DISABILITY SERVICES OF THE SOUTHWEST

DISABILITY SERVICES OF THE SOUTHWEST Employer Reviews

GREAT COMPANY
Personal Care Attendant (Former Employee), FORT WORTH, TXFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: they give raises and bonuses
Cons: sometimes you don't get mileage pay
THIS IS A GOOD COMPANY THEY HAVE CLIENTS ALL OVER THE METROPLEX. DSSW IS A GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR.
Great job if you're willing to work hard
Recruitment and Retention Manager (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXNovember 15, 2013
Pros: willing to try new ideas, allows autonomy, learning is valued, health/wellness valued, supports growth, rewards loyalty
Cons: budget is tight and it is difficult to provide deserving caregivers with a raise.
This company does important work and highly values great customer service skills. The staff, whether field or office, contribute to ensuring that people with disabilities across Texas receive the direct care and support services that they need. I am happy to be a part of an organization with a great mission and where I feel that my work is meaningful. – more... The company has a great open door policy and encourages employee feedback and suggestions for improvement.

So, I was shocked to see such an unfortunate and misleading review left a few weeks ago by a member of the team who is no longer here. I’d like to contribute my own review of DSSW to clarify some of the statements made. Yes, this is a family run company and there are a few people in top leadership positions that are related by blood. However, this is not to say that there are not opportunities for others to enter and advance within this company. I am not related to anyone here and I do not feel that my growth opportunities are limited because of it. We also encourage employee referrals so that we can build a workforce of trustworthy people that get along with one another. This is hugely advantageous in cutting down on problems other companies face such as high turnover, fraud, and poor employee relations. So, it’s a family friendly work environment. There are several couples and family members working here that are not related at all to the CEO.

Yes, the CEO is part time. He is also in his late 70’s and a cancer survivor. The man just wants to retire, but wants to make sure that there is a solid foundation for future leadership to take over. San Antonio is our corporate headquarters, so yes, there are a lot of Administrative positions centralized here rather than scattered throughout our smaller branch locations. Benefits are comparable to other companies of similar size in the industry, if not better in certain respects. There are several medical plans, tuition reimbursement, bonus opportunities, an internal Wellness Program at no cost to the employee, long and short term disability is paid by the employer, etc. “Not willing to invest in their employees’ future”? I don’t even know where this comment is coming from. The company has made great strides in the last year to improve company culture, flow of communication, increase/improve benefit options, roll out new programs, expand training programs, etc. The whole strategy here is to invest in our infrastructure and employee base so that better services can be provided to our clients. This is just a factually inaccurate statement to make!

In short: Ethical, hardworking people. Great place to work if you want a career in a field where you make a difference in peoples’ lives. – less
DSSW
FINANCIAL ANALYST (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXOctober 31, 2013
Nepotism runs rampant. CEO is part-time and Corporate Administrative staff is very heavy. Limited benefits, no retirement. Company is not willing to invest in their employees future.
good company
health care attendant/floater (Former Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 25, 2013
Pros: good company
Cons: must have transportation
direct care attendant. you must have patience to work with clients with disabilities. possible staff and workers
Almost like not working at all!
Personal Attendant (Former Employee), Austin, TXMay 29, 2013
My experience was much closer to simply spending time with a new friend. Cooking meals, running errands and mostly just hanging out.
Flexible in the field experience.
Attendant (Former Employee), Longview, TXMay 29, 2013
Pros: family filled trips.
Cons: n/a
This job was the most rewarding from working with special needs kids.
flexible
Respite Attendant (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXNovember 18, 2012
Pros: flexible hours and overtime
Cons: no health benefits
It is a good company for those who love working with the disabled. I learned a lot about how hard it is for those with disabilities. I am going to college to teach special education because of the experience I gained at this job. The most enjoyable part was the overtime and the freedom to make my own schedule if I needed to.
Massage Therapy
Independent Contractor- Massage Therapist (Former Employee), Temple, TXAugust 11, 2012
Pros: rewarding work
Cons: distances traveled
I worked as an Independent Contractor providing massage therapy for disabled clients. The most rewarding part of this job was the one-to-one interaction with my clients and the gratitude that was received for the care that was provided by the clients/families. The hardest part of my job was the long distances that I had to travel to see my clients.
Productive workplace with great people.
Habilitation Attendent (Former Employee), Waco, TXAugust 1, 2012
Pros: free trips and training
Cons: no breaks or lunches
I assisted an individual with everyday living functions as well as school work. I learned that everyone is capable of production in society. The most enjoyable part of this job was to see the end result from the effort the individual had put forth.
productive work place
CNA Caregiver (Former Employee), El Paso, TXJune 21, 2012
Pros: helping the patient
Cons: hard heavy work
Working with a disabled patient was hard work. I love helping other people in so many ways. The hardest part of my job was to bathe the patient. The most enjoyable part was making my patient laugh and smile.
Good Place to Work
Recruiter and Retention Manager (Current Employee), Austin, TXMarch 24, 2012
Growing company that is fast paced.I have worked here a year and a half and have watched it grow quickly
very challenging job
Personal Care Attendant (Former Employee), Dallas, txMarch 22, 2012
it was a pretty good experience working with people with disability. it was very challenging cause u criteria changes everyday.