Dillwyn Correctional Center Employee Reviews

Tiring, long hours not enough home time
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Dillwyn, VADecember 31, 2016
The job is very tiring, especially working on night shift. Good benefits but long hours. If you have young children, this isn't the job for you. Great career for some one who lives in a house hold alone.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
long hours, prison envirnonment
exciting place until ended
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAOctober 26, 2015
overall nice place to work,stability,and a great learning experience, another plce where you carried out daily duties but with inmates, securing them and follow the rules
Virginia state jobs are very low paying
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Dillwyn, VirginiaMarch 9, 2015
The work at Dillwyn correctional center is supposed to be a healing environment but there is no healing here. The management only care about having a body in the places that they need. I learned a lot about different types of personalities and how to deal with managing people and how to help them with issues that would not be a problem outside of a prison environment. The job is not hard but the managemnt is seeming to be against it's employees and in the past 3 months or so there has been a large turnover rate. I like getting to understand people from all walks of life and helping them undertand that being incarerated isn't the worst thing that can happen to them Giving them a different viewpoint and suggesting positive goals to earn them a honest living when they are finally released back into society. I enjoy most of my co-workers, we work as a team mostly and find that we are all here to make a difference in the lives of the offenders incarcerated here at Dillwyn correctional center.
Pros
5 days off
Cons
Only two 30 minute breaks in a 12 hour shift, Management cares little for it's employees and seem to work against them, haven't had a raise in years, pay is very low
Challenging
Office Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dillwyn, VAMay 6, 2014
Good work environment, steady pace and new changes from day to day
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Buddy-buddy system
A Good Learning Experience
Psychology Associate I (Former Employee) –  Dillwyn, VAApril 17, 2013
While working in the psychology department, I learned many things about being a mental health professional and how to coordinate with various groups and personalities. Difficult work sometimes, but a good learning experience.
Pros
great boss, supportive co-workers
Cons
working inside a prison, eating prison food for lunch
I enjoy working with others
Painter (Former Employee) –  Dillwyn, VAJanuary 3, 2013
Working as a team get goals completed in a efficient manner, you build good professional relationships. While I can work independently, the team is what gets the job done.
Great Place to Work
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Dillwyn, VAJuly 31, 2012
Great place to work if you would like to work as a Correctional Officer.