Direct Energy Employee Reviews

Work life balance
Wholesale Portfolio Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 25, 2016
Great work life balance but otherwise management is not supportive of employees despite what they say verbally. They do prioritize safety for employees but do not support internal promotions and developing employees.
Busy but exciting and fun
Credit Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 20, 2016
My coworkers are great. So is management. I have no problems getting up and being motivated to go to work. Work can be a bit stressful at times but everyone is always suportive
Benefits of hard work.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILOctober 19, 2016
Hard work, takes a lot of dedication. Great pay, excellent management. Took long road trips that benefited me wanting to further my career in sales, also having a great management staff helped my pro-managing at Red Lobster.
Productive Place to Work
HR Diversity Specialist / EEO Advisor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 7, 2016
Company takes talent development seriously...engaging environment. Fun activities for their employees, such as family outings around sports events and amusement parks
Great opportunity
SALESMAN (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2016
Direct Energy is a great company to anyone who is motivated to work long hours. Management is very dedicated and team is very genuine and supportive. I was enjoyed positive environment.
Needs Improvement
Office (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 5, 2016
My job title changed several times in a small time span. The departments are disorganized. The company does not do a good job of communicating between departments. Bad management. The best part is being forced to learn a lot in the chaos so when you leave you can take that knowledge somewhere stable
Good people but poor Management
Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 29, 2016
Leadership counts for everything in a organization. When you have poor leadership, it cascades to their managers and eventually the workers are the ones who suffer. How some people get to the level they are at with little experience is beyond me. If you smile the right way and rub elbows with enough people, you get promoted to positions you have absolutely no reason to be at. For a company that prides itself on supporting a million bucks to MS research and then walks (wheels them out in a wheel chair) a full time employee the day they return to work from being diagnosed is deplorable. No tact and poor people/management skills.
Fun learning experience
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJSeptember 24, 2016
I like working here however, the job security doesn't seem secure. I am learning a lot about sales and I am learning a lot about meeting new people and trying to interest them in lowering their energy costs and it is a bit challenging.
Pros
A big learning experience
Cons
Job security not stable
great place to work
Doorstep Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Troy, MISeptember 23, 2016
In my opinion i was working with great people in a positive environment. They provided us with the resource tools that we need to get out and excel at this job.
aye naw
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 18, 2016
When Mike and I set goals last spring, we did not expect the
Plans for Improvement:
Learn to trust members of your staff by letting them successfully complete delegated tasks and prove themselves.
Great Place to work.
Workforce Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 6, 2016
Alot of room to move into different positions, sales, customer service, this place has it all. You can start in one department and if you get bored there you can always apply to a different department, For the most part management is ok. Pay is good if your doing what you need to do and is a great place to gain experience in many different areas of call center work.
Direct Energy
Franchisee Business Development (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 29, 2016
Direct Energy provided a good culture, and a good pace environment.
Something I can take with me from my experience at Direct Energy is that I've learned how the franchising system works, as well as all the value that franchising can provide to a small to medium size business owner.
Co-Workers were always pleasant and willing to help out.
And the best part of the job was the travel, and getting to build great relationships.
Pros
Good Values
Cons
Too tight of parking spaces- I hate door dings in my car
Love to work on the challenging role
SAP BI/HANA Lead Consultant (Current Employee) –  Huston, PAAugust 12, 2016
Love to work on the challenging role with various people and different environments and fun at work is the main key factor to work in DE
Joke
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXAugust 8, 2016
They steal from people. Also Spread lies of their service I will never again work in that type of company. Managers keep money from employees.
Trying to do more with less
IT Project Manager (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 4, 2016
While the company takes care of its employees (not contractors) through expanded benefits geared towards health and wellness, where they come up short is in other areas crucial to employees, like career growth, supportive leadership, inter- and cross-department cooperation, and resource availability. The environment is akin to a small shop trying to be a big shop, yet don't quite have the time, money, knowledge and resources to pull it off yet. In addition, their frequent practice of overloading existing resources' workloads only sets them up for failure. But if you're an employee, you might only get a slap on the hand, but a contractor will get shown the door right away IF that contractor's frustration hasn't led them to find a better environment already. Too bad they consistently come in dead last in compensation when it comes to contractors too, otherwise QUALITY resources with the talent and knowledge to execute would actually stay or would take the job being posted. It's hard to do a job when you don't have the right tools to begin with, nor any instructions on how to do it their way. Coming from several corporate environments that have structure and stability already established, I see where DE wants to head towards, but certain leaders in critical spots seem to be holding them back from reaching that next level. Silos seem to be apparent everywhere, and every department is out to protect their own skins, yet are quick to sacrifice each other to save face. Not all leaders are bad, but I feel for them because in a better environment, they'd have so much more potential  more... and would be appreciated more. I've already seen other employees jump from several internal sinking ships, and maybe that's the writing on the wall. I already had my information about the work environment prior to my onboarding, and was even cognizant of the sub-par compensation rate I was getting for the level of work being required to perform, but I remained optimistic and was hoping for the better. Unfortunately, the harsh reality of the small shop mentality of "doing more with less" was too much to bear. If you do pursue an employment opportunity here, ensure you have the resources and leadership available, and you're comfortable with the pay you're going to receive for the mountain of work and pressure you're going to have to deal with.  less
Pros
Ping pong and foosball table in lunch room, discounted food ($.56 Monster drinks!); generally nice co-workers
Cons
Lack of leadership, resources and budget; blame-storming; very low pay rates
Very little diversity, limited growth potential
Regional Franchise Consultant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 24, 2016
The culture is very old school diversity does not exist and therefore promotions are limited. Nepitism has a tendancy to take priority over skills in management.
Pros
Salary is appropriate for position
Cons
No diversity and neptism is priority over skills needed to manange
High pressure sales and stressful management
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZ 85281July 12, 2016
No communication, so you have no idea what's going on. Management has no compassion for the abuse agents receive on the phone. They keep raising goals to unreachable numbers and then question why the teams are failing. Reporting is never correct, so we can not get paid accurately. Call center manager is a militant jerk, who enjoys belittling people in groups. The sales supervisors are all stressed. They keep hiring new ones, and letting the great ones leave. There are a ton of lawsuits from agents being treated unfairly. They even had to do a published apology for firing agents unjustly. The company is money hungry, and does not care how they treat the employees.
Pros
Offer bonus
Cons
Bonus is never correct.
Theyre striving to be better and will get there in a few years.
Sales and Marketing (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 5, 2016
Direct Energy strives to be a great company to work for but is lacking in many areas. They are a very large corporation but behave like a very new company with lots of undefined processes, outdated systems and a culture that struggles in cohesiveness.
Pros
Strong focus on heath and wellness
Cons
Leadership teams could use better training
This is a good company with excellent infrastructure.
Senior BI/SQL Developer (SQL/SSIS/SSAS/SSRS) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 4, 2016
It is a very good company.I really learnt may new things by working with this company. All my co-workers are always very supportive to me. And i used to finish all my work on time.
Productive call center
(SENIOR) SALES AND CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 28, 2016
Typical work day would be receiving up to 50-100 calls a day inquiring about services. Strong culture background and strong beliefs. Not too many opportunities to grow with company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Direct Energy. Our community is ready to answer.