Division of Youth Services Employee Reviews in United States

open minded learning environment
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fulton, MOJune 25, 2016
spending time with trouble youth and facilitating daily routines such as meal time and chores while addressing thoughts, feelings, and peer perception of goal progression.
Pros
Open to creative though and highly encouraged
Cons
no objectible goal completion
A starting point
Office Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 26, 2015
Pros:
People are generally friendly and helpful.
Flexible work environment (I worked in a home)
Paid vacation & sick time (earned over time)

Cons:
Not a lot to do
fun
Camp Birmingham - Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 17, 2015
Working at the camp was fun. the children had bright personalities an kept us camp counselors busy which made the day go by fast. We was able to take them on many field trips such as skating rink an the zoo. Overall I would not mind doing this job again.
Pros
fun
Cons
Fun place to work no day is the same.
Youth Specialist II (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MoJuly 13, 2015
Interesting day everyday. Its nice to get in touch with the up and coming generation of youth that will one day make the decisions.
Pros
Got to interact with different youth from all walks of life.
Cons
Sometimes stressful working a lot of overtime hours.
difficult place to work with lackluster benefits; horrible hours but great people
Youth Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Waverly, MOMay 23, 2015
Typical days are few and far between in this line of work. It's a new adventure everyday, but unfortunately these adventures usually involved being cussed at and disrespected. Management was lackluster at best, not usually supportive of personal lives unless they could somehow benefit from it. The team that I worked with however, was great. Very supportive, understanding and empathetic people
Pros
free meals and full benefits
Cons
low salary, difficult work environment
Enjoyable.
Community Mentor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 17, 2014
Mentoring children was a typical day. We dealt with behaviors on a daily basis. I learned how to talk to the youth and give them better understanding of what they needed to know. My management team was supportive in every way and so were my co- workers. The hardest part of this position was watching the youth leave. The most enjoyable part was watching th youth grow.
ok not great , but fun job at times
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Poplar bluff , MoNovember 10, 2014
great people to work with , and ok pay but just not long term, you really have to separate yourself from the kids problems
Help with the youth
Internship (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, MOOctober 13, 2014
My day at work I worked with all the children with there basic needs. For example school work like help with the math . i helped the other co workers . i learned a lot from being as a internship about what youth services go through on daily basis. The most enjoyable part of the job was i got to work with children that really need some help with their lives to improve to better . i really liked working here it was a true experience.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not enough breaks given
Valuable treatment structure and great work culture.
Social Work Practicum Student/Community Mentor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJuly 11, 2014
I absolutely loved my experience with DYS! If I was full time I would have never left. I truly believed in the treatment system the agency ran by. The agency offered children with delinquent backgrounds to be housed in a treatment facility where 24/7hour staff were available and the youth learned skills to process their emotions and stressors to become more productive in society and turn from past behaviors. Once approaching discharge from the treatment facility a worker, such as myself, would engage the youth. This "mentor" helped the adolescent adjust back into the community through education assistant, job support, providing volunteer opportunities, building healthy relationships...whatever was needed. The agency also offered family therapy. The mentor often worked closely with the therapist, as well as the service coordinator, to best assist the family system.
Loved the team that I worked with!
Regional Family Specialist, Internship (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJuly 7, 2013
For the short period of time that I worked there during my practicum/internship I absolutely loved everyone I came in contact with; staff and youth alike. The supervisor for the unit was extremely understanding and caring for the youth and her employees. I loved going to work everyday!
Succesful solo practice that launched careeer at large firm
Youth Specialst II (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 18, 2013
I did good work here. I wore many hats and was given a great deal of autonomy. Most days began at nine at the Daley Center. I would attend court by sitting in the back and taking notes on arguments. Then I would go to the City Hall and back to the Daley center to file court documents. We would have lunch. I would meet clients in the office and follow up with relevant parties via fax and over the phone. I might have an afternoon court appearance and then I would catch the transit to my condo on South Shore Drive.
Pros
free lunch, open to stategize with counsel free shopping excursions and got to meet family.
Cons
pay was comensurate with intake
Rewarding job with exceptional benefits
Group Leader, Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 3, 2013
This job gives me the opportunity to utilize various skills I have masetered throughout my career. This is a rewarding job because I can see the impact I have made in lives of the youth and families I come in contact on a regular basis.
Great rehabilitation for youth
Youth (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 2, 2013
Hardest part of the job was working so hard with your client and seeing them go back to the same environment and coming back. Doing outside activities with the clients. Learned a lot about group therapy.
Pros
rehabilitation
Cons
pay
Division of youth Services
Counselor front desk person (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 14, 2013
Love working with the little ones a lot. I taught them a lot and they also taught me a lot.
Pros
learning all of my kids one by one.
Cons
attitudes
very stressful
youth specialist (Former Employee) –  Lawson, MODecember 30, 2012
On a typical day i would go with the juveniles to their classrooms and help them with their work. I would also check in with them every hour to see how they were feeling emotionally. I would conduct or help conduct group therapy sessions. I would also pass medications and log it. At times i would transport to appointments. The hardest part was when several juveniles would try to fight each other and i would have to restain them. The most enjoyable part was knowing i made a difference in their lives.
Pros
all the new trainings
Cons
the stress
productive and friendly workplace.
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MONovember 1, 2012
If you love to work with kids then this is a great place to help them become productive members of society.
Demanding place to work.
Director, Education and Training (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 11, 2012
This was a good job, but was demanding because contracts were performance-based. The job involved a lot of travel, seldom home.

A typical day was traveling, arrive at a site, spend several days on site, travel. I learned to work well independently. Management was sometimes unreasonable with requests if the performance of sites was unacceptable. Co-workers spent lots of time together as a team, so we were very cohesive.

The hardest part of the job was trying to get people at the sites to follow-through on the technical assistance provided to them.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being a telecommuter, having independence and flexibility when not on the road traveling.
Pros
telecommuting
Cons
reactionary management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Division of Youth Services. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2