Discovery House Employee Reviews

Very stressful work environment.
Counselor (Former Employee) –  New Castle, PA 16101September 24, 2017
Good crew of counselor co-workers and support staff. However, management did little to enforce client participation in required counseling hours which directly effected employee performance rating. During my employment the counselor case load went from 35 clients to 50. No additional compensation or other benefits went along with the increased work load. Management placed profit over quality of care.
Pros
Friendly work environment.
Cons
High turnover rate among clinical supervisors and program directors. Too much paper work.
A great place to work and grow
Kitchen coordinator (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CA 94553June 10, 2017
I can not review this establishment because of anonymity. It gave me the chance to prove my skills in maintaining the flow of a kitchen and proper sanitation.
Addiction services
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 16, 2017
A typical day began at 5 am, I facilitated group and individuals sessions, I worked with the nurse and doctors on the premises, and completed orientation for new clients beginning the program.
Pros
Early in early out.
Cons
Individuals behaviors often out of control.
fun
Addictions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Huntingdon Valley, PAMarch 17, 2017
nice place to work. Great work- life balance. Awesome hours. Rewarding job and great co-workers. Hours are 5 am to 1:30 pm. No weekends. Job can be stressful.
Productive and Fun Environment
Supervisor and Senior Substance Abuse Counselor (Current Employee) –  Woonsocket, RIMarch 10, 2017
Working in this company, staff comes together to help one another out and to support each other. Management staff works hard to boost morale and help clinicians grow as professionals.
Pros
Great clinical staff
Cons
lack of incentives and bonuses
Love the job, not the company
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIFebruary 1, 2017
A typical day for a counselor includes: doing intakes or groups, meeting with patients for scheduled counseling appointments, and meeting with patients for non-scheduled meetings (such as not being able to provide a u/a, patients returning from a hospital, etc.). My coworkers are great, my clinical supervisor is SUPERB but ever since Discovery House was bought out by Acadia it is not a good work environment. Vacation and holidays were taken away, health insurance coverage is not desirable, no guaranteed bonuses (even at Christmas) or other "perks". The employees work hard with nothing much to gain and we are all too stressed out. Very low employee retention rate. I've seen counselors leave after 6 months. Working for a large company like Acadia has proven that the higher ups don't care about the people actually working in their facilities. It's a shame that the patients are the one to suffer because of it.
Pros
great coworkers, fulfilling to see patients make positive change
Cons
low employee retention leading to frequent counselor changes for patient, limited to no bonuses, minimal raises, overworked employees, case loads of 80-100
Intensive work environment.
Intake Coordinator, Clinician (Former Employee) –  Waterville, MEJanuary 13, 2017
Typical day is non-stop from 5 am till end of day. Little concentration on an employees well-being. Lacks communication, some co-workers are supportive and attempt to be team players.
Pros
Nice building to work in.
Cons
No clear directives on issues presented.
Micromanagaed, Overworked and Burnout!
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Reseda, CAJanuary 1, 2017
Not only are you dealing with a difficult population but the higher management will ridicule your every move. You are there to help clients in difficult times and you are also a housekeeper. Hard to see which position the company is more concerned about. The director comes through the house and every employee is scared. Lots of burnt out employees that take it out on each other. It's an ulcer waiting to happen.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Stressful and not worth it.
Team work has deteriorated in last 6 months, leadership change
Substance Abuse Counselor (Current Employee) –  Waterville, MENovember 24, 2016
In a typical day I could see 2-7 patients, lead a group 3 times a week. EMR is easy to learn, coworkers helpful, minimal communication from management
Pros
out early in the afternoon
Cons
company benefits, team environment has deteriorated
I think the company it self is good. I think the people higher up need to know what the people down below are really doing.
CSUDC/Certified Substance Use Disorder Counselor (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTNovember 7, 2016
It's a good company if the management likes you. They don't care if you work through your lunch breaks or if you are burnt out
If you say anything you don't get help you get in trouble.
Pros
It could be a great place to work.
Cons
They dont care if you work through your lunch.
Methadone Maintenance Substance Abuse Treatment
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Clearfield, PA 16830August 11, 2016
Opportunity for long term employment due to the demands of individuals seeking treatment and making positive efforts for their sobriety. Positives were hours and relationship with other counselors and willingness to help due to high work demands.

