Discovery House Employee Reviews in United States

Good people, terrible upper management
SUBSTANCE ABUSE COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  New Castle Pa.December 22, 2015
If you truly want to help others keep looking. The people that I work with are amazing, as is management, upper management at the corporate level though is terrible. This used to be a nice place to work. As per the state law we used to have a ratio of 1 counselor 35 patients and we were truly helping people. Now we are at 65 plus patients per counselor. All upper management cares about is money, not people. They have essentially turned us counselors into legal drug dealers selling their methadone. Methadone is a wonderful and effective treatment for opioid addiction when administered properly in a structured therapeutic environment. Now how ever its just prescribed and even tho the patients are still required to complete counseling they have taken away all of the tools that we used to make them accountable for their actions. The counselors are under pain and severely over worked. We were recently purchased by Acadia health and the conditions have gotten worse. I really like the people that I work with, but I got into this profession to help others and now Im faced with an ethical delema. Thats why I am looking to part ways.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Caseloads of 65+, overworked, under paid
excellent continuing education, potential for growth
Opiate Addiction Specialist (Former Employee) –  Farrell, PANovember 27, 2015
A typical day begins at 0530 am. You will spend from 0530 to 1100 am with clinets, addressing theraputic need and social service needs. You will create and conduct at least 1-3 groups during the week.
During my time at discovery house, I learned how to be self sufficient, time management, the value of team work and patient care.
Co-workers at discovery house have years of combined experience in all fields of study in the psych/social field. It was a wealth of knowledge and everyone was encouraged to share. Co-workers were involved with each other on a daily basis and shared in work and work related fun activities.
The hardest part of the job is how thankless it can be. When you work with addiction there will be multiple set backs, massive failure, but also great success and that makes it all worth it.
The most enjoyable part was seeing a patient grow and learn from addiction and come out a smarter, healthier individual, that is responsbile for themselves and making process in society.
Pros
good work hours for kids, holiday/sick/personal time
Cons
dangerous population, case overload and burn out
well balanced healthy work environment
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) (Former Employee) –  Providence, RINovember 23, 2015
a typical day would be to perform admissions, urine and drug tests, pregnancy tests for females, set up physical appointments with the doctor and dispensed methadone.
Pros
hours
Cons
dispensing methadone
Great co-workers but exhausting work
Employee (Former Employee) –  Township of Cranberry, PANovember 17, 2015
The people working there are great and care a lot about their clients. The system is metrics-driven, so management tends to get lost in the numbers and forget about the people.
Fast pace with high stress levels.
Counselor with 50 clients and paperwork. (Former Employee) –  New Castle, PA 16101October 17, 2015
Fast pace with changing policies and rules. Management was working with changes as best they could, while trying to understand how to best apply these changes. The tools required to do the job were satisfactory as well as the staff interactions. I liked working with most of the clients and running groups.
Pros
working condition
Cons
amount of paperwork and caseload sizes
Good place to work, hours are great.
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJuly 17, 2015
Loved working with the patients. Learned a lot in this job. Lots of team work. Nice not working weekends, only as necessary.
discovery house
DRUG & ALCOHOL COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Sharon, paJune 4, 2015
I arrived at work very early in the morning and was finsihed working between 1-2 pm. I had my own office and worked with clients on everyday steps towards living a sober life. I found a lot of satisifaction in helping my clients work towards a sober and on a recovery program.
Pros
helping clients/people
Cons
success rate wasn't high
Awesome crew to work with
Certified Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Castle, PAApril 18, 2015
I loved my job very much. Management was good. The job became more about getting patients for money then therapeutic means. The case loads went from 35 patients to 1 counselor. Now it is 50 patients to 1 counselor. Last I heard it will be 70 patients to 1 counselor. Working on my masters in Community Mental Health I am all about therapy and the clients needs.
Pros
The Director was awesome doing something every Friday for staff. Always celebrated birthdays.
Good experience
Physician's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clearfield, PAJanuary 27, 2015
I had generally busy days. Most co-workers were very helpful and we worked as a team.
Out Patient Clinic opiate addiction
LPN, Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEDecember 15, 2014
A typical day at work I would take patients vitals, schedule, phone/fax RXs, Monitor UAs, call backs, prior authorizations for insurance.
