Dining Services Employee Reviews

Overall a good company. Co-workers were generally good to work with.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIMay 3, 2016
opportunity for career advancement. Work days average 10 hours per day. Pay and benefits are good.

However, after 30 years with this company, I was laid off with no warning.

Upper management was OK
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
healthcare insurance is pricey but the coverage is good.
It was okay.
General Employee (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, PAMay 23, 2016
It was a part time job I had through out college. Not a five-star full time job with good pay and benefits, but it did help pay the bills and introduced me to some long lasting friends.
Pros
good atmosphere
Cons
Short shifts, no breaks, no benefits.
Fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 27, 2016
Fast paced environment, with laid back staff. A lot of flexibility with schedule

No competitive pay or room for advancement.

Nice job, not a career.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay
Hated working here.
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIOctober 1, 2013
The managers in my department were horrible. There are people who have worked there for almost a decade, that have not had the opportunity to advance. Even when they are doing the work already without the proper compensation. They will work you as much as possible, they don't care if you are sick or if your family is celebrating a holiday. There is a benefit program for employees but trying to enroll for it is made very difficult by employer. Also trying to get your vacation is near impossible the forms are supposed to be made available but they never are. Job security is almost guaranteed because they will not pay unemployment. So they will not fire you they will make you want to quit instead.
Pros
Co-workers, pay
Cons
Management and employee apreciation
Challenging yet straight forward environment
Gazebo Snack Shop and Grill Employee (Former Employee) –  Berrien Springs, MIMay 22, 2012
Work consisted of handling the Cash register, making Submarine Sandwiches, working in the grill or stalking supplies. I learned to be concise and do everything to the best of my ability. Management was usually strict but allowed us a certain amount of flexibility in method of creating various food items. My co-workers were awesome people and we always had fun doing our work. The hardest part of my job was keeping up when we had rush hours and many many customers. I think the most enjoyable time of the job was spending time with my co-workers and greeting my friends when they came in to buy items.
Pros
free water, 40% discount in cafeteria on days of work
Cons
minimum wages, removal of previous benefits
Overworker and underpaid
Student Manager (Current Employee) –  Pullman, WAAugust 31, 2014
Although this is a food service position, management often under-scheduled. The people that were scheduled any given night had to work extremely hard and fast paced to meet the customer needs while fulfilling their job duties as well as the duties of another position since they were always understaffed. Working for this company has allowed me to grow as an individual while learning that hardwork pays off. It is easy to work your way up. I started as a regular employee, then worked up to a cashier then to a student manager. You are also able to meet and work with a lot of great people.
Pros
one free meal per day if you work 4+ hours.
Cons
No benefits, late nights, very fast paced
Residents are wonderful, management is poor
Part-time Night Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Clive, IAAugust 13, 2012
Great clients, but poor work force. Very high overturn with low expectations of work.
Pros
early nights, benefits availible if full-time
Cons
poor management, lack of communications
Great Place to work
Special Projects Member (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMarch 10, 2016
I worked many different areas. The people and managers are great. I would recommenced this to anyone looking to work in dining services.
Server
River Bay Club of Brookdale Senior Living (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAAugust 10, 2015
This was my first job, and it was decent. I mainly worked in the upstairs dining room, where residents with more severe dementia/Alzheimer's/stroke recovery eat dinner. In orientation, you learn a bit about how glaucoma and other eye conditions develop, as well as what happens to the brain and hand/eye coordination during aging, and a few other things.
Pros
you can take home a meal at the end of the night, most residents were sweet and kind
Cons
cranky customers, not a ton of room for advancement, this department is over-managed
Campus Student Job
Dinning Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Merced, CASeptember 5, 2015
Working at UCMerced Dinning was a great experience as I spend three years there. I've learned the importance of teamwork and improved my leadership skills. As a Coordinator, my main task was to make sure everything was running smooth and efficient throughout each shift. .
Pros
Worked with fellow students and friendly staff
Cons
Not many working hours per week
challenge workplace with friendly staff
Student Manager (Former Employee) –  Murray, KY 42071January 16, 2013
I have limited 20 work hours one week. My schedule is flexible since I had to show for any surprise reason. I trained student workers, analyzed details of net sales and assessed inventory weekly. I need to be a link between my upper leadership and student workers. At the same time, I understood some skills to guide and balance a team as a leader.The hardest part of the job is changing roles among different solutions. The most enjoyable part of the job is my co-workers, who supported my job, and my boss, who gave me a lot help both career and life.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short break
