District of Columbia Public Schools Employee Reviews

Enjoyable teaching position, very rewarding at the end of the year.
ELEMENTARY TEACHER (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 21, 2015
Pros: Can be home with your children during holidays, summers and shortly after they arrive home from school.
Cons: Lesson planning and checking papers at home.
Arrived at school prepared classroom for the day. Pick up students and begin the daily routines of teaching and learning. In all my years of teaching I have learned to be prepared and manage your classroom well. The hardest part of my job was dealing with uncooperative parents and getting them involved in their child's education. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing students grasp the information being taught.
A good company to make a difference for the students in DCPS
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee), Ballou STAY, HSAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Staff Development, and benefits
Cons: teachers' contracts
A productive work environment with politics. Students in DCPS need their teachers given resources and more support not discrimination with in-group favoritism; amongst young inexperienced administrators without education degrees.
Never a dull moment.
Business Manager (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Management
A typical was busy,never a dull moment. Most days there was some type of "emergency" where someone needed my help with something that should have come to my office two weeks prior. I always worked hard to make it happen with little or no notice. It always made me feel good knowing that it was all for the children.
Day to Day
Computer Education Assistant (Former Employee), Washington,DCAugust 5, 2015
• Provided specialized instructional techniques and media through individual
and/or group sessions designed to meet the educational, social and emotional needs of the students
• Helped to develop appropriate materials that were grade-related and transcribed lesson into Braille for blind students or large print for low vision students.
• Stayed closely aware of progress of projects, high-level initiatives, and emerging issues across DCPS organization; informs the Director, Transition of developments that impact or change the direction of programmatic priorities.
great committment to student growth
Montessori guide (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 2, 2015
DCPS has made much stride is raising the academic and social emotional growth of students over the years. There has also been major increases in student enrollment and a greater number of offerings in AP classes for high school students.
at will employment
Supervisor Name and Telephone (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 14, 2015
Pros: no support
Cons: no support
classroom teachers are at will while working in the District of Columbia , although the school system has improved somewhat - the classroom environment is slowly catching up.
Productive experience
School Administrator (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 9, 2015
Pros: Enhanced students productivity as a leader
Cons: New administration took away Teachers Union
Provide leadership to educational and support staff in providing optimal academic and social development for students within the District of Columbia
Assist with teacher recruitment and hiring and staffing of assigned school
Evaluate credentials of teacher applicants to ensure proper placement in educational environment
Recruit teachers for upcoming school year by attending college job fairs and district-wide staffing events
Interpret State Superintendent and Board of Education policies and procedures to staff to ensure compliance with the No Child Left Behind Act.
Provide and facilitate workshops – more... and seminars for professional development opportunities for educational staff on a weekly and as-needed basis
Direct the research, development, and evaluation of instructional products, materials, and programs
Establish partnerships with private sector organizations, nonprofit businesses and other community stakeholders to enhance student achievement by providing new learning opportunities for over 700 students annually
Determine long-term and short-term school-wide goals and develop strategic plans for achievement
Analyze data to determine appropriate education program to meet each teachers strengths
Accomplishments:
Strengthened and improved the education program in two District of Columbia Public Schools by recruiting and training over 40 new teachers annually
Enhanced the communication and involvement of government agencies and community organizations in order to improve the quality of service provided to students
Received monetary incentives and rewards for excellent service in education supervision
Improved teacher morale by implementing mentorship and incentive programs
Instructed over 150 school leaders on topics regarding student achievement, supervision, and communications – less
good work, not so good at managment
Deputy Chief of Operations (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 6, 2015
Good people doing good work but there are communication issues and a lack of transparency. Many people use it to launch there careers. Also not much room to grow in upper management.
DCIAA Leadership ????
Assistant Athletic Director (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 18, 2015
Pros: Pay
Cons: Leadership
The school system is great. The leadership is less than desirable. It about power and control and not about the teachers, students or parents.
Productive Place to Work
Administrative Aide (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 17, 2015
During my years while working here in the District of Columbia Public Schools I was satisfied in the the way that I was treated. I received good evaluations and I met many educators and many of liked people. My typical day at work was filled with Class Coverages, Answering and Greeting Visitors and Parents and Students as they came to the school Main Office. Answering the Phones and etc., The management is very nice. I have learned a lot while working in the District of Columbia Public Schools for 25 years learning how to explore and working with the Staff and Parents and Students. The hardest part of the job.
Loved working with the students.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee), Washington D CMay 5, 2015
Pros: The children were great.
Cons: Little suport when needed.
I like the working with the students. My co working were very helpful. There were very little supplies and support from the power to be.
Challenging yet rewarding.
Dean of Students (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 22, 2015
Pros: Salary and benefits.
Cons: Cronyism
My job can be challenging most days and it is not the students who pose the greatest challenges but the adults. I've learned that one of the biggest components of leadership is the ability to effectively deal with the attitudes and behaviors of some colleagues. The most enjoyable part of my job is watching students and staff grow in their respective roles within our school community.
Fast pace work environment.
Records Management Specialist (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 20, 2015
Working in Central Office is a great place to work. You have to be able to work in a fast pace environment. One of the best enjoyable parts of the job is you work with co-workers, who are passionate about education.
Excellent
Guidance Counselor (Current Employee), Washington DCMarch 27, 2015
This was a warm and rich environment. They cared about their employees. There were many opportunities to grow,learn,and lead.
Great benefits
Teacher Residency (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 25, 2015
The work environment was not the safest, the staff were great to work with but discipline was a daily struggle and sometimes the students would not get consequences.
Great Place to Make a Difference in the Lives of DC's Children
Substitue Teacher (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 12, 2015
DCPS is committed to providing quality education to all its pupils. As a substitute teacher preparing to become a full-time teacher, DCPS has shown itself to be committed to its staff and students, alike.

If you are looking for an exciting career and appreciate the support given, then DCPS is the place to be!
I loved working there.
File Clerk (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 6, 2015
I loved working there learning from management and my co-workers was a great experience for me, The part I love most meeting new people.
Accounts Payable Technician
Office of Chief Financial Officer (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 17, 2015
Cons: at will employee, high turn over, no job stability, politics
1999-2009-Accounts Payable Technician
process invoices (vendor payments, travel & reimbursement vouchers, attorney fees, special education payments, reconcile monthly statements, microsoft excel, word, PASS, IQ, SOAR)

2009-2015 - Team Lead
supervise 5 technicians in addition to all the above
Lacking
Data Systems Trainer (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: great expeirence
Cons: no career ladder
Management is lacking, and people are chosen to run different departments with no knowledge or experience within that department
Productive day
Education Department Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 11, 2015
A typical day is I would arrive around eight o'clock in the morning. I would finish working on papers from the day before.