District of Columbia Employee Reviews

Ok place to work at
Budget Administration Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 28, 2017
Great Place to work, enjoyed working with co-worker. Not knowing what is coming at you day by day no structure. Managers are very vindictive only care about themselves.
Not a bad place to work
Contract Specialist (Contract Position) (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJuly 26, 2017
I was a contract specialist for DC Government through a staffing agency. My supervisor was firm yet fair. She taught me the skills that I needed to perform successfully.
Pros
very helpful, friendly staff
Cons
not many; slightly micromanaged and stickler for timed lunch breaks
Challenging Work Environment
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCMay 25, 2017
I enjoyed my DC Government career until 2008. I loved what I did and had great relationships with my colleagues. The work was challenging yet the office worked as a team. The hardest part of my job came in 2008 with the new directorship. There was constant change with little direction from management.
Because of the constant bullying the work environment became hostile and toxic.
Very difficult to work in.
Pros
Had my own office, coworkers, office location, salary, benefits
Cons
Hostile Work environment, bullying, no direction from leadership
Great
Treatment Manager (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDMarch 27, 2017
Great Opportunity and experiences gained through my tenure here at DC Government. I have grown professionally and I am grateful to the experiences and education the this job has afforded me
Job security is at risk if not part of the local personnel that have worked there for years.
Manager Analyst, CS-14 (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 28, 2016
This organizaion has a lot of building to consider within the hiring and management areas. They do not acknowledge the talent within the organization as well as promoting in experienced personnel.
Pros
Benefits were great.
Cons
Riddled with nepotism.
Working with the management team was enjoyable.
Occupational Safety and Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 5, 2016
Enjoyed going to work and performing my duties and responsibilities as an Occupational Safety and Health Specialist.
Great
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAAugust 1, 2016
This position will be responsible for planning, coordinating, and administering an ongoing training program for office automation systems throughout the organization. Working with the departments to understand their workflows, they will also assist departments in selecting and implementing the most useful technology to meet their business need
Predictive Analyst (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 16, 2016
Has been a contractor - very nice agency. I have been doing data analysis along with other technical assignments. Very nice team, super helpful and cooperative!
As I am not certain of what I am to review, I will decline to be specific.
Assessment Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 26, 2016
Entering my office, I would announce my presence to my employer, first to receive any immediate areas should they need to be addressed., if the employer is not present when I arrive.then I would retrieve the receipt of my e-mails as I would need to know the immediacy of any duties I may be responsible. In the course of the day, I would greet and interact with my co-workers, as I would learn subjects related to the environment of the agency. I would think the hardest part of my job would be to get others to follow-up on tasks that would be time sensitive. I enjoy the final results of my work.
Stable employment environment
Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbia, WAMarch 31, 2016
Provides a stable work environment, but upward mobility is based on who you know, and not potential skill match for the job. Work life balance is difficult; even though alternative work schedule and telework is District policy, not all mangers will allow the flexibility. New projects and change moves very slowly based on agency and District politics.
Pros
Great healthcare
Cons
Work life balance
Data Analyst/Program Monitor
Aided the QA/QC (Current Employee) –  Columbia, WAOctober 18, 2015
I begin each day with a daily utilization report. Once a month I do a user profile for the District. I use SQL Server and Microsoft Access to create forms for customers to see important benchmarks in real time. I mostly fix errors in the city's treatment accounting system and Medicaid payments. Very repetitive and consistent flow of work. Most of my tasks I perform in isolation.
Pros
Great pay, easy stress-free work load
Cons
Not challenging enough. I really miss engineering and the R&D world.
Good Government Job
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  washington, dcSeptember 24, 2015
That is how all of the employees act... As if they are scared to lose their good government job. We have laws concerning slavery and workers' rights for a reason. They cannot be enforced if everyone is walking around with their tale between their legs
Pros
job security
DC Government
Planning and Operations (Current Employee) –  2100 East Capitol Street SEMay 15, 2015
Is dynamic and exciting and I am able to provide assistance to the residents of my city. It is my pleasure to assist families who are not aware of the benefits and services that can improve their quality of life. While serving on active duty, I truly understand the need to be prepared in case of disasters, whether natural or domestic. Since our current threat level has increased, I am proud to be one of the manager of the Washington DC Joint Operations Center (DCJOC).

