DIRECTIONS FOR LIVING Employee Reviews in United States

Fast Paced, exciting, rewarding and challenging
Child Safety & Adoptions Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLJanuary 21, 2016
Although I enjoyed my employment at DFL, as an Administrative Assistant, there was little to no room for advancement. I absolutely adored my Program Director as well as assisting the Assistant Program Directors, Supervisors and Case managers. Due to my desire to advance within the company I unfortunately had to resign my position to return to school to complete my degree.
Pros
There was never a short of projects to complete
Cons
Higher education needed for advancement within the company
A company held together with band-aids
Child Safety Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Largo, FLDecember 24, 2015
You will spend the first 6 weeks in "training" that does not actually teach you how to do your job when you get out, the only thing it teaches you is how to pass your test. The expectations for this job are unreal and you will have several supervisors constantly yelling at you for not meeting deadlines, but offer little in the way of actually helping you do a better job. Turn over is insane at this place, and if you want to have any sort of life outside of work, forget about it; your 12 hour days will ensure that you don't. Be prepared to work off the clock as well. No room in the budget for overtime, but they will expect you do get it done anyway.
Pros
You will never complain about future jobs again.
Cons
You'll turn into an alcoholic.
Worst place to work unless you want to work 14 hour days with no overtime pay
case manager (Current Employee) –  Largo, FLMay 21, 2016
You are expected to work 14 hours or more a day and no overtime is allowed or approved so you are basically working for free. Expectations are unrealistic. No one listens to case managers concerns
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Awful benefits, low salary, poor upper management
Learning about all the different types of mental health
Customer Service Rep- Front (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLMay 6, 2016
Its a good company to work for, everyone works as a team, no matter what area you worked in. Working with the medical staff was a big learning experience
Pros
insurance
Cons
pay
There is no room for advancement for people of color.
Family Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Largo, FLOctober 14, 2015
There is no room for advancement for people of color. The management is not supportive. The advancement opportunities are not decided on your knowledge, but who you know.
Serious work ethics
In-Home Outpatient Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New Port Richey, FloridaOctober 21, 2015
The culture and co-workers were exceptional but being that this was a satellite agency, once funding became difficult at the main agency, our agency closed without notice.
Pros
My supervisor was an excellent asset.
Cons
Company closed offices without notice.
Stressful and reactive
Child Welfare Case Management Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLFebruary 10, 2014
Highly stressful and reactive work environment. Middle management was encouraged to lead with ultimatums. Workload/ hours worked were excessive relative to salary. Good job security for competent employees. Competitive wages.
Poor management
Diversion Program - Starkey Lakes (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLNovember 10, 2013
They require too much for their counselors and case managers to handle. They hardly ever praise when one does a good job but are there to "put you down" you need improvement.
Love the job
Family Counselor (Current Employee) –  Largo, FLSeptember 15, 2015
DFL is a nice place to work. Its time for a change. The people are nice and so are the managers. We provide counseling to families referred by DCF
Loved Co- Workers Management Needs Improvement
Former Employer (Former Employee) –  FloridaNovember 12, 2014
No two days where same and the job is fast paced and documentation heavy! I enjoyed the work I done when it came to assisting my families and working in unison with them and the families seeing their success. It was rewarding making even a small difference. Management became very robotic and employees received little to no appreciation but heavy in criticism. As an employee you always knew what you did wrong. It seemed as if management forgot that Case Managers are also human and have families and lives outside of the job. Sometimes the hours were long and there were times I felt like no one cared to ask how we were doing just get things done and the atmosphere became all about numbers and not quality of service.
Pros
some co workers were great
Cons
non-human supervisors and bad mouthing of coworkers from others in the same organization
Office work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJuly 16, 2015
i would come in to an slow environment at directions for living. the co workers was always sad and show that they did not want to be there and also the things i did learn is how to work with patient files.
Work load is unreasonable and non appreciative of employees
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLDecember 1, 2014
It appeared to be more about looking good on paper for grants than helping people. They expect you to complete an unrealistic work load and frown on any overtime. If you want to keep up you will be working on your own time. Loved the families and the work and the successes that took place. Most of the co-workers were great, upper management was another story. They run it as a punitive system, if you don't have enough production you get written up. You rarely hear about doing a good job.
Pros
the famiies
Cons
unrealistic work load
Child Safety Case Manager
CHILD SAFETY CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLMay 7, 2015
Good experience with case management on the judicial side. Good staff and teammates. However, high turnover rate and case load. Insufficient training. High stress level.
Very needed organization, how ever needs a drastic restructioning!
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  St Petersburg FlOctober 4, 2014
This is a organization that is very very needed in the community, because of the services it renders. The job is rewarding when you have done your best to get someone to the next level or help a client complete and be able to reach there goal. A typical day at work for me is all about my service to the client. I've learned, if I do my part and be available to help in any other facets of the organization, that's rewarding to me, and that's the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
a very much needed organization
Cons
organization needs a restructure
Summary
Senior Director of Integrated Behavioral Health (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 30, 2015
Significant management problems at the CEO level. CEO is not engaged on a daily basis. 4 of 5 Senior Management individuals have left since I left.
Not productive
Homeless Outreach Specialist (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLApril 26, 2013
Enjoy working with this population and I have a compassion for this job and it's very rewarding by helping someone get their life back.
Pros
my strength that i have the ablility to help others and relate with all type of people.
Cons
show no appreciations to the employees.
fun workplace
homeless case manager (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLMay 30, 2014
no two days were the same. co workers were awesome to work with. Hardest part of the job is seeing the children not be able to go home with parents. Fun part of job is knowing that the children are in safe place and getting all needs met at.
Great place for advancement
Behavioral Health Care Manager/Intern (Current Employee) –  Largo, FLJune 12, 2013
Great place for growing professionally. There are several positions available for you to understand the broad view of working with the mental health population.
Great learning experiences
Sr. Front Desk Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Largo, FLMay 28, 2014
In my time here I have sharpened my skills. I have learned to deal with moments of high stress and emergencies with poise, ease and grace.
co workers are great
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Largo, FLMarch 20, 2014
usually a lot of overtime but not much time for a life outside of work

2.4