many employees almost lost all their hours because their checker scores were too low, they threatened to make them baggers, which has an even lower pay cap, despite the fact that many of the issues were electronic: coupons that should scan not scanning, touch screen delays or touch screens reacting poorly in general; or on the customer end: insisting on writing a check out fully as well as balancing checkbook before handing the check to you, forgetting the bar code stickers on bulk items and not having the item PLU; and sometimes they were due to other departments who received no consequences: departments not cleaning the manager special sticker printer, resulting in incomplete bar codes, or even just forgetting to put bar codes on products altogether. A further anecdote involved the manager and two supervisors reprimanding an employee in public, in front of customers, for a low checker score despite all these outlying reasons that can heavily affect a checker any given week.

Many reports have shown management to do more than one thing that resulted in employees breaking down in tears. Turnover rate is through the roof, and yet those of us who can't afford to leave have to carry the extra weight when the numbers are low. No matter how hard of a worker you are, you're worth basically nothing to the management, let alone upper management.

The current scheduling system seems like it was incompletely implemented, and upper upper management didn't care that it was faulty: requests will be sent but never come through, the forms themselves can be very confusing and can only allow one frame of availability a day, the comment section beside the request is a better place to put availability than the absurd drop down set up. People in charge have been known to make schedules that make no sense: multiple hour gaps without a self-checkout attendant in a store that needs self-checkout to run, shifts longer than they should be, other employees with sometimes zero hours despite needing them and having reliable histories, stories go on and on.

There's a bizarre double-standard where people who slack off and act rudely can get treated far better than those who work hard and keep a mostly positive attitude. People have had to stay around for over a half hour because someone gave a no call no show and ended up going shopping instead of coming to work: no real consequences to their actions. Others have requested a day off (which wasn't given due to the shoddy computer scheduling system,) warning the team well in advance and was practically threatened of harsh, unreasonable consequences for calling in to tell them if the employee couldn't make it.

They were big, when the store started on having a green team to promote recycling, compost, and other green practices, and recently the recycling company withdrew from town, and management essentially gave a big shrug. For four months all recycling has gone straight to the trash. They still have signs up talking about the potentials the store has for being a green store, and I don't even think the green team exists anymore.

Recently we have had a situation where one of the supervisors was denying people bathroom breaks, adjusting what people were supposed to do behind the lead superisor's back, favoritizing, and being heavily condescending. This is not a new issue, the condescension, but the other situations, so far, have gone noticeably unpunished. – less
Harry and Webb is a daycare!
Apprentice Meat Cutter (Former Employee), Wichita, KSFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: good people
Cons: awful workers that procrastinate on work
Just not the ideal place to work at Harry and Webb location. Its kind of like a daycare. There was a lot of gossip. The store manager has no people skills and the new assistant is even worst. She slobbers when she talks so its hard to take her serious. She's serious all the time.
Fun Work Place! Great employees and customers!
Front End Cashier (Former Employee), Springfield, MOJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: great customers, employee discount, fuel center, great employees
Cons: store closing
I loved working at Dillon's. I would still be working there today if the store hadn't closed. I enjoyed coming to work every single day. I didn't dread it like most people would dread a job. I enjoyed it. I loved having conversation with customers. Over time they became familiar faces to me and i began to know their names. I felt like Dillon's had great prices and great service. I shopped there a few times before i worked there i loved it. We had our own "plus card" (that was how you got the sales prices) that had 10% employee discount. Dillon's had there own fuel station so every dollar you spent it went to as a point. Every 100 points was 10 cents off your gallon of gas. I found this very useful. I grew a bond which each customer and each employee. They were like a second family to me. The managers always gave out $3 off coupons to all the employees who showed great customer service. I remember when i received my first one, i was so honored. I am going to miss working with Dillon's and pleasing all those loyal customers!
Productive workplace.
Meat Clerk (Former Employee), Wichita, KSNovember 24, 2014
Pros: learned a few meat cuts.
Cons: keeping up with the stocking and customer service at the same time.
A typical day at work would be to look around and see what needs to be stocked in the coolers. I learned how to use a saw to cut meat. Management was not really helpful. Co workers were ok for the most part. Hardest part was to get things stocked up with out falling behind because of all the customer questions. Most enjoyable was the stories some customers share.
Its ok some days
Chinese kitchen cook (Current Employee), Hutchinson, KSNovember 14, 2014
the people I work with are like sink or swim and if you are tomorrow don't get stuff ready for the people that do work.
Challenging job with great benefits!
#8 scanning manager (Former Employee), Dillons #8 1321 North Main Hutchinson KansasOctober 28, 2014
Pros: benefits and customer service, the pay was good too!
Cons: made less working in a small store though did more work.
I started out as a cashier, moved up to ordering. I had six trucks a week. Made all signs and displays, checked in vendors, met weekly sales projections, counted money in customer service. The customers were the most enjoyable part of the whole job.
Deli Clerk
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Wichita, KSOctober 20, 2014
Pros: working as a union worker. hour lunch break, good hours
Cons: unorganized, not enough workers
Working for Dillon's was a new experience, i loved working with the wonderful customers and workers. I enjoyed that customer was satisfied with the jobs that i have done for them
A place to work
Produce Clerk (Current Employee), KansasAugust 27, 2014
Its a Job
You work for money
I am unable to express my opinions of my current employer
Typical grocery store
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Lawrence, KSAugust 20, 2014
Pros: customers
Cons: management
I was fired for having a work related injury that the management had refused to work with me about, even on paper when it had been filed they refused to accept that I had hurt myself on the job. They refused to follow through with any workman's compensation although I had many doctor's notes and was currently receiving physical therapy for a strained and sprained rotator cuff; on top of that, they had me working utility while in a sling and the manager had told me that my doctor's notes weren't enough.
Life working
Sea Food Clerk (Current Employee), Wichita, KSJune 26, 2014
Pros: flexible hours, close to home, co-workers
Cons: pay, number of hours available
I am expected to open/close the entire seafood department, clean, order and organize. I do everything a manager can and will do but get paid a part time salary.

