Direct Energy Employee Reviews in United States

Joke
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXAugust 8, 2016
They steal from people. Also Spread lies of their service I will never again work in that type of company. Managers keep money from employees.
Trying to do more with less
IT Project Manager (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 4, 2016
While the company takes care of its employees (not contractors) through expanded benefits geared towards health and wellness, where they come up short is in other areas crucial to employees, like career growth, supportive leadership, inter- and cross-department cooperation, and resource availability. The environment is akin to a small shop trying to be a big shop, yet don't quite have the time, money, knowledge and resources to pull it off yet. In addition, their frequent practice of overloading existing resources' workloads only sets them up for failure. But if you're an employee, you might only get a slap on the hand, but a contractor will get shown the door right away IF that contractor's frustration hasn't led them to find a better environment already. Too bad they consistently come in dead last in compensation when it comes to contractors too, otherwise QUALITY resources with the talent and knowledge to execute would actually stay or would take the job being posted. It's hard to do a job when you don't have the right tools to begin with, nor any instructions on how to do it their way. Coming from several corporate environments that have structure and stability already established, I see where DE wants to head towards, but certain leaders in critical spots seem to be holding them back from reaching that next level. Silos seem to be apparent everywhere, and every department is out to protect their own skins, yet are quick to sacrifice each other to save face. Not all leaders are bad, but I feel for them because in a better environment, they'd have so much more potential  more... and would be appreciated more. I've already seen other employees jump from several internal sinking ships, and maybe that's the writing on the wall. I already had my information about the work environment prior to my onboarding, and was even cognizant of the sub-par compensation rate I was getting for the level of work being required to perform, but I remained optimistic and was hoping for the better. Unfortunately, the harsh reality of the small shop mentality of "doing more with less" was too much to bear. If you do pursue an employment opportunity here, ensure you have the resources and leadership available, and you're comfortable with the pay you're going to receive for the mountain of work and pressure you're going to have to deal with.  less
Pros
Ping pong and foosball table in lunch room, discounted food ($.56 Monster drinks!); generally nice co-workers
Cons
Lack of leadership, resources and budget; blame-storming; very low pay rates
Very little diversity, limited growth potential
Regional Franchise Consultant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 24, 2016
The culture is very old school diversity does not exist and therefore promotions are limited. Nepitism has a tendancy to take priority over skills in management.
Pros
Salary is appropriate for position
Cons
No diversity and neptism is priority over skills needed to manange
High pressure sales and stressful management
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZ 85281July 12, 2016
No communication, so you have no idea what's going on. Management has no compassion for the abuse agents receive on the phone. They keep raising goals to unreachable numbers and then question why the teams are failing. Reporting is never correct, so we can not get paid accurately. Call center manager is a militant jerk, who enjoys belittling people in groups. The sales supervisors are all stressed. They keep hiring new ones, and letting the great ones leave. There are a ton of lawsuits from agents being treated unfairly. They even had to do a published apology for firing agents unjustly. The company is money hungry, and does not care how they treat the employees.
Pros
Offer bonus
Cons
Bonus is never correct.
Theyre striving to be better and will get there in a few years.
Sales and Marketing (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 5, 2016
Direct Energy strives to be a great company to work for but is lacking in many areas. They are a very large corporation but behave like a very new company with lots of undefined processes, outdated systems and a culture that struggles in cohesiveness.
Pros
Strong focus on heath and wellness
Cons
Leadership teams could use better training
This is a good company with excellent infrastructure.
Senior BI/SQL Developer (SQL/SSIS/SSAS/SSRS) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 4, 2016
It is a very good company.I really learnt may new things by working with this company. All my co-workers are always very supportive to me. And i used to finish all my work on time.
Productive call center
(SENIOR) SALES AND CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 28, 2016
Typical work day would be receiving up to 50-100 calls a day inquiring about services. Strong culture background and strong beliefs. Not too many opportunities to grow with company.
Trend-setting company for Oklahoma
Prepaid Electricity Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 27, 2016
The Tulsa office is almost solely an Operations environment with some escalated Customer Care.

