Discovery House Employee Reviews

Micromanagaed, Overworked and Burnout!
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Reseda, CAJanuary 1, 2017
Not only are you dealing with a difficult population but the higher management will ridicule your every move. You are there to help clients in difficult times and you are also a housekeeper. Hard to see which position the company is more concerned about. The director comes through the house and every employee is scared. Lots of burnt out employees that take it out on each other. It's an ulcer waiting to happen.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Stressful and not worth it.
I think the company it self is good. I think the people higher up need to know what the people down below are really doing.
CSUDC/Certified Substance Use Disorder Counselor (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTNovember 7, 2016
It's a good company if the management likes you. They don't care if you work through your lunch breaks or if you are burnt out
If you say anything you don't get help you get in trouble.
Pros
It could be a great place to work.
Cons
They dont care if you work through your lunch.
Intensive work environment.
Intake Coordinator, Clinician (Former Employee) –  Waterville, MEJanuary 13, 2017
Typical day is non-stop from 5 am till end of day. Little concentration on an employees well-being. Lacks communication, some co-workers are supportive and attempt to be team players.
Pros
Nice building to work in.
Cons
No clear directives on issues presented.
Team work has deteriorated in last 6 months, leadership change
Substance Abuse Counselor (Current Employee) –  Waterville, MENovember 24, 2016
In a typical day I could see 2-7 patients, lead a group 3 times a week. EMR is easy to learn, coworkers helpful, minimal communication from management
Pros
out early in the afternoon
Cons
company benefits, team environment has deteriorated
Methadone Maintenance Substance Abuse Treatment
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Clearfield, PA 16830August 11, 2016
Opportunity for long term employment due to the demands of individuals seeking treatment and making positive efforts for their sobriety. Positives were hours and relationship with other counselors and willingness to help due to high work demands.