The co-workers are nice and always help when asked, as i do for them as well.
Flexible work schedule
Cashier (Current Employee), Topeka, KSJune 9, 2014
I enjoy working for the company, but would like a higher skilled job.
Enjoyable workplace with reasonable pay considering the type of work to be done.
Front End/Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Wichita, KSMay 25, 2014
Pros: easy access to meals during break, work may have been physically demanding, but not as mentally straining.
Cons: unfixed schedule
A typical day at work varied on the customer population we would have for the day, we would have days where it is fast-paced, and there are days where it would be slow. Nonetheless, my work experience at Dillon's taught me more on organization and time-management as one had to be able to do things well enough and fast enough to accommodate the responsibilities expected of you and at the same time being courteous, helpful, and friendly to customers in need of assistance.
I enjoy working at Dillon's, but somedays are pretty rough!
Furniture Lead (Current Employee), Wichita, KSApril 4, 2014
I enjoy working with my co workers, but sometimes management has pretty high expectations with what needs to get done on a given day.
being a good deli clerk
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Winfield, KSMarch 16, 2014
the work there was difficult at time and other times it was easy and i learned no matter how easy or how difficult the day is you still have to make sure everything is in order and everything is cleaned and ready to be reused like the fryers were on a constant running thought out the day because some of the customers wanted large amounts of fried chicken.
The hardest part of the job was trying not to get burned or cut
good job just not a good paying job and management wasnt the best
o Produce clerk (Former Employee), Wichita, KSMarch 15, 2014
very busy job to make the day go by fast but makes you feel like u don't get paid what u deserve...a lot of manual labor for low pay.
Fun place to work.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), Wichita, KSJanuary 8, 2014
In the 20yrs. I worked for Dillon's I was able to learn many different jobs.
Fun Atmosphere.
CHECKER / GM STOCK (Former Employee), Wichita, KansasOctober 23, 2013
Pros: fun work atmosphere.
Cons: the cons for working for dillon's - not enough hours
I Enjoyed working at Dillon's . It was a fun place to work what I really enjoyed was meeting new people . The customers were friendly and so were my co-workers. My Typical day at work would be getting there and opening up a register meeting and greeting customers , ringing up their orders and wishing them a great day. other days I
would work in the General Merchandise sections of the store were I would stock shelves, unload trucks, and help customers on the sales floor. The management Team was very friendly and helpful . The hardest part of the job was unloading the the Trucks ,breaking down the loads, in the same sense it was one of the most enjoyable parts of my job. I enjoy being physical and moving around . the other enjoyable part of that job was seeing people everyday , getting to know them and using my customer service skills to make their visit at the store a memorable one.

1 2 3