District of Columbia Public Schools

District of Columbia Public Schools Employer Reviews

Great benefits
Teacher Residency (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 25, 2015
The work environment was not the safest, the staff were great to work with but discipline was a daily struggle and sometimes the students would not get consequences.
Great Place to Make a Difference in the Lives of DC's Children
Substitue Teacher (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 12, 2015
DCPS is committed to providing quality education to all its pupils. As a substitute teacher preparing to become a full-time teacher, DCPS has shown itself to be committed to its staff and students, alike.

If you are looking for an exciting career and appreciate the support given, then DCPS is the place to be!
I loved working there.
File Clerk (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 6, 2015
I loved working there learning from management and my co-workers was a great experience for me, The part I love most meeting new people.
Accounts Payable Technician
Office of Chief Financial Officer (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 17, 2015
Cons: at will employee, high turn over, no job stability, politics
1999-2009-Accounts Payable Technician
process invoices (vendor payments, travel & reimbursement vouchers, attorney fees, special education payments, reconcile monthly statements, microsoft excel, word, PASS, IQ, SOAR)

2009-2015 - Team Lead
supervise 5 technicians in addition to all the above
Lacking
Data Systems Trainer (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: great expeirence
Cons: no career ladder
Management is lacking, and people are chosen to run different departments with no knowledge or experience within that department
Productive day
Education Department Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 11, 2015
A typical day is I would arrive around eight o'clock in the morning. I would finish working on papers from the day before.
One of the best research centers in the world
Substitute Teacher Grades K-12 (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 22, 2014
It's one of the best place to work, friendly and nice co-workers. A great atmosphere for research and opportunity for career development.
General Music Teacher (Current Employee), Eastern HighDecember 21, 2014
I enjoy working with co-workers and helping them realize their potential as growing leaders. I believe all educators have the ability to become effective leaders which is why providing support, professional development, and collaboration is essential.
DCPS is a great place to work
Long Term Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Washington, DCDecember 10, 2014
DCPS is a great place to work. It provides great opportunities for a lot of people.
Challenging and Rewarding Work Goals
Special Education Specialist (Former Employee), 1200 First Street 9th Fl, NE Washington, DCDecember 5, 2014
Pros: got to visit the individual schools and meet with the different special education teams.
Cons: school clusters were to large to monitor for the highest quality of services.
Improving the quality of special education services was the goal of my team. As a special education specialist I provided support to a cluster of elementary schools to promote the highest quality of special education services. I worked with principals, special education coordinator and special education teachers to advise and monitor guidelines set forth by monitoring agencies.
Stressful
Educator (Current Employee), Washington, DCDecember 4, 2014
After fifteen years in the education profession, I decided to teach in DCPS. It has turned out to be the least rewarding experience I've had as an educator. Working tirelessly at what has now become too stressful and unsatisfying. My passion for teaching has been completely destroyed.
GOOD PLACE
Paraprofessional (Current Employee), Washington, DCNovember 21, 2014
cant complain it is ok my particular school is a little unprofessional but that may not be the same for all schools and their isnt much room for moving up. It is a good job just not a great carrer choice
I don't recommend this system to work for
Annonymous (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 27, 2014
Pros: helping students learn is rewarding
Cons: salary, payroll often loses track of your leave balance/pay, confused management, stressful environment
A typical day at work is hectic. I've learned how to interact with students and be a team player. Management is often disorganized and confused which makes it hard for me to carry out my duties for the day. This causes unnecessary stress. The hardest part of my job is not being certain of what to do since management is confused. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping students learn.
Not for the weak
Teacher (Current Employee), Washington, DCOctober 11, 2014
Pros: pay, benefits
Cons: long hours, juggling all the roles you play besides just a teacher
Being an educator is tough enough. However, working in DC Public Schools has taught me how to be a more well-rounded educator and person. I do not just teach my children science on a daily basis, but also character development and in some cases, how to trust an adult again. If you provide structure to a child in this Urban setting, you will be successful. If you come to educate children in an Urban setting with the desire to help them in any and every way, you will be successful. If you can come to an Urban environment with no bias towards the children and the socioeconomic status of many of the students, you will be successful. The most important thing about teaching in an Urban school district is to be there for the kids and not the paycheck...they know who is there for them and who is there for themselves. They need more people in their lives that want to be there for them...they will their trust in you if you begin to show you trust them as well.
A rewarding and enjoyable workplace
Health, Physical education teacher (Former Employee), Washington, D.C.September 25, 2014
Pros: support of the parent teachers association
Cons: the short preparation time
It was a fun workplace and productive because it has all the essential facilities to work with. The staff and community were very supportive of the Physical Education program. The most challenging part of the job was getting the students to stop the activity. They enjoyed it that much. The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching the students how to perform and believe in themselves.
The individual School I worked at was very educational and rewarding
Registrar/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: being a moral role model for stuents
Cons: having the responsibility of at least 3 workers and being paid as a student just out of college.
As a teacher and overall school worker, I enjoyed working with students in a helping manner to bring their skills up to advanced.
Since the school was losing money if they did not have a certain number of students that were sufficient or advanced in Reading, Math and Language.

The school system went thru an overall change when a
New chancellor was appointed by the Mayor. The new policies that was made did not allow for seniors to be employed past the age of
55 to 60. Of course its illegal to say based on your age, so people were excessed or asked to take a pay cut that amounted to half or below half the pay they were currently making. The only area I agreed with was getting rid of teachers who was not functioning at their best or who no longer had the children's interest in their daily functioning.
I also agreed with the dismissal of any employee who was not functioning at their capacity.
The school I worked at was a wonderful school, the Assistant Principal, at that time, was great with the staff and the parents. We received a new Principal who was also good with the parents and with establishing school policy.
A atmosphere of academic excellence.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 24, 2014
DCPS is constantly evolving to ensure every DC pupil receives a top notch, up to date, quality education.
Okay place to work
Office of Special Education (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 17, 2014
DCPS is an okay place to work. Good work life balance and management is very nice and supportive. A lot of policital games in the company however.
managment
Behavioral Technician (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 1, 2014
In working with management, I was able to express new ideas and received positive feed back.
Ok place to work
Program Support Specialist (Current Employee), Washington DCJuly 17, 2014
Pros: working with different people
I'm just thankful to have a job, Since I been with the company the agency name has change several times

1 2 3 4