District of Columbia Public Schools Employee Reviews

Challenging to get specific duty requirements. No guarantee for contract renewal.
IT Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 9, 2016
Good environment for a Tier 1 experience. New technology is not pursued aggressively. Job experience does not seem to match compensation. No guarantee on next year's appointment.
Stressful but great financial incentives
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 16, 2016
The IMPACT evaluation system makes teaching even more stressful, but the financial incentives do make it worth it. DCPS is also mindful of giving teachers opportunities to grow and move into leadership roles. All of the vacation time and getting out at 3:30 further sweetens the deal... Most of the students are also inspiring to work with and generally want to learn and succeed.
Pros
Salary, bonuses, vacation time
Cons
Constant evaluation, student behaviors, early hours
A place for growth professionally and personally
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Alabama AvenueJuly 8, 2016
The ideals and practices of DCPS are awesome. Like other urban school systems, the focus is on raising student test scores. Sometimes the individuality of the teacher and student is lost in this battle. If you are placed under strong, diverse-thinking leadership, you will flourish.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Impact system
Educational Leadership
Associate Principal - Cardozo Education Campus (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 26, 2016
Effective Leadership in education is essential to the development of our children. Academically and socially, students need to be supported, structured, and guided by educators with a deliberate focus on students overall development. My 18 years of experience has allowed me the opportunity to build the necessary skills to support not only student development, but also leadership development of aspiring educational leaders. I'm truly excited for what the future holds, and I look forward to a new and meaningful challenge.
Life-long learner, caring and devoted school leader
Principal (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 5, 2016
My typical day began with a list of tasks compiled each day added with the tasks for that day. I would eagerly began being mobile by greeting students and staff . I learned to set priorities and follow through on them. Management was exemplary, always there to offer suggestions and resources. Co-workers were hard-working and committed to touch every student's life they came in contact with. The hardest part of the job was not being aware of everything that was around you. The most enjoyable part was seeing our students excelled and excelling well.
Pros
Having great students
Cons
No cons
A challenging opportunity for personal growth.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wshington DCOctober 6, 2015
Children come first and with that, I must work past my own shortcomings to help children believe in themselves--that they can positively contribute to society.
Many of the children are intellectually sound. They can learn and every now and then show it. However, I am more concerned with the behavior. There are too many of our children who go astray and when poor behavior in school is not addressed adequately, children will be lost.
There should be more support for the teachers when it comes to discipline. The majority of a teacher's energies shouldn't be spent on discipline.
Also,teacher to student ratio is crucial. the lower the ratio is, the better the learning environment is for students. I am a firm believer that one-on-one teaching is the most effective method for learning.
Pros
Personal spiritual bonding with children
Cons
no health benefits; too little pay;
Fantastic Experience!
Occupational and Physical Therapy Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 28, 2015
Working with DCPS allowed me to develop, monitor and love a program that was umbrella for 4 programs (OT, PT, AT and Adapted PE at the beginning of my tenure, and then OT and PT only). Managing approx. 65-70 wonderful professionals and servicing almost 2,000 students was challenging, exciting, rewarding, hard, and made me master my problem solving abilities.
Pros
All benefits
Cons
Long working hours
review
Art Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCAugust 18, 2016
Last year was my first year in DCPS, and I was a shared teacher ( part time at 2 schools). Given my lack of experience, it was a very stressful transition into that career choice. However, I love the time spent with my students and have started to develop a love for teaching. I hope to find another position and continue advancing.
stressful, non-professional management
Dean of Students/ISS Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 27, 2016
Non-Professional principals who make decisions based upon personal feelings versus professional input and creditbility
Pros
great benefits
Cons
stressful, unprofessional, low pay, high expectations of work ethic
Stabled job
Educator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 10, 2016
DCPS is a good company, but can be challenging with work and balancing personal life. They pay well when compared to other Public Schools in other States.
Pros
Great pay compared to other Public Schools
Cons
Can be overwhelming
high stress
Assistant Principal (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 6, 2015
Very stressful workplace but has great compensation and benefits
My middle school students were the best part of my day. They looked to led and guided with care and concern. our grade level team was PHENOMENAL. They were dedicated, committed, genuine teachers that were often criticized by administrators who had never taught and never used the techniques that weren't working for our teachers. It was stressful because many of us er voiceless.
Pros
students, the team, compensation, and parental involvement
Cons
stressful workplace
Productive & Fun Workplace
General Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 14, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the growth in students throughout the year. A typical day at work includes a phonics lesson, whole-group and small-group reading, literacy stations, math, and specials. Working with a class of 26 students without an aide has helped me to develop excellent management skills.
Pros
adequate planning time
System is currently in transition and recent leadership changes will continue to positively impact the DCPS system.
Transition Specialist Counselor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 10, 2016
System has much potential and continues to transition regarding educational standards and curriculum development. Recent administrative leadership changes should help advance current progressive initiatives.
A typical day at work
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 27, 2016
I really like teaching. Since being with the children, my passion has grown even more to be in the classroom! Working with DCPS there are many opportunities.
Not for the weak
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 11, 2014
Being an educator is tough enough. However, working in DC Public Schools has taught me how to be a more well-rounded educator and person. I do not just teach my children science on a daily basis, but also character development and in some cases, how to trust an adult again. If you provide structure to a child in this Urban setting, you will be successful. If you come to educate children in an Urban setting with the desire to help them in any and every way, you will be successful. If you can come to an Urban environment with no bias towards the children and the socioeconomic status of many of the students, you will be successful. The most important thing about teaching in an Urban school district is to be there for the kids and not the paycheck...they know who is there for them and who is there for themselves. They need more people in their lives that want to be there for them...they will their trust in you if you begin to show you trust them as well.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Long hours, juggling ALL the roles you play besides just a teacher
Teacher
General Educator/Special Educator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 20, 2016
DCPS is a great school district to work for. A typical work day can be anywhere from 7-6 each day. While here I have learned that everyone has their own story and it takes a certain amount of patience and love to be able to work with underprivileged children. At Kramer Middle school we have a strong sense of community and our principal is very supportive of staff. The hardest part of the job is that I tend to take it home with me. There is always work to be done. The most enjoyable part is when we see students succeed.
Pros
When a child moves on to be a successful member of the community.
Cons
The children sometimes come in with a host of different issues that you must overcome.
Teaching Environment
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 8, 2016
DCPS is where I learned what effective teaching looks like and how to engage students in worthwhile and relevant courses of study.
Never a dull moment.
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 11, 2015
A typical was busy,never a dull moment. Most days there was some type of "emergency" where someone needed my help with something that should have come to my office two weeks prior. I always worked hard to make it happen with little or no notice. It always made me feel good knowing that it was all for the children.
Benefits
Cons
I don't recommend this system to work for
Annonymous (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 27, 2014
A typical day at work is hectic. I've learned how to interact with students and be a team player. Management is often disorganized and confused which makes it hard for me to carry out my duties for the day. This causes unnecessary stress. The hardest part of my job is not being certain of what to do since management is confused. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping students learn.
Pros
Helping students learn is rewarding
Cons
Salary, Payroll often loses track of your leave balance/pay, Confused management, Stressful environment
Great experience!
Randle Highlands ES, Assistant Principal (Current Employee) –  1650 30th St SE Washington D.C.June 16, 2016
Honestly great culture, the only challenging part is budget in payroll our business manager handles that. Making decisions regarding staff members personal lives, balancing procedures and not being insensitive.
Pros
Great community and school culture
Cons
Lot of changes year to year from the District level

Ask a question about working or interviewing at District of Columbia Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

District of Columbia Public Schools Reviews by Location