Cons: Difficult to get some patients to take the recovery process seriously. Management poor and more focused on numbers and business and not people's treatment in the short term.
Pros
Work hours, patients, coworkers other Counselors and nursing staff
Cons
management
Review
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Reseda, CAMay 9, 2016
A typical day at work is always a new experience, dealing with different cultures, out of state population and various job duties you always find yourself working hard and staying busy.
Pros
Great team building, client care, trauma informed care
Cons
distance
Good people, terrible upper management
SUBSTANCE ABUSE COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  New Castle Pa.December 22, 2015
If you truly want to help others keep looking. The people that I work with are amazing, as is management, upper management at the corporate level though is terrible. This used to be a nice place to work. As per the state law we used to have a ratio of 1 counselor 35 patients and we were truly helping people. Now we are at 65 plus patients per counselor. All upper management cares about is money, not people. They have essentially turned us counselors into legal drug dealers selling their methadone. Methadone is a wonderful and effective treatment for opioid addiction when administered properly in a structured therapeutic environment. Now how ever its just prescribed and even tho the patients are still required to complete counseling they have taken away all of the tools that we used to make them accountable for their actions. The counselors are under pain and severely over worked. We were recently purchased by Acadia health and the conditions have gotten worse. I really like the people that I work with, but I got into this profession to help others and now Im faced with an ethical delema. Thats why I am looking to part ways.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Caseloads of 65+, overworked, under paid
excellent continuing education, potential for growth
Opiate Addiction Specialist (Former Employee) –  Farrell, PANovember 27, 2015
A typical day begins at 0530 am. You will spend from 0530 to 1100 am with clinets, addressing theraputic need and social service needs. You will create and conduct at least 1-3 groups during the week.
During my time at discovery house, I learned how to be self sufficient, time management, the value of team work and patient care.
Co-workers at discovery house have years of combined experience in all fields of study in the psych/social field. It was a wealth of knowledge and everyone was encouraged to share. Co-workers were involved with each other on a daily basis and shared in work and work related fun activities.
The hardest part of the job is how thankless it can be. When you work with addiction there will be multiple set backs, massive failure, but also great success and that makes it all worth it.
The most enjoyable part was seeing a patient grow and learn from addiction and come out a smarter, healthier individual, that is responsbile for themselves and making process in society.
Pros
good work hours for kids, holiday/sick/personal time
Cons
dangerous population, case overload and burn out
well balanced healthy work environment
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) (Former Employee) –  Providence, RINovember 23, 2015
a typical day would be to perform admissions, urine and drug tests, pregnancy tests for females, set up physical appointments with the doctor and dispensed methadone.
Pros
hours
Cons
dispensing methadone
Great co-workers but exhausting work
Employee (Former Employee) –  Township of Cranberry, PANovember 17, 2015
The people working there are great and care a lot about their clients. The system is metrics-driven, so management tends to get lost in the numbers and forget about the people.
Fast pace with high stress levels.
Counselor with 50 clients and paperwork. (Former Employee) –  New Castle, PA 16101October 17, 2015
Fast pace with changing policies and rules. Management was working with changes as best they could, while trying to understand how to best apply these changes. The tools required to do the job were satisfactory as well as the staff interactions. I liked working with most of the clients and running groups.
Pros
working condition
Cons
amount of paperwork and caseload sizes
Good place to work, hours are great.
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJuly 17, 2015
Loved working with the patients. Learned a lot in this job. Lots of team work. Nice not working weekends, only as necessary.
discovery house
DRUG & ALCOHOL COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Sharon, paJune 4, 2015
I arrived at work very early in the morning and was finsihed working between 1-2 pm. I had my own office and worked with clients on everyday steps towards living a sober life. I found a lot of satisifaction in helping my clients work towards a sober and on a recovery program.
Pros
helping clients/people
Cons
success rate wasn't high
Awesome crew to work with
Certified Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Castle, PAApril 18, 2015
I loved my job very much. Management was good. The job became more about getting patients for money then therapeutic means. The case loads went from 35 patients to 1 counselor. Now it is 50 patients to 1 counselor. Last I heard it will be 70 patients to 1 counselor. Working on my masters in Community Mental Health I am all about therapy and the clients needs.
Pros
The Director was awesome doing something every Friday for staff. Always celebrated birthdays.