Dining Services

Dining Services Employer Reviews

Efficient and professional with supervisors who train very well.
Food Server (Current Employee), McDonough, GANovember 1, 2014
Pros: money goes towards my college bill, job experience, and chance to meet new people.
Cons: takes time out of studying or homework.
A typical day at work starts with the cooks preparing the food for us to set at our serving line. We make sure everything is in place and that there is enough food prepared for the entire mealtime. I learned how to stay on top of things, how to think ahead, and how to do things right and quickly. Overall, the management here is helpful, clear, and orderly. The supervisors make sure that we have everything that we need to do a good job, and they offer assistance if needed. My co-workers offer to help when they set up early and are very easy to get along with and to work along side. The hardest part of the job is to be patient with the cooks when they get behind on getting food into the hotboxes for us to serve when the food on our line gets low. The most enjoyable part of the job is setting up before all of the students arrive to eat and watching to see what food item needs to be refilled next. I like the busy atmosphere and being in the middle of craziness. It gives me the satisfaction of being the best server on the line by making sure none of the food items run out during a meal.
Overworker and underpaid
Student Manager (Current Employee), Pullman, WAAugust 31, 2014
Pros: one free meal per day if you work 4+ hours.
Cons: no benefits, late nights, very fast paced
Although this is a food service position, management often under-scheduled. The people that were scheduled any given night had to work extremely hard and fast paced to meet the customer needs while fulfilling their job duties as well as the duties of another position since they were always understaffed. Working for this company has allowed me to grow as an individual while learning that hardwork pays off. It is easy to work your way up. I started as a regular employee, then worked up to a cashier then to a student manager. You are also able to meet and work with a lot of great people.
New and up and coming company
Regional Director (Current Employee), FloridaAugust 13, 2014
Pros: get to be creative
Cons: health insurance, no stipend for food
Training staff. Creating policies and procedures to make sure the buildings we oversee are compliant with both State and local regulators.
The co-workers are one of the reasons I like this job. They seem to grasp all that we expect of them and it's appreciated.
The hardest part of the job is trying to have any kind of personal life as I'm only home two days a week.
The best part of the job is seeing the joy on the residents faces when they have a meal that they truly enjoy.
Pretty good place to work.
Manager (Former Employee), Wesley enhanced living at PennypackJuly 1, 2014
Pros: opportunity
Nice place to work, allows room to grow.
Best parts are the residents and being able to think outside of the box and present new ideas,
productive
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), Houghton, MIJune 15, 2014
I worked in the dining halls on campus and also worked for the catering dept. out of the MUB. I really liked working there with the college students and my co workers
Absolutely loved it
Student Worker (Former Employee), Keyser, WVDecember 30, 2013
Pros: free meals
Cons: closing shift
Everyday was always fun and exciting. You never knew what kind of customers would come in. And the co-workers were always a blast to work with. Managers were always friendly but strict when needed to be.
Hated working here.
Deli Associate (Former Employee), Farmington Hills, MIOctober 1, 2013
Pros: co-workers, pay
Cons: management and employee apreciation
The managers in my department were horrible. There are people who have worked there for almost a decade, that have not had the opportunity to advance. Even when they are doing the work already without the proper compensation. They will work you as much as possible, they don't care if you are sick or if your family is celebrating a holiday. There is a benefit program for employees but trying to enroll for it is made very difficult by employer. Also trying to get your vacation is near impossible the forms are supposed to be made available but they never are. Job security is almost guaranteed because they will not pay unemployment. So they will not fire you they will make you want to quit instead.
Very normal low wage job
Warewasher (Former Employee), Berrien Springs, MISeptember 16, 2013
Typical work for the job included cleaning all dishes and silverware from the cafeteria, not much pay involved but a lot of hard work and long hour.