Cons: Difficult to get some patients to take the recovery process seriously. Management poor and more focused on numbers and business and not people's treatment in the short term.
Pros
Work hours, patients, coworkers other Counselors and nursing staff
Cons
management
Review
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Reseda, CAMay 9, 2016
A typical day at work is always a new experience, dealing with different cultures, out of state population and various job duties you always find yourself working hard and staying busy.
Pros
Great team building, client care, trauma informed care
Cons
distance
Fast pace with high stress levels.
Counselor with 50 clients and paperwork. (Former Employee) –  New Castle, PA 16101October 17, 2015
Fast pace with changing policies and rules. Management was working with changes as best they could, while trying to understand how to best apply these changes. The tools required to do the job were satisfactory as well as the staff interactions. I liked working with most of the clients and running groups.
Pros
working condition
Cons
amount of paperwork and caseload sizes
well balanced healthy work environment
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) (Former Employee) –  Providence, RINovember 23, 2015
a typical day would be to perform admissions, urine and drug tests, pregnancy tests for females, set up physical appointments with the doctor and dispensed methadone.
Pros
hours
Cons
dispensing methadone
Awesome crew to work with
Certified Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Castle, PAApril 18, 2015
I loved my job very much. Management was good. The job became more about getting patients for money then therapeutic means. The case loads went from 35 patients to 1 counselor. Now it is 50 patients to 1 counselor. Last I heard it will be 70 patients to 1 counselor. Working on my masters in Community Mental Health I am all about therapy and the clients needs.
Pros
The Director was awesome doing something every Friday for staff. Always celebrated birthdays.
Cons
Great co-workers but exhausting work
Employee (Former Employee) –  Township of Cranberry, PANovember 17, 2015
The people working there are great and care a lot about their clients. The system is metrics-driven, so management tends to get lost in the numbers and forget about the people.
discovery house
DRUG & ALCOHOL COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Sharon, paJune 4, 2015
I arrived at work very early in the morning and was finsihed working between 1-2 pm. I had my own office and worked with clients on everyday steps towards living a sober life. I found a lot of satisifaction in helping my clients work towards a sober and on a recovery program.
Pros
helping clients/people
Cons
success rate wasn't high
Out Patient Clinic opiate addiction
LPN, Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEDecember 15, 2014
A typical day at work I would take patients vitals, schedule, phone/fax RXs, Monitor UAs, call backs, prior authorizations for insurance.
I learned to be a better patient advocate
My co-workers were good team players and we always were there to help each other.
The hardest part of the job for me was not being able to do more for the patients
The patients and their children getting to know them (who they really were)
Pros
co-workers team players patients free meals at least once a month
Cons
home office not knowing what the job entailed
Some Pros, A lot of Cons
Substance Abuse Counselor (Current Employee) –  Farrell, PAAugust 10, 2014
My direct supervisors are great, however, our culture has been changing where religion is being brought more into the workplace. I am Christian, however, every hire over the past year and a half have all been evangelical Christians which I feel can lead to a tense work environment at times. Not to mention, I feel as though we were mislead in regards to how well we would be compensated for how good of a job we were 'supposedly' doing. Then it came time for last year's raises which were a complete slap in the face.
Pros
A lot of vacation time, 401k.
Cons
Everyone is overworked
Methadone Clinic
Counselor/ Administrator (Former Employee) –  Woonsocket, RIJanuary 7, 2014
It was a privilege to work each of the other employees at Discovery House. The staff was professional and everyone did their best to guide and teach in this high intensity environment. They were skilled professionals and role models for the counseling community. The hardest part of the job was familiarity of all the documentation required using SMART software. The most enjoyable part of the job was to work in individual or group sessions.
Pros
Busy, opiate experience, multi tasking
Cons
Not enough 1-1 offered to clients
Quality Methadone Maintenance Care
Per Diem Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MEJune 5, 2012
I learned some of my career's most valuable lessons with Discovery House. Methadone Maintenance Programs can be plagued by all sorts of irregularities. Discovery House had an outstanding dispensing systems that didn't allow for nurse error. Management was approachable and always expressed appreciation for a job well done. I have watched and waited for years to be able to return full-time. A Top Notch employer.
Pros
professional patient care
Cons
early morning reports
Fun place to work, but could use better hours and benefits
Administration Assistant/Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Layton, UTMarch 21, 2013
Walking around the building every 30 minutes, to secure the building, interact with patients, time management.
Management and co-workers are good to work with.
hardest part of the job, is not enough hours, irregular days, life balance doesn't exist. Must always be on call even when off duty. Also working only 5 hours a day 6 days a week with no time off, and it is hard to ask for time off even when you have vacation hours.
Most enjoyable part of the job is getting off early.
Pros
getting off early.
Cons
no benefits, days off, must always plan things around work, can never ask for time off.
Addictions education and therapy with adult opiate abuse clients
Addictions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Township of Cranberry, PAApril 1, 2013
Discovery House was a very active and creative place to work. We provided individual counseling and therapy to individuals with opiate dependance. Our day, however, began at 5 am, and ended at 1:30pm. The hours take some getting used to. However, the management provided adequate time off, and excellant benefits. The most enjoyable parts of the job were the clients.
Pros
the supporltive relationships with staff and ability to develop groups
Cons
starting work at 5am
Great teamwork and positive atmosphere.
CSW (Current Employee) –  Layton, UTMay 30, 2012
A typical day at work would be getting started right after clocking in and as the day progressed interacting positively with supportive co-workers to provide quality care. I learned about medically assisted treatment for opioid dependent patients.
Pros
great computer system for caseload, supportive team
Cons
low pay scale and no benefits
excellent continuing education, potential for growth
Opiate Addiction Specialist (Former Employee) –  Farrell, PANovember 27, 2015
A typical day begins at 0530 am. You will spend from 0530 to 1100 am with clinets, addressing theraputic need and social service needs. You will create and conduct at least 1-3 groups during the week.
During my time at discovery house, I learned how to be self sufficient, time management, the value of team work and patient care.
Co-workers at discovery house have years of combined experience in all fields of study in the psych/social field. It was a wealth of knowledge and everyone was encouraged to share. Co-workers were involved with each other on a daily basis and shared in work and work related fun activities.
The hardest part of the job is how thankless it can be. When you work with addiction there will be multiple set backs, massive failure, but also great success and that makes it all worth it.
The most enjoyable part was seeing a patient grow and learn from addiction and come out a smarter, healthier individual, that is responsbile for themselves and making process in society.
Pros
good work hours for kids, holiday/sick/personal time
Cons
dangerous population, case overload and burn out
Good people, terrible upper management
SUBSTANCE ABUSE COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  New Castle Pa.December 22, 2015
If you truly want to help others keep looking. The people that I work with are amazing, as is management, upper management at the corporate level though is terrible. This used to be a nice place to work. As per the state law we used to have a ratio of 1 counselor 35 patients and we were truly helping people. Now we are at 65 plus patients per counselor. All upper management cares about is money, not people. They have essentially turned us counselors into legal drug dealers selling their methadone. Methadone is a wonderful and effective treatment for opioid addiction when administered properly in a structured therapeutic environment. Now how ever its just prescribed and even tho the patients are still required to complete counseling they have taken away all of the tools that we used to make them accountable for their actions. The counselors are under pain and severely over worked. We were recently purchased by Acadia health and the conditions have gotten worse. I really like the people that I work with, but I got into this profession to help others and now Im faced with an ethical delema. Thats why I am looking to part ways.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Caseloads of 65+, overworked, under paid

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Discovery House. Our community is ready to answer.