District of Columbia Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Teacher
General Educator/Special Educator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 20, 2016
DCPS is a great school district to work for. A typical work day can be anywhere from 7-6 each day. While here I have learned that everyone has their own story and it takes a certain amount of patience and love to be able to work with underprivileged children. At Kramer Middle school we have a strong sense of community and our principal is very supportive of staff. The hardest part of the job is that I tend to take it home with me. There is always work to be done. The most enjoyable part is when we see students succeed.
Pros
When a child moves on to be a successful member of the community.
Cons
The children sometimes come in with a host of different issues that you must overcome.
It was just beginning
Reading Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 1, 2016
This school was a great place for a starting point in my teaching career. Lacked good professional environment. Although, I have made very good connections with others while working here including parents.
Dissapointing with two thumbs down.
Instructional Coach (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCApril 23, 2016
This organization needs a top down restructuring. Too many people in charge don't have a clue what they are doing. Principals are poorly trained, AP'S are below standards. Sad to see this quality of education in the nation's capital. It is my pleasure to exit this catastrophy.
Pros
Lots of experience as what not to do as an educator
Cons
Culture and climate in classroom, Lack of support from Administrators, Poor professionalism
Dc
Assistant Principal (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 14, 2016
Very tough environment that does not support students who need special education services. I'd like a more rewarding environment and a place who understands my need to be supported for my hard work.
Great Experience
Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 21, 2016
• Provides school support by participating in school meetings, Individual Education Plans (IEPs), classroom observations, and teacher staff engagement meetings
• Outreach coordinator to over 150+ families in Ward 7 by conducting outreach programs and serving as a community liaison
• Collecting and developing community research from 150+ families in Ward 7
stressful, non-professional management
Dean of Students/ISS Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 27, 2016
Non-Professional principals who make decisions based upon personal feelings versus professional input and creditbility
Pros
great benefits
Cons
stressful, unprofessional, low pay, high expectations of work ethic
n/a
educational aide/Ballou SHS (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 15, 2016
If you want a challenge and save lives,this is the place for you.Challenging population, students with literacy issues.
Fantastic Experience!
Occupational and Physical Therapy Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 28, 2015
Working with DCPS allowed me to develop, monitor and love a program that was umbrella for 4 programs (OT, PT, AT and Adapted PE at the beginning of my tenure, and then OT and PT only). Managing approx. 65-70 wonderful professionals and servicing almost 2,000 students was challenging, exciting, rewarding, hard, and made me master my problem solving abilities.
Pros
All benefits
Cons
Long working hours
School Psychologist
School Psychologist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 9, 2015
Work as a school psychologist at DCPS is defined by evaluating students to assist in making a determination on their eligibility for specialized instruction as defined by the IDEA 2004 and DCMR criteria.
Pros
summers off
Cons
long commute
teaching
teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 1, 2015
I was given inadequate resources, some of the staff was petty and jealousy abounded where some felt they where older than you ands this should be paid more. A typical day was a bit stressful due to behaviors and I was placed in cold parts of building with little light .... was a music teacher and told not to make music noise. I felt little supported.
Unorganized
trainer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 12, 2015
Working here is like being in an high school environment. Certain member of management like to micro manage - the option to work from home is NOT an option even though the technology exists .
Mixed Views
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 30, 2015
Co-Workers are great and the kids are what any one would expect of teenagers.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to see the students you started with as 9th graders graduate and become productive after high school graduation.
Mixed
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 24, 2015
I began as an assistant in the Head Start program. My lead teacher was a kind, knowledgeable professional. I truly enjoyed supporting her; the students were wonderful. However, my heart is in Special Education. I accepted a position at Roosevelt High School.

That experience was, at best, heartbreaking, at worse, traumatic. It seemed to me that most teachers were trying as best they could; but they were bullied and undermined by administration. DCPS seemed to have had no knowledge of Transition Special Education --even though it has been in place throughout the country for at least the past twenty years. The result is that students were lost who might have thrived and had a future.
Pros
The new mayor seens to be working to improve the quality of DCPS.
Cons
The culture of the District does not support getting rid of tenured personnel who are abusive, a deteriment to students and by extension, to the community.
Dont like it
SIS Support and Training Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 21, 2015
Micro Management is a big thing here - workers are focused on what other are doing more so than there own work. I would not recommend working here unless you want to re-visit high school
I enjoyed working with mainstream students in the middle schools and high schools in the District of Columbia Public Schools We worked as a grade l
Retired Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 9, 2015
We worked as a grade level team on the middle school level . I learned management skills. The hardest parto of job was when students did not like to do homework
A challenging opportunity for personal growth.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wshington DCOctober 6, 2015
Children come first and with that, I must work past my own shortcomings to help children believe in themselves--that they can positively contribute to society.
Many of the children are intellectually sound. They can learn and every now and then show it. However, I am more concerned with the behavior. There are too many of our children who go astray and when poor behavior in school is not addressed adequately, children will be lost.
There should be more support for the teachers when it comes to discipline. The majority of a teacher's energies shouldn't be spent on discipline.
Also,teacher to student ratio is crucial. the lower the ratio is, the better the learning environment is for students. I am a firm believer that one-on-one teaching is the most effective method for learning.
Pros
Personal spiritual bonding with children
Cons
no health benefits; too little pay;
high stress
Assistant Principal (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 6, 2015
Very stressful workplace but has great compensation and benefits
My middle school students were the best part of my day. They looked to led and guided with care and concern. our grade level team was PHENOMENAL. They were dedicated, committed, genuine teachers that were often criticized by administrators who had never taught and never used the techniques that weren't working for our teachers. It was stressful because many of us er voiceless.
Pros
students, the team, compensation, and parental involvement
Cons
stressful workplace
Provides education to students
Social Worker, Special Education Division (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 1, 2015
I was a School Social Worker who provided Psychosocial counseling to students based upon their IEP. The IEP was developed based upon the presentations of all tem members who had worked with the student in a multidisciplinary approach. I was assigned to various schools. Therefore, I had to adjust to the climate of the particular setting. However, knowing that my work with the student would have a positive impact upon their life was rewarding.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  District of ColumbiaSeptember 29, 2015
Ran by a Local Government. Decent amount of politics. If your focus is children, this is the place for you. Most enjoyable part...working with children.
Learned alot enojyed working with co workers
File Room Clerk (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  1200 First St NESeptember 25, 2015
Enjoyed working with my co workers. Calm environment to work in for the most part. On a daily bases I Pulled requested files scanned and validated personnel files in KoFax system sorted and alphabetized loose documents. This was a great learning experience learned how much it takes to be able to work in the DC school system.