I learned to be a better patient advocate
My co-workers were good team players and we always were there to help each other.
The hardest part of the job for me was not being able to do more for the patients
The patients and their children getting to know them (who they really were)
Pros
co-workers team players patients free meals at least once a month
Cons
home office not knowing what the job entailed
Enjoyed going to work every day
Nurse manager (Former Employee) –  Clearfield, PANovember 7, 2014
Loved working with the patients and seeing that they can improve their lives with help
There isn't any team work among the departments
Pros
lunches provided for certain days
Cons
no trust among co workers
The hours are agreeable for mothers
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 17, 2014
The hours are agreeable for mothers.
My coworkers are friendly and helpful.
The job is not difficult.
Some Pros, A lot of Cons
Substance Abuse Counselor (Current Employee) –  Farrell, PAAugust 10, 2014
My direct supervisors are great, however, our culture has been changing where religion is being brought more into the workplace. I am Christian, however, every hire over the past year and a half have all been evangelical Christians which I feel can lead to a tense work environment at times. Not to mention, I feel as though we were mislead in regards to how well we would be compensated for how good of a job we were 'supposedly' doing. Then it came time for last year's raises which were a complete slap in the face.
Pros
a lot of vacation time, 401k.
Cons
everyone is overworked
Great team of people
Certified Substance Use Disorder Counselor (Current Employee) –  Sugar House, UTMay 10, 2014
Dosing window opens at 5:30 am, closes at 11:00. Discovery House cares about their patients
Methadone Clinic
Counselor/ Administrator (Former Employee) –  Woonsocket, RIJanuary 7, 2014
It was a privilege to work each of the other employees at Discovery House. The staff was professional and everyone did their best to guide and teach in this high intensity environment. They were skilled professionals and role models for the counseling community. The hardest part of the job was familiarity of all the documentation required using SMART software. The most enjoyable part of the job was to work in individual or group sessions.
Pros
busy, opiate experience, multi tasking
Cons
not enough 1-1 offered to clients
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Discovery House
Charge RN. Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UtahNovember 14, 2013
Enjoyed clients and coworkers. Still have lasting friendships from there.
Good company overall
Senior Counselor (LSAC) (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTOctober 28, 2013
DH has an excellent structure from Home Corp, to the local clinic. However, some rather archaic and antiquated views at the top impede progress from stated goal of increasing tx base.
Pros
well structured
Cons
"old-style views"
Addictions education and therapy with adult opiate abuse clients
Addictions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Township of Cranberry, PAApril 1, 2013
Discovery House was a very active and creative place to work. We provided individual counseling and therapy to individuals with opiate dependance. Our day, however, began at 5 am, and ended at 1:30pm. The hours take some getting used to. However, the management provided adequate time off, and excellant benefits. The most enjoyable parts of the job were the clients.
Pros
the supporltive relationships with staff and ability to develop groups
Cons
starting work at 5am
Fun place to work, but could use better hours and benefits
Administration Assistant/Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Layton, UTMarch 21, 2013
Walking around the building every 30 minutes, to secure the building, interact with patients, time management.
Management and co-workers are good to work with.
hardest part of the job, is not enough hours, irregular days, life balance doesn't exist. Must always be on call even when off duty. Also working only 5 hours a day 6 days a week with no time off, and it is hard to ask for time off even when you have vacation hours.
Most enjoyable part of the job is getting off early.
Pros
getting off early.
Cons
no benefits, days off, must always plan things around work, can never ask for time off.
The best employment i've ever had.
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTJanuary 30, 2013
A typical day working at Discovery House starts at 5:30am with my first appointment.From 5:30am on until 11:00am i alm in session giving counseling to clients and meeting with there familys. I also run multipul group counseling sessions throught the day. I learn from my daily experiances that each patients mind has the ability to see change we as counselors just lneed to keep the mind fuled and engaged. Team meetings with fellow counselors and management gives way for reflection and education on onew skills wo use and old skills to brush up on. The hardest part of my day is not emabling my patients by giving them the answers instead of leading them to the doorways, allowiung them to reach the intended goal by their own power and will.The most enjoyable part of my day and work is when a patients light goes off in their head and they understand what they need to do in order to live drug free.
Pros
getting off work at 2pm
Cons
waking up at 4am to make my first appointment.

4.2