District of Columbia Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Productive & Fun Workplace
General Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 14, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the growth in students throughout the year. A typical day at work includes a phonics lesson, whole-group and small-group reading, literacy stations, math, and specials. Working with a class of 26 students without an aide has helped me to develop excellent management skills.
Pros
adequate planning time
A place for growth professionally and personally
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Alabama AvenueJuly 8, 2016
The ideals and practices of DCPS are awesome. Like other urban school systems, the focus is on raising student test scores. Sometimes the individuality of the teacher and student is lost in this battle. If you are placed under strong, diverse-thinking leadership, you will flourish.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Impact system
fast paced, active work environment
Deputy General Counsel (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCJune 24, 2016
This agency is constantly changing which can be exciting for the creative type. The opportunity to be involved in high level change activity is high.
Great experience!
Randle Highlands ES, Assistant Principal (Current Employee) –  1650 30th St SE Washington D.C.June 16, 2016
Honestly great culture, the only challenging part is budget in payroll our business manager handles that. Making decisions regarding staff members personal lives, balancing procedures and not being insensitive.
Pros
Great community and school culture
Cons
Lot of changes year to year from the District level
Stressful but great financial incentives
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 16, 2016
The IMPACT evaluation system makes teaching even more stressful, but the financial incentives do make it worth it. DCPS is also mindful of giving teachers opportunities to grow and move into leadership roles. All of the vacation time and getting out at 3:30 further sweetens the deal... Most of the students are also inspiring to work with and generally want to learn and succeed.
Pros
Salary, bonuses, vacation time
Cons
Constant evaluation, student behaviors, early hours
Teacher
General Educator/Special Educator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 20, 2016
DCPS is a great school district to work for. A typical work day can be anywhere from 7-6 each day. While here I have learned that everyone has their own story and it takes a certain amount of patience and love to be able to work with underprivileged children. At Kramer Middle school we have a strong sense of community and our principal is very supportive of staff. The hardest part of the job is that I tend to take it home with me. There is always work to be done. The most enjoyable part is when we see students succeed.
Pros
When a child moves on to be a successful member of the community.
Cons
The children sometimes come in with a host of different issues that you must overcome.
Growth and Development
Director of Strategy & Logistics (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 19, 2016
You will be exposed to various management and work styles. Learning to navigate and remain relevant are essential skills for longevity. You are considered a veteran after only three years.
It was just beginning
Reading Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 1, 2016
This school was a great place for a starting point in my teaching career. Lacked good professional environment. Although, I have made very good connections with others while working here including parents.
Dissapointing with two thumbs down.
Instructional Coach (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCApril 23, 2016
This organization needs a top down restructuring. Too many people in charge don't have a clue what they are doing. Principals are poorly trained, AP'S are below standards. Sad to see this quality of education in the nation's capital. It is my pleasure to exit this catastrophy.
Pros
Lots of experience as what not to do as an educator
Cons
Culture and climate in classroom, Lack of support from Administrators, Poor professionalism
Dc
Assistant Principal (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 14, 2016
Very tough environment that does not support students who need special education services. I'd like a more rewarding environment and a place who understands my need to be supported for my hard work.
Great Experience
Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 21, 2016
• Provides school support by participating in school meetings, Individual Education Plans (IEPs), classroom observations, and teacher staff engagement meetings
• Outreach coordinator to over 150+ families in Ward 7 by conducting outreach programs and serving as a community liaison
• Collecting and developing community research from 150+ families in Ward 7
stressful, non-professional management
Dean of Students/ISS Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 27, 2016
Non-Professional principals who make decisions based upon personal feelings versus professional input and creditbility
Pros
great benefits
Cons
stressful, unprofessional, low pay, high expectations of work ethic
n/a
educational aide/Ballou SHS (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 15, 2016
If you want a challenge and save lives,this is the place for you.Challenging population, students with literacy issues.
Fantastic Experience!
Occupational and Physical Therapy Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 28, 2015
Working with DCPS allowed me to develop, monitor and love a program that was umbrella for 4 programs (OT, PT, AT and Adapted PE at the beginning of my tenure, and then OT and PT only). Managing approx. 65-70 wonderful professionals and servicing almost 2,000 students was challenging, exciting, rewarding, hard, and made me master my problem solving abilities.
Pros
All benefits
Cons
Long working hours
School Psychologist
School Psychologist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 9, 2015
Work as a school psychologist at DCPS is defined by evaluating students to assist in making a determination on their eligibility for specialized instruction as defined by the IDEA 2004 and DCMR criteria.
Pros
summers off
Cons
long commute
teaching
teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 1, 2015
I was given inadequate resources, some of the staff was petty and jealousy abounded where some felt they where older than you ands this should be paid more. A typical day was a bit stressful due to behaviors and I was placed in cold parts of building with little light .... was a music teacher and told not to make music noise. I felt little supported.
Unorganized
trainer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 12, 2015
Working here is like being in an high school environment. Certain member of management like to micro manage - the option to work from home is NOT an option even though the technology exists .
Mixed Views
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 30, 2015
Co-Workers are great and the kids are what any one would expect of teenagers.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to see the students you started with as 9th graders graduate and become productive after high school graduation.
Mixed
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 24, 2015
I began as an assistant in the Head Start program. My lead teacher was a kind, knowledgeable professional. I truly enjoyed supporting her; the students were wonderful. However, my heart is in Special Education. I accepted a position at Roosevelt High School.

That experience was, at best, heartbreaking, at worse, traumatic. It seemed to me that most teachers were trying as best they could; but they were bullied and undermined by administration. DCPS seemed to have had no knowledge of Transition Special Education --even though it has been in place throughout the country for at least the past twenty years. The result is that students were lost who might have thrived and had a future.
Pros
The new mayor seens to be working to improve the quality of DCPS.
Cons
The culture of the District does not support getting rid of tenured personnel who are abusive, a deteriment to students and by extension, to the community.
Dont like it
SIS Support and Training Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 21, 2015
Micro Management is a big thing here - workers are focused on what other are doing more so than there own work. I would not recommend working here unless you want to re-visit high school

District of Columbia Public Schools Reviews by Location