Directbuy Employee Reviews in United States

Sadly, a sinking ship
Digital Content Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INJanuary 19, 2016
I've worked at DirectBuy since the summer of 2012. I've learned a great deal about email and content marketing campaigns in my time here. There are a ton of smart people in every department and I wish the company the very best, but I'm afraid it might be too little too late.
Pros
Casual Fridays, made some great friends, learned a lot
Cons
Health benefits not great, the company's downward spiral has led to numerous pay raise and hiring freezes, putting a lot of pressure on reduced staff to overproduce.
Very professional atmosphere
Reservation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INDecember 9, 2015
Typical day at work:
Answering phone calls, emails, leaving voicemails, calling customers, setting appointments.

learned:
How to handle tough situations. Problem-solving, working well with others. MS Word. Presentations.

From May 2014 -April 2015 the management was awful!
From May 2015 - November 19th the management was awesome!

Co-workers: Awesome!

The hardest part of the job: Sales.

My Co-workers!
Pros
free coffee free lunch sometimes and potlucks
Calling Solicitation
Guest Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, TX 75182February 27, 2016
The surrounding was not good no lighting at the back of the building
some of co workers know be on drugs. This job is very decieving
Pros
There was nothing encouraging about this job at al
Cons
This job provided a bridge for me to acquire another position
Help
Director (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INApril 27, 2016
Business is struggling. Difficult place to work. Lots of changes on the horizon. Very old boy environment. Not an inclusive work environment.
Pros
Always something new
Cons
Not stable
not a place to work
Merchandise Specialist (Former Employee) –  Merriville,INJune 22, 2014
management not very nice or personable. The work load is not worth the pay. They offer poor PTO time, You are supposed to support the team members in your group but more often then not you end up working on your work, someone else work in your group, and also another groups work which you are poorly trained on. While expected to finish your own reports within the time givin. Also you are not allowed to socialize and meet the people you work with so the team effort is not cemented within the company. You end up with poor service and employees who do not like the job. This is one of the reasons for the companies high turn over ratings. Also the raises that were promised with hire never come around. One person had been employed with Directbuy for five years and had not received any raises that was supposed to be given. The managers are very rude and act with heirs and superiority.
Pros
decent schedule
Cons
rude management and poor pto
Repetitive job task
Reservation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INNovember 6, 2015
The job has great benefits but not a lot of room to advance in the call center. The co-workers can be messy but the key is just getting the work done. Overall the environment is laid back. It requires a lot of patience to work in a call center.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Might have to talk to rude people
Can't complain at all!
Home Delivery Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INJune 3, 2014
The work environment is awesome at DirectBuy! Everyone is nice, friendly, and courteous to each other. Management is fair and personable. The benefits are awesome, and the pay is above average for Indiana. To top it all off, the moral is sky high! Every month there is a company wide meeting where the employee of the month is awarded with praise, a trophy, airfare to the company conference (this year it was in Orlando, FL), a VIP parking spot, and a few other nice things. Other employees win gift cards, and are also recognized for things like team work, doing a job well done and other categories. The office closes at 3 on Fridays during the summer, there is breakfast with the CEO, celebrations for birthdays, "spirit days", fun competitions to raise money for various charities and causes. AND more-than-the-normal amount of paid holiday. Just to name a few things. If you can get a job at DirectBuy - you are lucky, because it's an amazing place to work :)
Pros
see my review (to many to list)
Cons
work week is only 37.5hrs/wk
fun and chellenging
Franchisee, Call Center Mgr and Director of Sales (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAFebruary 28, 2016
I loved working for DirectBuy. Unfortunately I moved to a place where there was no franchise. I learned so much in the field of sales and marketing.
Pros
Great commissions
Cons
Lack of work balance
Required analytical thinking. Workflow was cyclical.
Franchise Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Merrilliville INSeptember 21, 2015
The workplace has changed substantially over the 14 years I was employed there. A lot of ideas were recreating the wheel, but change is inevitable. The insurance was terrific and the yearly increase of cost was covered by the company until this year.
Pros
Full time hours were 37.50 a week
Cons
Politics
I take pride in my work, love to help others!
Director of Public Relations (Current Employee) –  Roswell, GAOctober 26, 2015
Handled inbound and outbound calls to and from customers. Scheduled appointments daily to come in to an Open House to potentially become members. Processed changes on accounts. Trained others to handle the same tasks. Was given a top 5 award in just the last few months over all the DirectBuys across the US and Canada for lead generation that actually turned into members. I take pride in what I do at any job. I have over 30 years of Customer Service. I enjoy being a customer service representative and making the customers happy, where they will remember you the next time they call in!
Pros
it's a franchise----great folks to work with
Cons
no insurance, no paid Holidays, no sick days
Decent workplace, not a big enough team to perform tasks required by upper management
Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INOctober 6, 2014
Work is typical just like any other job. Review emails, tickets, and update projects. I learned a great deal on the job, but i have plateaued at my current position and want to learn more. Management is decent but does not recognize individuals for graduating from school. They pay well below industry average for positions, even well below average for the area. Co-workers are great, friendly, and very helpful. Hardest part of the job is coming in to work to do all the work, knowing that you have plateaued with no room to grow. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with other co-workers because they make it enjoyable at this company.