My experience with management has been great, but there are always some managers who like to micro.

Advancement is nearly non-existent. The level you entered at is not likely to increase over time. Benefits are great, but the monetary compensation is lackluster. Because of this, some employees tend to give only the minimum required effort.

Company events (picnic, holiday party, etc.) are usually good and they love to raffle off nice prizes regularly.

Many of the company rules follow in the footsteps of trend-setting corporations like Google, Netlifx, etc. (unlimited vacation for salaried employees, paid maternity & paternity leave, transparency, and so on)
Doesnt pay their employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  tempe azJune 16, 2016
I worked here for almost a year under the same compensation plan when one day the management pulled the retention team into a meeting and said paying us all our bonuses wasnt going to fit in the budget. They owed me close to a 4 thousand dollar bonus check that I got 1200 from. SCAMMY PLACE TO WORK!!!!
Cons
doesnt pay their employees
High demand sale enviroment
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 15, 2016
Direct Energy is a high pace sales environment. If you're not into to selling and meeting conversion goals this is not the Job for you! They are trying very hard to make a positive culture for their sales reps but need to fix their compensation plan in order for them to gain buy in from their sales reps. The need to help their floor manager be with their teams more rather than hours and hours in meetings and on conference calls.
Pros
Good pay for sales reps and nice incentives.
Cons
Poor compensations and performance improvement plans
This is a great place to work
Rejection Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 8, 2016
I love this job. This place is like a 2nd home for me and I love it, They have changed over the 4years I have been here but I love it.
The management and co-workers fostered an environment to enjoy yourself while you learned and worked.
Sales Support Specialist (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJune 6, 2016
From my first day working there, I felt welcomed. Both my co-workers and management were very supportive and encouraging. It was a uniquely positive employment experience.
great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 29, 2016
I enjoyed working there. I learned how to work with people. Exceptional Customer Support Skills. Strong analytical, with problem solving and researched capabilities. Positive and proactive attitude.
Productive and fun place to work
CSR III - Offline Investigator (Former Employee) –  Ennis, TXMay 23, 2016
Direct Energy was a great place to work at prior to relocating. My co-workers and I worked great as a team. My Supervisor was also great to work for.
Pros
People and it was close to home
Cons
Short lunches
Productive and Easy Going
Inbound Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 10, 2016
A typical day consists of making and receiving telephone calls in order to assist customers and sign on new ones. Making outbound calls to renew contracts. taking inbound calls to enroll services, in addition to that, selling and pitching protection plans.
Very interactive and nicely paced job.
Sales/Claims Handling (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 5, 2016
Working at Direct Energy is very pleasant. There are many different cultures and opportunity. Supervisors always strive to improve their teams. Also training was always a priority and making sure all employees understood.
Pros
On-site cafe, two 15 minute breaks, training, health care
Cons
Sale structure
Productive env.
Technical & Functional Solutions Analyst (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJMay 3, 2016
Good place to work, productive environment, friendly atmosphere, great work life balance, supportive colleagues.

Great for learning and development.
Cons
Short breaks
Fun Environment
Facilities Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 25, 2016
Was a great year of employment. Full of wonderful people from all over the world. Multi Cultural environment was a great opportunity to learn new things. Needs work on transitioning employees out of company. Once your contract is up, you are no longer treated as an employee, but yet an outcast.
Pros
Free Parking
Master Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 24, 2016
A good company to work for in the Houston area to start with and continue on progressing. Overall a nice company to work for.
Raises far and few. Recognition far and few. But great start
Pros
Benefits, 401k
Cons
raises small
Carolyn's Day
HR Business Partner (Current Employee) –  Buffalo Grove, ILApril 15, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job at Direct Energy are the people.
The management staff from the CEO down to the line managers lead by example. This has created a very engaged workforce and a pleasant place to work.
Pros
Work Remotely at times
Cons
Long drive to office from my home