Discovery Communications

Discovery Communications Employer Reviews

Fun and interesting place to work
Benefits Analyst (Current Employee), Silver Spring, MDMay 24, 2014
Its a unique environment. Creative and fun and also competitive. Each office location and department has its own culture with different offerings.
Discovery Internships
Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 28, 2014
Discovery was a great place to learn many new and exciting things. They treat the interns with respect and there is always something fun going on in the office. It was a great experience.
Great company to work for!
Manager (Current Employee), Silver Spring, MDMarch 26, 2014
Discovery has a great work / life balance and good benefits.
Wonderful place to work
Project Coordinator/Video Editor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 16, 2014
I really enjoyed my time at this company. Lots of comeraderie, great working environment.
Youth Oriented Culture
Marketing Project Manager (Current Employee), Silver Spring, MDFebruary 11, 2014
Its very much like a college campus with various events each week. But, the downside is the office politics. Because everyone is young and eager to grow, they don't mind stepping on toes (with a smile).
Fun place but limited growth
Manager - IT Internal Audit (Former Employee), Silver Spring, MDFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: on-site health center, cafeteria, childcare (not cheap though), people
Cons: limited promotions, hierarchical mentality
Discovery, the home of Honey Boo Boo, Mythbusters, Deadliest Catch and so on, is an enormously fun place to work. You will learn a great deal about the reality TV market and watch as this company just grows!

The people are interesting, everyone is very personable and open to making even the most mundane idea a great one.

However, management direction – more... is not always consistent or clear. What may seem like a fairly straightforward task can turn into the biggest nightmare created. I would say more, but not here.

Everyone agrees the benefits are the biggest draw. On-site childcare, an on-site health center with free prescriptions refills, excellent training opportunities and frequent events to keep everyone connected all serve to make it hard to leave. – less
Discovering Discovery Communications
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Silver Spring, MDDecember 17, 2013
While in my current position at Discovery Communications, I am learning a lot about myself and the company.
Productive work enviroment
Traffic Operations Manager (Former Employee), Miami, FLDecember 13, 2013
Pros: meet department deadlines
Cons: meet department deadlines
very challenging
if we work as a team we can meet department deadlines
The Management very professional
great team
the hardest part of work was meet the deadlines
get alone as a department
It's fun place to work
QA Lead (Current Employee), Silver Spring, MDDecember 10, 2013
It's fun place to work, It's below average company to work.
so, i worked as a contractor
Fun, ethical, and interesting company.
Project Manager - Footage and Music Operations (Former Employee), Silver Spring, MDDecember 4, 2013
This company often has department with an exciting, entrepreneurial spirit. I learned a lot. Great people to work with.
surrounded by people who know what they are doing, everyone is helpful
Solutions Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 15, 2013
Pros: fun people, didnt work too late
Cons: short breaks, no advancement, low pay
Working at Discovery was a good experience overall. Top TV networks, Oxygen, TLC, OWN, Discovery channel, Animal Planet, the pay was very low, and it is hard to move up in the business.
Large reputable company with very good benefits
Sales Assistant- Direct Response Ad Sales (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 8, 2013
The New York office houses many different departments. One thing that is evident across the board is the pride employees have in the Discovery brand.
Fun Employer, Dedicated Employees
Programmer (Current Employee), Miami, FLSeptember 23, 2013
Pros: amazing benefits, good work/life blanace.
Cons: professional growth limited in some offices.
As an employee in the Miami, FL office I have nothing but wonderful things to say about Discovery Communications. This organization has been a wonderful launch pad for my career and allowed for both tremendous personal and professional growth. I am fortunate enough to be under an amazing managment team that really nourishes professional growth. Discovery – more... employs a very intelligent and driven staff. – less
Work hard and be positive
Tech (Current Employee), Silver Spring, MDSeptember 18, 2013
- Most of the time my typical days are very busy.
- To be positive. Since I deal with many people over the phone, through email, Microsoft Lync and in person; being positive helped me to have a clean mind every day when finish my day.
An open and fun place to work.
Master Control Operator (MCO) (Former Employee), Sterling, VASeptember 17, 2013
Pros: benefits, the people, money
Cons: not much
Very much like when I worked for Walt Disney World, Magic Kingdom, in Orlando, Fl. Everyone smiling and happy to be there. The difference if at Walt Disney World, Magic Kingdom it was mandatory, at Discovery they genuinely were nice people who treated you with mutual respect.

As for the work, not your typical master control job. You viewed the programming – more... three hours in advance. So you have plenty of time to correct it. – less
Great benefits, disorganized corporate structure
Web Publisher (Former Employee), Atlanta, GASeptember 16, 2013
Pros: benefits, hr is helpful to employees, fantastic colleagues
Cons: poor communication from management
Discovery offers fantastic benefits and a plethora of helpful perks, including telecommunting in the Digital division. However, the constant change and lack of communication from the top hinder career progression and constant reorgs make it difficult for even top performers to make the level of impact that they want to.
Amazing Place to work
Media Planning Coordinator (Current Employee), Miami, FLAugust 22, 2013
A Discovery job is a dream come true for anyone. It is a place that makes you feel happy every morning as you drive to work. This company has made me the woman and professional that I am today. I don't believe I have a "hardest part of the job" story. Every challenge I've faced (if any) as been a blessing in disguise because its made me stronger and – more... has helped me advance in my career. The most enjoyable part is how much they care about the well being of their employees that it makes you so proud to work for them. – less
Great place to work; professional atmosphere.
Communications consultant (Former Employee), Coeur d'Alene, IDAugust 13, 2013
I loved this job, however the economy forced the closure of our division and all Discovery employees in my branch were laid off.
Fun place to work
Ad Sales Manager - Controller (Current Employee), Miami, FLAugust 4, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Fun place to work with great co-worker who are committed to help in order to make my job easier.
As this is an industry that is always changing you will always learn something new, sometimes it could be very demanding as there is a lack of personel in some areas creating bottle necks.
Flexible with the dressing code.
Majority of people are young.
Looks Great From the Outside
Director, Interactive Production (Current Employee), Silver Spring, MDJuly 25, 2013
Pros: great benefits, good location
Cons: constant changes in direction and no loyalty to anyone
So much happens so fast in the TV world. When you're up it's great, but when things are tough, management gets ousted, departments get slashed, and strategies go out the window. It's a hamster wheel, and employees hang on for March bonus time.

1 2 3

About Discovery Communications

Discovery Communications allows viewers to go on safari without ever having to leave their couch. It is the world's #1 non-fiction – Read more