Great College Job
Student Manager (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, PASeptember 12, 2012
Dining services management allowed us as student managers to run the on-campus mini mart to give us experience in a management position. We were responsible for scheduling, training, inventory, cash flows, and overall daily functions of the mini mart. They also understood that while we were student managers the student came first and in my case they also catered towards my athletic responsibilities. This job taught me all the big and little things it takes to run a store as well as how to handle them and do them.
Pros
great experience with friends from class
Cons
had to deal with a lot of drunk kids (sometimes fun)
Working Multiple Stations
Assistant III at UCLA (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 19, 2015
I worked and were trained in multiple stations. Depending on the work that was going on that day would depend on the station that I would be working. I had to be able to work by myself if there were not plenty of workers available or if one station needed more workers to help with the rush.
Productive and fun worker
Jewish Senior Services (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CTJuly 30, 2015
My typical day at work is to punch in and get all my supplies or go to my work station ahead of time and get ready for the day. I am a great and hard worker and is willing to go above and beyond my working requirements.
Efficient and professional with supervisors who train very well.
Food Server (Current Employee) –  McDonough, GANovember 1, 2014
A typical day at work starts with the cooks preparing the food for us to set at our serving line. We make sure everything is in place and that there is enough food prepared for the entire mealtime. I learned how to stay on top of things, how to think ahead, and how to do things right and quickly. Overall, the management here is helpful, clear, and orderly. The supervisors make sure that we have everything that we need to do a good job, and they offer assistance if needed. My co-workers offer to help when they set up early and are very easy to get along with and to work along side. The hardest part of the job is to be patient with the cooks when they get behind on getting food into the hotboxes for us to serve when the food on our line gets low. The most enjoyable part of the job is setting up before all of the students arrive to eat and watching to see what food item needs to be refilled next. I like the busy atmosphere and being in the middle of craziness. It gives me the satisfaction of being the best server on the line by making sure none of the food items run out during a meal.
Pros
Money goes towards my college bill, job experience, and chance to meet new people.
Cons
Takes time out of studying or homework.
Great job for college students
Diet Aide (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 5, 2015
Great place to work for teens and young adults in school. People are nice and the work is very easy. I learned how to communicate with a variety of different kind of people. My co-workers were nice and fun to work with. Hardest part of the job is the rush you will get during lunch and dinner. I enjoyed the people there from the residents to my co-workers. Great working environment.
Pros
Free lunches/dinners
Cons
No room for growth
Convenient, Fun Job
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSAugust 15, 2013
Working for the university you attend is always very helpful. I worked for the cafeteria in the basement of the dorm I was living in. It was amazingly convenient to simply get ready for work in my room and walk downstairs to work. This was probably the best job I've ever had. My co-workers were all productive, fun, smart, goal-oriented people. My bosses appreciated everything I did, and gave me room to be creative and produce more opportunities to make new dishes and better ways to display them. All my co-workers, including my bosses, were my friends, and I think we altogether made quite the team. I got free food for working at the cafeteria, and that of course was a bonus. The hardest part of the job was doing the jobs that weren't so enjoyable, which most of the time involved the clean-up at the end of the day. I sustained a couple injuries while cleaning up at the end of the day: a couple cuts and a pretty bad burn. But the risk was worth it, because it was such a fun job. I think a lot of the time the team you work with makes the job the most enjoyable.
Fun place to work with a flexible schedule.
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJuly 3, 2015
Fun place to work and great for students. There are problems with some workers not doing their jobs and other people having to pick up the slack, but the managers are nice and helpful.
Pros
Employee meals, flexible schedule
Cons
Not a lot of hours
Nice College to work for
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PAAugust 11, 2015
I enjoyed my time with the College. Great people to work with and working with students made it all worth while. Hardest part was leaving.
Work day
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILMarch 16, 2015
I have learned a lot working for dining services. I worked for the laundry room and there was not much to do there. I would come in and clock in then head straight to my assigned area. I would start washing the aprons first or whatever is in the dirty laundry bin. This job was one of the easiest jobs I had. I enjoyed having some down time to get some other things done while I waited on the laundry to be done.
Pros
free drink
Cons
short hours, minimum wage

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dining Services. Our community is ready to answer.