Discovery Learning Center Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
New owner changing everything and not complying with minimum standards
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXAugust 20, 2017
Horrible place to work. New owner changing things. Took away our vacation days that we previously earned and won't give back to us. Kids don't get a propert portion when comes to meals for the kids. The facility is not cleaned but maybe twice a week, if that. New owner cuts corners in areas that should not be cut. She waters down all the soap, hand soap or soap for the dishes. Almost got closed down for not complying with the Health department.
Pros
Cons
If you have a problem don't voice because it only points a target on your back
Only thing to love is the kidz
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAAugust 17, 2017
Yes this is a family business so if you are cool with the family then you will become a favorite. Rules are only for new people if you been there for a long time you can do what you want too. Teachers will walk out of the room to go to the front to talk about everyone. Family will come in and let you know about what going on in the family good/bad and by the time they are back the whole center will know. Teachers flirting with married father's and say anything out of their mouth.
Pros
Lunch is for only the center favorite people
Toddler Instructor (Former Employee) –  Marrero, LAJune 27, 2017
Working at Discovery Learning Center taught me a lot of the office and administrative side. I leaned the business and how to work with children and in the office.
Pros
Good structure
Cons
No advancement
Hectic
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Mays Landing, NJJune 12, 2017
The job was hectic at times. It was very routine. We had to get approval the day before if we wanted to take the kids out even if it was a nice day out.
Family based dynamic workplace
LIFEGUARD AND GROUNDSKEEPER (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 11, 2017
Discovery is a family owned businesses, so they treat all of them employees as well as the children and there families as such. Work is ever changing, you will be with the same aged kids, however the daily curriculum changes by day. Management is always available to listen and assist with requests.
Pros
Free luches, weekends off
Great learning experience
Lead Teacher, Mobile Infants (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SD 57108April 24, 2017
Working here taught me that my love of children is stronger than i knew! I very much enjoyed teaching the mobile infants new things everyday and helping them proceed to the next level.
Na
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dolton, ILApril 16, 2017
This place is a great company to work for. I learned a lot of teching skill and management skills here. children learn each day while in this center. Great place
Management lost custody of her own foster kids due to abuse
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Eldridge, IAMarch 13, 2017
Management is not what they seem. Please do not leave your children here. Kicked a toddler, grabbed by arm, threatened another staff member while holding an infant.
Pros
Free lunch, convienent hours.
Cons
Low pay, very rude manager.
lovable children make your day!
CHILD-CARE WORKER (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXMarch 1, 2017
Stay on schedule teach children, feed them, change them and take care of them. The most difficult part was having the children get along and not hurt each other since I would have 5 babies to myself. A lot of the children were the youngest in their house or the only child so getting them to share was a difficult task. The rewarding part was knowing that the parents were satisfied with the job well done of taking care of their little ones and seeing how they would cry to stay with you and not wanting to leave meant that you were important to that child.
Pros
discount on child care for my child and 1 hr. lunch
Cons
no place for advancement no room to grow
Fun and rewarding place to work
Assistant Teacher/Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDFebruary 14, 2017
Caring for children is such a rewarding job. Coming to work knowing you will make a difference in their lives is amazing. I learned a lot about how to deal with different situations with kids. Management is very flexible and understanding.
Not a good place to work!
Cook (Former Employee) –  Eldridge, IASeptember 15, 2016
I agree with April 2016's review. You could do nothing to please management. One week of training, very bad. Work in food all my life, but not in a day care setting, that was not taken to consideration when doing age required meal portions.Was to know that aspect of cooking immediately. Had three writes ups put in my file one day for things that were not covered in training. When interviewed, no mention of be a janitor also. No Communications between teachers and other staff until the last minute from management.
Pros
Loved the drive to and from work.
Cons
its and O.K. place to gain some experience
Teacher assistantt/Bus driver (Former Employee) –  Crossett, AR 71635July 7, 2016
it could be a great place to work and get good experience but if they weren't so backwards with the way that they conduct their business and not be so strict.
Worst place I've ever worked for
Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Eldridge, IAApril 16, 2016
Horrible, horrible, horrible place to work. The job itself isn't bad if you love children but the management and a few staff make it unbearable. Management plays favorites (alot of the people are family members), rules apply only to the people the don't really like. They will bad mouth you to other staff, right in front of kids. You could do everything possible to be perfect and the owner and her daughters will always have something negative to say about you/the way you do something. Nothing you do is ever good enough. They will not give you you're 1 break if they don't feel like it, no matter how long you work that day. They are always understaffed because they can't keep anybody. Some staff will smile to your face & then go trash talk you to other staff & management. It's honestly like being in junior high school again. I have worked at a few different places in my life & this place was the worst company I have ever worked for, hands down. They allow the kids with behavior problems to constantly punch, slap, spit & cuss at other children & staff every single day all day & won't do a thing about it, so many staff have walked out because of it. Money is the only thing that matters to them & it's very sad.
Great, Flexible Workplace
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Eldridge, IAJuly 7, 2015
Very laid back, safe, fun place to work. Family owned and operated. I love it here!!!!!! They are a great place to work for
Pros
Free lunches, flexible schedules
Managment needs improvement
Pre-K Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus,OhioApril 22, 2015
Children learns best in a structured enviroment and that was my main obstacle there.I had a hard time keeping the students attetion because the poor structure method.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Not enough actvities in class
I really enjoyed working here
Lead infant room teacher (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls,SdJanuary 20, 2015
I worked Monday through Friday. I loved working with the babies. The hardest part of the job was the hours my boss wanted me to work thirty six hours a week on top of taking sixteen credit hours. I needed to leave to give more of my time to my education
Good opportunity to build relationships with professors
Discovery Learning Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 8, 2014
I was assisting with atmospheric research for the head of the Aerospace department at CU Boulder. My work was mostly with statistical analysis in Matlab, attempting to correlate lightning data to El Nino/La Nina phenomenon. The guidance from the professor as well as the PhD student also working on the project was decent, but I wish there was a little more supervision and training.
Very fun place to work
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAJanuary 14, 2014
I took kids to and from school from the day care center, I assisted teachers as needed, and I prepared snacks. I also created a snack menu, grocery list and did the shopping for the day care. I loved working with the kids and learning from the teachers and owner. The hardest part about the job was being able to afford the day care for my then young son.
A comfortable work place
Teacher for Three Year Olds (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 3, 2013
Discovery was an amazing place to work. I enjoyed the homey feeling from the environment, to the staff and children. And the parents are amazing, and a few become personal friends.
Pros
the children
Cons
hours being cut
Working with children was fun and I learned alot
Lead Toddler Teacher (Former Employee) –  Harker Heights, TXSeptember 27, 2012
I enjoyed working there because we were able to talk about the importance of religion
Pros
working with kids and being involved with the parents
Cons
they would not deal with children who were sexually abused

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Discovery Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.3