I manage the operation of communications, detection, and weapons systems essential for controlling air, ground, and naval operations. Duties include managing critical communication links between air, naval, and ground forces; formulating and implementing emergency plans for natural and wartime disasters; coordinating emergency response teams and agencies; evaluating command center information and need for high-level military and government reporting; managing the operation of surveillance and detection systems; providing technical information and advice on capabilities and operational readiness.
Pros
Still serving and keeping America safe
Fast Paced with a side of Political Jargen
Office of the State Superintendent of Education (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 20, 2015
A typical day includes ensuring that the Agency is with compliance with the ever changing policies that the District of Columbia has set forth. There is never two days that are similar. I feel that the most enjoyable part of my day is the interacting with government officials and staying on the cutting edge of new and proposed laws for the educational community.
Pros
Ability to bring into effect the educational needs of the citizens of the District
Cons
Tons of Political rhetoric
Everything you'd expect government to be and worse
Worker (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 30, 2015
I work for an agency that is supposed to do good things for residents of the District of Columbia, unfortunately the culture is that of incompetence, corruption and personal enrichment for the employees and their friends/family.
My duties intailed overseeing the facilites call center
Supervisory Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 29, 2015
Ensure that all calls are picked up in a timely manner from the customers. Ensure that all Facilty Maintenace Request are put in the system.
Pros
Healthcare
My DC Government Journey
Chief of Staff/Deputy Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 28, 2015
I thoroughly enjoy being a public servant at the local level, which allows me to see the difference that I am making in the lives of older adults, people living with disabilities and caregivers. For the last 8 years, I have awakened every morning excited about what the day has to offer and looking for new ways to make DC an age-friendly city. I am now looking for a career change and to do something new and welcome any opportunities that would be a natural fit.
Pros
Being Able to Directly Impact Residents
Cons
Having to Do More w/Less Resources
Enjoyed auditing various Medicaid programs
Senior Auditor-in-Charge (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 29, 2014
As a Senior Auditor, I worked closely with upper management. A typical involved data analysis, supervision, reviewing word papers and report writing. I learned various things about different Medicaid programs included fraud. I managed 1 or 2 employees and upper management allowed me to plan and conduct the audits. I did not find the day to day hard in any way. I really enjoyed dealing with the audit clients to uncover audit deficiencies within programs.
Pros
I really enjoyed Medicaid auditing
Cons
Salary
Wonderful coworkers and excited about the work and mission of the agency
Recruitment Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington DCAugust 20, 2014
I love the work I do and helping others. As the recruitment manager I always get excited about bringing on staff because they would assist with helping serve the children and the parents in the district get the necessary and adequate services needed.
Pros
comparable pay
Cons
high turnover
DC Gov is NOT for forward thinking professionals
Management (Human Resources) (Current Employee) –  Washington DCJune 23, 2014
DC Government has possibly the worst business & professional culture of any organization I've worked with in the past decade. Very unprofessional, a great majority of the employees benefitted from nepotism, unfair, unethical and borderline (if not) illegal hiring practices, antiquated systems and processes as well as the mindset of employees.

DC Gov is the perfect place for a "Yes Man". Most employees have been there for ages and could care less about productivity. They simply go through the motions and race out of there at 5pm, if not before. There is NO ACCOUNTABILITY. DC Gov management is even worse. There is absolutely no support given to or coming from managers. Most managers are afraid to lose their jobs so they assimilate and conform to group think.

If my tax dollars weren't being wasted, I wouldn't care about how poorly run DC Government is. I wouldn't care that the citizens of DC pay the salaries of these workers. I wouldnt expect more from a government that taxes its citizens but does not represent their interest. DC Gov has a LOOOOONG way to go. It would honestly take a complete overhaul to fix it. DC Gov is full of dead weight.

Do yourself a favor, don't even waste your time or talent working for an organization that does not value hard work.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Culture, Staff, Antiquated policies, procedures, systems and business culture