Convenient, Fun Job
Student Worker (Former Employee), Lawrence, KSAugust 15, 2013
Working for the university you attend is always very helpful. I worked for the cafeteria in the basement of the dorm I was living in. It was amazingly convenient to simply get ready for work in my room and walk downstairs to work. This was probably the best job I've ever had. My co-workers were all productive, fun, smart, goal-oriented people. My bosses appreciated everything I did, and gave me room to be creative and produce more opportunities to make new dishes and better ways to display them. All my co-workers, including my bosses, were my friends, and I think we altogether made quite the team. I got free food for working at the cafeteria, and that of course was a bonus. The hardest part of the job was doing the jobs that weren't so enjoyable, which most of the time involved the clean-up at the end of the day. I sustained a couple injuries while cleaning up at the end of the day: a couple cuts and a pretty bad burn. But the risk was worth it, because it was such a fun job. I think a lot of the time the team you work with makes the job the most enjoyable.
productive, interaction, team work related
Student Worker (Former Employee), Salisbury, MDAugust 13, 2013
Pros: free meals before/after shift
Cons: short or no breaks
I really enjoyed working here for three years. I learned a lot about the food/restaurant business as well as customer service to those who were dining in the common area.
I enjoyed being of service to others. I served food and beverages as well as cleaned up.
Dietary Aide (Former Employee), Grand Forks, NDJuly 30, 2013
Being of service to others, to me, is very enjoyable. Making sure that they have what they need to enjoy a meal is important.
Great Experience
Server (Current Employee), Pomona, CAJune 10, 2013
A great place to interact with different people from co workers to residents. You have a chance of learning something new about someone everyday.
Dining Services
Student Employee (Former Employee), Ewing, NJMay 13, 2013
The College of New Jersey offers various dining services under the company Sodexo. I had worked for the Ratskeller, while being a full-time undergraduate at the college. My duties involved cooking, serving food, and catering to students and customers. The Ratskeller was a good part-time job.
Fun place to work with great staff
Park Meadows Senior Living (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSMay 7, 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the residents.
challenge workplace with friendly staff
Student Manager (Former Employee), Murray, KY 42071January 16, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short break
I have limited 20 work hours one week. My schedule is flexible since I had to show for any surprise reason. I trained student workers, analyzed details of net sales and assessed inventory weekly. I need to be a link between my upper leadership and student workers. At the same time, I understood some skills to guide and balance a team as a leader.The hardest part of the job is changing roles among different solutions. The most enjoyable part of the job is my co-workers, who supported my job, and my boss, who gave me a lot help both career and life.
Great learning opportunity.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Marquette, MIDecember 20, 2012
Pros: always kept busy.
Cons: never really changed from day to day.
I started out as a regular employee that worked at the cashier station but was soon promoted to supervisor. I spent my shifts fulfilling supervisor responsibilities such as taking temperatures, making sure everyone shows up for shifts and keeping the place clean.
Great company to work for.
General Manager (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHOctober 19, 2012
Pros: free lunch
manage the staff that produces food for the cafe, catering and private dining room. Most days are busy and the time passes quickly.
Great College Job
Student Manager (Former Employee), Elizabethtown, PASeptember 12, 2012
Pros: great experience with friends from class
Cons: had to deal with a lot of drunk kids (sometimes fun)
Dining services management allowed us as student managers to run the on-campus mini mart to give us experience in a management position. We were responsible for scheduling, training, inventory, cash flows, and overall daily functions of the mini mart. They also understood that while we were student managers the student came first and in my case they also catered towards my athletic responsibilities. This job taught me all the big and little things it takes to run a store as well as how to handle them and do them.
Rewarding place to work for
Freedom Plaza Senior Living (Former Employee), Peoria, AZSeptember 12, 2012
Pros: get to interact with the residents
Cons: not full 40 worked hours
In this industry, the unexpected should be expected. No matter how the day is going, the rewarding part of it is to see smiley faces from the residents.
Residents are wonderful, management is poor
Part-time Night Supervisor (Current Employee), Clive, IAAugust 13, 2012
Pros: early nights, benefits availible if full-time
Cons: poor management, lack of communications
Great clients, but poor work force. Very high overturn with low expectations of work.