District of Columbia Public Schools

District of Columbia Public Schools Employer Reviews

Flexible, quaint office
Teacher (Former Employee), Washington, DcMarch 4, 2014
Slow paced environment. It is perfect for someone who is entering administration.
Very productive
Custodial Worker (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 17, 2014
It was very interesting working with {DCPS}. You meet all kinds of people. The pay rate was very nice.
Productive and gratifying place of employment
Principal, Managing Dirrector of School Turnaround (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: being present and interacting with all stakeholders.
Cons: i cannot think of any.
A typical day at work is from 07:00 to 20:00. It is filled with unpredictible encounters and positive interactions with several stakeholders. My co-workers are a committed and like-minded group of people. The hardest part of the job is steeped in encounters with community members who do not believe in the potential success of our students. The most – more... enjoyable part of the job is just being there. – less
Coached the middle school basketball team promoting team work
Residential Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 12, 2013
Pros: working with young adults
Cons: no health care
Served as a Substitute Teacher / Behavioral counselor for the District of Columbia Public Schools, and taught both comprehensive / special education students with emotionally disturbed/conduct disorders. Successfully managed seven 40-minute periods of classroom instruction for approximately 30 students.

Taught various subjects to inner-city students – more... (grades K-12) with emotional and social disorders. Coordinated with teachers’ aides, administrators, social workers and parents to evaluate and tailor programs to accommodate their child’s educational needs. Taught socially acceptable conduct; facilitated rewards and incentives programs to reinforce positive behavior.

Employed behavior analysis / assessments techniques to detect and mitigate conflicts. Instructed students on basic developmental skills including goal setting attainment, emotional and financial independence, and self-empowerment. Maintained accurate and complete student records; prepared reports on students and activities required by laws, district policies, and administrative regulations. – less
An amazing place to be a part of change and advance education for children and the community
Child Find Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Washington, DCOctober 22, 2013
*The work is very entrepreneurial, yet team-oriented
*Data-driven, yet equally focused on the quality of services and change within the community
*Diverse and friendly staff
I enjoyed working for District of Columbia Public Schools.
Culinary Arts Instructor (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 15, 2013
Pros: employment in the school system included extensive travel and paid in-service training experiences.
Cons: funds for the culinary program were not appropriated at the beginning of the school year.
A typical day, while working as an instructor, with the District of Columbia Public Schools included planning and preparing for instructions and administrative responsibilities prior to the arrival of students. As a teacher, I attended faculty meetings in the morning, or after school, as required. My day also required me to prepare for evening school – more... instructions; I taught adults who enrolled in the culinary program the same lessons as provided for day school students.

Managerial responsibilities included the following: contacted parent regarding absences, administered examinations and maintained test records, collected data, maintained attendance records, compiled information for Principal's reports, issued books, completed requisition for supplies, and arranged out of state class travel.

As a teacher, I connected with a group of highly regarded professionals who demonstrated integrity and keen insight into the educational process to help young people achieve and matriculate to schools of higher learning. These co-worker valued the process of assisting each other in team-teaching and in motivating students.

Some aspects to the job were hard during my tenure. I operated an under-funded culinary program. Many years, I spent personal funds to supply food and equipment in order for students to be able to participate in the food laboratory. Very often I carried laundry home in order to have clean linen for the next day.

The most enjoyable experience included teaching and preparing students to contend in local and national competitions. Participation in the Careers through Culinary Arts Program and the ProStart Student Invitation provided a career perspective for students to receive scholarships in the amount of up to $90,000. My students always won the local competitions and were awarded travel opportunities to participate in national competitions. – less
great benefits
Custodial Maintenance (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 8, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: they take money out your check
typical day is very stressful. you end up doing other peoples work, short lunches, and no job security, your always expendable.

The people are great AND THE PAY IS GOOD
Great School System
Educator (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 4, 2013
I enjoyed working for this school system. I felt respected as an educator.
I have a lot of Experience in DCPS so it was very nice and experimental working with Principals, Teachers and Students of all cultural
Assistant Custodian Foreman (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 23, 2013
Very Exciting. Nice Experience. Health Benefits and Salary was excellent and Job Security is not so good but that's life. But overall I enjoyed.
School-based PT- nice working condition
School-based Pediatric Physical Therapist (Current Employee), washington dcJuly 17, 2013
Nice working condition, nice working in a multi-disciplinary team
Wonderful place to work
Teacher/ Administrator (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 5, 2013
Productive way to work with children, great co-workers, demanding job
room for advancement
Teacher (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 3, 2013
fulfilling and challenging population. enjoy working with children. state of art schools with plenty of resources.
Awesome HR Team
HR Answers Analyst, Employee Services (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 24, 2013
Very fast-paced environment. There is never a dull moment. If you are looking for constant change, this is the place for you. My day consists of answering 50-100 calls before lunch and processing employment verifications for former and current employees. There is a lot to learn and sometimes not enough time but it comes with the territory of working – more... in Human Resources. – less
Teacher
1st Grade Teacher (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 28, 2013
• Strong leadership and management skills with a firm, however gentle approach towards each individual circumstance.
• An excellent ability to concurrently multi-task while meeting rigorous performance standards and demanding schedules.
• A strong ability to individualize and prioritize responsibilities, while demonstrating professionalism in and out – more... of the work place. – less
Working as a temp
HR Program Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 28, 2013
I was here on a temp contract. I updated documents human resources actions by completing forms, reports, logs, and records. Also when I started this position my department was in the final step of back to school preparations, making sure the teacher were in the system and ready to start.
Good Work-Life Balance
Sr. Quality and Process Improvement Lead (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 27, 2013
For the most part, DCPS is good for maintaining a positive work-life balance and working with very intriguing personalities.
Difficult but rewarding
8th Grade English Teacher (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 7, 2013
Most difficult aspects of job include working with urban students (Title 1), most enjoyable part of the job is working as a team within your school to make a difference.
It was a fun and fast paced work enviornment
Instructional Aide (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 18, 2013
I interacted with the customers, helped them with locating products. The hardest part of the job were the rude and irate customers. I learned how to be patient and put the customers first.
Enjoyed making a difference in the lives of DC Youth
Office of the Chief Financial Officer (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 2, 2013
Pros: easy access from my home
Cons: monthly parking fee was extremely high
Served as executive assistant to the Chief Financial Officer for the District of Columbia Public Schools. Our office assisted the Chancellor and the Mayor in developing the district’s annual budget, represented the District in the federal appropriations process and monitored the District’s budget performance during the fiscal year.

The hardest part – more... of the job was having an ever-changing direct supervisor. The position of CFO was filled by 6 different people in a 2-year period.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when I had the occasion of visiting the schools and actually meeting the youth and seeing some of the new programs being installed and used by personnel. – less
Great Position
Paraprofessional (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 18, 2013
Pros: wonderful work enviroment
Enjoyed working with students and teachers. Assisting teachers and students was very rewarding.

1 2 3