District of Columbia Public Schools Employee Reviews

Fun Workplace
Dean of Students (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 10, 2017
I worked 8 + hours a day. Monday through Friday. Principle was very supportive and willing to work with you to accomplish your goals.Great place to work coworkers are friendly and supportive. Great support group.
Productive day at work
Bus Attendant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 10, 2017
Assisted children with transportaion to and from school, Wrote up miles and pick up time in bs manefest, Provided safety rules to school bus children, Ensure children was safely seated on the bus while being transported, Responsible for children safe return home, Assist with directing the children to and from classrooms if needed, Pick-up children if needed during emergency calls from school.
Pros
Assisting children to ensure safe arrival to school
Cons
Breaks in work hours
good pay, poor management, less resources for school
Clinical Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 9, 2017
Love the children and families

Resources could improve for the children served

School buildings up to standards for the families served

This system wants me to keep making comments about Dc Public Schools, that is all I can say right now
Pros
good pay
Cons
poor management
Great Supervisors
Training Specialist/Mediator (Former Employee) –  825 North CapitolOctober 7, 2017
Learned a lot from working in the Peaceable schools department. Working here made me go back for my master's degree in HRD. I visited every school in the district to implement a mediation program and sometimes to train teachers.
Pros
learning about the different cultures in each school
Cons
Seeing some teachers who should not be teachers
Very Busy
LICENSED SOCIAL WORKER (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 29, 2017
It is very demanding. A lot of work to much to complete during a regular day. Normally one end up working evening and weekends 24/7. Children need many emotional supports.
Pros
Helping children
Cons
Administration
Good for entry/mid-level career experience
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 23, 2017
Equity is not practiced when it comes to advancement and salary, but there are some Pros depending on your team. Also, there a MANY different offices and types of jobs that you can get experience from. The Pro is, teams are generally smaller so you get experience developing many different skills. The Con is, you don't get paid for additional work above your Title/salary
Great Learning Place to Work
Food Service Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 19, 2017
The oversight of schools gives you the opportunity to meet many wonderful people in many different capacities. It's a great place to work!
Worked closely with Global Education
Department of Health
Pros
Working with other departments such as Global Education
Cons
Must be available 24/7
Schools
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 12, 2017
I worked in the low income area schools in the District. The computers were slow and outdated, the libraries were empty of books. However the teachers do the best with what they have.
So so experience
Director - Academy of Hospitality and Tourism (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 12, 2017
DC Public Schools have a very slow and complicated process in many department areas that make it difficult to advance progress at a pace that is required to be successful.
Poor Management
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2017
Most times, work was given to me many day after due date.The payroll department had challenges providing paychecks for me.
I would have to travel downtown DC, to receive my check weeks after assigned pay date.
Typical Day
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 7, 2017
My workplace culture is very fast paced. I had to be on alert at all times. Students have tantrums at a moments notice. The classroom has to be cleaned and prepared everyday before students arrive.
A great job that ended too quickly
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 6, 2017
This role was really good, though it took some serious time management to balance the work effectively. The management was terrific. I enjoyed working with the team.
Fast paced, constantly changing
Manager of Strategy and Logistics (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 6, 2017
Overall DCPS was a great place to work for. Still a lot a room for growth. Co-workers made it a family environment which was great. Systems and process could be updated
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Processes are outdated.
good benefits
Full Time Teacher-Johnson Middle School (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 17, 2017
working with the children and teaching them life skills. I have learned to keep my studies relevant to today's environment. The management is pleasant and desirable to work with. The workplace culture is beautiful. The hardest part of the job is learning the culture of the company. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with my co-workers.
benefits
Cons
healthcare, dental plans
Great Opportunity
Educator/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 16, 2017
I'm glad I had the opportunity to work at an inner city school where I was needed and felt I made a difference. The district is very large and difficult to manage well; however, DCPS is trying hard to improve. I believe it will get there!
Pros
Able to make a difference
Cons
Negative staff attitudes
Dpcs
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 15, 2017
DCPS is good place to work, but many of the schools are in neighborhoods that are less than desirable to be in. There is little to no room for advancement once you are in a school.
Dcps
IT Specialist/Computer Lab Coordinator/ (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 11, 2017
It is wonderful to work for dc public schools. great leadership and staff. Sometimes the kids need extra assistance but that is what you are there for sometimes learning curves are shown just work with them and through the situation.
Pros
great learning experience
Cons
not enough security
toxic work place, no school culture.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dunbar senior high schoolAugust 9, 2017
A typical day at work is toxic, of leadership, no communication between leaders and staff, lack of student discipline, no school culture, the hardest part of the job is dealing with an unprofessional adult. Most enjoyable is the students.
Pros
briging the gaps of student achievements.
Cons
no school culture ofr both students and staff.
Rewarding Experience
Computer Technology Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 6, 2017
Large scope of opportunity. In DCPS there is a lot of structure and you will learn so much through working with different teachers and service providers.
Great Opportunity
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 4, 2017
I loved working for the District of Columbia Public School System. GRowing up in dc schools I was give the opportunity to reach out to other children and change their outlook on the world