Working under the direction of the Senior Accounting Manager, the Staff Accountant’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, preparing general ledger account reconciliations, calculating and filing monthly sales tax returns, and daily cash collection.
The staff accountant will play a key role in the execution of the company’s accounting systems, practices, controls, and procedures in conformance with generally accepted accounting principles.
The Staff Accountant must be able to work well in a team environment as s/he works closely with the Accounting team as well as members of the company's sales, production and operations staff. The Staff Accountant will be called upon to identify problems and solutions, and to work collaboratively with the Senior Accounting Manager and management team to ensure implementation. The Senior Staff Accountant must have excellent technical and communication skills.
- Supports the entries and maintenance of the general ledger by ensuring correct, proper, and timely recording of transactions in the general ledger in accordance with GAAP and Company policies.
- GL month-end journal entries preparation
- Monthly general ledger account reconciliations
- Assist in the annual financial audit and preparation of tax return work papers
- Other general ledger duties as assigned
- Prepare and file the following tax returns:
1.Sales & Use tax returns in multiple states.
2.Canadian Sales tax return
3.Property tax return
4.Various Government reporting as required.
Cash and Receivables
- Perform daily cash “sweeps” of multiple online retailers’ accounts.
- Prepare daily cash tracking report for communication to Senior Management.
- Support the Financial Analyst in the preparation of the weekly cash forecast
- Prepare general ledger journal entries to record cash transactions
- Support the Senior Manager of Accounting in the preparation of monthly bank reconciliations.
Job Experience / Requirements
- Five years of Accounting Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or equivalent
- Strong understanding of GAAP
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and financial systems software required (knowledge or experience of SAP is an advantage)
- Ecommerce experience in cash application and/or billing is required.
- Experience preparing and filing Sales tax returns is required.
- Strong, concise written and oral communication skills necessary; strong analytical skills;
- Must be able to work under pressure, meet deadlines, multi-task and work independently;
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management and third parties.