Pros
1hr lunches
Cons
no room for advancement, does not recognize individuals for graduating in a field that is for current job functions
Professional, dedicated and fun environment!
Administrative Assistant to Director of Sales (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INAugust 22, 2014
I worked m-f 830-5. I worked overtime a couple hours once in a while.
I developed my professional communication and sales skills. I learned to multi-task, through excellent coaching from my supervisors and managing many areas of the sales dept.
Management was absolutely amazing in their professionalism, team work, dedication and passion.
My co-workers really worked together as a team and were always positive and productive.
The hardest part was that the company was bought out from the original owners. The culture changed dramatically.
I loved the culture previous to the buy out.
Pros
wonderful culture.
Cons
company was bought out and culture was not as warm and team-oriented
It was nice experience in DirectBuy
Lead developer (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INDecember 1, 2015
I learned a lot in DirectBuy. Endeca, Commerce server, Web API, Handlebar templates, JQuery, SSIS, SSRS and etc. Co-workers are great and nice. I completely owned the DirectBuy PIM system
Pros
Nice friendly environment
Great people, poor management and behind the times
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INJuly 2, 2015
I was employed for this organization for approximately 11 years. I very much enjoyed the work and the actual responsibilities within the various positions. Over the years, I had several mentors that contributed a great deal to my overall successes and that contributed to my growth as an individual. I worked for nearly 7 years facilitating vendor relationships and working as an advocate for the DirectBuy franchises. The remaining three years, I learned much within the IT field. However, during this time, it became more apparent that we were not up to date with the latest technology which made everyone's work much more complicated. We spent our funding in all the wrong places and salaries were not up to par with industry standards. However, the hardest part of working for this organization was seeing the complete disregard for valuable employees. Two large layoffs took place during my time with the company with no rhyme or reason to the manner in which employees were terminated. A number of other associates were let go over the years with questionable ethics and poor human resource management of personnel. Even the CEO was likely unprepared the day his replacement was literally walking in as he was escorted out. It was truly unfortunate, because the concept behind the organization is brilliant, but management's cut-throat tactics behind running the business made it tolerable at best to work for them.
Pros
Free Membership, Peers/Colleagues, Spirit Days, Business Concept
Cons
Poor Management, Poor Budget Allocation, Questionable Work Ethic throughout organization, Lack of Documentation and Proper Training, Not up to date with Technology and Business Practices
Franchise owner actually lied about job requirements.
Bookeeper/ Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILApril 13, 2014
I was hired for bookkeeping. I was actually responsible for that plus human resources, office managent. The added jobs did not reflect a raise in pay.
Cons
poor management
not so great
Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  Weslaco, TXAugust 7, 2014
The people were very friendly and helpful at times.. since the cubicles are in back a lot of the workers came in with a foul mood at times. And the management wanted us to hide who we were, I was told to change my voice because my Mexican accent was too strong, so I had to speak like a "non-Spanish speaking woman" and had to tell other Mexicans that I did not know Spanish and hang up at once!
Pros
weekends off
Cons
short breaks, long hours
Its where I have worked for 6 years.
❸ Manager (Current Employee) –  Rockwall,TXSeptember 27, 2013
I do more work then others, and I do jobs that I am not paid to do. The owners need to take classes in how to run a business. I have more education then any other person that works for your company and that includes the owners. I love the people that work for me they are great people but at the end of the day its just business.
Pros
love the people i work for and work with
Cons
no benefits, no pot, no room for improvement or raises.
Like A Second Family
Customer Service Manager/Cabinetry Consultant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 6, 2013
The service staff stays very busy. The customers are great and a lot of them are like family.I have learned a great deal working here. I started when I was 18 and I have been for over 10 years. One of the main things I learned, that has helped me in my professional and personal life is patience and how to listen. We have a great report with all of our customers. The owners are always here and are very friendly. We can always go to them when we need something or have an issue. Our service staff is small and we are very close. We always try to motivate one another and I will miss them. The hardest part of the job is not having enough staff to cover the work load but we make it work. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and building trust and relationships with them.
Pros
hours, friendly staff
Cons
no benefits
I was given substantial latitude to implement a broad range of marketing and branding stratigies
Sales (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLAugust 10, 2015
Very rewarding. My first experience in a franchise environment and working for a large investment group. I had some extraordinarily bright
colleagues who, like myself, took advantage of every opportunity to make ourselves valuable to the organization
A very fun place to work for
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 6, 2015
Send out emails and inquiries.
I can educate you from doors, windows to furniture and diamonds. Its so diverse and the categories are so broad your learning is endless here.
This type of job is so broad you can't learn everything but you must know who to ask if you don't know the answer.
The hardest part of the job is to provide actual ETA dates on orders but as we all know, most things are made to order and ETA can change daily, the members are going to want instant gratification but you have to remind them we don't stock anything. I enjoyed working with members on what to put in their homes, being a part of that is so amazing because some people need the expertise in making that finial decision.
Pros
Help members spend their money and not a commision base job
Cons
Must work on Saturday.

2.6